Dawkin's Manor
Elbow Beach, Bermuda(Paget Parish)
US$974
TripAdvisor
No availability for your dates from our partners
Fourways Inn(Paget Parish)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsgrocery storeshort walkthe bussuper marketstay there againspent a weekelbow beachgreat place to staysmall hotelcoffee potceliastoveaccommodationbeachesbermudaunitshamilton
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We were planning our trip to Bermuda during a very busy time so there were not a lot of options so we selected the Dawkin's Manor as we had a third adult in the room and liked the idea of a two bedroom hotel with full kitchen. The property is for sale and Celia does the best she can but it appears the property is sliding down in disrepair. The day we checked in, the cleaning person called out so she was trying to get it all done herself and it was hot and humid. Our apartment was clean (as Island apartments go) If you are expecting a Marriott property, this is not. The pullout couch was made up with an extra mattress so it we needed it, I believe it would have been comfortable, the other beds were very comfortable. We did find the bathrooms to have ants and not as clean as they could have been, but did get clean towels every day. I believe in an effort to save electricity, the AC was turned off when they cleaned but once we arrived back and it turned it on, it did cool off quickly. There was a decent outside living area and laundry close. Overall, if you are looking for a property with full kitchen and pool, it could work for you, if you are okay with a property that is a bit tired.

Also - walking distance to grocery store, bus stop, Coco Reef and Elbow Beach which makes the location appealing.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank amynoank
OWNER1942, Owner at Dawkin's Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear C. Miller,

Thank you for patronage and for your feedback of your recent stay at Dawkin's Manor.

I am very sorry that your stay did not live up to your expectation, however I would like to address a few of your comments that was highlighted in your review.

1) Initially when you first inquire about the accommodation for a 1 bedroom, I did have a 1 bedroom with a sofa bed, by the time you came back to us to book that unit was sold and I did inform you of that fact. I also offered you an alternative 1 bedroom unit and inform you that I would put in an extra bed for your two children which you accepted and confirmed by booking. All the associated fees were given to your prior to your booking the accommodations on April 4, 2014 via email.

2) The electrical issue with the switch was discovered prior to your arrival which I tried to have fixed before you check-in. My electrician came to address the matter and he needed to replace the switch which could not be done that evening. I did inform you on check-in and you agreed it was a minor issue and you did not have a problem with the gentleman coming back in the morning to fix it. I was never informed by yourself that you heard any clicking noise from the switch during the night or that you were concerned about your safety.

3) With regards to the pictures that was posted with your review, regarding the state of the bathroom. When I checked you into the accommodation, the bathroom was not in that state and subsequently during your 5 night/6 days stay you did not complain that you had any issues with the cleanliness of your accommodation or that you felt the bathroom was like a camp ground.

4) I would have like to have had the opportunity to address the issue that upon your return to the apartment you found your door ajar, the windows and louvre screen left open. I would have most certainly speak with the maid as this is not the standard of Dawkin's Manor. Please note Dawkin's Manor is one of the safest hotel in Bermuda, none of my guests needed to ever worry about their safety or valuables.

If you had informed me that you had any issues or was dissatisfied with your stay I would most certainly have addressed them.

I have been in the hospitality industry for 29 years and I take pleasure in going the extra mile to please my guest.

Celia Dawkins

Reviewed 27 June 2014

I've been to Bermuda many times and have stayed in a variety of places including The Reefs, The Grotto Bay Resort, Four Winds, and Grape Bay Cottages. I loved the Grape Bay Cottages, and liked all the other properties. I found Dawkin's Manor on Trip Advisor, saw the positive reviews and thought I was getting a great bargain. We did not!

The property is for sale and does not look like it has been updated in ages. My apartment was described as a one bedroom with a pull out sofa in the living room. It turns out the bedroom was the living room, so it was more of a suite, not an apartment.

