“Marriott's Aruba Surf”

Ranked #16 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
“Marriott's Aruba Surf”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

The MASC is beautiful. The lazy river was extremely nice and the beach is just a few steps away. We heard lots of information about the hut rentals. But, if you reserve a day in advance, you shouldn't have any problems. We didn't eat at the property because we have been there before and we have lots of favorite restaurants on the island. I would highly recommend the Marriott Surf Club to couples or family w/kids. It is "One Happy Island!"

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor so you can see the ocean from your balcony.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Dramajames
Ryan N, Corporate Customer Care Manager at Marriott's Aruba Surf Club, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Thank you for you five-star review of Marriott’s Aruba Surf Club! We are delighted to learn you and your family enjoyed your stay at the resort. We greatly appreciate your comments and recommendations and hope to see you again soon on your next trip to Aruba!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (779)
  • Korean first
Bethpage New york
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

There were 15 of us. Oldest 73 youngest 6. We plan a family vacation here because my in laws own timeshare through the Marriot. We have been to this resort three times and I honestly can say it is one if my favorite vacation spots. Yes Aruba is windy but the weather is always beautiful, beach is calm and everyone loves the lazy river. (Bring your tubes.. You can blow them up at the resort) My advice to anyone who goes here is to check in and immediately go food shopping. Have breakfast and lunch in the room. Bring a cooler down to the pool. (Beer soda juice). Aruba is an expensive island so it will help keep the cost down. Enjoy!

Stayed July 2014
8 Thank stafins
Mundelein, Illinois
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Our family and friends have been going to this timeshare every year since 2006. We have enjoyed our two week stays there. This resort has very nice grounds, activities for children and great pools including a lazy river, small water slide and playground. The grounds are wll maintained, rooms are clean. This resort is walking distance to a number of very good restaurants and a five minute taxi ride to a new full service grocery store, so a car is not needed. Timeshare has full kitchen in one, two, and three bedroom units so you can save alot of money by eating breakfasts and lunches in the unit and then enjoy all of the great restaurants or dinner or cook dinner in your villa. Barbaques are located on grounds if you have a desire to use them.

Only concerns about this hotel is getting up before 7:00am to secure lounge chairs with an umbrella, costly food at the pool restaurant, as wll as expensive drugs at the pool bar. There is also an Aruba hotel tax for both timeshare and hotel paying guests.

This hotel is still one of the best places to stay in Aruba. The Marriott hotel is in walking distance of the hotel that has a casino and restaurants. The breakfast buffet and dinner buffet prices at the Marriott hotel are very expensive compared to other hotels and not busy on my previous visits.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Nat G
Thank you for your five-star review! We are thrilled to hear that Marriott’s Aruba Surf Club is your favorite place to stay in Aruba and that you and your family continues to have unforgettable experiences! Your feedback regarding chair availability has been noted and will be shared with our team. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you again soon!
New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I love Aruba been there 4 times stayed at a few of the nicer hotels but my husband broke down and bought the time share last year and this was our first use... Overall I liked the property but will stay at the Ocean club next time... too many families and little kids. my kids are older and it was too crowded in the pool and by beach every day! I also didn't like the towel issue, (workers were very nasty especially the man with the glasses and dark hair!) so used to going up to the towel hut and getting as many as i wanted without signing my life away at the other places i stayed at but not here, you must give them some to get new ones and no extra!!!!!!!!!!. Palapas were hard to get (another thing I got spoiled with staying at other places never had a problem) but got one daily further back. overall the villas are very nice and very clean, felt like home... but I dont like the crowds and layout. Also the bar was always packed at happy hour and could never get a drink ( they should have more people working) I will be booking the ocean club next year and I hope it will be nicer or else I am really going to regret buying into the Marriott Vacation club! I will keep you posted!

