“Very Nice Beach” 2 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Seattle
“Very Nice Beach”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2007

Don't get me wrong, this place isn’t a dump but not nearly what you might expect from all of the other posts on Trip Advisor.

Here are the Pros and Cons...

Pros...
-Very nice grounds
-Not too crowded

Cons...
-Too much of a European Feel
-Rooms are not what you expect from pictures.
-A/C or Mold? in rooms is funky and made us both sick.
-Food is very expensive
-Continental breakfast is a joke (unless you like snobby Europeans eating cheese and turning up their noses at you when you grab a doughnut).
-Not close to anything fun except Casino
-Very quiet and absolutely nothing to do other than sit on the beach
-Just not a fun and friendly place

The few days we stayed at the Bucuti did give us a chance to rent a car and tool around the island too see some of the amazing things Aruba has to offer. We ended up checking out 2 days early because we just weren’t having much fun. We ended up moving to the Holiday Inn right on the beach where for $185 per night we had a beach front room and a much more lively and enjoyable conclusion to our fantastic Honeymoon.

I hope that I don’t come across too hard on the Bucuti. It’s not at all a terrible place, just nothing near as nice several of the other reviews claim.

• Liked — The Beach is Fantastic!
  • Disliked — A really Dull and dreary atmosphere for such a beautiful place :(
8 Thank Dennis28

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,228)
  • Hungarian first
Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2007

I just got back from the Bucuti and it was great! The beach was beautiful, the people were outstanding, and honeymoon was relaxing and peaceful. Hands down it was the best vacation I have ever been on!

Things to note about the Bucuti when staying there & Aruba:

1. drinks on the beach are expensive. go to the grocery store and pick up a cooler and drinks there and bring them on the beach.

2. Pizza Bob's accross the street has great pizza and is much cheaper than eating at the onsite restaurant.

3. Eat at Marandi. Its downtown and has great food!

4. The Kukuu Kanuu bus is well worth it and a great time!

5. If you want to tour the island I would rent a jeep for the week. This is better than taking a bus tour and will save you on cab money through out the week.

6. Tips are almost always included everywhere you go even on the resort. Just beware when you are about to add 20% because there is a good chance that 15% was already added.

7. The breakfast is complimentary but again tip is added. Which is $3 a couple. So for 1.50 a person you get a range of fruit, yogurt, cereal, juice, bagel, donuts, fresh coffee and tea. Not bad considering you the Dunkin' Donuts down the road will cost that much for just a bagel.

8. Happy Hour at the Bucuti is from 4-6 and again from 9-10pm. The drinks are half off and the best time to get one. However if you get a frozen drink you will spend 5-6 dollars a drink if you get a liquor drink like a cosmo or mojito you will spend only 3 dollars!

9. We stayed in the Tara Suites. The view was incredible, the room was beautiful. It was clean, tempature was nice and cool, and there were his and her bathrobes to boot!

10. The pool is being worked on. However the time I did spend in it was lovely and never were there more than 4 people in it at a time. It is not huge and doesn't have a slide maybe that is the reason it also doesn't have any kids playing in it! In my opinion if you want a huge pool you don't need to go to one of the most beautiful beaches in the world for that. The water in Aruba is crystal clear, cool, aqua, and so calm that is the biggest pool you will find anywere!

If and when I go back to Aruba I will not even think of staying anywhere else other than the Bucuti!!!!

• Liked — The beach front!
  • Disliked — Prices of certain food and drink
17 Thank kbbeach
Edinburgh, Scotland, UK.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2007

We stayed at the Bucuti from 25 May to 03 June 2007 on our first trip to Aruba. We had booked a Junior Suite which is one of two of this type in the resort. They are not in the Tara building but are the best in the main building. The advantage of these rooms over the Tara suites is the spacious layout plus the full kitchen facilities. If you did want to cook a meal then you can only do so in the Junior Suites or the Penthouses.

