“Fantastic!!! (with some minor recommendations)” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba

Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Fantastic!!! (with some minor recommendations)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2011

First off, I can’t say enough great stuff about this place. We were debating whether to stay here or at one of the high rise hotels and the location and staff of the Bucuti quickly made us realize we had made an excellent choice. After walking around some of the high rise hotels, really they all looked like dumps compared to the Bucuti (except for the Hyatt….that place was really nice, but too big and crowded on the beach for our taste). There were a few relatively minor things worth mentioning only for the owner and staff looking for ways to make things a little better:

- The dehumidifier was noisy, but it really made a difference in keeping the room comfortable. However the housekeeping staff failed to empty it three times when they made up the rooms, so I had to do it. Not the end of the world, but I was doing stuff that the staff was paid to do. We paid enough for the stay that it shouldn’t have happened more than once. Also that we were gone most of the day one day and they didn’t come to make up the room. They called at around 4:30 as we were getting ready to head out again and asked if we wanted the room made up and we said “yes”. We quickly left the room and made sure to turn on the light to indicate that we wanted the room made up when we left. When we came back, it still wasn’t made up. When I called the front desk about it, I was told it was because we had the “Do Not Disturb” light on. I looked over and the light was still on requesting service, plus they had called and I had told them to please come and make up the room…so why I wasn’t sure why I was hearing excuses. It was an isolated incident, but it was a little annoying.

- There is no room service, so that’s the only reason I listed it as “terrible”. Really, there’s great service all around, so it was weird to hear someone say “We don’t do that.”

- Ceiling fans in the rooms are dated and look cheap. Something like that should be an easy swap to get a better look for not much money. Not really an issue, just an idea for improvements I would want to hear if I owned the place.

- Outdoor fitness center is a nice idea, but after the sun gets up, it was really just too hot and humid to go in there and work out. Sure, it’s open 24 hours so we could go in and work out at night, but by that point we were tired. Maybe more fans in there would help? Plus the equipment is a little limited in there. I’ve seen better fitness centers at MUCH lesser quality hotels. But of course we’re not choosing where to relax based on the size and temperature of the fitness center. :-)

- The pirate ship restaurant…it just looks odd to have something that looks like a kiddy ride at Disney World in the middle of the beautiful beach and wonderful (and child-free) resort. Again, not really an issue, just an idea for improvements I would want to hear if I owned the place.

- The bungalows…gladly we didn’t stay there since it turned out that the two that “face” the beach are right across a small walkway from a shared bathroom for the pool and restaurant. The pictures on the website make it look bigger than it is and the map of the property doesn’t show the bathrooms or walkway between the pool & the decks for the bungalows. We talked to one couple who had booked a room in the bungalow and quickly switched rooms once they stayed there a night. The website does say it’s “Nestled between the main Bucuti Beach building and the stylish infinity pool”, but leaves out the bathroom part….I just think the map should accurately show the layout of the resort so people can really know what they’re getting for their money when they book those rooms.

- Breakfast included was great, but there was almost no variety during our week there. The lunch we had wasn’t very good (gazpacho, chicken wrap, & roast beef wrap) for the price and quality everywhere else at the Bucuti so we didn’t eat a meal there again. We did have a great dessert (mango cream brulet) on the deck after we came back from dinner elsewhere, so clearly the cooks can make some things very well. I think it just needs some polishing for it to be as great as the rest of Bucuti.

But all these minor things would not stop us from going back again. I can’t imagine any other place doing more things right than these folks did during our trip. And my favorite part….the owner of the place comes by and talks to his guests. I can’t think of any other place where the actual owner (not a manager….the OWNER) goes to that length to make sure his guests are happy. We will gladly go back there again.

4 Thank DaveRR71
ewaldbiemans, Owner at Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba, responded to this review, 29 October 2011
In reply to: Fantastic (with some minor recommendations)”

We are grateful for your comments and recommendations and please read below what we have in mind about remediation.

We have revised our procedure on the dehumidifiers and have instructed the staff to set the units at 70% humidity and empty all during daytime service and once again during turndown service in the evening. Nevertheless there may be days with high humidity creating the need for a third service. An option or recommendation would be to turn off the dehumidifier before going to sleep or if the humming noise is desirable, to set the unit at 90% humidity during the sleeping hours.

We will also set out to make sure that anyone who has requested make up service will be given service no matter what time of the day or evening it is requested.

Manager Deborah says that the new fans in the restaurant and fitness center look real good and we are now considering placing them in all rooms.
The fitness center received four fans but the rods need to be longer by a yard to increase their efficiency. This is a work in progress.

