“Really beautiful less expensive option for Bermuda”

Fairmont Southampton
Bellingham, Washington
“Really beautiful less expensive option for Bermuda”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Hard to believe the Fairmont is the "budget" option but that tells you how expensive Bermuda is! This hotel is beautifully situated above a gorgeous private beach, although it is quite crowded with loungers (see pic). From the private beach, it is also a quick walk to Horseshoe Beach, a very popular, very crowded, beach.

Things I was most concerned about:
shuttle to the beach: I thought this would be a huge pain and really wanted to stay on the beach but couldn't find the right combination of availability / price / quality. Actually the shuttle was fast and easy and I didn't find it annoying at all. Sure it would be nicer to be on the beach, but this worked.

cost of food: we mostly ate other places, but lunch for 5 people, including appetizers and drinks, was about $140? Food is definitely expensive in all of Bermuda, even a very local restaurant we went to, the large side of coleslaw was $5 and was maybe 8 ounces. We also had dinner at Bacci one night, two of us really liked our dishes but the other two weren't so impressed. From what I saw, can't really recommend it for the food. They were pretty decent at accommodating vegetarians though.

location: location was great - very happy I chose to stay here rather than the other option I was considering out by the airport. We were a pretty quick ~$25 taxi to Hamilton (or free water taxi from the Fairmont, but it ends at 6 pm so we never made it), a quick taxi to Robinsons Marina where we rented a boat (super fun and highly recommended) and on a beautiful private beach with a fun popular beach next door.

the room was fine, we had a room with 2 double beds for 4 women, and the bathroom was huge and even had 2 showers (one accessible shower, and one bathtub/shower combo) which would have been really convenient if the bathtub weren't super stopped up making showers impossible unless you wanted to stand in several inches of standing water (we didn't). The toilet also was a bit persnickety, you needed to jiggle the handle or something to make it stop running.

We had our own little balcony and a beautiful view of the water. (see pic) The staff were of course friendly and perfect, as Bermudians everywhere were super nice and helpful. The Ocean Club (might have the name wrong) has a fun party going on Sunday nights with a DJ, wasn't very busy when we were there as they only recently started this event, but it had a lot of potential! Don't skip the Oceantini! Something else I'll note, unless people were in the hallways we never heard anything from other rooms. The blackout curtains were great for sleeping in.

All in all, this was a good economical choice (~400/night, much cheaper than other options) and I would definitely stay here again. I've also stayed at the Fairmont Hamilton (for a business trip) and preferred this one for the beach access. It was a wonderful girlfriends getaway!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank kailim
Carlita L, Marketing & Communications Manager at Fairmont Southampton, responded to this review, 22 September 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your visit with us. I am glad that you enjoyed the beach and found the shuttle to be convenient.

I'm sorry that you had mixed experiences with our dining outlets - we do strive to offer a variety of cuisines at competitive price points in our 9 restaurants. The Sunday nights at Ocean Club have grown quite a bit since you visited, so thanks for the early kudos! I am glad that you enjoyed your room view, and apologize that there were some issues in the bathroom.

The photos you shared are gorgeous and it sounds like you had a great girlfriends getaway! We hope to host you ladies for another escape soon!

Best,
The Fairmont Southampton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (984)
  • Polish first
Ann Arbor, Mi
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We were at the hotel because we had a wedding in the area. It has lovely public areas and grounds but the rooms are just adequate.Would have been nice for them to spend a bit more on the rooms and a bit less on areas you simply walk through. Our first room had a broken toilet and while the hotel staff were nice and got us another room it was still odd that there had not been any maintenance in advance.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Carlita L, Marketing & Communications Manager at Fairmont Southampton, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Thank you for sharing about your recent stay, I’m glad you enjoyed the golf & the public areas. We are currently undergoing rooms renovations which will address some of the issues you faced. I am glad our staff were able to find you a different room but apologize for the initial inconvenience. Hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised on your next visit!

Warm Regards,

Washington
Reviewed 2 July 2014

You can't go wrong staying here. Be prepared to pay, but the whole island is pretty expensive. Try to stay on the gold level. The staff and people of Bermuda in General are so nice. U won't ever regret going

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Carlita L, Marketing & Communications Manager at Fairmont Southampton, responded to this review, 24 September 2014
Dear James T.,

Thank you for your kind words, I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us on Fairmont Gold. Bermudians are very dedicated to hospitality, and it's wonderful that you noticed that during your visit. We're so happy to hear that you had such a great vacation and hopefully you'll be back to beautiful Bermuda again in the future.

Best,
Amesbury, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 29 June 2014

My whole family enjoyed our five day stay, the hotel was great we did the concierge level, and the people that served the food for the concierge patrons did a Fabulous job , the food at the restaurant was good and the beach beautiful .

