“Lunch in a Bermuda Pub”
Review of Hog Penny

Hog Penny
Reserve with OpenTable
Hog Penny is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 105 Restaurants in Hamilton
Good for: Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Mississauga, Canada
“Lunch in a Bermuda Pub”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

The Hog Penny is a great pub, just of the main street in Hamilton, just up from the harbor. This place has a great atmosphere and good food. We have beeen there several times in the past. The welcome is warm. This time, I had lobster cakes followed by a spinach salad. My lunch companion had grouper seasoned with black rum and ginger, like the “Dark and Stormy” drink. I had one of those to go with my food, followed by a plain ginger beer. My companion had a beer. Everything was very tasty and the service was excellent.

Usually I have the fish and chips, which are extremely good, too. I recommend this place to anyone visiting Bermuda.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Gilbey

North Little Rock, Arkansas
“Cozy Pub in the City”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

While on my honeymoon, my fiance and I had lunch at Hog Penny. It as a very small, cozy pub with a relaxing atmosphere. Oddly enough, it actually felt like the pub filmed in the movie, Inglorious Basterds. Anyhow, we ordered several beers and some sandwiches. I had the veggie sandwich. It was alright, but all the veggies tasted like they were saturated in butter. It was tasty, but I probably would chose something else on our next visit. Also, I had to ask the server three times for a glass of water.... so that was a tad bit annoying. I finally got it, though.

• Visited June 2014
las vegas, nv
“Atmosphere Great! Service? Not so much!”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

This does have a great English Pub atmosphere. Food was so-so. Service? When we came in, the hostess asked how many, then pointed to our choices of tables! She did not walk us to the table, rather she let us know if we were getting "warmer, warmer" as we approached a table that was available! What a hoot! We only ordered soup, ale & appetizer so maybe if we ordered more for lunch we would have gotten better reception from the waitress. As I mentioned before...there were empty tables so it wasn't that they were BUSY. The physical atmosphere is great, the social atmosphere, not so much.

• Visited July 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Nice gastropub”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Hog Penny is akin to a nice pub that you would get in towns in the UK. The finish is wood panelling and low ambient lighting which makes a nice atmosphere. The only downside is that tables are kept quite close together so in busier times you starting to get piled up on top of one another. Not ideal for private conversations, we got to know what the family next to us was up to the following day.

Food was good, the fish chowder served with rum was a great way to start the meal. The grilled fish on offer was very nice, not overcooked, although potentially lacking a bit in seasoning. Portion sizes are very large and you get good bang for your buck.

Reservations recommended or come early.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank tasstw
uk
“Well worth a visit”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We ate here twice. I had the prime rib (which was excellent) and the sausage and mash which was very good. My husband went for the Rock fish both times and loved it. We also popped in a couple of lunchtimes and had the garlic shrimp appetizer which is superb!
Its very small, but the staff are great - down to earth and friendly with a good selection of beer and wine. If you want to eat at a specific time it would be worth making a reservation.
Its not Haute cusine but much like a gastro pub.
By Bermuda standards its good value.
It always seemed busy, with a large number of locals which is always a good sign. All the other food we saw served also looked very good.
Later in the evenings they often had live music but we were always back to the Hotel by then so cannot review.

• Visited June 2014