“WONDERFUL property -”

Rosedon Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Hamilton
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 28 March 2012

I stayed here in late January for a business trip and just loved the hotel. Our room was not in the main house, and was on the second floor. The room had a beautiful four poster bed and gorgeous hardwood floors. The bathroom was small but adequate. A fantastic breakfast came every morning, to be enjoyed either on the front porch (beautiful), in your room or on the patio in front of your room. They were doing some renos while we were there so it wasn't 'peaceful', but I could see that if they weren't renovating, it would be. The grounds were lush and beautifully maintained. I will return to Bermuda, and specifically to this hotel...awesome.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
7  Thank travels4w0rk
TinyBermuda, General Manager at Rosedon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2012

Thank you for this good review. We are sorry you did not get the complete peace and serenity our gardens are noted for. However, I am sure you will be pleased with the improvement s and renovatins made.
We look forward to welcoming you back one day.

Reviewed 27 February 2012

My wife and I just returned home after spending a week at the Rosedon from February 20 to the 26th. We celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary. It was our first time back to Bermuda since our honeymoon at the Rosedon in 1987. Then we were in room 36 behind the pool and this time we were in the main house. It really hasn’t changed in 25 years insofar as everything was perfect as it was 25 years ago. Upon arrival it really felt like we had been there just the day before. We were greeted with a friendly smile in reception and a bottle of chilled sparkling wine was waiting for us in our spacious and beautifully decorated room. Even before unpacking we each took a cold beer from the honour bar (saving the wine for later) and went into the sitting room and immediately met two very nice couples from England and the US. A bit later, afternoon tea was served and the tea, sandwiches and sweets were just as we remembered…..everything was delicious!

We met up with Muriel, the General Manager and really, she hasn’t changed either in 25 years. She still looks stunning! It was like being welcomed back by a close member of the family. That’s what we like about the Rosedon. Everyone is very personable and each makes you feel welcome and that you’re part of a family while there. They go out of their way with special touches such as placing a fresh arrangement of beautiful flowers in our room the next day.

Arriving on a Monday were very much looked forward to the swizzle party the following night and it didn’t disappoint. The rum swizzles were fantastic and we never got to the bottom of a glass as our glass was always refilled before we could finish. The food, both hot and cold was delicious! My wife and I were the first to get the party started but within a few minutes several other guests arrived and everybody began to mingle. We met several very nice people that night.

Something else we looked forward too was having breakfast on the front veranda. Nothing starts the day off quite like a Rosedon breakfast! We enjoyed on various days, pancakes, poached eggs, fried eggs, French toast, waffles. All breakfasts included either sausage or bacon, toast with jams, juice, fresh fruit and tea or coffee. You may also request things like cereal, yogurt if you prefer a lighter breakfast. We always started our daily adventures with a full belly!

As most travellers to Bermuda know, dining out can be quite expensive. There is a grocery store just a 5 minute walk away across Front St. One night we decided to pop in there and buy something to take back to the hotel. We purchased some ready-made food that just needed to be warmed up. So it was back to the Rosedon with Shepard’s pie, scalloped potatoes, crab cakes, two slices of a very decadent chocolate/toffee cake and a nice bottle of red wine. We used the microwave in the pantry to heat our food and one of the gentlemen employees gave us some cutlery. We then retired to the TV room and enjoyed a delicious dinner. All the other guests must have been out because we neither saw anyone coming or going during the hour we relaxed with our dinner and wine. We had the whole place to ourselves!

We had looked forward to swimming in the pool since the ocean is too cold in February. Unfortunately our swim suits would not get used as the pool heater was not working properly. That did not stop us from enjoying the serenity of the pool area itself. It’s very beautiful behind the house with the trees, shrubs and gardens. With no wind back there it can also get quite warm in the sun.

