“Update”

Fairmont Southampton
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Wanted to post this thank you note after I had written an open letter but trip advisory wouldn't let me post it before a three month period.

I had written a long letter to the manager of the Fairmont Southampton complaining about how my room location over the air conditioning plant and the noise from the air conditioning units had spoiled my vacation. I would like to share the response of the hotel management as well .
That very day I received a letter from Mr. Russell Griffith the Fairmont Gold Manager and for our last night we were given the choice to move to one of their beautiful penthouse suites and also a complimentary spa access pass for the whole family.
This came as a very nice surprise, My objective in written the letter to the management was to just let them know that I had not enjoyed my vacation at all, the incessant noise produced by the AC plant and my sensitivity to excessive sound had made it an agonizing week.
This gesture by the fairmont staff and manager, at least to me, meant that they genuinely care about their guests and are considerate enough to do what they can to make things better for them.
I know that the bulk of my vacation wasn't as I had planned but I am thankful to Fairmont for trying to ameliorate the situation as much as they could.
So Thank you to all the staff at the Fairmont Southampton for being not only very professional but also good/caring human beings as well.
In the end at the expense of sounding ungrateful I must say that even in the penthouse you could hear a buzz coming from something down below, which kept me wondering how all the dignitaries who had stayed the night in that beautifully set suite enjoyed the sounds of silence.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank mothermaryUsa
Carlita L, Marketing & Communications Manager at Fairmont Southampton, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post an update to your previous review, I am glad that our team was able to make you and your family more comfortable and feel at ease during part of your stay. The comfort of our guests is our main priority, and we take criticisms and comments like the ones you previously posted very seriously.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Regards,

Reviewed 1 May 2014

I stayed at the Fairmont Southampton with my wife and two boys of 6 and 4, we had a truly fantastic time. Bermuda is a beautiful island and the residents are extremely friendly. The taxi from the airport to the hotel was more like a guided tour of the island with a driver keen to show us points of interest. They journey took approximately 30 minutes.

The staff at the hotel were friendly and welcoming, the doormen standing out ensuring every guest was greeted and paying particular attention to the kids.

The hotel itself was clean and well presented, our Fairmont room comfortable with the amenities you would expect from this standard of hotel.

The food was very good and as expected expensive (we had been warned). Kids under 5 eat free, which is helpful although the children’s menu is very limited, it would be nice if there were some healthier options available.

The shuttle buses to the beach and dock were clean and regular, again with very friendly staff. There is a supermarket approximately 10 minutes walk from the dock to stock up on any supplies you may need. The private beach was lovely with easy access to Horseshoe Beach. The hotel pool was excellent.

The free hotel ferry to Hamilton must be taken and it’s great entertainment as well as an efficient mode of transport. An improvement would be to increase the frequency, if you miss the lunchtime ride back you need to wait until 18:30 which is a bit late for jet-lagged boys with tired little legs. We found ourselves rushing to get things done so that we didn’t miss the boat. Public transport is available in the form of the big pink buses (if you’re brave enough!)

There’s loads to see and do on the island and we had a fantastic time. It’s a big world and there’s a lot more of it to visit, but we will definitely return to Bermuda. Actually I’d like to emigrate right now. When we return we will certainly consider staying at the Fairmont Southampton again. We hadn’t stayed at a Fairmont hotel before and will certainly be seeking them out on our other travels.

2  Thank Jet-lagged_Jogger

Thank you for taking the time to share such an extensive review of your recent visit. I am thrilled to hear you and your family had a fatnastic vacation and enjoyed the beauty of Bermuda. I am particularly pleased that you found the staff to be friendly and your room to be comfortable. I will forward your suggestion about the kids menus to our culinary team, thank you for the feedback.

It is great that you found getting around easy and convenient, and that you enjoyed your first Fairmont experience. We hope to welcome you back to The Fairmont Southampton again soon.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 29 April 2014

our stay at the Fairmont Hamilton this Easter was wonderful. The staff went above and beyond to make sure that we had everything that we wanted. One day we were even in town at the Fairmont Princess and we were welcomed onto their Gold Floor also and the manager on duty went out of his way to make sure our visit was perfect

Reviewed 29 April 2014

The Fairmont does not disappoint overall. Lovely property with many amenities. There are some areas that need updating such as the pool area and the beach club amenities. Restaurants are very good on property.

1  Thank Kristen H

Thank you Kristen H, for leaving us a note about your recent stay. We are currently renovating guest rooms to give an updated appearance, and I will share your feedback about the other areas with our management team.

Thanks for the review.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

We recently stayed at the Fairmont Southampton with 2 children.

Overall, the hotel is very large with a comfortable feel, affording spectacular views from every point. It is great for families but still maintains its elegance and doesn't feel like a disney theme park. Its a mix of vacationers (young, old, and families). Which is why we liked it. We stayed at the end of april, monday- friday. There was a good amount of people, but I can see how it can get very crowded in the high season.

