“Wouldn't give us an upgrade even though we are silver owners”

La Cabana Beach Resort & Casino
richmond
“Wouldn't give us an upgrade even though we are silver owners”
Reviewed 19 August 2010

The room was sufficient, the pool big and beautiful, and the ocean was priceless. The furniture wasn't comfortable, but the maid service was terrific and when there's something to fix, a competent person is sent up immediately.

It's a given that you need passports and that the flight is expensive. It's not at all like a Bluegreen resort in the states: limited and old TV programming, nothing provided except shampoo and toilet paper. No coffee filters, no nice lounge with coffees and teas, or scott towel. I didn't have a dishwasher. You have to pay $2 for one token for a washer or dryer.

It's an island where sometimes you even have to pay to use the restroom. The people of Aruba want us to visit, but make it very clear that you will pay for every little thing and they know we are at their mercy. The hotel advertises an 800 number for family to call, but it ends up being like a collect call. I could not even use my prepaid phone card--I had to buy it there. The only way to communicate with home was via email--and then some websites didn't come through. I didn't bring my cell phone because of the possibility of roaming charges. We didn't feel safe and found out that our medical insurance wouldn't apply in Aruba. We stayed two weeks. We went to the glorious pool and ocean daily--that was the one thing that made it worthwhile.

We got the runaround about an upgrade to the newly remodeled rooms...although we would have if we'd upgraded our ownership to gold. They even admitted that the hotel was only to 60% capacity. We've been owners for about 6 years and are presently silver owners. When we requested an upgrade or a move to a newly renovated room, The Bluegreen rep said to talk to the front desk, and the front desk staff said to check with reservations.

The front desk staff seemed to be helpful but sometimes it seemed that they were snickering at the tourists and all the expenses we incurred.

I paid $35 per week for internet, and the second week it wouldn't work in my room--they'd just smile and say I should go outside to the balcony for better coverage. Or they would tell me to bring the laptop to the desk, like I was ignorant and didn't understand how to connect to the internet. They had that attitude about a lot of things.

Be sure to check out grocery prices and understand that you might have to remind the clerks that you only pay half the stated price plus 10%. It's a beautiful place, but it's full of plain highway robbery. The grocery stores--even the best ones, are grungy. Oh, and Bluegreen website does tell you there's room tax: Aruba charges about $14 per day for room tax. It all adds up to be a very expensive and inconvenient place to be. I'll stay in the USA with my cell phone and complimentary coffee any day. With the prices I pay for maintenance fees and my mortgage payments to Bluegreen, this became a nightmare "vacation" after I add up the costs and expenses of my trip.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sheffy55

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (478)
Bellmore, New York
Reviewed 16 August 2010

My sister in law invited us to go with her and a group of their friends for a week. I read all the reveiws and I was quite aprehensive as to what it would be like. Is it a five start - NO.. but for those who just want to chill by the beach, pool and drink and eat then this is the place for you. They are doing great renovations and the new rooms are faboulus. They are ALL friendly staff.

We loved it so much that we also bought time here. Now, we will go every October with family and friends and we will also do our own trip in April.

My opinion - don't worry about the bad reviews. The food is good the amenities are good and what more do you really want. Sun, great people food and drinks - Ahhh can't wait to go back again in October.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank trendytracy
staten island
Reviewed 16 August 2010

My husband and I, and our teenage son just returned from two weeks at La Cabana. We were lucky enough to get a renovated room which are clean and well kept everyday by the maid service. The small kitchen area is nice to have for making lunches to bring to the beach and for making breakfast if you prefer. The pool area is well maintained and the property seems promising with all the changes that are coming. The best part of La Cabana is Eagle Beach right across the street! The sand is white and the ocean is crystal clear. The high rise section of Aruba has beautiful hotels, but when you walk through the path behind them in the morning, you see people lining up for a hut and chairs at around 7 am. The beach in that location is no where as beautiful as Eagle Beach. Eagle Beach is quiet and just plain prettier. We went to the beach at several times during the day, and always got a hut and chairs without any stress. Who needs to fight people for chairs and huts on vacation?!!! The staff on the beach come to help you with chairs and getting a hut as soon as you walk on the beach. There is a bar on the beach as well for drinks. There is also a great fitness center and activities like Bingo and Movie Night throughout the week.

The only cons I have for La Cabana is as an earlier post mentioned was the communication with the front desk. Some of them are not the friendliest people, and they should not be welcoming guests as they arrive with their bitter attitudes. Most of the staff is very pleasant, but there are a few who need to have training on dealing with customers. Also, the walls are thin and you do hear every noise. We were inside part of the hotel in a new room on the third floor and the hallway carpet was musty and stained. It definitely needed to be pulled up and changed. However, the room itself was very nice with a good view of the ocean. Other than these minor things, La Cabana is a place worth visiting.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank teacher41
Cuyahoga Falls, Oh
Reviewed 15 August 2010

We exchanged our time share into La Cabana and initially had a rocky start. We had confirmed a renovated room three times by phone, arrived and were put in a room that was yet to be renovated. The initial woman at the front was NO HELP, however - with persistence and working with Guest Services and a different person at the front desk, we were moved.

It is ESSENTIAL to get a new room - the old rooms are straight out of the 50's and the hallway smelled like urine. However, the areas that are renovated are very nice and modern and clean.