In closing, I can’t speak highly enough of the Rosedon and the wonderful staff who will take care of your every need. I regret that it took us 25 years to return but it was certainly worth the wait. The afternoon of our departure we each gave Muriel a goodbye hug and promised that we would not wait another 25 years to return. That is a promise I know we will live up to!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
14  Thank Hilts
TinyBermuda, General Manager at Rosedon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2012

Thank you for this amazing review! We are thrilled that after 25 years, you found us just as wonderful as your remembered it to be! It sure was a pleasure to have you back. Thanks also for the compliment on how I have not changed. Rosedon sure agrees with me!
We have spent most of this year trying to make the Rosedon experience even better. We want you to keep your word and come back and see us soon.
Your family at Rosedon will be here with welcome arms!

Reviewed 21 February 2012

This hotel is well located in Hamilton close to the ferry terminal. The historical house serves as the lobby and has some guest rooms along with two common rooms used for afternoon tea, or a place to sit by the fireplace and read. The remaining rooms are located around the pool behind the hotel. This hotel is very charming, and the hotel staff go out of their way to be helpful. The breakfast included with the room rate is excellent. Each day you get a hot breakfast, complete with fruit dish and toast/bagel/muffin. They will serve the breakfast on the main veranda of the hotel, by the pool, or in your room. A very nice option. The hotel also has Swizzle night on Tuesdays. They serve complimentary Rum Swizzles and hot and cold appetizers. A very nice way to spend the evening. The rooms are large and very clean, although they are not sound-proof.

Room Tip: Rooms by the pool are quieter than the ones in the main house. While we were there, the wind was ve...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank Travelbug13Canada

Thank you for this positive review! We are happy to learn that your found our proximity to the city and our services to be great. We too feel that our staff make this hotel really shine. They are eager always to go beyond the call of duty.

We look forward to welcoming you back one day.

Reviewed 17 February 2012

Our first trip to Bermuda, so we wanted to take in some of the different areas. Our first 2 days we stayed at the Rosedon Hotel which I wouldn't change at all. The hotel is just as the pictures show, it has more of a boutique feel, romantic and charming. We were there in late April 2011, and the weather was low 70's, sunny and warm enough that we could use the pool area. It was close to downtown activity that you could walk to.

The staff was friendly and helpful. There is a honor system bar section that was well stocked with most items you'd want.

The only suggestion I think I'd make, is to add a walking path to the street, you basically had to walk in the street with traffic to leave the property.

We went across the street to the Fairmount Hamilton Princess for drinks and lunch on the outdoor restaurant deck - great ocean views, friendly staff. We also stopped in places along the main street and side streets that were fun and easy going.

We would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank ACBeachBum

Thank you for this excellent review. I love the adjectives you use to describe us "Boutique, romantic and charming'. This is exactly what we aim to create for the Hotel experience.

We would love to welcome you back one day.

Reviewed 31 January 2012

Lovely rooms, first-rate service, excellent breakfast included in reservations, plus very nice afternoon high tea. Right at the edge of downtown Hamilton, the capitol city. Reasonable rates. We came off-season, jan-feb, and the weather was slightly scattered showers, but mostly lovely. The staff couldn't be kinder to us, they'll arrange day tours, tickets, call for cabs, and there's lunch and dinner room service (extra) that they'll serve anywhere on the property that you choose. Heated pool with a small fountain. Incredible gardens. Lovely veranda. Can't miss with this one!

Room Tip: Hotel is on a hill, so all rooms are quiet. There is no elevator, so keep that in mind if you need...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
9  Thank tzefirah

Thank you for this excellent review! We are happy that you found us to be first rate. Glad to know you got to enjoy our heated pool during the cooler days. I will be sure to pass on your compliments to the staff for their fine service.

We hope to welcome you back one day.

Reviewed 14 January 2012

This was our third time to Bermuda and we like to try a different property each time we come. I'm glad we chose to try the Rosedon Hotel and we would definitely stay here again. I want to make a few comments about topics that people have not mentioned in previous review:

1. Breakfast. You receive a full breakfast each morning. There is a specific breakfast menu each day (not printed) and you can make some modifications from that menu if you do not like what is being served. For example, on Friday they served scrambled eggs with toast, bacon, scones, orange juice, and coffee or tea. On Saturday, they served French Toast with bacon, toast, orange juice, and coffee or tea. On Saturday, they served poached eggs with bacon, toast, an English muffin, orange juice, and coffee or tea. You can have cereal in place of the main dish if you want. You can also have your eggs prepared anyway you like. I enjoyed being able to have breakfast served in any location that I wanted on the property. We ate on the veranda of the main house each morning, though some also ate in their rooms. Personally, I prefer a buffet each morning, but most people seemed to like being served their breakfast in the way that I described.

