“Comfortable hotel”

Fairmont Southampton
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Let me preface my review by stating the our actual room was one of the most comfortable rooms that I have ever stayed in. My down grade to 4 stars from five is the result of 2 factors. There are a lot of roosters living on the beautiful isle of Bermuda and if you are a light sleeper like me you will not appreciate these roosters waking you up at sunrise and then continueing to crow for about 1 hour. Secondly there is a resort fee tacked on your bill which you do not find out about until you check out. When asked why there is a fee we were told it was to take care of the tips during our stay. However the bellman were more than happy to take our tips and not inform us about this fee.Our room 4501 was spacious and very clean. The wrap around terrance offered a beautiful view of the lighthouse, the bay and the distant cruise ships. The air conditioning was quiet and comfortable and the bed great. I always have a problem with hotel pillows but these were not bad. Since it sounded as if there was a track meet in the room and hallway above us I recommend room 5501. We ate 3 times at the Wickets restaurant as the food was that good!

Room Tip: Room 4501 offered a greeat view.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Carlita L, Marketing & Communications Manager at Fairmont Southampton, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2014

Dear Stuart L.,

Thank you for your review, I am so pleased to hear that you found your room to be so comfortable! I am sorry that the local roosters were a nuisance during your stay - they do not actually live on-property, but I am sure they were annoying nonetheless.

I also apologize that you were not fully informed about our taxes, gratuities, and resort levy fees which are standard on top of the room rates - this is clearly marked on our various booking channels, but I am sorry you were not aware. To be clear, resort levy covers trolleys, ferry, golf club storage/cleaning, entertainment, and beach/pool services. Gratuities cover room attendants, bellmen/doormen, beach/pool attendants, function/setup crew, and Fairmont Gold privileges (for guests staying in Fairmont Gold rooms & suites). Taxes cover the hotel occupancy tax & guest tourism fee. Again I am sorry you did not know about this in advance, this certainly should have been communicated to you.

Thank you again for your review, and hopefully on your next visit we can make it a 5-star experience for you.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 18 August 2014

We just returned from a 4 night stay at the Bermuda Fairmont Southampton Hotel, and for my husband and I it was one of the loveliest relaxing 4 days we've had all year! This is a beautiful classic Fairmont style hotel. We took the advice of other reviewers and really enjoyed our stay with a few tips of our own:

1. This is an expensive vacation. Know that upfront and you won't be disappointed. This is not a budget all inclusive where the food and the service is suspect. We've been there. At the Fairmont the staff are first rate, The food we ate was very good. Be prepared to pay a 17% gratuity for excellent service, that will appear on your bill.The staff is well trained, courteous and discreet and for us everyone who served us was worthy of their gratuity. Living in Bermuda is expensive, this is not unreasonable. We pay 20% gratuity at home for good service, so we expect to pay the customary rate when travelling.

2. I checked the weather forecast and discovered we would most likely have some cloudy weather with some rain on arrival. So I called the hotel in advance of our stay and booked a massage for two. We had some time, approximately 4 hours before the 4 pm check in. We gave reception all our particulars and left our bags with the bell desk, taking only a small tote containing our swim suits. After a quick and delicious lunch of Lobster and Prime Rib Sliders at Jasmine (lobby lounge) we went to the quiet lovely Willow Spring Spa and really took advantage of it's offerings. After the very nice massage we went for a swim in their beautiful indoor pool, the sun was peering in so we also took an outdoor hot tub, then relaxed in the uber comfy robes, with a nice view of the pool and the Ocean beyond. After a steam and a shower, we were totally relaxed. We picked up our keys and the bell boy quickly followed us with our bags to our room. We were so relaxed we decided not to go to dinner but we ordered some flavourful chicken wings and a pizza for dinner. A great night in. We so appreciated this after getting up early for the flight.

3. Although the Gold rooms were highly recommended, I wasn't sure that the room had a view, so instead we had an Ocean View room and we got it on the 2nd floor in one of their newly renovated areas. My favourite thing, apart from the fabulous view of the pool and the ocean, is the walk in closet. In some hotels the safe is either down by the floor boards, or up high in a closet. Here the safe was eye level just above the nice built in drawers. Lots of hangers, an umbrella for inclement weather, great. We also appreciated the Keurig coffee maker and the nice large robes, the extremely comfortable bed and pillows, the direct reading lights, everything was a modern take on the classic grand hotel style. Taking our meals on the balcony was a special treat.

4. Wifi is important so I remembered I had a number for the President's club. I had joined awhile ago at another Fairmont, so I was happy to use that number for free wi-fi.

5. This is a very busy hotel, but it does help to do things a little differently so as to not be in the midst of crowding. We did use the Breakfast Plan offered at check in by the hotel, so that if you went to Windows for breakfast or if you had room service the cost was the same.