The room was great and of the two available go for the one on the top floor which gives better views. The one below has views restricted by trees. 2 TV's (one flat screen) and a good sized lounge area. Large balcony as well but not ideal for catching the sun until late afternoon. Then the balcony (see views) is too hot as it is sheltered from the prevailing wind.

Beach great, water great, beach huts plentiful, beach loungers poor and basic - would have expected better quality at these prices, pool fine but too small although the loungers were very good, sand bar fine but slow service and prices bit high, restaurant poor for breakfast, average for lunch but actually very good for dinner.

Pizza Bob's very good, El Gaucho excellent.

Scuba diving excellent next to the Radisson in the high rise area.

Hired a car for the week which was definitely worthwhile. Saved on taxis, buses etc and had the convenience of going anywhere at anytime.

As for the island, very little to see, arid climate means barren and desolate landscape, not very pretty compared with other Caribbean islands.

Won't be back to Aruba mainly due to the featureless nature of the island and lack of places of interest. That said, if you simply want guaranteed great weather, a great beach and great relaxation time then Aruba and the Bucuti might just be right for you.

• Liked — beach
  • Disliked — bar area
8 Thank Flying_Scotsman_1874
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2007

Just returned from a 6 day vacation. I stayed in the Superior room in the smoking side of the hotel, which translates into being the most basic room with a garden view.

Upon arriving to the hotel the front desk offered my girlfriend and I a glass of champagne. We arrived around 1:30 and they were able to get a room for us early. They took our bags and told us to check out the grounds and within 20 minutes our room would be ready.

Upon booking the trip they asked if there was a special occasion bringing us to Aruba. My girlfriend just graduated college, and they had a bottle of chardonnay in the room with a congratulations card... a nice touch.

We had room 211, which is on the ground floor, which was great because you can step out on to the patio and walk about 100 yards or so and be near the start of the beach.

The room had a kingsize bed, which was comfortable enough for my needs. The room had tile floors, and a great contemporary look to it. It was a standard sized hotel room. The air conditioning blew hard and cold the entire time (just how I like it).

The staff was helpful, friendly and polite. The beach was immaculate, although a bit windy at times. The pool was in use, but parts of the deck were roped off. The hotel left a memo in the room explaining of a bad tiling job waiting to be fixed, and we were able to use the Manchebo's pool. Although we are beach people, it was a bit disappointing to see a minor construction site by the pool.

Outdoor bar area. Let me put this simply, I like to drink on vacation. Frozen drinks were a bit on the weak side, depending on who was making them. Also, the same drink could range anwhere from $7.50 - 11.00. I thought that was a bit strange. There were 2 happy hours, and the bartenders were better during them. Also 2 for 1 drinks were a bonus.

Pirates Nest resturaunt: was good for lunch, seemed like standard beach food. We ate lunch there several times, good hot dogs, quesidillas etc, but didnt seem nice enough to eat dinner there.

If this hotel wants to be considered great, they need to finish the pool asap. To be perfectly honest, they should have went bigger with the pool.

I would also ditch the cheezy Pirates themed resturaunt. To me it comes off as a family friendly fun place, which isn't the correct fit for a more upscale couples resort. They should shift focus and hire a top notch chef, and get some different ideas on that menu.

I would also update the televisions in the room. The Manchebo offeres flat screens. Although I do not watch that much tv on vacation, the older tube tv seemed dated in such a nice room.

All in all this is 3 star resort what gets the extra point for it's friendly staff, clean comfortable rooms and nice beach. It was fine by me, and I would return in a heartbeat. But for a true 5 star experience, you may need to look elsewhere.