Our plan to remove the ship (I hate the ship as well) was “torpedoed “ by building permits and land issues and therefore we will have to wait until all the pieces are in place to ship the ship to the recycling bin (we actually recycle concrete and cement block in Aruba)

As to the map of the bungalow –we are looking at a better way to describe and depict its location so there are no surprises. Our repeat guest mostly reserves the bungalow and therefore we had not faced this question before, but wish to make sure we are being fully descriptive.

We do add a daily breakfast special to our buffet, made of Caribbean and Aruban specialities. Just recently we also added two types of oatmeal dishes to the already extensive selection of tropical fruits, breads, cereals, eggs to order, pancakes, sausages, bacon, 5 different meats and 5 sorts of cheeses, varieties of coffees and organic teas etc.

We are contemplating a test run at room service and depending on demand will consider adding this service.

We look forward to serving you in the near future.

Ewald Biemans
Owner
Biemans@bucuti.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,229)
  • Hungarian first
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2011

My wife and I spent our honeymoon at Tara Suites 10/2 - 10/14/11. We had room 304 on the 1st floor. The staff pleasantly greeted us with a glass of champange and all the information we needed for our stay at the hotel. The room was modern and very clean with plenty of room for our two week stay. The best part of the room was the back entrance that was a few feet away from the sand and a great view of the ocean. The breakfast was very good with plenty of options but my wife would have liked the choice of hash browns, gravy and biscuits. Nina and Mary Anne were very helpful in making suggestions on activities and making the reservations for us. House keeping kept our room clean and even washed our dirty dishes for us everyday. The only issue with house keeping was that they only left 1 or 2 wash cloths each day even though they left 4 towels. Every evening we had to get them to bring us extra wash cloths but not really an issue for me. We used the Sand Bar and red flag service way too much but appreciated the convenience. Angelo is by far the hardest working man in Aruba. He is always doing something from bringing drinks or food to people, cleaning tables and chairs, setting up for movie night, etc. No matter what he is doing it's always with a smile. The entire staff at the resort are hard working and always friendly, respectful and helpful. The resort is definitely for people who want to relax and enjoy a peaceful place to stay, which is why we chose Bucuti. We didn't eat at the Pirates Nest but did enjoy a pizza and lasagna at Pizza Bob's directly across the street. Just around the corner in the next resort is a restaraunt called Matthew's and I highly recommend it for the view and resonably priced delicious meals. I do have one knock on Bucuti and that is the lack of hot water in the shower. The showers are luke warm at best and although you get used to the water we couldn't wait to take a hot shower when we returned home. I would definitely recommend Bucuti to anyone that wants a relaxing vacation in one of the most beautiful places you can visit.

3 Thank Tim D
Spring, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2011

My husband and I spent a week at Bucuti, for our honeymoon. The hotel grounds are well kept and are constantly worked on, but the workers stay out of your way and don't interfere with you at all! As in any place, some of the staff could be better, but overall the staff was very friendly and very willing to help. Every time we needed something the staff was willing to do whatever it took. After cabbing it from the airport (which we recommend against the bus transfer), we were met immediately by a bellman at the cab to help with bags. We were moved through the traditional lobby directly to the Tara building check in which was fast and convenient. (we had done the advance check in on line which seemed to have value). The Tara Beach Suite we were led to was fantastic. The building was intimate and clean and every room faced the ocean to a view i could only describe as spectacular. Comfortable bed, fairly spacious, but really nice suite. We hope to book the Penthouse, next trip. The bathrooms in therooms seemed to be much more contemporary. Pool=perfect. Beach=Perfect. Breakfast daily (nice but a change of pace wouldn't hurt). They have done a fantastic job here. if you want an intimate troical vacation spot, we would recommend 100%. i guess this is the best endorsement we WILL be back.

Room Tip: Stay in the Tara Suites.
2 Thank MegsV
Kitchener, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2011

We stayed at two locations during our honeymoon in Aruba - the bucuti and the riu. In terms of each experience they are total opposites and my wife and myself found ourselves regretting leaving the Bucuti after our stay there to check into the Riu.

STAFF:
I did alot of research on Bucuti before we selected this resort. I read ever review on this website and took notes on things to avoid and anything else I should note. The only real issue i was concerned about was the view from certain rooms that are closer to the properties next door. Bucuti management indicated they wouldn't put us in a room close to the property (we got a Tara Suite). In reality the view from all the Tara suites were good (can't beat that sunrise / sunset) and yes you can see a "bad" view of the next door's resort if you choose to look at it instead of the beautiful beach and the rest of the property.