We took our first breakfast at Windows at a little later time, roughly 10:30 am, so we weren't in any line ups and we got a great window seat with a view of the sound As a consequence, we didn't get to the beach as early as we would have liked, but we managed to find chairs and enjoyed the day, even though it became very crowded in the afternoon- we made a note of that for the next visit to the beach.

6. The Windows experience for breakfast was nice, and I'm sure there's no problem in going to that restaurant in beach attire, but it is a grand room and I felt comfortable being dressed in street clothes. However, in order to enjoy the beach and not have to change for breakfast the rest of the time we took room service, which was very attentive and efficient.

7. Our third day we decided to hang by the pool. The pool isn't very big, but it has everything at your whim. We decided on a couple of lounge chairs but not right at poolside, since there are a lot of excited children with patient mommys and daddys there, but more in an area closer to the edge of the hotel where we caught lovely breezes off their golf course. We also stayed fairly close to the hot tub. It was a great spot to chill. If you're hungry there's a friendly waiter to serve you at your lounger, or you can go to Wickets just overlooking the pool for outdoor seating. I had an excellent turkey sandwich and truffle french fries and drinks of course :) The pool didn't feel crowded at all. There are quite a few children here so it can get a little noisy, but I love the sound of children playing so it didn't bother me.

8. On our final day we decided to skip breakfast and head out early to the beach so that we could get a lounger of our choice (we liked the ones with the built in cabana overhead so you don't have to worry about getting full sun on your head) and enjoy the beach at a quieter time.
We are so glad we did. This gorgeous beach in the morning is not to be missed. There were a handful of people there, we watched as the early SCUBA divers got their lesson and then headed out for a dive, we marvelled at the beauty of the colour of the water, from pure aqua to deep emerald, and it was just heavenly. We stayed from approximately 8:30 a.m. to noon then took a very satisfying lunch at Cabana on the beach, then went back out to our lounger and the little half chairs that you can sit in the water and daydream to approximately 3:00 when a lot of beach go-ers were in attendance. We timed it right as another quick rainfall came and went.

9. We loved the Shuttle service, we never had to wait any more than 3 minutes for a shuttle, so we never missed the feeling of not being "right on the beach" the hotel more than made up for that by providing great chairs, washroom and foot shower facilities, and beach food and beverage services. You can certainly go to the famous Horseshoe bay right next door and discover a gorgeous beach but if you want all the ammenties including beach toys and having a raked beach every morning the Fairmont's private beach was for us amazing.

10. Did I say I loved the Shuttle? This was particularly true for our evenings and dinners out. We tried Waterlot, Ocean Club and Baci. Every meal was memorable. For Waterlot the shuttle takes you down the steep hill and you only have to cross the street to get to the restaurant. Fairmont has a security guard there to ensure you get across safely, especially when it's very dark there at night.

11. Excellent restaurants : We really enjoyed all our dinner meals.

First night our meal at Waterlot in the 1629 building was very good. The service was very good. Most impressive for us, is they had a great wine we hadn't had or seen in Canada since our trip to Argentina. It was so delicious with our meal of steak and lamb. And the snicker's bar dessert... decadent and truly memorable!

We were so excited to see the beach at sunset and Ocean Club was just absolutely the most gorgeous setting. We timed a 7:30 pm reservation. We were lucky enough to sit outside and had a window seat to the rolling waves, the pink sand and the setting sun. For us, our fish meals were just incredible. I had a south sea grilled sampler of fish, and my husband had the tuna. Of the number 1 meals, we think we liked Ocean Club the best.

For our final evening we had pasta at Bacci. It was excellent, again cooked perfectly al dente, my husband had the Fettucine Al Fredo with a lobster tail, and I had the house specialty made with their own vine ripened Bermuda tomatoes. We were very impressed with this meal as well as the staff, who called for the shuttle when we were finished our meal. Fantastic.

All in all, we were very impressed with the Fairmont Southampton Bermuda. We hope to return~ .

Room Tip: We liked our room 226, it was updated, and had a lovely view to the ocean as well as the pool
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank AndieCanada
Carlita L, Marketing & Communications Manager at Fairmont Southampton, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2014

Dear AndieCanada,

Thank you for posting such a detailed review of your stay with so many tips for other TripAdvisor users. I am glad you found the staff to be high-service and that they provided high-quality value for money. Going to the spa right after checking in is a brilliant idea, and your afternoon and evening on day one sounds utterly perfect.

It's great that you loved the newly renovated rooms and the impressive walk-in closets. Your tips about Fairmont's Presidents Club for wi-fi, adjusting breakfast times, and hanging by the pool are fantastic. I'm glad you enjoyed your beach experience so thoroughly, it is pretty cool to watch the SCUBA divers get ready. It sounds like you also had some terrific dining experiences at our restaurants.

Thank you so much for leaving so many thoughtful tips and ideas about your trip, we really appreciate the feedback. We look forward to having you back to Bermuda again soon!