Room Tip: we stayed in the spyglass tower not by choice but we should have stayed at the lighthouse tower beca...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank autumnmss
Nashville, TN
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Where do I even start... My husband and I were given a stay at the surf club for our honeymoon and thank goodness we still love each other after the worst trip of our life. The management and service at this hotel is by far the worst I have ever come across in my many years of travel. I am still in shock by how rude they were to us. We told them we were on our honeymoon and they could care less and no one tried to help us with where to eat or what to do on the island. When we arrived there was trash left in our room and old food in the fridge and freezer. They told us we would have cleaning service every day and two of the 7 days were were there they didn't even bother to show up to clean. It took 4 phone calls that finally got returned 2 days later for them to actually apologize about not cleaning when they were supposed to. Then... The worst part happened... We were asleep on night and around 2am someone tried to open our door! Thank goodness we had the door latch on. Apparently the room next to us flipped their breaker and the breaker switch was in our room and the hotel worker was just gonna mosey on in while we were asleep! Then the next day that same room had air conditioner problems and the same thing happened! Someone just walked into our room without knocking! Like hello 1. We are on our honeymoon and 2. Who's walking into our room when we are at the pool! So I tried to resolve the issue with a manager and they wouldn't return my phone calls and wouldn't even come out of their office to tell me they couldn't meet at the time I was down at the front desk. So finally I found someone at the Ocean Club to help me out and after all our trouble all we got was a late checkout that didn't even apply to us because we had to be at the airport early. Also don't even try to rent a car from the hotel because you will just stand in line for hours and the lady who works the desk is extremely rude as well. There were a couple of other things that didn't go right on our trip but none of this will be resolved so it's not worth mentioning. I will never go back to this hotel and to be honest I will question myself the next time I even think to stay in a Marriott at all. My husband and I already planned a second honeymoon to make up for the worst honeymoon in history staying at this hotel. And let me tell you... It doesn't involve marriott aruba surf club or a marriott in general!

• Stayed July 2014
7 Thank Ecmerrill
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We would like to apologize for your many inconveniences during your honeymoon. Your comments regarding a person walking into your room without knocking is concerning and will be shared with our management team. Our customer care department has escalated your concerns and would like to speak with you about your issues in greater detail and urge you to contact us at Customer.Care@vacationclub.com or by calling 1-800-860-9384. Thank you again for sharing your experience and we look forward to hearing from you.
Morristown, Tennessee
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

I will start off by saying the hotel was nice and clean. However, the Marriott here is comprised of 3 buildings; the Ocean Club, The Surf Club, and The Resort, all are very nice. You can eat, shop, and spend your money in each. The moment you decide to visit the pool or lay on the beach behind one of the other buildings you will politely be asked to leave. As security stated this morning, "The blue towel people do not get along with the green towel people."
We have vacationed with The Palace Resorts and Divi Resorts and it is very nice how they have an open door welcoming policy between there resorts. I think this wall between the Marriott here in Aruba should be brought down.

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank 55217Nikki
Thank you for your TripAdvisor review. We are sorry to learn our pool policies caused inconveniences during your vacation. Your feedback is very important to us and will be shared with the appropriate managers. Thank you again for staying with us.
Aliso Viejo, California
Reviewed 22 July 2014

This place is a really fun and friendly place to go. There are things about the resort that aren't that great but, for the most part it was a lot of fun and relaxing.

Our room was nice. It was a studio and we thought it would have a kitchen but all it had was a small fridge and a microwave. So not to much cooking went on there. But, the resort has grills all over the place you can use. They are always clean and work great. We made the best of the grills and pretty much used them everyday. Our view was of the pool and the ocean which made for a great view in the morning for breakfast and dinner on the balcony at night.

In other posts you would read a lot about people complaining about the beach chairs or the pool chairs and how you had to get down there by 7am to get a good spot or even get a chair. This is not true. There were so many times I got up to tag our chairs and I had my free pick at 7am. You could go at 10 in the morning and still get a chairs or a palapa hut on the beach. No need to worry about that on your vacation. Actually think it's a good idea they do that.

The entire staff was nice and always smiled and were very willing to help you if you had any questions or needed a suggestion on where to go for dinner or activity.

Overall they place is nice and if you don't mind being around families vacationing or a lot of east coasters on vacation then this place really is a nice place to go to. Only reason I took a point away is because we were told we would have a kitchen and we didn't. But, we made due and I would say this is a good place to go and check out.

Room Tip: Always ask for a room above the 4th floor facing the pool or else you will be looking at the parking...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Alan D
Thank you for your Trip Advisor review. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your honeymoon at Marriott’s Aruba Surf Club! Your feedback regarding your villa is greatly appreciated and will be shared with our team and resort management. We hope we will see you again on your next trip to Aruba!