“Looks dated but very nice”

Coco Reef Resort Bermuda
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Paget Parish
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Stayed her eon a walking holiday. Good central location on Bermuda. Bus stop at end of road.
Hotel decor is a bit old fashioned - but maybe all the hotels are? However, all the necessary facilities were there. Staff very helpful and good service. Food was very nice apart from 1st night there (Tues ) - Island buffet. Also BBQ night on Thurs was reported as poor so we went out. Rest of the meals were delicious and good quality. Enough to choose from for a week. Lunch was great too. Breakfast was a bit boring. All about eggs which they didn't do very well!
No bath, just shower - but need to conserve water so no problem. Bed was very bouncy - felt like water bed - wasn't. Shower a bit low in pressure. Lovely balcony with excellent views and the birds visit when you sit out.
Beach is a bit small but lovely location. Down lots of steps - may be a problem for some.

Room Tip: Beach view rooms are at bottom of the hill. Ocean view at the top. You choose!
There are newer reviews for Coco Reef Resort Bermuda

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed at Coco reef for 6 nights from 13 May. The hotel is in a great position tucked away on Elbow beach and only minutes walk to the bus stop which takes you all over the island. The staff were really friendly , helpful and professional. Every thing was made easy and relaxed. The bar and restaurant has great views and the food is good. We loved it and next time we need a totally relaxing break, I know where I am going!

Room Tip: We were upgrade to a beach view upstairs room and I would pay the extra and stay there again
1  Thank FranceJen
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We went to Bermuda for a long weekend and didn't want to pay $600 for a room so we picked Coco Reef and we were very glad we did. The beach was beautiful and clean and not crowded at all times. Five minutes walk down the street was the bus stop and a supermarket. The ride to town was around 15 minutes and costed $3 but we got tokens from the hotel and costed $2.50. Taxi to town was about $15 with tips.
The decor of the hotel and rooms maybe dated but it's clean and well maintained.
We complained a couple staying on the second level being loud and requested for a room charge. The management upgraded us to an ocean front room on the second level. View was spectacular.
Lunch in the hotel was great but dinner was ok. Meals in Bermuda were expensive everywhere. There's a fridge in the room but it's not stocked but it's easy enough to get drinks from the supermarket.
There were 3 restaurants to choose from only one minute walk on the beach. Mickey's, Seabreeze and Lido. We tried Mickey's & Lido and they were both good.
Bermuda is a beautiful country, people are friendly and everywhere is clean.
We would go back anytime.

Room Tip: Ocean front room and second level. If you stay in lower level, you may have to close the drapes be...
1  Thank Merryberry3
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I have stayed at this particular hotel twice. It was clean, the food was very good at the hotel and the grounds were spotless. On arrival the first thing you notice is the beautiful tropical plants and bushes on the property. There's a nice marble lobby entrance and the view is to die for!!! Now..... it's not a 1,000 dollar a night hotel so don't expect that, I paid $250.00 a night and the location on the beach was the best on the island in my opinion! It is at the end of the traveled beach so foot traffic is light and it adds to the privacy. My unit was to the far left of the property looking to the ocean and the first unit closest to the beach right near the stairs. Palm trees in the front lawn area nice green grass and the beautiful ocean breaking on the reef and fine sand.
I have been there 4 times and I'm going back in October but taking a cruise out of Bean town on the Norwegian Dawn. It is literally minutes from the airport. To fly there delta has 1 flight into Bermuda at 8AM and 1 flight out at 11 AM daily. $414.00 round trip generally. Oh 1 other thing if you are returning tell them at the front desk you will receive a discount and possible a fee night depending on how many nights your staying.
Now if you are going with a group the max per room there is 3 but you can get adjoining rooms,
location location location

Room Tip: Any room there is good, you're not there for the room the beach is close and perfect!!!!!!! Now...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank jacksparrow s
Reviewed 23 May 2014

