I don't normally write to the senior management of a hotel chain, but the quality of our room and of some of the wait staff was so atrocious that I felt that I needed to do so. Plus, the mother of the bride of the wedding that I attended received such abominable service from the hotel, to include providing the bride and groom with an ant-infested room and then moving them to an unrenovated room with stained carpeting and dingy furniture, forgetting to order the champagne, refusing at first to provide contracted services (and then only doing it after significant protests had been lodged). Accordingly, I felt compelled to suggest to the Mandarin Oriental's corporate management that they either divest themselves of this property, fire the on-site management or retrain the entire staff. Would I go there again? Not to this property, under this management.
Here's a sample of my experience at this property:
With regard to the quality of the accomodations, a catalogue of the condition of my room at checkin:
1. Stained carpet
2. Chipped furniture -- nightstand, desk, perhaps more; I stopped looking
3. Dirty walls
4. Duvet cover with ink marks on it
5. Moldy grout on the floor of the bathroom -- orange in color
6. Broken stopper in the bathtub -- the broken pieces were sitting on the side of the tub
7. Chipped bathtub
8. Inoperable climate control knob -- it had been stripped
9. Dirty safe
10. Sloping and dusty floor -- or perhaps it was just a very poor job of installing the carpet
Other guests at the wedding I attended also commented to me that they had received rooms with stained carpet, worn furniture and moldy curtains. Some even had cockroaches in their rooms and ants in their beds (the latter, as noted above, was experienced by the bride).
With regard to my interactions with the staff of the hotel, the vast majority were quite accomodating and helpful. This included the front desk staff, the concierge, the sales people in the on-site stores, and the wait staff at Mickey's and the Lido Cafe. Further, the food was outstanding and the beach quite breathtaking.
Unfortunately, some of the staff were notable by their rudeness and lack of commitment to serving their guests. This included the manager on duty when I arrived, who indicated that all the rooms in the main hotel were similar to mine and declined initially to provide the advertised small discount for inconveniencing guests who were in unrenovated rooms on floors undergoing renovation (as both I and my adult children were). It also included the wait staff in the Veranda on June 13, who looked visibly upset that my husband and I and our children wanted to have breakfast in the Veranda room and who subsequently failed to bring the breakfasts promptly -- we waited about 45 minutes -- and then when he brought the breakfasts, failed to bring my husband and daughter their full breakfasts but charged them for full breakfasts. (They had ordered eggs, which are supposed to come with sausage and bacon. They received the eggs, but not the sausage and bacon. I subsequently insisted on an adjustment in the bill, which the waiter made after scowling at me.) I would also note that some of the charges were different from those listed on my confirmation, a discrepancy that I resolved to my satisfaction ultimately but which never should have occurred.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Elbow Beach is Bermuda's only luxury beachfront resort. Lanai-style patios are featured with each of our 98 guestrooms and suites, spread amongst 50 acres of tropical gardens sloping down to the longest private pink sand beach on the island. Each of our elegantly appointed rooms and suites have been enhanced with modern in-room entertainment systems, luxurious soft furnishings, iPod docking stations, personal espresso machines and upgraded bathroom facilities. Facilities include a holistic spa, swimming pool, fitness room, recreation lounge, tennis courts and more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Southall Travel, Hotels.com, Expedia, TravelUp, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Elbow Beach, Bermuda reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Elbow Beach, Bermuda Hotel Paget
- Mandarin Oriental Paget
- Elbow Beach, Bermuda Paget Parish
- Elbow Beach Hotel Bermuda