“Very enjoyable visit to Kingston House”
Review of Kingston House B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hamilton
Kingston House B&B
Ranked #1 of 3 Hamilton B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
EB, NJ
“Very enjoyable visit to Kingston House”
Reviewed 1 March 2008

Marlie and Harry are phenomenal hosts. Kingston House is one of the best bed and breakfasts my husband and I have had the pleasure of staying in. The house is hospitable and welcoming, just like Marlie and Harry. Harry is a veritable fountain of island knowledge, and Marlie more than willing to share her insights on the island.

We had a downstairs bedroom adjoining the "family" room. We made great use of the games and video collection in the evening. There is also a mini fridge, wet bar, and microwave available for guests to use. They also have an endless pool. However, it was a bit chilly for us to use.

Harry was kind enough to take us into town several times. Their retreat is a bit out of town, at least a 15-20 min. walk (no sidewalks). We used the bus and ferry systems with no problems. It was most enjoyable to see the sites this way. We took different bus routes going to and from St. Georges. We also found it easy (when tired on way home) to take a cab from the Hamilton Princess ($5.00 US). It would cost about $7.00 from the bus terminal downtown.

In regards to cost, Bermuda is a bit expensive. However, we have learned in our travels to have breakfast in, and lunch a bit later (cheaper than dinner), and then bring back a sandwhich or salad. At Kingston House, you have a lovely dining area to utilze and most of the amenities of home.

We had a very enjoyable stay and would not hesitate to stay at Kingston House again.

• Liked — Harry, Marlie, the dogs, the ambience,
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 5 February 2008

I stayed at Kingston House for 3 weeks, complements of my new employer while looking for an apartment to rent. I'm working here for 2 yrs. so any information "Harry and Marlie" could give me was much appreciated. And island information in abundance was given to me. I am so appreciative of their hospitality. Their home was warm and friendly. The breakfast I ate their was a good start to my day. Their 2 dogs occasionally there to greet me after my work day. The wireless internet provided was important to me and many t.v. channels to keep me entertained as well. It's a short walk to the city of Hamilton. If needed, a scooter rental shop is just around the corner. Very friendly there too. I would not hesitate to recommend Kingston House as a place to stay while you're visiting Bermuda.

Stayed January 2008
1 Thank BethDengirl
Toronto
Reviewed 5 January 2008

My wife and I had a great time in Bermuda and the Kingston House is the most popular B&B in Bermuda for good reason!

Harry & Marlie are fantastic hosts and their home is ideal for rest and relaxation.

We stayed at the Kingston House for 7 nights (Dec 28, 2007 to Jan 4, 2008) in the Palmetto suite and it was wonderful.

We chose to stay at the Kingston House because of the great reviews posted on Trip Advisor and its top B&B rating.

We rented a scooter for the week and saw all attractions on the island! We even went swimming at several beaches, Crazy Canadians that we are!

We had great conversations with Harry & Marlie and want them to visit us in Toronto.

• Liked — Hosts Harry & Marlie made their home ours for the week
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AVVToronto
Columbia, Maryland
Reviewed 2 January 2008

...I too enjoyed my stay with the great hosts at Kingston House. They are incredibly helpful in planning activities, with a complete library on Bermuda.in the communal den area (with games, DVD's etc.). You can chat with Harry/Marlie as they are really, genuinely nice people or enjoy the peace and quiet of your room. I thoroughly robbed the cookie jar one night and Marlie's response was to fill it to the brim the next day.
Check in is late at four in the afternoon, but you can drop your bags and get out and about. Breakfast was early for me, someone who likes to sleep in on holiday, but H/M would have accomodated me had I asked, and breakfast was so nice I actually didn't mind getting up. It was certainly better than ANY continental breakfast in ANY hotel I have ever had!
You are just two minutes from Front Street in Hamilton by scooter, and everything from the Southern Beaches (within ten to 15 minutes), The Naval Dockyard (a good 35-40 minutes) and St.George (easily 25 minutes) are all within a fun scooter's ride.
Spend a ton at the "resorts" (though none looked worth the exorbitant prices I've seen posted) or stay in an own-home atmosphere at the Kingston House. If Bermuda had more (read: any) nightlife I would be a regular.