A few months ago, my wife and I got an invitation to Bermuda. An old friend was getting married next door at the Elbow Beach Resort. "I talked them down from $750 to $450 a night," he said. Well, I'm kind of a cheapskate so I figured I would check Tripadvisor for nearby hotels, and I discovered Coco Reef. It had gotten better reviews overall (#3 in Paget Parish as opposed to Elbow at #5) and cost about $200 less per night. Google Earth indicated that they were literally a stone's throw away from each other. We arrived in Bermuda for a five-night stay at the Coco Reef in early May. The cab from BDA took about 45 minutes and cost $34. After an exhilarating ride (left-side driving with twisting, narrow roads cut through the island), we arrived at Coco Reef. The lobby was nothing short of awesome. Italianate by design but tropical in flavor, the cornices and marble contrasted elegantly against the tall mirrors and coral pigmentation. The front desk politely greeted, checked us in, and ushered us to a golf cart which would drive us down to our room. As soon as we turned the corner, our eyes beheld one of the most stunning views I've ever witnessed at a hotel property. Water so blue you can hardly imagine. Pristinely landscaped grass, coconut palms and flowering shrubs leading down to a multiple-level, tiny beach shaped like an exclusive cove. Around a small rock outcropping, the beach then opened up to the grand Elbow Beach. We gasped, and the gentleman driving us to our room laughed and said, "Everyone reacts that way when they first see it." Our room (#216) was perfectly positioned above the beach, so close I swear I could feel a faint mist of seawater (turns out that it was the humidity, for which Bermuda is famous). As soon as we were alone, we found ourselves laughing, dumbfounded by how beautiful everything was there. The room was indeed trapped in the 1980's with its floral furnishings, but everything was perfectly clean. Outside on the balcony there were two loungers and a small breakfast table and chairs. We grabbed lunch at the Coco Lounge. It was expensive, the portions were small (both traits typical of Bermudian cuisine, we later discovered), and the food was mediocre. But the view, overlooking a small but pretty pool area and the azure oceanscape behind it, was spellbinding. We walked to the market (about a 7 minute stroll through Bermuda College campus to South Rd, take a right, and you’re there) and purchased groceries like cheese, crackers, deli meats, etc. There is only a small fridge in the room so nothing to cook. Elbow Beach was gorgeous. I have been to several islands in the Caribbean and Pacific and dozens of nice beaches, but I have never been to one this spectacular! The sand is powdery, white with a pale pink hue. There are no shells, seaweed, debris nor trash anywhere to be found. Pristine in every respect. They even churn up the sand at night after it rains so it will dry fast the next day. If you like to snorkel, there are some decent reefs right in front of the hotel just a few yards out- small, donut-shaped coral masses inhabited by several species of colorful fish. The main reef is a much farther swim, so you will probably need to take something inflatable or a boogie board unless you are an excellent swimmer. There is even a shipwreck (to the left of the white buoy in front of the neighboring resort) but it is pretty far out. Water temperature was slightly chilly in early May but not too bad (72 degrees). Two major complaints about Bermuda- everything is super expensive and you have to take a bus or cab to get anywhere on the island. Mickey’s next door is ridiculously expensive ($18 chicken sandwich and $15 cocktails) and the food sucks. Important tip: drinks are about $8-10 on average at the Coco Lounge, so get your drinks there! Cabs will take you anywhere but so will buses, and buses come by the nearby stop on South Rd every ½ hour heading in either direction for just $4 per person. Too bad I learned about this on our last day there after wasting about $150 on cabs. Crystal Caves were great- go there if it rains. Royal Navy Dockyards was super touristy (cruise ships dock there) but the museum is interesting and the views are spectacular atop the old battlements. Take a bus there and then a ferry over to Hamilton, explore, and then a cab back to the hotel for $12. Dinner at the Lido next door was excellent- seared foie gras and porcini-encrusted sea bass were highlights- but set us back about $220 with wine. The rehearsal dinner at the Fourways Inn was even more impressive- wonderful atmosphere (built in 1727, with beamed ceilings and old chandeliers) and the most delicious escargot and lamb shank I've ever tasted. Another great restaurant was Red's in Hamilton, but Fourways Inn (5 minute drive from CR) was the best by far. The wedding on the beach went without a hitch, although I still scratch my head pondering why someone would spend twice as much to stay at the hotel next door, where rooms are practically a shuttle ride from the beach. Our room was less than 200 feet from the sand. On our last night, the electrical outlet shorted and our TV and fridge went out. The front desk quickly responded. They were also very helpful explaining the buses and selling us tokens. I bought a snorkel at the gift shop ($30) which broke out of the box but they replaced it. Restaurant staff were nice and service was great overall, but if you want a reasonably-priced breakfast and lunch, walk over to South Rd, take a left, and there's a pretty good diner (forgot the name) near Elbow Resort. Again, Coco Reef was not the best cuisine-wise: a small crabcake for $20 with a simply dressed green salad left much to be desired, as did the underwhelming breakfast buffet (unless you like stale mini-croissants at 9:30am). Besides that, I have no complaints at all about the hotel. It was quiet, impeccably maintained, and focused on making guests feel at home. The fine sand was a bit of an annoyance on the tile floor in the room- it's almost impossible to shower it all off... Also, the famous Bermudian humidity, which wasn't a problem at 70 degrees air temperature, does make the room a tad moist, so you may want to close your windows at night. But that view... that view was unbelievable. I mean, waking up in the morning and looking outside was like living in a dream. For that reason alone, I must recommend the Coco Reef to anyone looking for a relaxing, romantic spot to stay. We can’t wait to return.