We had 2 adjoining garden view rooms. Very nice clean rooms. Beautiful, simple decor. The hotel provided us with a crib and sheets. Great views. With a baby, the adjoining rooms were PERFECT, and are a major contribution to why I'm giving this hotel a 4 instead of 3 stars. They are also why we'd consider staying there again next year.

The pool, with its 2 kids pools is nice but a little dated-looking. Beautiful views. The kids' pool has a slide and my 3 year old loved it. There is also an indoor pool that opens at night and we liked that as well. Again the decor is a bit dated. Especially the furniture. If they could choose anything to renovate, this would be it. It would be nice to see both pools get a more modern sleeker face-lift. As a family, I thought it was fine, but I wouldn't stay here without kids.

The food is pricey but that's expected. Overall the quality was fine.

Golf-course looks spectacular. We didn't use it.

They charge for wi-fi. Again, a dated policy. And one that just adds an element of frustration to the experience. Is that really worth it for the hotel?

The beach is accessible by a 3-minute shuttle ride. The shuttles are there very frequently. We rarely waited even 10 minutes. Most often it was already there or came within a minute. There are two beaches. The hotel beach is private. They provide ample beach buckets and shovels for kids. Again, a HUGE plus for us as a family. It is a gorgeous setting BUT is completely marred by the awful sea of cots that fill 90% of the area. Again, we were not there in high season and maybe 10% were actually being used during our stay. If they require that many cots they should really invest in some nicer-looking ones as I found them completely distracting from the gorgeous surroundings and I couldn't even see the beach. These were dated, with an awful green color and had strange overhangs that provided zero sun coverage. You have to ask specially for umbrellas.

For that reason we rarely went there, and spent most of our time at the beach next door: horseshoe bay beach. This is one of the most beautiful beaches I've ever been too. At end of april it was nearly empty. The hotel did allow us to take towels from the private beach and bring them next door. Thank you for that! You can also rent umbrellas and chairs. And they do have facilities.

All over the hotel and beach, the staff was friendly and very helpful.

So I have mixed feelings about the place. If they updated the pools and re-thought the beach presentation and furniture, this place would get 5 stars for me as an ideal family vacation destination. I'd give it a 5 for outstanding, comfortable rooms, 5 for the surroundings that just look like heaven, 4-5 for service, and a 2-3 for overall beach/hotel appearance. Our stay at the end of april was blissful. We will definitely return to Bermuda. We may just look at another hotel.

2  Thank nytraveller9

Thank you for taking the time to leave us such a detailed review of your recent family vacation.

I am glad you found the hotel to be comfortable and family-friendly, and that you enjoyed your room. As a note, WiFi is free to Fairmont President's Club members, which is free to join.

I have forwarded your thoughts on the beach and pools to our hotel management team, and I sincerely want to thank you for providing this candid feedback.

It's great that you enjoyed your Bermuda vacation, and hopefully you'll choose to stay with us again on your next visit to the island. Thank you again for the review.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 29 April 2014

We all had a wonderful stay, but would say that meals are very good but not great. And, one is paying for great. In addition, we felt a little penny pinched at meals and elsewhere, with add'l charges.

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Thank you, Justin S., for leaving us a note of feedback. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay, but apologize if you were not fully satisfied with the dining options. I have relayed your feedback to our culinary team, and hopefully on your next visit you will find the food to be great.

Thanks again for the review,

Reviewed 28 April 2014

My husband and I just returned from an impromptu trip to Bermuda. It was a last minute decision and a wonderful last minute birthday treat. We were extremely fortunate to find room at the beautiful Fairmont Southampton. We stayed on the 6th floor which includes a private concierge service, breakfast, assorted drinks and snacks all day long as well as an honor bar. The staff was extremely attentive and helpful. Ashley even went out of her way to surprise me with a delicious birthday cake in our room. The shuttles to the beach and the dock run every 15 minutes, the restaurants on the property were varied as well as serving great food. We especially enjoyed our meals at Bacci on the golf course and the Ocean Club on the beach overlooking the water. There were plenty of activities to keep us busy from dawn to evening and the public bus routes were easy to figure out and a pleasure to ride into town, to the famous dockyards, the local botanical gardens and the aquarium. We have traveled to many Caribbean islands but none are as pristine, lush and colorful as Bermuda.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nuttree125
Carlita L, Marketing & Communications Manager at Fairmont Southampton, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave such kind words about your recent Bermuda vacation. Happy belated birthday, I am glad that you enjoyed celebrating with us! It sounds like you did quite a bit of adventuring around the island, and love that you found Bermuda to be the most beautiful of all the islands you've explored!

We hope to have you back with us at The Fairmont Southampton & on Fairmont Gold again soon. Thank you again for your review.

Best,

Cambridge Beaches
Cambridge Beaches
#1 of 3 in Sandys Parish
Hamilton Princess & Beach Club, a Fairmont Managed Hotel

Been to Fairmont Southampton? Share your experiences!