• Liked — Proximity to Hamilton/rest of islands
  • Disliked — soft mattress (loved by many, I know)
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled solo
3 Thank KevinShea
long island, New York
Reviewed 30 October 2007

Just returned yesterday from a quick two night getaway to Bermuda. We were lucky enough to have found the Kingston House from the rave reviews on Trip Advisor. The wonderful reviews give an accurate picture of this wonderful gem. My husband and I had never stayed at a B&B before and this was a wonderful treat which will sure be hard to beat. Nearby hotels are more than 500 a night and can't give you the rare insight that Harry and Marlie as wonderful hosts can provide. We stayed in the Palmetto suite for $160 a night including tax and breakfast. The house is immaculate and decorated by the talented Marlie who is an amazing artist. Harry and Marlie are genuine people who go above and beyond to make your stay enjoyable.

I went on this trip to see a place I had never been to and had to use up expiring plane vouchers. I didn't plan very well and Harry gave me a great deal of advice to steer me in the right direction. We were able to see so much in such a short time and will need to return to finish. The bus and ferry system is excellent. Keep in mind that the ferry does not go to St. George from Hamilton on Sunday. Buses were an excellent way to get around and I recommend buying the transportation pass at the airport if you plan on using the system a lot. Taxis are expensive costing 27 dollars plus tip to get to the Kingston House. If you have a light amount of luggage you can take the number 3 or 11 bus to the town of Hamilton and take a 6 dollar cab to the Kingston House. My husband always says you are on vacation and should expect to pay for cabs etc. We took a cab to the hotel and the bus back to the airport. Don't miss the Crystal Caves it was amazing and the combination ticket of 23 dollars for the Fantasy Caves and Crystal Caves is worth it. Food is expensive in Bermuda because most things need to be brought into the island.Food everywhere in The Carribbean is expensive as well and you need to remember that you are on vacation and this comes with the territory.

We had Bermuda lobster at the Lobster Pot right in town and it was delicious, my favorite meal. We dined at the Pickled Onion and the Hog Penny for Pub grub type food. Sorry that we missed Portofino an Italian restaurant which smelled delicous and looked inviting.

To sum it up I highly recommend the Kingston House for it's welcoming home atmosphere with kind,generous hosts that you will not find anywhere that could come close or compare. Thanks to Marlie and Harry for your hospitality and kindness. We will be back!

• Liked — Wonderful hosts and the welcoming atmosphere
  • Disliked — Does not apply. Everything great
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
5 Thank SuzanneSR
Connecticut
Reviewed 27 October 2007

We stayed at the Kingston House for 6 nights in late March-early April. This vacation followed a major home renovation, so we were in the mood for a relaxing vacation. Bermuda was just right for us, and the Kingston House was a wonderful B&B. Marlie was away on family business, but Harry was very helpful and entertaining. It was interesting to chat with Harry, since, as a native Bermudian, he had many interesting observations about Bermuda history and society.
We stayed in one of the first floor rooms (the one nearest the kitchen). When we return, we will probably try one of the other rooms. The Kingston House was well located - a short walk from the center of Hamilton. As other posters have noted, you have to pay attention to the traffic when walking to or from Hamilton

• Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
Palm City, FL
Reviewed 3 September 2007

Despite a lost bag and 2 days of stormy weather of the 3 full days we were there, it was a fantastic trip thanks to the unmatched hospitality shown by the innkeepers Harry and Marlie Powell. Read the prior reviews and a very accurate description is given. We spent 4 nights in the Palmetto suite located on the 2nd floor. Other reviewers have already described both the room and the house very well. Harry and Marlie are vey personable and well suited as hosts. If you've ever been to a bed and breakfast and felt some kind of awkwardness or nosiness on the part of the hosts, this will not be the case at Kingston House. The Powells made us feel like family in their home while at the same time respecting our privacy throughout the stay. Listening to Harry tell stories around the breakfast table with the other guests was a great way to start our day. Most things have been covered in prior reviews, but a couple of notes to add are: there are beach towels (in addition to the bath towels) for you to use so packing them isn't necessary, there is a shampoo, conditioner and shower gel dispenser in the shower, the wireless network is very fast so pack a laptop, and according to my wife the hair dryer is very good. One more tidbit, if you've never been to Bermuda you may not be aware of what a prior reviewer called a "peeper" at night. It turns out the whole island has been taken over by some exceptionally loud tree frogs at night that are called peepers. If you're a light sleeper ear plugs may be helpful.

• Liked — The Hosts
  • Disliked — The tree frogs
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ChangesInLatitudes33
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hamilton
Royal Palms Hotel
#3 of 6 in Paget Parish
Cambridge Beaches
Cambridge Beaches
#1 of 3 in Sandys Parish

Been to Kingston House B&B? Share your experiences!