“Fab hotel”

Rosedon Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Hamilton
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 18 September 2013

My husband and I have just returned from another lovely week at this hotel, this is a return visit for us and I was delighted in the six years since our last visit the hotel still offers the same high quality, the hotel staff are extremely welcoming and nothing is too much trouble.the hotel is only small but this ensures that guests a lovely relaxing environment in which to relax whether its by the pool or enjoying their complimentary afternoon tea or their once a week rum swizzle party, and be warned the sizzles are all too easy to drink. The bedrooms are spacious we stayed in the superior room with guest robes slippers, with a fridge and docking system to charge your i phone.

The hotel is ideally situated just a few minutes from front street in Hamilton where there are numerous restaurants to choose from and all the main shops.

If anyone is considering a stay I would say its defiantly one to choose if not for the yummy breakfasts brought to you outside your room then the beautiful gardens, my only problem is trying to work out when we can visit again !

2  Thank Mrsn2007
TinyBermuda, General Manager at Rosedon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2013

Thank you for this positive review. We are thrilled that your return trip found us just as charming as your last visit. Our small size does lend itself to truly relaxing and gives us more opportunity to spoil you.

We can't wait to welcome you back.

Warm Regards,

There are newer reviews for Rosedon Hotel

Reviewed 14 September 2013

The other reviewers have mentioned the location, wonderful breakfast, delightful tea time, etc. There are other items that make this a delightful Bermuda choice. Complimentary champagne and cookies were in the room for our anniversary. The staff tries to upgrade visitor's rooms if vacancies exist. The dine-around program at several restaurants in the area provide a significant savings. There are fixed price meals at about $27 or $47. One excellent dinner overlooking Hamilton harbor was initially billed at $175 for two people. The correct amount with the voucher was a $60 savings. Taxi/van transport to Elbow Beach is provided daily. This round trip is about a $50 value for two people. NOTE: if you don't want to stay for 4 hours it's an easy walk back to the bus stop for an economical ride back to Hamilton. If you arrive at the airport I suggest you book the shuttle van for $10 per person each way which is quite a savings and very reliable. An urban market (Meyers) literally across the street provides many choices from the deli, for beverages, for snacks, etc. The internet access from the lobby area was quick and reliable. Finally, the walk from the Rosedon to the ferry terminal or the first bus stop is well lit, has pedestrians from nearby hotels and seems very safe. A minor critique was an error in initial billing and final invoice which were promptly corrected and even prompted a personal apology call back the the US from the general manager.

Room Tip: We had room 71 in a quiet downstairs corner near the pool. Recently refurbished and most easy acces...
3  Thank Tarheel1967
TinyBermuda, General Manager at Rosedon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2013

Thank you for this wonderful review! I love the way you have clearly shown the immense savings one can enjoy when staying with us. We continually look for ways to bring value to staying with us. We do make an effort to upgrade if we have availability which is always a welcome surprise.

We look forward to the possibility of welcoming you back one day.

Reviewed 6 September 2013

This was our first trip to Bermuda so we wanted to stay in centrally located hotel, not too big, and evocative of Bermuda. We struck solid gold at the Rosedon -- with guidance from the many glowing reviews the Hotel has earned on Tripadvisor. The Rosedon is a charming home-plus-hotel artfully arranged around a lovely garden and pool. The property is gorgeous and beautifully maintained, private and secluded yet a 3 minute walk from Front Street. The staff was cordial and service was exemplary, always offered with a warm smile. I can echo the many comments here about wonderful breakfasts and lovely teas, and add that the pool was a quiet escape that we made full use of. If you want to spend full days on the beach you might want to choose a more beachside resort. But for those of us who like to sightsee, relax and read by the pool, visit a beach for an afternoon, walk to a wide varity of restaurants and bars at night and soak up some authentic Bermudian ambiance the Rosedon is the place. Guests were an eclectic mix of Brits, Americans etc and many were repeat guests or plan to be. Friends traveling together would be comfortable here, as would business travelers. Most guests were couples and there was a sprinkling of parents with older children who seemed very happy at the Rosedon. My husband and I would definitely return to the Rosedon, and our next visit will certainly include a Tuesday night because I hear that Swizzle party rocks!

