Hard to believe the Fairmont is the "budget" option but that tells you how expensive Bermuda is! This hotel is beautifully situated above a gorgeous private beach, although it is quite crowded with loungers (see pic). From the private beach, it is also a quick walk to Horseshoe Beach, a very popular, very crowded, beach.
Things I was most concerned about:
shuttle to the beach: I thought this would be a huge pain and really wanted to stay on the beach but couldn't find the right combination of availability / price / quality. Actually the shuttle was fast and easy and I didn't find it annoying at all. Sure it would be nicer to be on the beach, but this worked.
cost of food: we mostly ate other places, but lunch for 5 people, including appetizers and drinks, was about $140? Food is definitely expensive in all of Bermuda, even a very local restaurant we went to, the large side of coleslaw was $5 and was maybe 8 ounces. We also had dinner at Bacci one night, two of us really liked our dishes but the other two weren't so impressed. From what I saw, can't really recommend it for the food. They were pretty decent at accommodating vegetarians though.
location: location was great - very happy I chose to stay here rather than the other option I was considering out by the airport. We were a pretty quick ~$25 taxi to Hamilton (or free water taxi from the Fairmont, but it ends at 6 pm so we never made it), a quick taxi to Robinsons Marina where we rented a boat (super fun and highly recommended) and on a beautiful private beach with a fun popular beach next door.
the room was fine, we had a room with 2 double beds for 4 women, and the bathroom was huge and even had 2 showers (one accessible shower, and one bathtub/shower combo) which would have been really convenient if the bathtub weren't super stopped up making showers impossible unless you wanted to stand in several inches of standing water (we didn't). The toilet also was a bit persnickety, you needed to jiggle the handle or something to make it stop running.
We had our own little balcony and a beautiful view of the water. (see pic) The staff were of course friendly and perfect, as Bermudians everywhere were super nice and helpful. The Ocean Club (might have the name wrong) has a fun party going on Sunday nights with a DJ, wasn't very busy when we were there as they only recently started this event, but it had a lot of potential! Don't skip the Oceantini! Something else I'll note, unless people were in the hallways we never heard anything from other rooms. The blackout curtains were great for sleeping in.
All in all, this was a good economical choice (~400/night, much cheaper than other options) and I would definitely stay here again. I've also stayed at the Fairmont Hamilton (for a business trip) and preferred this one for the beach access. It was a wonderful girlfriends getaway!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Fairmont Southampton, Bermuda is a luxury resort perched on Bermuda's stunning south shore with miles of pink sand beaches. Conveniently located in the mid-Atlantic, less than a two-hour flight from most east coast gateways, this hotel is perfect for getaways year-round. Sitting on nearly 100 gorgeous acres dotted with lush bougainvillea and towering coconut palms, The Fairmont Southampton is Bermuda's largest full-service luxury beach resort boasting 593 rooms and 6 floors with amazing views of ocean and sound. Unparalleled amenities are offered throughout the property. Spend your days relaxing at the resort pool, or pull up a chaise lounge at the sprawling private oceanfront beach club with Dive Centre, 11 tennis courts, jet ski rentals, and more. Unwind in the luxurious Willow Stream Spa with indoor spa pool & fitness facility, or tee off at the Turtle Hill Golf Club, an award-winning 18-hole par-three championship golf course. The Fairmont Southampton has dining covered for even the most discerning palates with an impressive range of restaurant options. Family-friendly, the hotel offers a kids camp for day & evening. Free round-trip ferry service is available to the Fairmont Hamilton Princess, located in the island's downtown district. Guest rooms feature AC, 42" flat screen TV with multimedia panel, spacious work desk, 2 telephones with voicemail, dataport, Keurig coffeemaker, tea kettle, mini bar, large walk-in closet, iron & ironing board, personal digital safe, private bathroom, hairdryer & bathrobes, and WiFi Internet access is available (fee). The Fairmont Southampton is a AAA Four-Diamond award-winning resort. The Turtle Hill Golf Club was named one of the top 5 par-3 courses in the world by Golf Magazine. The Willow Stream Spa won the 2012 Conde Nast Readers Choice Award for best hotel spa in the Caribbean. In 2012, Conde Nast called The Fairmont Southampton one of the top hotels in the Atlantic & one of the best golf hotels in the world. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Fairmont Hotels, Ebookers, Priceline, Odigeo, Hotelopia, Hotels.com, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HRS and HotelQuickly so you can book your Fairmont Southampton reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Fairmont Southampton Hotel Southampton
- Fairmont Southampton Bermuda/Southampton Parish
- Southampton Princess Bermuda
- Southampton Fairmont