“Stay Clear of This Property for Now”

Elbow Beach, Bermuda
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Paget Parish
Washington, DC
“Stay Clear of This Property for Now”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2006

I don't normally write to the senior management of a hotel chain, but the quality of our room and of some of the wait staff was so atrocious that I felt that I needed to do so. Plus, the mother of the bride of the wedding that I attended received such abominable service from the hotel, to include providing the bride and groom with an ant-infested room and then moving them to an unrenovated room with stained carpeting and dingy furniture, forgetting to order the champagne, refusing at first to provide contracted services (and then only doing it after significant protests had been lodged). Accordingly, I felt compelled to suggest to the Mandarin Oriental's corporate management that they either divest themselves of this property, fire the on-site management or retrain the entire staff. Would I go there again? Not to this property, under this management.

Here's a sample of my experience at this property:

With regard to the quality of the accomodations, a catalogue of the condition of my room at checkin:

1. Stained carpet

2. Chipped furniture -- nightstand, desk, perhaps more; I stopped looking

3. Dirty walls

4. Duvet cover with ink marks on it

5. Moldy grout on the floor of the bathroom -- orange in color

6. Broken stopper in the bathtub -- the broken pieces were sitting on the side of the tub

7. Chipped bathtub

8. Inoperable climate control knob -- it had been stripped

9. Dirty safe

10. Sloping and dusty floor -- or perhaps it was just a very poor job of installing the carpet

Other guests at the wedding I attended also commented to me that they had received rooms with stained carpet, worn furniture and moldy curtains. Some even had cockroaches in their rooms and ants in their beds (the latter, as noted above, was experienced by the bride).

With regard to my interactions with the staff of the hotel, the vast majority were quite accomodating and helpful. This included the front desk staff, the concierge, the sales people in the on-site stores, and the wait staff at Mickey's and the Lido Cafe. Further, the food was outstanding and the beach quite breathtaking.

Unfortunately, some of the staff were notable by their rudeness and lack of commitment to serving their guests. This included the manager on duty when I arrived, who indicated that all the rooms in the main hotel were similar to mine and declined initially to provide the advertised small discount for inconveniencing guests who were in unrenovated rooms on floors undergoing renovation (as both I and my adult children were). It also included the wait staff in the Veranda on June 13, who looked visibly upset that my husband and I and our children wanted to have breakfast in the Veranda room and who subsequently failed to bring the breakfasts promptly -- we waited about 45 minutes -- and then when he brought the breakfasts, failed to bring my husband and daughter their full breakfasts but charged them for full breakfasts. (They had ordered eggs, which are supposed to come with sausage and bacon. They received the eggs, but not the sausage and bacon. I subsequently insisted on an adjustment in the bill, which the waiter made after scowling at me.) I would also note that some of the charges were different from those listed on my confirmation, a discrepancy that I resolved to my satisfaction ultimately but which never should have occurred.

42 Thank traveler196869

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2006

My husband and I had to find last minute accomodations, so we booked through Cheaptickets. The hotel's "undesirable" rooms are contracted out to travel sites for booking. For the same price/night, we could have had a pool or bay view if we had booked directly with Elbow Beach Hotel.
The main hotel building is older, but the room was clean and air conditioned. The resort grounds are excellent: groomed walkways with lots of flowers, many delicious dining options including beachfront dining, and a superb beach service with complimentary towels, lounge chairs, table-and-umbrella stands on a private beach. Had a fabulous stay and will certainly return - except next time, we'll book with the hotel directly!

13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2006

I just loved our room at Elbow Beach. We were there for a business conference and I usually avoid large resorts, but I was in heaven at this place. Our room was #506 in the Honeysuckle building, and I think it was one of the best locations on the property. Our room felt completely private, in large part because of the large and private patio with a little lawn area beyond it and great ocean views. I loved sitting on the patio with just the birds.

The room has a light beach-house decor which reminded of the fabulous Shutters in Santa Monica. Roomy fridge/bar/coffeemaking area, Plasma TV, sitting area, desk, and gorgeous bathroom. The bathtub was so enticing, I actually took a bath which is something I never do in hotels. I just couldn't resist that little pot of bath salts. A large glass shower was luxurious and though the vanity had only one sink, the counter is spacious and the closet had more than enough room for the two of us. All the usual amenities - but so beautifully and thoughtfully appointed. I was really surprised at how much I liked this room. One thing I had never seen before: I opened the drawer to the night stand and there was a local phone book with a little plastic magnifying glass on top! How cool is that!?

