“Horrific customer service”

Marriott's Aruba Surf Club
Ranked #15 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Reviewed 19 June 2014

A group of 8 ladies arrived at the Marriott on May 23, 2014 to attend the Soulbeach Music festival. At check in we were told we did not have any reservations though we confirmed it with our agent prior to travel. I asked to speak to a Manager several times and was told he was busy trying to figure it out. 2hrs later we noticed a man in a different color shirt pull the front desk clerk Genna off the register and assigned her to another, to check other customers in. We finally called him and asked him if he was the manager, he said yes and that he was aware of the situation. We asked him if it was too much to have come out and acknowledged us and apologize 4 our incovenience, since we were 8 hungry, angry stranded guests at his hotel? He said it wasn't their fault it was our agency/Mark Travel fault. Anothe hour went by and we asked where to eat, what to do and he again said they were not responsible for our meals since they don't see our reservations don't know if we paid 4 it. We are in Aruba all the way from Baltimore been us since 2 a.m.. He subsequently produced an email sent to a Melissa/Stacey from Mark Travel confirming our reservations on 2/14/14. He then reluctantly gave us the meal voucher. Four hours later, we got a room from Boris THE Manager, who never apologized and who said he never knew we wanted to speak to him. I told him as the Manager he should have came out and said something to us. They managed to pulll a room off "inventory" to give us. I called Marriott Corporate today 6/19/14 and spoke to Alonzo Petty who told me he agrees with the staff there and I should take it up with the third party I booked it through. As they never confirmed the reservation email with Mark TraveI, whatever that means, they received the email. I told him that he like the staff there has yet to say we are sorry you had a horrible experience checking in. Everyone is trying to do the blame game and ulltimately we the guests experienced the indifference from the staff there. A lesson learned is that an apology regardless of who is at fault goes along way, we will NEVER used Marriott AGAIN!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
8  Thank Kerri-Ann L
Ryan N, Corporate Customer Care Manager at Marriott's Aruba Surf Club, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Thank you for your TripAdvisor review, Kerri-Ann. It is never easy to hear when we have not met our guest expectations, however the feedback is important to us. We apologize your check-in experience was delayed due to our reservation error. As discussed with Alonzo, we would be happy to refund the first night for you. Again, thank you for your feedback and for visiting Marriott's Aruba Surf Club.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,865)

Reviewed 19 June 2014

My husband and I was coming to Aruba without the kids, teenagers. But we changed our mind and turned the trip into our daughters high school graduation present staying at the Aruba Surf Club. It was great. The staff was very pleasant and attentive to guest needs. We would definitely return. Also the beach was beautiful with no beggers. Clear water and relaxing.

Places to eat:
1. http://www.madamejanette.info/joomla2/
2. http://buccaneeraruba.com

We opted for a personal tour guide which was awesome because we created out own schedule. We were able to see all the local attractions and some extra sites as well and the cost was $45 an hour for four people. The guides name is Cerry - http://www.pitaruba.com. I actually found him via google and read several reviews he was great.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Syreeta A
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Our room was very nice, the staff are friendly and responsive, and the location was awesome - Eagle Beach. Some may consider it to be too busy as this is where the popular beach front bars and restaurants are located. Since it was just me and my husband it worked for us. I think this resort will be great for families and kids with their lazy river, pool slide, and activities. We definitely want to come back again!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JKAblaza
Reviewed 17 June 2014

After reading some of the reviews I was a little worried about how our week would work out. I own a week in Orlando and traded for a week at the Marriott Aruba Surf Club, June 2 - June 9.
Upon arrival we were promptly checked in, our room wasn't ready yet so we looked around the grounds and had lunch at the pool restaurant. By the time we finished lunch our room was ready. We had a great 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom on the 14th floor overlooking the pool and ocean. First morning I got up early and was down at the beach hut to reserve a papilla by 7:30. I was maybe 4th in line and quickly had a hut and chairs set up in a decent location on the beach . Day two we decided to sit around the pool, again I went down stairs about 7:30 and had no trouble finding 4 chairs with an umbrella. Next day we wanted to sit on the beach again so at 3:45pm I got in the beach hut line waited about 15 minutes and got a great hut 1 row from the ocean. We proceeded to do this the remainder of the week and didn't have any trouble getting a beach hut. There was $5.00 bloody marys and screwdrivers from 10am-12pm everyday as well has 2 for $15 happy hour everyday from 1pm-6pm. Service at the pool bar was good as well as on the beach. We actually got our drinks faster on the beach then by the pool. Atmosphere around the Ocean club was quieter but we liked the music and activity by the Surf Club, no screaming children, just lots of nice people. We did go into the Adult pool at the Ocean Club one day to look around, $16.00 for a plastic cup of wine, and not even good wine. I would say Surf Club is well worth it and would stay again in a heartbeat. Location is great you can walk into town for lots of restaurant and music choices or stay on the grounds.

