“Affiliated with ritz Carlton”
Review of Vela Sports Aruba

Vela Sports Aruba
Albany, NY
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 124 helpful votes
“Affiliated with ritz Carlton”
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Great location next to ritz and use of their kayaks and paddle board is now no charge if you are ritz guest. Staff was pleasant and they were helpful with pulling in the equipment. So glad I didn't pay for these waterspouts while staying at marriott surf club.

Wayne, New Jersey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Follow Up Kiteboarding Review of Vela”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

This is my March 2014 review as a follow-up to my May 2013 review. The 2013 review was an overview of the sport and staff (see May 2013). This review is a little less about Kiting and more about Vela. Vela has taken me from a beginner who didn't know anything about kiting to someone who is now considered a seasoned "Independent" kiter. When in Aruba I always go back to Vela and even after six years I still take a lesson or two and will always use them for 'Drop off & Pick up' service. Working with their expert instructors I always leave the island with new information or a better way to execute.....Always. From a safety aspect the Vela beach staff always knows how many lessons or Vela rentals they have out on the water and whether those lessons are kiting, windsurfing, paddleboarding or kayacking there is always someone with a pair of binoculars watching and counting numbers. Vela has multiple boats and one is always available to respond if assistance is needed. Twice now I was going back to shore in a Vela boat and we had to assist another schools kiting students because their instructors let them get too far away. When the Vela instructors aren't teaching a lesson you will find them in the back of their shop checking, cleaning or repairing the gear. Another reason I like Vela is their large inventory of new kiting equipment. Now when I am there I am able to try all of the new kites, boards and bar's which helps me when I want to purchase gear. In reading some of the other Vela kiting reviews I completely agree that kiting will take you some time to learn the sport and feel comfortable with a board on your feet and a kite under your control, but don't let the initial frustration of the learning curve get to you, you will have numerous Ah-hah moments along your journey where things will just click and you will say, "now I know why the instructor said that." I write this review as a very experienced kiter who realizes that kiting IS an extreme sport and has also seen the results of those who have been taught correctly and those who have been taught by undisciplained instructors. Vela Aruba does it right. Enjoy Kiting!!!! NOW a bonus tip on kiting. If you are very visual and don't want to be completely clueless about the sport when you go for that first lesson I highly recommend you acquire the Kiteboarding Progression Beginner DVD online and watch it before your first lesson. You will not believe how much it helps when you go for that first lesson and then you watch it again after the lesson. You don't need any of the other DVD's, just the beginner or 2nd edition beginner DVD. -Bob, Wayne NJ

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Sealfase
Utrecht, The Netherlands
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“First time windsurfing, but definitely not the last!”
Reviewed 9 March 2014

I really enjoyed spending my time around Vela's place. The employees were very kind and helpfull to us. The windsurfing was great if even thoughthe wind wasn't that hard. The lesson was clear to me and with a lot of humor. Tip: explain the large dutch guy what you want and he will help you the best he can. Enjoy it!

Visited March 2014
Boston, Massachusetts
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“kite surf lessons”
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Vela was great!
I chose Vela because I could upgrade a 3-lesson to a 5-lesson package if I needed to, and because you start learning to fly with an actual kite in the water, and not with a trainer kite on land.
I started from knowing nothing, had 7 sessions, and while I still am not moving around much, but I had a great time and will certainly be kiting more when I get the chance!
From what I saw, some people were doing much better than I was in a few lessons, but generally it seems to take time learn, so dedicate as much time as you can to this activity.
As for instructors, I had Martin (sorry if the spelling is wrong) and Jonneke, and both were great at helping me to understand where I could improve (fighting those instincts can be tough).
What I would recommend is that you tell the instructor that you want to stay near the shore during your first few lessons, as they will be more able to stay with you and help you more in progressing your technique (in my case, this was needed).
The gear was in good condition, and I even got to ride with the new gear when it came in.
They DO NOT offer transport, I either drove or took the bus (the bus is convenient enough and only a ~25 minutes drive from Eagle Beach area).
The owner and staff were all very friendly and personable and will do what they can to make sure that you have a good experience.
***Further advise to other kite surfing newbies: expect to get frustrated with yourself, but don't let it get to you. I came into this expecting to be up and scooting around the surf in one trip, which was ridiculous since it takes many hours to properly learn any adventure sport. However, if you want to do this activity it is so worth it!

Visited January 2014
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Our first time windsurfing”
Reviewed 22 December 2013 via mobile

This was the first time my daughter and I have been windsurfing so we were a little nervous about the level of skill required to do this activity. We did the 2 hour lesson and we had a blast. The two instructors were great and by the end of the first hour we could stand up, steer and even turn around. Definitely a physical activity and we were a tad sore the next day but we really enjoyed it and are excited to try ot again!

Visited December 2013
VelaAruba1, Owner at Vela Sports Aruba, responded to this review, 24 December 2013
I am glad to hear you enjoyed your first Windsurf lesson with us. We look forward to seeing you back to get you to the next level. Thank you, and all the best.