Dinner at the popular Mickey's restaurant on the beach was good - I wouldn't call it fantastic food, but you're RIGHT on the beach. The beach is beautiful, too. White sand and you can walk down to Coral Beach Club.

Make sure you get a good location at this resort - it makes all the difference. Some of the buildings' views are blocked by foliage and the resort map is deceiving. You actually want to be higher up for better views and more privacy, not closer to the beach. It's a 2-minute walk to the beach, and you don't need a ride.

I had no problems with any of the service and found everyone very friendly. I did have to call three times to get a light bulb replaced, but I was so happy at this place, I couldn't have cared less about the light bulb. I would go back there in a heartbeat, even if it is a bigger resort with more people than I usually like.

• Stayed June 2006, travelled on business
29 Thank UpgradeQueen
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2006

I stayed in October of 2005 and was worried about the weather. The forcast was rain, but as we learned when we arrived, "rain" in Bermuda was a lovely light sprinkle that lasted less than an hour. The grounds of Elbow Beach are some of the best on the island. The landscaping is very mature and was fantastic. It is not hard to walk to the beach through the property, winding through gardens and hammocks. The one drawback is that the beach is small, and appears to be erroding. Visit while it lasts!

• Stayed October 2005
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
nj
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2006

Had a wedding party of 70 people booked in 35 rooms during the week of May 20th 2006. Hotel was charming and gracious particularly it's wedding coordinator and support staff. Weather was clear with ocean swimming no problem and clean grounds recently renovated. The hotel has a new shine on and seems refreshed and upgraded. Our guests all swore they would go back in a NY minute.
Their concierge services are first class and you need not pre-plan anything. They quickly bring you up to speed on restaurants, and touring plans of every kind. Relax, and enjoy one of the most spectacular beaches available at this oceanfront resort. Book an oceanview room in the main house and gaze over a very wide panorama of the horizon with torquoise waters and white washed rooftops.
Hawaii's beaches rank a 7 out of ten compared to this soft as talc pink strand. Bermuda's many hidden coves can be explored easily by boat rental out of cambridge beaches.

11 Thank skidzo
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2006

First I want to say that Bermuda is one of the most beautiful & picturesque island. The island is in pristine and very clean condition not like some of the other caribbean islands. The sand is extremely soft and a pretty pink hue to it.

Now for the hotel: the hotel is in the process of making itself a Mandarin quality. The hotel is own privately by a Prince but managed by Mandarin Oriental. We satyed in one of the oceanview room/cottages. It is one of the newly renovated ones. Double French doors lead out to your own manicured garden patio that overlooks the ocean. The decor of the room is like of a modern vacation beach cottage. The room also has a Flat screen LCD TV and a high quality surround sound system. We truly fell in love with this place!

The main hotel is about 100ft uphill from the beach. There is a shuttle that takes you from the front entrance of the hotel to the beach. They also take you to your cottage as they are locate right near the beach.

We ate at Lido's almost everynight we were there. This is where I would like my wedding reception & ceremony held! The food & service is fantastic! But the best part is the restaurant is located right above the beach and they have HUGE bay windows looking out onto the ocean!

We also ate at Mickey's(which are also has the same owner's as Lido's). Mickey's is locted right on the beach. The food was okay and it was just as expensive as Lido's but more casual.

The pool area was just renovated and is beautiful but the service needs some fine tuning. There is a staff there (always hang around the bar area) but thet do not bother to set-up for you.
The beach is magnificent! The service should be the example of what the pool staff should be like!

I will include some of my own personal pics, Enjoy!

• Stayed May 2006
9 Thank affluent_traveler
Brooklyn, NY
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2006

Just returned from 5 days at Elbow Beach. The resort itself is quite lovely, but the service is definitely not up to par with other resorts in the same price/class range. Despite this being an island getaway and obviously laid back to some degree, there is a big difference between service being "relaxed" and just plain "inattentive." Getting the checks to sign out each night after dinner or at the bar took a significant amount of effort, and although we were staying in a 3-person suite, it took repeated calls to Housekeeping to get enough supplies (towels, tea cups, glasses, robes, etc) for all of us. We have stayed in the St. Regis and Four Seasons before, where someone is ready to help as soon as you even glance at them - nevermind ask more than once. Elbow Beach will most likely get it together soon as the Mandarin Oriental way becomes more ingrained and comfortable, but right now the price you pay and the service you get just don't correspond, which is truly disappointing.

• Stayed May 2006
Cambridge Beaches
Cambridge Beaches
#1 of 3 in Sandys Parish
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,040 reviews

Been to Elbow Beach, Bermuda? Share your experiences!