3  Thank jfiddes
TinyBermuda, General Manager at Rosedon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2013

Thank you for this fantastic review. We are thrlled when we read reviews such as yours. It confirms that our efforts to create a uniquely Bermudian experience, in an intimate, personal setting is working. Yes, our Swizzle party can be lots of fun. Last night we had guests singing and dancing along with our calypsonian.
We look forward to welcomng you back.

Reviewed 5 September 2013

The grounds of the Rosedon offer quiet insulation from the busy street. The staff was helpful and friendly. The rooms were lovely. Breakfast was excellent and served anywhere you wanted...pool, room,porch and tea was a welcome respite from the heat and busyness of sightseeing.

Room Tip: We booked a smaller room but were offered an upgrade when we arrived. We were in the inner court whi...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dianne M
TinyBermuda, General Manager at Rosedon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Thank you for this positive review. So happy to learn that you found our location, rooms, ambience and service to be just what you needed.

We look forward to welcoming you back one day.

Reviewed 5 September 2013

The Rosedon initially appears quite pleasant, with french doors to the main house and traditional English country furnishings in the guest areas. The common area, however, is limited. There is a small guest living room and a porch with seating room for 20 guests. There is no actual breakfast room or bar.

The Deluxe room to which I was originally assigned was very spacious, with high ceilings and a large bathroom. My initial delight, however, soon evaporated. Ants crawled on the bathroom walls and bathtub, and after someone came to spray pesticide on the walls and in the cracks, the bathroom, as well as the bedroom, smelled like toxins for the rest of the day/night. In the evening, I watched TV from the tiny flat screen, but there was clearly something awry with the sound system, as even though I had the volume at the maximum level, it was still difficult to hear what was being said (and I am not hard of hearing!).

At 5:45am I awoke to a dripping sound. It had rained during the night and my window frame was leaking significantly, drenching the surrounding interior area. Meanwhile, minutes after flushing the toilet, I still heard water moving through the pipes.... The toilet was overflowing. I have stayed in many hotels and with quite a range of travelers – from rowdy, messy college friends to family, and other business-related trips – and I have stayed in hotels from the Econolodge off a NY interstate (what I do not miss about high school sports trips!) to 5-star European hotels, but I have never experienced a hotel toilet overflow. Very quickly the entire bathroom floor became an enormous puddle. I was mortified.

I called downstairs, and a maintenance worker arrived in a reasonably timely fashion to my room. However, he informed me that he would come back “in the morning when I woke up” to fix everything. I was confused – am I not up? Are these issues not urgent? How am I supposed to sleep when the leak was what woke me up? And how about that flooding in the bathroom? And – what if I actually need to use the bathroom?

When I requested to change rooms, I was told that reservations did not open until 7am, and that nothing could be done until after that time. I therefore packed my belongings, and waited, in my pajamas, by the front desk. The only other person present was the security guard - an important presence as the doors to the“hotel” (it’s more of a B&B) are left wide open 24/7. The guard departed at 6:50am, and I waited in the foyer alone until almost 7:10am when the check-in personnel arrived.

I explained the situation to the receptionist, and rather than apologizing or seeming concerned, she expressed surprise that I wanted to move and explained that accommodating my request might be an issue because they were very busy. Although she was not the first person to make me feel uncomfortable, the complete lack of an apology or even feigned concern took me by surprise. I was moved to another room in the hotel/B&B – on the ground floor of the detached building. While this room was also spacious and beautifully decorated, the bathroom was a disappointment. Some of the floor tiles and grout were stained, there was a yellow stain on the back of the door, and there were several foreign hairs in/around the bathtub.