The kitchen was fully equipped, but the refrigerator was puttied together as it was corroding around the edges. The bathroom was gross. Ants we continually pouring out of the floor around the base of the toilet. Now I know this is Bermuda and insects are prevalent, but if you rent to tourists you should have an exterminator come regularly.

There was also no hot water in the shower. If you got 3 minutes worth you were lucky. Nothing had been scrubbed in a long time. The shower was a step above a campground shower.

The light in our bathroom was broken and as we were checking in we had to wait. Not a huge deal, but the job wasn't completed ( they were coming back the next day) and through the night we heard a clicking noise as the electric tried to fire up the switch. We just kept hoping the place wouldn't catch on fire!

They strongly encourage the use of the safe for your valuables, and then charge $5 a day for the lock. One day the maid did not come at all. When we returned after dinner I found Celia who said she was the only one there (since the maid did not show) and could not clean the room. The next day when the maid did come, we returned home to find our door ajar (glad we rented the lock!). Some one would also come into the room, turn off the air conditioner and unlock and open the windows and open the louvres on the screen door. Again, glad we had our valuables in the safe.

You pay to rent beach towels, wifi ($5 per day, per device) and the lock for the safe. There is also a charge for housekeeping which was not quoted to me. And yes, I was charged for housekeeping even though we didn't always have a house keeper.

The positives? The store is a very close walk ( about 2 blocks), Lyndon- the owners brother and handyman is very friendly and helpful, the bed was comfortable. Bus stop is at the end of the road.

Our last day we had a late flight and could not stay at Dawkins past 11am. We paid $59 per adult for a day pass at neighboring Coco Reef resort. That fee allowed us to use their pool, beach area, changing rooms and included lunch with a glass of wine. Good deal and no additional taxes or fees.

My suggestion would be to pay more before you stay at Dawkins. I recommend Grape Bay Cottages. Unfortunately they were not available this trip for us. Bermuda is a beautiful Island and so that's what we focused on, but I don't want all the positive Trip Advisor reviews to trick someone else, like we were tricked.

Room Tip: Don't get apartment 3!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank cjm_miller

Dear C. Miller,

Celia Dawkins

Reviewed 3 June 2014

The owner is an older person whose people skills are minimal and somewhat off-putting. (The property is for sale, by the way.) The final bill was surprising due to inclusion of "processing fee" for credit card use, "gratuity" for staff, and the charge of $1.50 per local telephone call (which, assuredly had been mentioned, but only at check-in, not in the original quotation) and I was surprised by "the computer's" tally of 10 calls versus my recollection of only five calls actually placed. Buyer beware. Ask for a list of all charges before committing to a reservation.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank retireddbh
Reviewed 25 March 2014

My husband, son and I spent 4 nights at the Dawkin's Manor Hotel. We stayed in the two-bedroom apartment. The beds were comfortable and the rooms were all nicely decorated, immaculately clean and spacious. The kitchen was large and fully equipped and we enjoyed preparing various meals there. The hotel is in an excellent location, close to a beach and within very easy walking distance of a well-stocked supermarket. The bus-stop is also nearby, and we were able to explore the whole island using the efficient bus and ferry system. Mrs Dawkins was kind enough to stay up and wait for us when we were late arriving, she could not have been kinder or more welcoming. We hope very much to return to Bermuda and to stay again at the Dawkin's Manor.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank CICreswell
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Had to take a decision to fly there in 24 hours. Nice place and good value for money. Taxi service is great so no problems to be a bit outside of Hamilton. Wifi is not free (unlike advertised) and more irritating does not work in all rooms. However as emergency booking appeared to be ways better then expected. Owner is very polite and good lady. Local grocery shop have everything in need. Important note for smokers - in the shop you can only buy cartons but turning left from there up the road for about 5 min. there is a good canteen selling siggies followed by Elbow Beach resort in another 5-7 min. walk. Generously can say that accommodation and surrounding things totally suited the purpose.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business