• Liked — Beach, Friendly Staff
  • Disliked — Small pool area that was STILL under construction, and lack of resturaunt choices at the resort
14 Thank FJUNO78
Sandyville, WV
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2007

My wife and I stayed at bucuti (tara suites) from May 27 - June 2, 2007 for our honeymoon. Beautiful rooms, even better beach. Most of what I saw has been covered very well by other posters. Bucuti is a wonderful resort. My only warning would be not to get your expectations too high based on the trip advisor reviews. After reading them I was frankly expecting a 5 star luxury resort. Thats not Bucuit. Bucuti is a 3 star resort on a 5 star beach. Good things first:

1. The beach is the most beautiful I've ever seen. Pure, clean white sand and dark blue sparkling water.

2. The service and drinks at the Sand Bar were top notch.

3. The tara rooms were very nice. You get a magnificint ocean view as soon as you open the door.

The Bad:

1. Continental breakfast at Tara. First the breakfast is free but you have to charge $9.00 pp to your room each day you eat there. This charge isn't supposed to show up on your bill (one day it actually did on mine). I have no idea why you have to put up with this little annoyance. The breakfast itself is what you would expect from fruit, cereal, doughnuts etc.

2. Consierge service was hit or miss depending upon who was on duty. One lady (I wish I could remember her name, she's thin, dark haired, 40 ish) was always excellent. Most others were not so good. We simply got incorrect information from them several times. For example we wanted to rent jet skis and were told that a certain business on eagle beach was closed on saturdays and we would have to take a cab to palm beach to rent them. Well on the way we saw that the eagle beach company was open. That was a wasted cab ride.

3. The bathrooms are small and plain for a $300 + per night hotel.

I have kind of focused more on the bad here so people won't go in with inflated ideas of what bucuti is. But it really is a beautiful place and I absolutely plan on returning.

• Liked — The beach
  • Disliked — A lot of little things.
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
11 Thank eerfan58
Burlington NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2007

Day 1

Flight was uneventful - got the airport in Philly at 5:00am, checked in quickly (except the counter agent ignored our line for about 10 minutes before she finally called us. grrrrr.) Got exit row seating, and no one in the 3rd seat. Flight was not full, and took off right on time - getting us into AUA 1/2 hour early. Downside - the movie (Music & Lyrics, which I like) was so static-y you couldn't hear it.

Took a bit to get our luggage, they weren't ready for us to land so early, but then into a cab & on to the Bucuti

First impressions - nice property, everyone was very friendly. Alexe met us at the curb, grabbed some of our luggage and took us back to the Tara Suites building, where Alfons checked us in. Had a nice glass of champagne and got into the relaxing part of the trip. :) Our suite was not ready, so we went out to the Pirate's Nest for lunch. The food was good - wings & caesar salads, simple. Hubby had a Balashi & I just had an iced tea. Went out and grabbed our cabana and napped for a bit, enjoying being in the warm and listening to the water. (Oh - for those of you that are booking the Tara Penthouses, those come with a cabana for your exclusive use until 5pm, so you'll always have a spot in the shade. These are the same cabanas they use for the romantic dinners, which is why you only have them until 5. :) ) Alfonse was very clear in telling us if someone's in "our" space, do not hesitate to ask them to move - hopefully we don't have to do that, but I won't hesitate!

General notes - I used my Verizon phone on the island, and it worked everywhere - airport, downtown, at the Bucuti, at the High Rise section, etc. I had a digital signal the entire time.

We checked back with the Concierge at 3, and after a bit of a snafu with the luggage, we were shown to our suite. (They had put our luggage in the secured luggage room, but didn't tag it as ours in any way - so we had to go back and show them which bags were ours.) We were in Suite 344, which is the corner suit closest to the Costa Linda. The room is beautiful - the humidifier is a little loud, but we'll turn it off when we sleep. Lots of towels, TONS of closet & drawer space, and just very inviting. For those of you that are bringing along a clothes horse (like my hubby) there were at least a dozen hangers in the closet. 2 9-drawer dressers in the suite. more than enough room for everything.