After some debate, I enquired at reception, what the stains might be. The response? “Miss, this is an island. I have dealt with you already, you’ll have to talk to the manager.” I waited, somewhat taken aback by her tone, as she went into the back room and whispered with someone – again, as a guest, it’s a bit uncomfortable to hear your name occasionally among whispers/sighs/etc. After 5 minutes, a manager appeared (though I will note it was *not* Ms. Richardson, who I did see talking very kindly with a couple about some issues with their stay). Her first comment was “Miss I don’t know why you’re here – you’ve already had an upgrade on your stay, no?” I thought to myself - why, yes I did… because I woke up to a leak and had water covering the bathroom floor. Surely I would rather get some sleep before a day of meetings than deal with moving to a room that literally costs just $40 more than the lovely one I’m already in? And her response to the cause or origin of the stains? “I don’t know m’am, that’s not my concern, but the room I am telling you is clean.” Clearly foreign hairs and stains are not viewed as worrisome at this establishment.

Two other quick notes. Firstly, the pool is quite small, and the mosquitoes were troublesome. If you are with children, or if you can spare the extra $100/night, then do stay at the Fairmont – the pool area is maybe 3 times larger, the pool itself looks like a real 25-yard pool, and the pool there also offers a beautiful view, as it’s right along the water. The Rosedon pool is surrounded by the buildings of the hotel, as well as many trees, so it’s a bit of a fight for a place in the sun. The cots are also resting on the grass, so your things get dirty/muddy (if it’s damp) if they fall off the table or cot. And, secondly, the food options at the Rosedon are very limited. It’s quite nice being able to have breakfast delivered to your room – or anywhere else on the grounds – however the breakfast itself is bland. There is no room service, but rather just a small pantry (honor system) with chips, a few chocolate bars, and basic beverages. While they claim the rates are under market, a bottle of water is $2, however you can get it at the nearby grocery store for $1.19.

I was very much looking forward to my first of likely many visits to Bermuda, and unfortunately my disappointing experience at the Rosedon overshadowed the stay. I usually enjoy local boutique hotels, but although I might sometimes opt for this style to a larger chain such as the Fairmont, I simply cannot justify spending even $1 to feel insecure, patronized, and physically uncomfortable. The Rosedon might consider improving their customer relations -- and their plumbing.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
16  Thank NYEm
TinyBermuda, General Manager at Rosedon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2013

I am absolutely shocked at the service levels and attitudes you have described. Please accept my sincerest apologies for this. While you were with us it was brought to my attention that the window was left open and there was not a leak.The plumbing to the toilet has been corrected. I also understood you were satisfied with the new room allocated. Hence my disappointment to learn that you left unhappy with us.

I have opened a full investigation into all areas of neglect that you have outlined and will certainly use this review to correct these concerns.

Our aim and goal is to ensure that everyone that stays with us is treated with exta special attention, dignity and respect. Again my sincere apologies for your unsatisfactory stay with us.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 3 September 2013

I've stayed at the Rosedon for many years and appreciate the charm and warmth of the place. I enjoy staying in the main house especially after the recent renovations. I think the most civilized place to have tea or breakfast on the island is on the front porch, watching all the other unfortunates trudging into Hamilton after over-paying for their hotels. If you want charm, thoughtfulness and something a little special, you need look no further.

Room Tip: Stay in the house if you can (unless you like the pool)
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank oliver w
TinyBermuda, General Manager at Rosedon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2013

Thank you for this wonderful review. It warmed my heart to read how special we had made you feel. We are so appreciative that you have returned to stay with us many times. It is one of our goals to have our guests feeling like they would stay no where else when in Bermuda.

Your returning again shows that we have achieved this with you. We can't wait to welcome you back again.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 3 September 2013

This hotel treats you like royalty. Whatever you need they will get it for you and the staff is the best. So much nicer then a big hotel and it is close to the stores and dining. I would recommend anyone going to Bermuda to stay here. Plus, it is next to the Bacardi Run factory!!

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Munchkin1230
TinyBermuda, General Manager at Rosedon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2013

Thank you for this wonderful review. We are proud of our staff who continue to go 'over and beyond' to satisfy our guests.
We hope to welcome you back one day.

Muriel Richardon

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hamilton
Royal Palms Hotel
Cambridge Beaches
Cambridge Beaches
#1 of 3 in Sandys Parish
Hamilton Princess & Beach Club, a Fairmont Managed Hotel

Been to Rosedon Hotel? Share your experiences!