Room Tip: Higher rooms will have a view, Foliage was really mature and would block the view from the lower ro...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank tootsemikayla
Ryan N, Corporate Customer Care Manager at Marriott's Aruba Surf Club, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

We are glad to hear we exceeded your expectations at Marriott's Aruba Surf Club! Thank you for your TripAdvisor review and we look forward to seeing you again in Aruba!

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Just got back from a week at this timeshare. Facilities are fantastic. Very kids friendly. plenty to do. great pools and lazy river. Beach is perfect .. Staff is fantastic does everything they can do to please. food at the pool is very good. Try it

Room Tip: make sure to ask for pool or ocean view
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 June 2014

This was our first time doing a time share transfer. We were unable to get the dates we wanted at the Ocean Club so a friend with kids recommended we stay at the Surf Club. She figured we were going at an off time and it should not be too crowded. Boy was she wrong! Before I go further I should preface all of this with the fact that we were there on our 1 Year Anniversary. The place is a zoo. DO NOT GO IF YOU WANT TO RELAX. The first day we woke up a little late and there was not a chair to be found. All the chairs had already been reserved. We went down to the beach and not a Palapa to be had. We soon learned that you had to be up and down by the pool before 7 to get a good seat. I actually prefer the beach so my husband was up and waiting on line at 6 for the palapa station to open at 7 and he was not even the first on line. The service by the pool bar is awful. Takes forever for someone to come over to you and the drinks are all watered down. Service at the restaurant by the pool was just ok. Go to Moomba's. Food and drinks way better. There are people walking around the beach with yellow shirts on who work for the Marriott and are supposed to take drink orders. All I ever saw them do was walk the beach. No one ever asked if we wanted a drink. My conclusion was that they don't need the money because there was money to be made. I would have ordered drinks all day. We were told we were allowed to use the facilities at the Ocean Club so we spent an afternoon there when my husband and I overslept. What a concept - oversleeping on vacation!! But if you oversleep you don't get a palapa or a good seat by the pool so we went to the Ocean Club. What a difference!! Plenty of chairs and some quiet. No sooner did we sit down we were asked if we would like a drink and to let them know when we were ready to order lunch. WOW!!! I thought this is so much better than the chaos at the Surf Club. Then a security guard came over and told us we did not have the right color towels. We could sit by the pool and they could take our money but we could not use our towels from the Surf Club and were not allowed to get any towels from the Ocean Club because we were not staying there. My husband and I are still laughing over the whole towel situation. Then we had young kids in the room next to us that were blasting music ever night. My husband asked them to kindly to lower it since we were trying to sleep. We are not unreasonable it was 1 in the morning. They did not seem to care because every night like clock work the music went on. We had to call the front desk a number of times. The last night we called security the security guard was knocking on our door. He wanted to let us know he asked them to lower the music. We were half asleep and did not need his update. We heard him banging on the door and the music went off. And secondly they should not be telling them where the complaint came from. It was not just us. We met a couple in the hallway and they said I guess they are starting the noise early tonight. She had ear plugs. Sorry I did not think I needed them. Would never go back. We spoke to others who have time shares at the Ocean club and could not get the dates they wanted so they ended up at the Surf Club and they felt the same way. Would not recommend staying here if you are looking for some peace and quiet and a little relaxation!!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Scubagurl412

Thank you for visiting Marriott’s Aruba Surf Club. We apologize your stay with us did not exceed your expectations as you were unable to relax. We would like to learn more about your visit and invite you to contact our Customer Care team at Customer.Care@vacationclub.com or at 800-860-9384. Thank you again for your feedback and for visiting us in Aruba.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

We stayed at the Surf Club in May-there were 8 of us-2 were first timers to the resort. We all had a fantastic time!! I felt compelled to write a review after reading from a previous poster who was obviously confused at what resort he was staying at-the Tradewinds program is at the Marriott Stellaris hotel, NOT at the Surf Club!!! Each Marriott property has it's own pool and facilities to enjoy and are not shared amongst the guests at all three resorts. We have been staying at this wonderful resort for the past 8 years-sometimes twice a year. We have brought many friends who have also fallen in love with Aruba and the Surf Club and keep coming back-just didn't want a first timer considering this resort to be confused!! Go and see for yourself what a great place this truly is-no we do not go in Jan, Feb, or March, but May, June, Sept, and Oct-it is NOT super crowded and a hassle to get chairs (but then again I am an early riser and I DO NOT pay to reserve my beach palapa!! ) We relax and enjoy this beautiful resort and it's fantastic, friendly staff and amenities!!

Room Tip: High floor with a pool/ocean view
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Kathy H
Ryan N, Corporate Customer Care Manager at Marriott's Aruba Surf Club, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

We love you too, Kathy! Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor and we look forward to your next visit to Marriott's Aruba Surf Club!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm - Eagle Beach
Marriott's Aruba Ocean Club
Marriott's Aruba Ocean Club
#11 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba
The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba
#13 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#9 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & Casino
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & ...
#10 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and C...
#12 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino

Been to Marriott's Aruba Surf Club? Share your experiences!