Room Tip: Choose the 100 or 200 building and then decide if you want to walk right out to the beach or have a...
8  Thank BMcCormick
Reviewed 22 May 2014

I am very late writing this review, but am sending it anyway. We stayed at this resort in November 2011 and always wanted to vacation in Bermuda because of the many things we heard about it. I found the resort after doing some internet seached for vacation packages. I read some good reviews and some reviews that were just ok. I saw the resort website for pictures and it appeared to be in a nice area which was also close to the beach ( a must). I decided to take a chance and book the reservation for this resort. We arrived at night (due to the late flight) and the hotel front desk staff were friendly. I requested a room, on the top floor. which was quiet and all the rooms face the ocean, which is good. We did receive a quiet roo, on the top floor. However, the staff failed to tell us that the hotel room was located in one of their buildings that was at the bottom of a hill and we had to walk up and down a somewhat hilly area before getting to our room. The hotel has a small vehicle (similiar to golf course vehicles) which front desk staff can transport guests to. So, when I called the next day to express my dissatisfaction with the long up and down walk to the room, I was informed of this. The front desk staff should have offered this to us when we checked in. Thereafter, I requested this service. Another thing is they had limited microwave oven available for rooms. THe room did come with a small refridgerator but you had to request a microwave and they were only available on a first come-first serve basis. I was not told this up front, either. Lucky for us, a group of several guests were checking out the day after we arrived, and those guests had all of the microwaves. Thus, we were able to get one of theirs immediately after they departed. The front desk staff brought the microwave to our room as set it down. When we wanted to order food for delivery, the front desk was gracious and called the order in, from their phone (for free), because otherwise, you have to pay for local calls from your room and cell phone usage can be costly if your plan does not cover Bermuda. The hotel also has information on things to do/attractions and Bermuda commuter bus passes you can purchase. The room was a decent size and the furniture was decent (the decor was a little older but everything was clean). The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was nice size. The flat screen TV was nice and there were several cable channels offered. The housekeeping staff were friendly and the room & bathroom was very clean. Whatever cleaner they used was really good, too (the room had that clean-room smell as soon as we walked in each day). The resort also offered plush, oversized beach towels to use for the patio furniture, for drying off after swimming, etc. They also had patio furniture close to the beachfront, as well, for guests to use. The view, of the ocean, was great and the patio had good furniture to relax on. The sand and beautiful turquoise waters In the Carribean were great and the weather was perfect. Was able to sit on the patio and do my share of reading while relaxing. You can keep the patio door open for a wonderful breeze, from the ocean, in the room. Each room also has a thermostat if you need to cool or warm the temperature of the room. We really enjoyed the Bermuda natives (they are very friendly and dignified people who believe in good manners, etc., which was a plus). There is only a short walk from the resort to the commuter bus stop and you walk by Bermuda college (a small size college) on route there. It was very easy to get around Bermuda on the commuter bus and the bus drivers were accommodating in announcing stops you requested. These are actual city-type of buses which was great (and not the small vans other areas, like Freeport, Bahamas called buses, which I did not care for when I vacationed in Freeport). We also got to see many areas, of Bermuda, while traveling on the bus. Since the Coco Reef Resort is located in the Paget area, of Bermuda, it's much more tranquil than Hamilton which is Bermuda's downtown area. We visited the Tourist Office, in Hamilton, and they provided us with free maps, info on attractions, directions/locations, etc. We enjoyed visiting Hamilton and the tourist sites plus they have all the conveniences right there (drug store, post office, small size mall, several restaurants, movie theaters, etc.). We saw the Gombay dancers (really entertaining free show) in Hamilton. There was a small market type of store walking distance, from the resort, which also had food items we bought to the room. The resort has it's own restaurant but we opted not to eat there because it was quite pricey. However, the ambiance, view of the ocean, etc. were very good. The airport cab transported us to and from the resort. The trip was longer than I expected so allow plenty of time. The hotel staff will call the cab service, a day ahead of time, for your departure. The cost, back then, was around $25.00 each way ($50.00 round trip). The cab drivers were in regular cab cars (I did not see any vans), which was fine for us. The airport was decent and there was adequate seating, for all the passengers, there when we arrived for departure. Since the resort did not have that many guest staying, when we were there, it was especially relaxing for us. All in all we had a wonderful stay, in Bermuda, and have highly recommended to family & friends that they vacation on this beautiful island, as well.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 May 2014

On a recent cruise to Bermuda we prearranged a day pass at this hotel. We took the bus from the cruise port to the hotel and were so happy with our choice. The beach was absolutely beautiful , the pool was nice. The day pass allowed us to use the facilities, they provided towels, a two course lunch with wine was also included. Lunch was wonderful. What we saw of the resort was clean, the staff was very friendly and helpful. I would definitely think about coming back for a stay at the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
#2 of 2 in Hamilton Parish
Cambridge Beaches
Cambridge Beaches
#1 of 3 in Sandys Parish

Been to Coco Reef Resort Bermuda? Share your experiences!