“You get what you pay for”
Review of The Paraquet

The Paraquet
The Paraquet
Washington DC
“You get what you pay for”
Reviewed 9 July 2012

My fiance and I stayed here while on the island for a friend's wedding. This place was recommended to us by the bride's family who lives on the island, because it was one of the less expensive options for accommodation.

First of all, our beds were two twin beds pushed together to form one queen/king bed. Neither of these was particularly comfortable. The overall furniture and space is quite dated--think peeling paint, old carpet, etc. The toilet in the bathroom would not flush several times-I had to manually refill the tank with water. Also while I was showering one day trying to avoid the spray coming out of the shower head, which is very difficult considering the shower is beyond tiny (and I'm a 5'3 woman!), the shower head fell off. As others have mentioned, there was no shampoo/conditioner or hair dryer provided. There was only a window A/C unit in the bedroom.

Positives--quick walk to Elbow Beach. Close to grocery store. Bus lines run along the street that the hotel is located off of. And as mentioned, probably one of the best prices you'll see on the island.

I'm not a stuck up traveler--I have stayed in budget hotels in Central America and lived in India for a year! However, I was dissapointed overall with the condition of the hotel, etc. My advice though would be to pay a little bit more for another place if you can!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
7 Thank mariannelizabeth

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Hamilton, Bermuda
Reviewed 27 June 2012

I had family stay here for my wedding and this is what I discovered:

- There is no phone in the room so I couldn't get in touch with my family
- No internet - this is a basic amenity that should be there
- No coffee filters with an old coffee machine
- Reminded me of dorm rooms
- Small showers with slow running water. Slow running toilets
- Room needed major updating
- air conditioner made a lot of noise at night
- When I checked out it took about 1 hour as the host had to manually add the totals
- The restaurant refused a discount even when we showed the key. When I complained it was because it was my fault for not telling the host to add the name to the list of discounts.
- They were not accomodating to add a third person to one room
- They didn't organize a cab when I requested it. If the host could not be found then nothing was done, even though we had to rush to get to the airport. I had to call a cab myself.
- You had to wait for the host to be there for any service. At times I was told to "go and look for her". This includes checking out.
- The price for the stay is not worth the value. They should not be charging as much as they are.

Overall I had a stressful experience and do NOT RECOMMEND to stay here. You are better off paying a little bit more for better quality of rooms and service.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Forrest C
Portsmouth, Virginia
Reviewed 14 December 2011

My brother, my girlfriend and I stayed in the two-bedroom apartment from November 25th to December 1, 2011. We ate at the restaurant several times. We used day passes on the bus which included a ferry ride. The Paraquet was our home away from home with a nearby grocery store. From the Paraquet, we toured our island in the sun. I am looking forward to returning and staying once again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Sandra B
Mass
Reviewed 22 July 2010

Perfect place to stay if you don't want to spend a fortune.Comparable to a very nice motel room in the US. Clean, plenty of space, A/C. Centrally located - close to south shore beaches, capital of Hamilton, right on bus line. Restaurant on grounds - good for quick meals, sandwiches, breakfast. Highly recommend for first-time visitor.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank Tim13
brooklyn
Reviewed 22 May 2008

Me and my friend (mid 20's both female) stayed in a non- efficiency room: which means there is no kitchen. But we didn't need a kitchen - it had a small fridge and that was enough.
We stayed 4 nights and the owner, Jean was so friendly and helpful.

It is perfectly located in between a supermarket and Elbow beach (5 minute walk) The bus stops right outside.
There is a pool- but it belongs to the neighbors and is only open until 4pm. We preferred the beach anyway.
I don't really recommend the restaurant attached to the apartment. It was a little too greasy for my taste. but we bought cold cuts from the market and were very happy.
I overall loved staying here. Jean was great. The apartments were clean- I felt safe as a single woman and you couldn't pick a better location. I will definitely stay there again next time. Thanks Paraquet.

• Liked — the location and the affordable price
  • Disliked — no phones in room
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with friends
Prince Edward Island
Reviewed 18 March 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Paraguet for a week in an efficiency apartment. Located 10 minutes from a beach and from a supermarket, with a bus stop in front and a very reasonable restaurant on site, it was everything we needed, especially clean and quiet. The hostess, Jean, was very helpful and we will stay there again given the opportunity to visit Bermuda.

• Liked — Location, pricing, cleanliness, quiet
  • Disliked — No internet connection; no bus passes for sale
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
syracuse, NY
Reviewed 3 November 2006

I stayed two nights in October. Here's what I would have liked to know beforehand:
-no telephone in room!
-no hairdyer
-no shampoo
-takes only Mastercard/Visa, no AMEX
-no inside lock on room door
-no front desk
-no Internet service

However, given all that, I will stay here again. Now that I know, I would pack differently and bring a friend. In my opinion, this is not a good place for a woman to stay by herself.

So, what would bring me back? These things:
-it's a rare true bargain in Bermuda
-close to the best beach on island (so I'm told)
-food store within walking distance
-close to bus stop

• Liked — Clean and cheap.
  • Disliked — No phone, no Internet
  • Tips/Secrets — Read my review and pack accordingly.
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8 Thank omenniatpac
#5 of 6 in Paget Parish
Coco Reef Resort Bermuda
Coco Reef Resort Bermuda
#3 of 6 in Paget Parish

Been to The Paraquet? Share your experiences!