4,619 results
All reviews gold floor ocean club jasmine lounge indoor pool waterlot inn golf course private beach free ferry to hamilton president's club horseshoe bay walk in closet trolley service gastro pub concierge desk newport room newport gastropub hotel shuttle
Reviewed 21 November 2013

We really enjoyed our stay. Staff was great and really helpful. While the location is a little far west from the nightlife in Hamilton, cabs are readily available. Beds are extremely comfortable. Private beach was well maintained and spa is really nice.

Room tip: Booking the club level is definitely worth it.
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Carlita L, Marketing & Communications Manager at Fairmont Southampton, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2013

Thanks for your review, I am glad you enjoyed the stay and found the accessibility of Hamilton's nightlife to be easy. We hope you'll return for another visit soon!

Reviewed 19 November 2013

We really enjoyed our stay over the weekend. the beach and resort were clean and well maintained, staff really pleasant and helpful. The doormen honestly were the nicest and most fun staff members we met! We got an upgrade to add to our celebration to a lovely room on the 4th floor. Our housekeeping staff, wait staff bringing room serve were all so very nice and fun.
Trolly to Waterlot and beach were fast and easy. We also purchased bus pass at the front desk, and the local buses were simple and convenient. We tried to walk to Gibbs Lighthouse upon being told it was close but wound up at golf resort where were were offered a ride to property line go get us there quickly. Again, staff was so very nice.

My only issue was being off season, the Cabana by the beach had limited food to sandwiches. I even checked with concierge to be sure they had food available before we headed there on Saturday. They didn't share however that they were pre-made and really really terrible. Seemed to have sat for quite a length of time and were totally inedible. The bread was stale, falling apart as we bit into it. The bar had limited stock to make requested drinks but what we had was fine.

We definitely come back and recommend this resort.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Carlita L, Marketing & Communications Manager at Fairmont Southampton, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

Thank you for writing about your weekend visit, I am glad you enjoyed your stay. The doormen are great hotel ambassadors, I am glad you enjoyed their company! It sounds like you had a fun visit with lots of exploring. I am sorry that you weren't fully informed about the Cabanda's limited menu and apologise for the inconvenience. Thank you again for posting, and I hope you return to visit soon!

Reviewed 17 November 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Fairmont for our honeymoon. We had been to Bermuda before, but stayed in a cottage time share - this definitely beat the time share, hands down! As soon as we got out of the taxi, Nick happily greeted us and helped us find our way. We checked in on the Gold floor (which is a nice added perk if you want the extra food and service) and everyone up there was so helpful and friendly. The room was clean, and the housekeeping was on top of changing the towels and everything else when we left each time. The Gold floor had its perks, and I think it definitely made our stay...hot breakfast every morning, great coffee and tea, canipes before dinner, and sweets in the evening. - the chef there was amazing! Food elsewhere on the island is mediocre at best - we definitely got some of our best food on our trip from the hotel lobby! The view is magnificent - it did not hurt we were on the 6th floor, but I'm sure the view is stunning no matter where you are, how could it not be on the beautiful island? The pool was relaxing, and the grounds were kept beautifully. The restaurants are just OK - I don't think Bermuda has the best food, but their service was good and friendly, especially at the bar in Jasmine. Overall we had a fantastic honeymoon and are glad we chose the Fairmont Southampton for our "home-base" on the island. I would definitely recommend the hotel if you are looking for class, cleanliness, friendliness, and a comfortable feel. Hopefully we can return in the near future!

Room tip: You can choose a harbor view or ocean view - we had an ocean view and it was stunning from the top floor, especially at sunrise. If you want more to look at, choose a harbor view, so you can see the boats and the islands.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for sharing about your honeymoon at The Fairmont Southampton, we loved hearing about your experience. Nick on the Front Door really is fantastic, and the Gold Floor really does make a great difference in the quality of your visit. I am so glad you enjoyed your room and view, but am sorry to hear you did not enjoy all of the dining. I am glad that we made your honeymoon so memorable and I hope that in the future you'll visit us again soon!

Reviewed 15 November 2013

I recently stayed at the Fairmont Southampton and had a wonderful time! The room was decorated nicely.... I stayed on the 6th floor with access to the Gold Club and I overlooked the ocean. Every staff person I ran in to was so nice and helpful! I ate at three of the on-property restaurants and all were excellent! Overall the hotel is beautiful, with old world charm, the room was very clean and the bed was comfortable and they have a wonderful private beach. I look forward to going back to Bermuda and staying at this hotel!

Date of stay: October 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank Wendy Y
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Bermuda is my new favorite island nation. I've visited dozens of Caribbean islands, but Bermuda, located 700 miles east of North Carolina, has it all without the hassles and concerns for safety.
The Fairmont Southampton Hotel is its jewel property although it's older sister, the Fairmont Hamilton Princess, is very charming.
The Fairmont Southampton is not only outstanding for tourists looking for a great escape to someplace that offers beautiful private (and public) beaches, unique shopping, challenging golf courses and first-class dining.
The Fairmont Southampton is also an outstanding destination for meetings and conferences with its plentiful meeting space, golf course and first-class service. I highly recommend it.