Best Regards,

Reviewed 17 August 2014

I was very pleased with my recent stay at the Fairmont Southampton. The facilities are well maintained and the maid service is very efficient, with service offered two times a day. There are plenty of restaurants within the hotel complex and there is a free ferry service across to the Princess in downtown Hamilton. Join the President's Club before staying here and receive complimentary Wi-Fi during your stay. The private beach here is very nice as well and is right next to Horseshoe Bay Beach.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank ChrisE205

Dear Chris E.,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay, we're pleased to hear you enjoyed the visit. It's great that you found the facilities to be well-maintained and clean. It sounds like you had a great trip exploring the private beach, restaurants, ferry, and Horseshoe Bay. We hope that you will visit sunny Bermuda again in the near future.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Nice but to expensive, no place to take a family without refinancing your home. The hotel is very nice and the workers are very nice but everything is extremely expensive which really surprised me. Also need some more activities in the hotel, pool tables etc

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts
Carlita L, Marketing & Communications Manager at Fairmont Southampton, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2014

Dear Frederick S.,

Thank you for taking the time to post on TripAdvisor. I am glad you enjoyed the hotel and the friendly, high-quality service. Bermuda imports all food items and goods, meaning they are more expensive than items in the US. This is the reality of operating from a small, remote island. We try our best to offer a variety of price points on our restaurants and also in our room options. We also publicize the costs on our website for visitors to research in advance of their trip. I am sorry to hear that you found the hotel's prices to be surprisingly expensive. Thank you for your honest feedback.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Overall, an amazing trip all thanks to the fairmont southampton. For a family of four it met all of our needs, and the gold lounge/floor was worth every penny. The service was great, we were fortunate to have Rolly, one of the workers at the lounge who was always willing to have a conversation and meet all of our needs. The gym was good, but you have to be over seventeen to be allowed in. Restaurants were great, Ocean club a little pricey, but good. The only criticism I would have is the sometimes it is a long wait to catch a shuttle down to the beach and tennis courts. The beach was nice, fun to snorkel and see some fish. Bring or buy your own snorkel gear not from the hotel or gift shop because for 25$ for four hours is a little too much. Swimming pool was good, also had an indoor pool. Overall, a great place to stay in Bermuda and I would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Gold floor definitely worth it.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank mikegol

Thank you for your warm review of your recent stay, I'm glad that your family enjoyed the Fairmont Gold experience. It's great that you enjoyed the restaurants, pool, and the beach area. Thank you for your feedback on the trolley wait-times, I am very sorry for the inconvenience. We hope to welcome your family back to Bermuda again in the future.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

This is an amazing hotel. The accommodations are beautiful. The grounds are perfectly manicured and lovely. The service is phenomenal. We are lucky enough to be in the Fairmont Presidents Club and the amenities that come with that are terrific.

We had a special check-in floor, a designated concierge, breakfast, afternoon tea, hors d'oeuvres and dessert every day. All included with our price. We also had all day access to a refreshment bar.

The pools were beautiful and clean. The shuttle service was safe, clean and reliable. The room was lovely. Super clean, big with turndown service. The restaurants were also very good.

There were always Taxis outside the hotel to take you into town, if you wanted.

All in all a great vacation.

Room Tip: Junior suites are beautiful!!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jaimee A

Dear Jaimee A.,

Thank you for sharing your review of The Fairmont Southampton. I am glad you enjoyed Fairmont Gold with the private concierge and all-day bites. It's great that you enjoyed your room, the pool, and the Bermuda experience. We love to hear from guests that enjoyed their stay, so thank you for your feedback. We hope you'll have another wonderful vacation with us again in the future.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 16 August 2014

The Fairmont is the place to stay in Bermuda. The managers understand service and make sincere efforts to manages any issues, and do so with a smile. The service is top notch, restaurants and food leaves you no need to go elsewhere. Each restaurant is worth enjoying. The connection to downtown makes shopping and sightseeing easy.
One caution is beware of "Moderate" rooms often offered as part of third party package plans. These rooms have literally NO view. Book direct with Fairmont and avoid disappointment.
Waterlot Inn Restaurant is a must for those Special Occasions!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank K F

Thank you for reviewing your anniversary experience at The Fairmont Southampton. It's wonderful that you had a great time and I'm glad you found the management to be so friendly and helpful. All of our rooms are the same size and differ by view-type, with Moderate rooms being no-view. For guests that want an economical vacation and don't plan to spend much time in their room, this is a good option. I am glad you ultimately found a room you were happy with. Thank you for sharing your experience, and we hope you'll visit with us again.

Kind Regards,

Cambridge Beaches
Cambridge Beaches
#1 of 3 in Sandys Parish
Hamilton Princess & Beach Club, a Fairmont Managed Hotel

Been to Fairmont Southampton? Share your experiences!