They left us a nice bottle of champagne, some cheese & crackers, and some chocolates for our anniversary, along with a very nice note. Unpacked and hung out in the room for a bit, and then hit Pizza Bob's for dinner. We'd been going for almost 16 hours on 4 hours of sleep, and I wasn't up for heavy-duty dinner. Pizza Bob's was as good as everyone says. Our waitress made us her own "special" drink, with strawberry daquiri mix, midori, sour apple, banana liquor, and stoli raspberry. VERY yummy.

Day 2

Slept late, which is always very nice (given that I'm up at 4:15am for work on a regular basis!) headed down & had Alfons make reservations for dinner (El Gaucho) and then headed downtown to shop. Did not realize there was a quicker way to the bus stop, and walked the road all the way back to the main entrance - duh. Next time we'll just cut across the parking lots to the Alhambra. Quick bus trip to the main shopping area, and walked around. First stop - Tiffany's. I'm a sucker for silver, and hubby bought me a beautiful necklace. Definitely less than I would've paid in NYC, especially considering the sales tax. Hubby got a really nice watch in Little Switzerland, and we picked up an art glass piece for ourselves. Lunch at Iguana Joes was very yummy, except for 2 things. I had a drink that went right to my head (don't remember what it was called, but it had orange juice, cranberry juice, and a bunch of alcohol in it!) and I broke a tooth. I just spent a year having a tooth fixed, and I went and broke another one. Not too much pain, just a little sensitive, so I'm going to try to stick it out until I get home. It's going to make chewing a little difficult. :) Quick nap in the afternoon, and then off to dinner. Alfons had reserved us a private room, which was very sweet of him, and totally unexpected. Dinner was fantastic. Very attentive service, and the food was amazing. I have leftover steak for lunch tomorrow. Now just sitting on the balcony, enjoying the sound of the water and the beautiful breeze. I could get totally spoiled.

Day 3

Today was a beach day - after breakfast (the free breakfast is, well, uninspired. They could easily add eggs, pancakes, bacon, etc. to the buffet and make it much better. Having to pay extra for that seems a little nickle & dime-y, but it's their business model.) Then down to the beach. The water was a little brisk at first, but we got used to it quickly, and it's certainly not cold by any stretch. Watched the birds fishing, that was pretty neat. :) Lots of party boats going by, but other than that, a very quiet, relaxing day, which is what I'm here for. I'd like to try Flying Fishbone for dinner, but I didn't want to spend $50 on taxis, and I'm not comfortable enough with international driving to rent a car, so we asked the concierge for a recommendation - and she recommended Aqua Grill, so we made reservations there. I would not recommend this place to anyone, and we're going to voice our concerns to the concierge. We arrived, and they seated us immediately, left us with menus & drink menus, and then disappeared. It took about 10 minutes for our server to come take our order. The menu looked very good - hubby ordered the swordfish, I ordered Mahi-Mahi. Oops. No Mahi-Mahi left. Red Snapper? Nope, none of that either. The waiter recommended the black grouper. (I heard several servers pushing it, they must've gotten more in than they expected.) Now, our reservation was at 7:30, and the restaurant was far from crowded, so for them to be out of 2 of the most popular types of fish gave me a little concern. We later found out that hubby got the last piece of swordfish. They brought hubby's appetizer - and forgot mine. When we finally saw our waiter again (he came over to clear our appetizer silverware) we had to ask for mine to be brought out - now, he should've realized as soon as he saw my silverware untouched and no plate in front of me that I didn't get what I ordered - I certainly shouldn't have had to ask! Main course was good - but they didn't bring hubby's side item (and never did). And again, waiter disappeared for about 20 minutes, we didn't see him for anything. Another server asked us if we wanted dessert, at that time, we were a little put off and asked for the check. 5 minutes to get that, and we realized then why service was so terrible. There is an automatic 15% surcharge on the bill - so there's no incentive for good service, he KNOWS he's getting a 15% tip, and on a party of 2, we're just not worth expending effort. We waited another 10 minutes for our change, and again, another server brought it, not ours. (I honestly think they were surprised we were still sitting there - I have the feeling he assumed the extra $12 on top of the bill was just his. No chance. If I could've taken back some of the automatic service charge, I would've.) So, not a place I'll go again.