A few helpful hints if you visit Bermuda...
1. You need a passport. But, it's so easy to clear Customs and Immigration... very friendly.
2. Plan to stay at least four nights. Spend two nights at the Fairmont Princess Hamilton, located on the main drag of Hamilton, the capital city. It's about a half mile from the center of town.... an easy walk to the shops, restaurants and bars.
2. The Fairmont Hamilton Princess (named after Queen Victoria's "wild child" daughter, who visited there with friends in the 1880s and thus gave Bermuda it's fun tourist reputation) has the most spectacular Gold Floor lounge I've ever seen at a Fairmont Hotel. It's worth every penny to upgrade to the Gold Floor just to use this ballroom-size lounge. Enjoy a full breakfast, high tea, cocktails, and desserts in the lounge. The new owners are putting millions into the Hamilton Princess, so it will have a fresh, new look after November 2014. By the way, if you're a Gold Floor guest at one of the two Fairmont Hotels in Bermuda, you can also use your Gold Floor privileges to access their sister property. This is really nice for day trippers who hop over to Southampton from Hamilton or vice versa.
2. Take the Fairmont's private ferry, located at the back of the hotel, across the sound to the Fairmont Southampton Hotel. It's free for guests. It's a very smooth ride (just in case you're worried about getting seasick -- no problems -- my wife did just fine). Because the ferry only makes the round-trip 3x a day, we opted to return to Hamilton by taxi. It's about $20. They love the American dollar and the exchange rate is 1:1, so don't worry about getting Bermuda currency.
3. When you arrive at the end of your 30-minute ferry ride from Hamilton to Southampton, you'll get off at the Waterlot Restaurant, which is one of the best restaurants on the island. Be sure to dine there for your special night out. It's expensive, but memorable, with the best staff and service I've ever experienced. The trolley bus to the Fairmont Southampton operates just down the street from the Waterlot restaurant. It runs every 15 minutes or so, and it's free. Don't try to walk unless you're a mountain climber! It's a one mile uphill hike to the hotel. Wait for the trolley. It's very reliable and free!
3. If you're just doing a day trip to the beach, you can take the same trolley down to the Fairmont's private beach, the Ocean Club. It has everything you need -- umbrellas, towels, a bar and restaurant (with very good food) and restrooms. Also, next door to the Fairmont's private beach is Horseshoe Beach, a separate, public beach that is absolutely beautiful. This is where you should take your photos. There's a small snorkeling ocean pool located at Horseshoe Beach, so bring your snorkeling gear. It's cool! The water temperature in late October was very pleasant.
4. Again, be sure to make dinner reservations at the Waterlot Restaurant. It's a short trolley ride from the Southampton hotel and well worth it! It will be one of the best steak or sea food dinners you've ever eaten! The building was constructed in 1670. Wow!
5. Be sure to treat yourself to the Fairmont Southampton Spa, Willow Stream. We had several treatments there and it was great. Also, make time to enjoy their indoor pool, jacuzzi, and locker facilities.

The Fairmont Southampton Hotel is 30 minutes by taxi from the airport. There are no rental cars on Bermuda, so taxis are the way to go. They are reasonably priced. You'll be pleasantly surprised because the taxi drivers own their vehicles (and pay a lot of money for their medallion) so they take great pride in their cars and they know everything about the island. They are great tour guides and very honest people. Given it's small population of 65,000 people, everyone knows everybody in Bermuda!

Also, you won't see any poverty in Bermuda. At least we didn't, and we covered the island from St. George's to Dockyard, where the cruise ships arrive. Bermuda does it right.

Finally, don't expect to see the typical American "Main Street" in Bermuda. It doesn't exist. There are no Starbucks, McDonald's or Wal-Marts in Bermuda. How nice! Every shop is one-of-a-kind and the prices are the same in the shops and the hotels, so you won't have to worry about paying a premium in the Fairmont Hotel stores. Also, the island goes quiet on Sundays, so plan to do your shopping any other day of the week.

Room tip: All rooms at the Fairmont Southampton enjoy great views. Three choices: Ocean, golf course or the Sound. The Fairmont Hamilton Princess is older with city views and Ocean views. Be sure to request your preference when you book your reservation.
Date of stay: October 2013
4  Thank Tom H

Thank you, Tom, for posting such a thorough review of both Fairmont hotels and also of Bermuda. You've said it all better than we could try to put into words, so thank you so much for sharing these tips for other travelers to look through. It is always so pleasing to hear when people fall in love with our little island in the sun, Bermuda. We can't wait to have you back with us in Bermuda, thank you again for all your notes.