Room Tip: Request a room not overlooking the pool, it can get a little noisy
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Mark W
Dear Mark W.,

Thank you for your warm feedback, it's wonderful that your family enjoyed your 5 day stay with us on our Fairmont Gold level. I'm glad you found the service to be great, that you enjoyed the food, and loved the private beach club. We hope to welcome your family back again in the future.

Best Regards,
Pensacola, Florida
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We were visiting Bermuda on a five day vacation. Our stay at the Fairmont Southampton is not what not what we expected from a 4 star resort.

The Downside:

O We had requested a room with a king bed. When we checked in we were told a room with a king was not available. Given the room price and the fact that the reservation was made several months in advance this simple request should have been easy to accommodate. We were given the standard “room types are guaranteed; however bed choices are not” response. We asked if other options were available and given what came to be the next standard response “we are totally booked and no other option is available”.

O Upon arrival into our room 401 we found we the room to have the order of grilled pork chops. We thought it may be residual from the last guest and since we planned to be out and about exploring the island we let it pass. The next day upon our return to our room the odor was somewhere between grilled pork chops and fish. We brought this to the attention of the front desk and spoke with a manager, Devon. She gave us the “I’m sorry we are totally booked and no other option is available response” but, “I will check and let you know if another option becomes available”. We did not get any feedback. Late that night we had the odor of baking bread wafting through our room. While this was an added inconvenience it beat the smell of grilled meat. The next morning I asked for an update at the front desk and they were indifferent to our situation. We went out for the day and upon return to our room we now had the odor of grilled pork chops with onions. I called the front desk and asked a manager to come and visit our room. A manager did visit, I welcomed him to the pork chop room and he agreed there was an odor. The manager offered to move us to another room along with a $150 credit. After several days of trying we were grateful that we finally got a response. I would have expected a four star rated resort to be more responsive to their guests.

O My wife’s company included a room credit for her to use at the various hotel venues. We were disappointed to find the jewelry shop did not accept room charges that we could apply against her credit. I would recommend that any shop in the hotel be required to accept room charges.

The Upside:

O We really liked the food and service at the Newport Gastro Pub. We had one of the best meals ever there. Our servers Monica and Megan were a delight.

O The friendliness, professionalism and response of the staff that took care of our room were exceptional.

O The shuttle service to the beach and restaurants was a great benefit.

O We really liked the resort's private beach.

For our next visit to Bermuda we will try another resort.

Room Tip: Higher in the hotel is better for the view. One of our friends had a corner room and really liked t...
2 Thank John D
Dear John D.,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us such extensive feedback. I will try to comment on some of it here. I am so glad that you enjoyed dining at The Newport, a Gastropub and I will pass the kudos along to those servers. I am also pleased to hear that you found Housekeeping to be pleasant & professional. It’s fabulous that you enjoyed the beach, and I agree the shuttles are a great way of getting around such a large property!

I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed in your room. We do our very best to accommodate bed-type requests but sometimes at full capacity we are not able to accommodate. I am glad that ultimately our front office manager was able to assist and compensate for the poor experience but I am very sorry that it took several days in a less-than-optimal room.

Most of the other shops on the property do accept room charges but due to the nature of the value of the goods at Crissons jewellery, they do not accept room charges. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Thank you again for leaving us so many feedback items, hopefully you will reconsider and stay with us again on your next trip to sunny Bermuda.

Best Regards,

Rockland, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 June 2014

My husband and I went for our Honeymoon (9 months after we were married since we couldn't take time off of work). The Fairmont was inviting and Nick at the Bell Hop made us feel welcome everytime we arrived back at the hotel. The beach was beautiful, the food was so tasty and fresh, and the amenities were fabulous. Thank you for a lifetime of memories!

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Austin, Texas
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

I was in a buddy's wedding and stayed at the Fairmont Southampton in June. Before the arrival the consigliere arranged for my travel to and from the airport for only $15. It worked perfect and the service at the hotel was great!

During my stay the shuttles to the beaches and other amenities were very convenient. It was nice not to worry about transportation especially to and from the beach. The rooms were a little dated for the cost but the views were great, the bed was cozy and the room was clean.

Recommend: become a member of the President's Club (free Wi-Fi and gym attire). My friends did this and I did not so my mistake. Drink a Dark and Stormy! Have a Wahoo burger by the pool. Take the shuttle to The Beach Club and at some point go to the public beach through the gate/walkway to Horseshoe Beach.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Cambridge Beaches
Cambridge Beaches
#1 of 3 in Sandys Parish
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,054 reviews

Been to Fairmont Southampton? Share your experiences!