Day 4

Went back downtown and did some more shopping - Tiffany's is loving me right now. :) Nothing exciting, just wandering downtown, to Queen Wilhelmina park, hubby got lots of pictures, and it was a really nice morning. Came back in the afternoon and went down to the beach for a few hours - the water is gorgeous, and it's very relaxing. Tonight is the Sunset Cruise, which we booked through the hotel. Only downside today - they apparently forgot to make up our room. As we were heading down to meet the bus for the cruise, I had to let the concierge know, and she apologized and said she would get it taken care of. The cruise was wonderful. There were 13 couples this evening, the catamaran was great, and the crew were spectacular. Lots and lots of champagne, they did a good job of keeping everyone entertained. We spent most of the time talking to one couple, and we hit it off fairly well. Sunset was gorgeous - the past few nights, the sunset had been marred by clouds, but not tonight. Clear night, and we had the sunset on the ocean side of the boat, while a full moon was rising over the island side. Couple that with some spectacular lightning shows from storms out at see, and it just made it very memorable. The 2 hours went by too quickly, and we came back, had a light dinner at Pizza Bob's, and just hung out for the rest of the evening.

Day 5

c. 4 couples, it was very tight in the mini-van, but a nice overall tour of the island. I think if we come back, we'll rent a car so we can do some exploring on our own. Got some great pictures at what used to be the Natural Bridge, and then went wandering while the others were snorkeling at Baby Beach. Came back to the room when we got done (it was NOT 4.5 hours, it was barely 4.) and took a nap. Wandering around in the heat took more out of me than I'd thought. Did the Romantic Dinner on the beach tonight - it was, indeed, romantic. The food was very good - I'm allergic to shrimp, so the server happily substituted for a salad. Didn't care for the duck appetizer, mainly because they covered it in a mayonnaise-based sauce. I'm completely anti-mayo, so that affected my judgement. :) The main course was yummy (we both chose beef tenderloin) and there was so much I couldn't finish it. Dessert was meant to be ice cream, but neither of us was hungry - our server did not want to let us go without dessert, so she sent up some cake with us. Very nice - and thank you again, Lulu!! I think I'm going to make a suggestion that they close off the cabanas a little bit - maybe put up a curtain on the back, and halfway up each side to make it more pirivate. The karaoke from next door, and the screaming baby with his family at the restaurant did make for some distractions, but I guess that's to be expected.

Day 6

Met up with the people we spent time with on the Catamaran cruise for breakfast, and then went to the butterfly farm. (The other couple had gone to the Ostrich Farm and said the tour there was really good as well, they had a child in their group and she got to ride an ostrich, so that was a lot of fun.) The butterfly farm was a really nice tour - very small, but highly informative, and hubby got some nice shots of the butterflies. I think we spent about 2 hours there, you could do it in less time, but we had no reason to. :) Then we went back to the hotel and just hung out for the balance of our last day. Went to the French Steakhouse next door for dinner - what a change from Aqua Grill! Service was fantastic, the food was very, very good, and everyone was wonderful. I'd definitely go back there again. Went back to our room and spent our last quiet evening out on the balcony.

Day 7

Got up at 7 - first time all week with an alarm. Blech. Packed up, got breakfast, checked out, and headed for the airport for our 1:00 flight back to Philly. I had made sure that I completed my Customs form before we got to the airport, and we were ready to go. Everyone says make sure you get there 3 hours early so you can clear customs, etc. but, well, we got there at 9:30, and the check-in counters weren't even open yet! Now, it was a Saturday, you'd think that they'd have someone working before 9:30. They finally opened the check-ins around 10, we checked our luggage, got our boarding passes (exit row, YES!) and followed the signs for the gates. Security takes back the card they gave you when you arrived (verifying that you didn't outstay your welcome, and that you're officially checked off the island, I guess!) through security, and then it was into the duty-free area. We're not shopping, so we head right to customs. Um. Customs is closed. Again, you're supposed to be at your flight 3 hours early, my flight's at 1, it's now almost 10, and they're not open?? No signs with times, no indication of anything. I ask one of the agents who was walking around the duty-free area, and he said 'about an hour'. Yep. Customs didn't open until 11 am. Okay.