Cons:
- Renovation aspect - in time, this will be a GREAT location; they should stop booking the non-renovated rooms because they are unacceptable.
- It is crap shoot what type of response you will get to an issue depending on who is at the front desk; organization and communication needs improved
- Even in the renovated rooms, you can hear everything outside.
- Too many kids, this may not be the best place for couples; we didn't mind, but make sure you go in knowing a lot of families and kids will be present.

Pros:
- Location, location, location - Eagle Beach is beautiful, not run over by a bunch of tourist attractions and high rises - simply the best beach in Aruba.
- There is a family charm to the place, we loved our bartender at the pool bar - Bonnie, she is great! Overall, service was good and the place was well kept, clean and nice.
- Good food - both Las Ramblas and the Islander served great food at reasonable prices.
- The Pata Pata bar was fun with 2 for 1 happy hour specials which are a great way to save and they bring in local music.

They have plans to really make La Cabana a great location with a casino coming, new lobby, etc. In time, this will be a top location. During construction, it is iffy unless you can secure a new room. However, the beach is worth it and being away from the overly touristy areas of Aruba. The bus stop is right out front and provides easy access to the Island.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 10 August 2010

There were 9 of us on this vacation. I exchanged into the La Cabana, with 2 1 Bedroom Units and 1 Studio - it worked out perfectly. When we first arrived on Thursday, our 1 BR and Studio (that were attached) were old units. However, we were moved as soon as an attached unit was available which was on Sunday. The new room was pool side on the second floor, and was lovely. The older room would have been fine, it was clean and had everything we needed, however the new rooms were so much better. The front desk, and the activities desk personnel could not have been any more nice and/or helpful! During renovation, I believe these folks have the worse job. Everyone complains to them, even though we (the customers) knew that the resort was being renovated. It seemed to me that they really tried to help everyone that had a problem. And ERNIE, only the best guy on the island, our wonderful bellman - what a treat! Our friend, Ernie took care of our every need. Great suggestions for dinner spots, ordering cabs for us, taking our family pictures in the lobby, really just making sure we were having a great vacation. Even the woman cleaning the rooms, were very nice, and did a great job. We really enjoyed this relaxing trip. Eagle Beach is beautiful. La Cabana's pool is great, the bartenders are great, the frozen banana drinks were great, the food in the outdoor restaruant was great. I would recommend the Kukoo Kunuku Party Bus Tour to everyone! You're love Mama - what a hoot! I would also recommend Daniel's Steak House - Wow, those steaks were out of this world - remember to get the free house cocktail card (in your welcome package when you check in at La Cabana) - offering up to 6 cocktails free - and they were wonderful! Our waitress was wonderful, she even gave us to of the cocktails to go in a throw away cup! It was really a very enjoyable evening. Oh, don't forget Ben and Jerry's - OMG - the 7 layer coconut ice cream was to die for! We are looking forward to another trip to the "one happy island" Aruba soon! P.S. I was told that part of the renovations at La Cabana, the lobby will be turned into a casino - now we're talking. I was trying to figure out where the lobby will be, but I'm sure it will all work out. We will certainly stay at La Cabana again!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Rosie115
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed 4 August 2010

I would absolutely stay at La Cabana again. Although I would not consider it a 5 star resort, there are so many positives that it doesn't matter.
It is located on the best beach in Aruba which allows you access to so miles of blue water and white sand. Eagle Beach is a much better BEACH then Palm Beach. The area's are completely different as Palm Beach is more active and has restaurants in the water. But from a beach perspective, there is no comparison. Since it is the northernmost resort on Eagle Beach, you are no more then a 5 minute drive to Palm Beach. We rented a car and also used the public transportation which was very safe/cheap.

The Cabana has one of the best pools that I saw on the island and we walked through a lot of resorts. It is a big pool..Daily activities like Bingo and water aerobics are classic. Happy hours are plentiful and this resort has one of the most entertaining pool bars Quality singers/music from 4-6pm (maybe 5-7) is a real treat. You can enjoy from your room, lounge chair, etc. You don't have to be right at the bar...

There are definetly renovations going on at the present time. If you don't know that, you just haven't done your homework. Although unavoidable and somewhat loud, I never once stated I wish I didn't stay there because of it. The resort will be that much better when completed.

The rooms are great because the bedroom is in one area and the family/room is separated by a hallway/bathroom. It's nice for the early riser and a spouse that likes to sleep in. Kitchenette is adequate for all your basic needs. Not to mention the water is really good and you don't need to buy a case of bottled watered. It is warm though when it comes out of the faucet. This is all over Aruba..not just La Cabana.
Internet for $35 for the week was great. Perfect connection. Brought the laptop to look up dinner spots and make reservations. Totally worth it..

Overall, Aruba in general was fantastic. It was my first time and won't be my last.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mcmenamy
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 3 August 2010

The website doesn't do justice to the place. We've been here twice. Both times we arrived less than impressed (if you are expecting Westin or Hyatt you will be disappointed) but left happy, relaxed and surprisingly impressed with how easy, fun and comfortable this hotel is. The newly renovated rooms are clean and attractive , the beds are extremely comfortable and the mini kitchen and comfortable furniture make this place easy to relax in. Fun pool with bar nearly, slide for kids, even bigger slide next door at the Aruban (which La Cabana visitors can use), and tennis courts via the Aruban too (we played every day!). I would definitely recommend. Some negatives: we had to pay $35/week for the wi-fi, some noise from renovations (but never before 9:30AM), mini-mart poor quality.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family