Bucuti staff treat you like you are family - i want to thank Anki and Madeline as they actually walked the beach one day to find us to inform us they had secured a reservation at a restaurant we didn't think we would be able to experience. You can tell they care about their guests experiences and are happy to help.

When we checked in we asked if they had started renovations (there were a few comments on tripadvisor that they were replacing the room furniture). The owner arrange for our room to be the first one done, but it had to be done the day after we arrived so they gave us the option to not change the furniture as it could potentially disrupt our stay. We went ahead and asked them if they could change our furniture just because I had heard the current furniture was in bad shape.... I couldn't have been more wrong. Their old furniture was in better shape than i expected (and I am a very critical person).

FOOD:
The breakfast buffet may not have tonnes of selection but the food quality is better than the other resort we stayed at during our stay (RIU). I never felt "bored" by the selection as everything was good. I loved the special dished they introduced each day to give a bit of variety to the menu. I also appreciate the great chef that cooked eggs anyway we wanted them.

ROOM:
Amazing - you can see the pictures in other reviews. No compliants whatsoever.

BEACH:
Bucuti is situated on some prime real estate - an extremely wide amount of beach with beautiful views. Compared to other resorts Bucuti pallapas are spaced extremely far apart. Perfect for those who like privacy.

OVERALL:
We will be one of the many return visitors this resort hosts each year. There is simply no better place in our books. We stayed at the RIU and took a tour of the tamarjin resorts which look great on the surface but come up very short in terms of service they offer. The staff at bucuti make the resort the best on the island and I hope they keep up the great work.

Room Tip: As mentioned all tara suites are good - sure you can see the property next door if you choose to loo...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rohan and Iola N
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2011

The only place to stay in Aruba....everything else pales by comparison. Cozy, great breakfast, great staff, great ocean view, 5 minutes from everywhere. This is the place you've always dreamed about....so make that dream come true and go to Bucuti Beach!

Room Tip: Second and third floor ocean front are the best!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank bigivy1
Punta Cana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2011

My husband and I spent two weeks at this hotel for our honeymoon. The hotel is very nice. The beach is outstanding. Never had any issues getting a chair at anytime during the day.

Overall though, this hotel did not help us enjoy our experience. We started off rough with some bad luck. This hotel is a "cashless" hotel where you charge to your room for everything. It sounds like a good idea until you get credit card fraud. The day after giving the hotel our credit card, our available balance on our credit card kept dropping on our online banking. Thankfully they have free wifi as my husband was able to catch this really quickly. The first day that we noticed, the available balance dropped by $2000. We went to the front desk to talk to the staff and they ensured us that the hotel has not charged anything but put a $75 hold on our card. We started to worry as we had not used our card at all in over a week. Over the next couple days there was 3000 dollars on our card that we didnt know where it was coming from. To call VISA from our room, because it was a 1-800 number, the hotel was going to charge us as an "international call" which is very expensive. We all know that the wait on the phone with a credit card company is not short. Thankfully we were able to us skype with the wifi on our cell phones and got a hold of VISA to find out that the charges were coming from "Bucuti & Tara Beach Resorts Aruba". This was causing alot of stress to know that we had to deal with this on our honeymoon.
Being that it was a weekend we had to wait until Monday. The assistant manager was very frustrating to deal with. Everybody denied that these charges could possibly be coming from the hotel. Nobody would take responsibility. She insisted on calling Visa on our behalf. She tried and asked us to come into her office to give our personal information over speaker phone. Once we talked to TD and they once again assured us that there was 3000 dollars in charges coming from BUCUTI, the manager interrupted. The VISA representative was not impressed at all that she had us on speaker phone entering our personal information to access our telephone banking. We found this very stressful and unprofessional as we told her numerous times that there is nothing they can do until Monday when we can talk to the fraud department.
The manager insisted that we print a visa statement and give it to her to call Visa. We explained NUMEROUS times that we can not print a statement as it takes 5-10 days for the charges to show up on our statement, and it was another 2 weeks until we were expecting a bill.
In the end there was nothing done for us and the fraud claim was left in the hands of the Visa fraud department.
After having something like this happen, you would think that the hotel would give more of a sincere apology. Not even a discount or anything. We still had to give them ANOTHER visa number to clear our small bill at checkout.

On a happier not the service throughout the hotel was great otherwise. The waitresses were great. Housekeeping was good (other than leaving our door open the day after we found out about the fraud). the concierge desk was AWESOME!! Nina was our favorite. She always gave us fabulous suggestions and was always looking for our feedback.

Check in was good. We were greeted with a glass of champagne. They had to move us rooms the second day as the room that we booked was not available.