So, the first area of customs is a luggage area. The bags you checked at the counter? You have to pick them back up and take them into the customs area. Since it's been over an hour since they were checked, they're just lined up in rows, and you have to go through and find them. Screwy system. After you find your bags, you proceed to a customs agent. There was only 1 agent open when we got into that section, but in about 15 minutes they'd opened up 5 more windows and everything was moving quickly - but many people had not filled out their forms, which was holding things up. Agent scanned our passports, took my declaration form, and waved us through - I don't think he even looked at it. After you go through that, then you take your checked baggage over to a conveyor belt where it goes back to be put on your plane.

Then you get to go through security AGAIN!! So - if you took off your watch/jewelry, all change out of pockets, etc the first time - leave it all off/out (put it in a bag in your carry-on or something) because otherwise you'll be doing it twice. Then we finally get to our gate.

THEN it poured outside. No rain all week, but lots of it for about 20 minutes while we were sitting at the gate. :) Boarded our plane, took off 45 minutes late, which of course put us in a holding pattern over Philly because we'd missed our landing slot, so we didn't land until nearly 6:10, when we were supposed to land at 5:30. not a biggie, and someone at USAir apparently forgot to read the instructions, because we had our luggage in about 15 minutes. (I always thought the guarantee in Philly was that your luggage would be at LEAST a half hour behind your arrival at baggage claim.) #1 son picked us up about 6:45, and we were home by 7:30.

Sigh. What a great week. Thank you to those who recommended the Bucuti, we were very pleased with our stay there! I'd go back, in a heartbeat.

• Liked — Location, location, location!
  • Disliked — On-Site Restaurant
7 Thank Jobeth66
Tracy, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2007

I hate to be one of the only people that isn't writing a glowing review of this resort, so I will attempt to soften it slightly. My wife and I did have a great time, enjoyed the beach tremendously, and thought that the hotel was an extraordinary place. I do, however, have some reservations about the was that it is run. Sorry Bucuti, please take this as constructive criticism. We stayed at this property two times separated by a one week cruise. The first time there, in mid-May, we had the most terific time. We stayed at the Tara Suites section (right next door to the rest of the hotel) and were treated like a King and Queen. Seriously, it could not have been much better. The suite and view were beautiful. The second that we got there, we were treated to bottomless glasses of champagne and wisked off to our suite overlooking an absolutely pristine beach. Wow...is all that I could say for the first two days. One week later, by contrast, we were denied our suite. The staff told us that there was a booking error and they could not put us into the Tara Suites, so our fantastic view was taken from us. Oh well, the room was still great but without the view (parking lot now). So, because we were no longer in the suites, champagne was not offered, we were left standing in the lobby for more than thirty minutes, and no one offered to help with the bags. Geez...what a diffference! Now I can see why some people had minor complaints of the facility. If you go to Bucuti, steer away from the older woman at the lobby desk, from here on known as 'The Wicked Witch of the West'. At least we will always have our memories of the Tara Suites. You have been warned.

• Liked — The location on the most perfect of beaches
  • Disliked — The reservation screwup and the mistreatment by the front desk
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ralfeez
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm - Eagle Beach
The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba
The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba
#11 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,656 reviews
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#9 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,524 reviews
Manchebo Beach Resort & Spa
Manchebo Beach Resort & Spa
#3 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,302 reviews
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#17 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,794 reviews
Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort
Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort
#5 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,122 reviews
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino

Been to Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba? Share your experiences!