2. Afternoon tea is served from 4:00pm - 5:30pm in the main house. Red Rose tea was served with finger sandwiches and various pound cakes and fruit cakes. I thought that was a nice touch but the light food is not really filling and you will still want to plan a dinner somewhere.

3. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I specifically want to mention Olga at reception who arranged a taxi for my mom to go the beech for a short while even though it was raining a bit that day. She also gave me good directions to the Gibb's Hill Lighthouse.

4. The room was fine. It could be modernized / updated a bit. There was satellite service but there was also static or background noise coming from the TV (no matter the channel). Fixtures were a little scuffed / banged up. Beds were comfortable and the bathroom was clean.

5. Wifi. I used this a lot on the trip. There is wifi all over the property, however, speed was not always super fast. It seemed to be slower during the day. I suspect when more people were using it then the band with decreased.

6. The location is excellent if you want to be close to Hamilton. The Rosedon Hotel provides a lot of extras for a very good price. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
20  Thank ChinaShrek

Thank you for such a detailed good review. We have noted all of the points mentioned. We are pleased to share with you that many of our rooms have been upgraded this year and we continue to do the final few while I write. We have also worked on ensuring our Wifi is faster and consistent for all our guests. I will be sure to share with Olga your compliments for taking such good care of your mother.

We are glad you would return and look forward to welcoming you back one day.

Reviewed 14 January 2012

I stayed with a friend at the Rosedon for 3 nights back in October and am so glad we found this place. My taste is all over the place. I love four star accommodations and service but also don't mind roughing it in a funky place so sometimes it's hard for me to decide. This was a short getaway and I didn't want much fuss so we went the luxury route. The hotel is just past the main street in Hamilton so for location you can't do any better. It's possible to walk to any restaurant or for shopping. There is a pool and the grounds are beautifully landscaped. We took a swim each morning before breakfast and it was a perfect way to start the day. Breakfast is included and although you don't order from a menu the meal was delicious and abundant. The staff is friendly, sometimes too friendly but rather that than the opposite. In the afternoon they have tea time on the porch with tea of course, little sandwiches and cakes. They will also make a lunch to go for your day on the beach. We did this one day and it was reasonably priced and satisfying. They also have a beach shuttle available for free and that was a nice way to break up our sunning. The beach has no life-guard but there were other people swimming and the area was lovely.

The room was spacious and clean but had some funky features. If you pulled out one of the drawers all the way the valance would fall off the window. It's a big one piece thing so not a big deal to put back but kinda weird. The front door hits the bed when opened but there was plenty of room for two people to move around in and we didn't bump into each other. The beds were comfy and there was plenty of room for our clothes and toiletries. I think it could have been a bit more posh and as the hotel goes this is the one thing that kept my review from being excellent. I would still recommend this place.

the porch and common area is comfortable. There is a communal computer in the parlor and I never had to wait much for access.

In general Bermuda is expensive. restaurants are good but portions are small and the bill is not. Getting around via taxi is ridiculous so having a place to stay that offers pool and beach and some food included makes it a great deal.

I also loved that it was a smaller hotel. I don't have any experience staying at the big places so I don't know how that compares, but for me the Rosedon hit the right balance. It offered a lot in an intimate setting. If I return to Bermuda I will most certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
7  Thank pearl88

Thank you for this positive review. We are sure glad you decided to stay with us for your short visit to Bermuda. We are happy to share we have corrected the valance box falling when draw is opened. They have been shortened. We have noted other points for improvement.
We are pleased we struck the right balance for you and look forward to your possible return.

Muriel Richardson

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hamilton
Royal Palms Hotel
Cambridge Beaches
Cambridge Beaches
#1 of 3 in Sandys Parish
Hamilton Princess & Beach Club, a Fairmont Managed Hotel

Been to Rosedon Hotel? Share your experiences!