The breakfast was good, large variety to choose from, very good service. The birds were kind of annoying by the second week, but what do you expect when your eating outside.
The pirates nest was a great restaurant for dinner as well.

The rooms were average. They were clean. We had our fridge cleared out a bought a few things from the market and ate lots of leftovers from the restaurants. The only disappointing thing was that they only left you one set of cutlery, and it was never cleaned or replaced the entire stay. The microwave was handy though. Thankfully they had a safe where we knew at least our cash was safe.

Room Tip: ocean front rooms are very nice
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank firsttimetraveller_7
ewaldbiemans, Owner at Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba, responded to this review, 18 October 2011
In reply to Gorgeous Beach, great service, but, BEWARE OF CREDIT CARD FRAUD”

Fraud is a very serious accusation, and we certainly hope that if you were suspecting fraudulent behavior that you would have reached out to the authorities for investigation.

To clarify what happened from our perspective:

You reported seeing incorrect charges on your credit card to us. When we investigated, we could only find a charge of $75.63 that Bucuti authorized. Our resort manager tried to call your bank to investigate further, but they would only talk to the credit card holder.
You suggested that the resort manager hear it from the bank that Bucuti had made additional transactions, which is why a Skype call was made together in the resort manager's office.
When the bank stated that there should be no witness to the call, our resort manager left her office, so you can continue the conversation.
The bank informed you that the charges you saw online had not officially posted on the account yet, so everyone had to wait until Monday to follow up. Meanwhile, you had already decided to cancel the credit card, which is always a very safe and wise decision when there is doubt. The bank also advised you to follow procedure of reporting fraud.
To help clarify the matter, our resort manager offered to write a note to send to the bank which would confirm the small amount Bucuti was charging on the account. For two days, we attempted to reach you to provide you with a copy of the fax that was sent to the bank, and eventually you asked to have it left at the concierge desk, which we did.

We are very sorry you had a scary experience with your credit card, and we assure you that our hotel has no desire to charge amounts that are not due, as we take integrity very seriously. In our 24 years of successful operation, this accusation has never been made before, and we hope your bank will clarify with you that our hotel never processed the additional transactions you mention. We certainly did not! We were never shown a print-out of these extra charges you mention, and the bank was never able to confirm them to us either.

We are very grateful for your kind comments about our hard-working staff, and hope your impression of Aruba in general remains a positive one.

Ewald Biemans
Owner
Biemans@bucuti.com
Buffalo, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2011

We had the good fortune of staying with the B&T Family for our honeymoon from Sept 26th through Oct 2nd, 2011. We did a lot of investigation prior to choosing and are happy that we did. As it is like with any new stay, we were anxious prior to our arrival, but our concerns were soon alleviated. Ater cabbing it from the airport (which we recommend against the bus transfer), we are met immediately by a bellman at the cab to help with bags. We were moved through the traditional lobby directly to the Tara building check in which was fast and convenient. (we had done the advance check in on line which seemed to have value).

The Tara Beach Suite we were led to was fantastic. The building was intimate and clean and every room faced the ocean to a view i could only describe as spectacular. Every morning we woke to a picturesque view that was AMAZING. comfortable bed, fairly spacious, but really nice. next time we will hope to book the Penthouse. the bathrooms in those rooms seemed to be much more contemporary.

ok, i could go on and on. Pool=perfect. Beach=Perfect. Breakfast daily (nice but a change of pace wouldn't hurt). restaurant=(no idea, we ate at all different locations on the island and all meals were top notch) two best meals were at Madame Jeanette's and Screaming Eagle btw. Jeanette's was as good as it gets.

the housekeeping was unintrusive and professonal.
all concierge girls recieved personal accolades (tara's best) cards submitted by us. they were all professional, courteous, and enhanced the stay tenfold.
staff was fantastic across the board.

the only personal knock was the inability to smoke a nice cuban cigar on our balcony. i can totally understand that there is no smoking in the rooms (they're too nice to smoke in anyways), but the balcony with the winds seemed a bit too nitpicky and i would have loved to have had an evening smoke without haveing to roam across the property. that being said, we knew the policy going in and dealt with it.

They have done a fantastic job here. if you want an intimate troical vacation spot, we would recommend 100%. i guess the best endorsement is we WILL be back.

Room Tip: The Tara Suites are the way to go
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Ben L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm - Eagle Beach
The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba
The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba
#11 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,661 reviews
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#9 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,531 reviews
Manchebo Beach Resort & Spa
Manchebo Beach Resort & Spa
#3 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,304 reviews
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#17 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,799 reviews
Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort
Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort
#5 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,123 reviews
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino

Been to Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba? Share your experiences!