“Christmas at Pompano”

Pompano Beach Club
Halifax, Canada
“Christmas at Pompano”
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Eleven of us spent a wonderful family Christmas at the Pompano Beach Club. The property grounds are perfect, and kept the kids very busy (ages 3-13). The service was fantastic and the food amazing. Even though it's winter, the kids spent as much time in the water as out. Even the ocean was very swimmable, and we did some great snorkeling.
Many thanks to all the staff who made our stay so enjoyable. We are already planning for our next visit.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Mike C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed 31 December 2013

The Service is what sets this place apart. With good service, everything else generally falls into place; any issues get rectified. The resort property is beautiful with gorgeous views, especially driving up to it, with the contrast of the bright white roofs against the vibrant Bermuda blue of the sky and waters. I wish I had taken more pictures.

THE GOOD:

The best thing about this property is that the owners themselves are very involved. When I was there, one of the owners in particular was almost always there (Tom). When we had a slight problem with our room, he was there. My husband and I wanted to go to the grocery store to pick up a few things, and Tom himself drove us.

They even turned up the temperature in the hot tub next to the pool when I found it too cold (we were there in November). The poolside bar had friendly service. Our room was spacious, bright, felt private (even with the enormous windows looking out over the ocean), and had wonderful views. Imagine waking up in bed and looking down your feet out into the ocean. Heavenly. We could look down into the water and see fish swimming in the clear, shallow waters from our room and from the restaurant terrace.

The front desk staff was very welcoming and pleasant. The common areas are welcoming and cozy.

One of the benefits of staying here is that it's not far from scuba diving. The waters are so shallow and clear that even novice divers can explore numerous wrecks. And if you're into golfing, this would be a great place to stay for that. They have lots of activities info on their website; no need for me to go into it here.

BEACH
They do their best to maintain the beach. When we were there, crazy amounts of seaweed kept washing up, and we watched out our window as the poor kids (or young men) constantly fought to pick it up with their pitchforks and wheel barrels. I think it was part of some cycle having to do with the season and the currents (November). In fact, I found an article about it in the Bermuda local paper online, but tripadvisor wouldn't let me include the link for some odd reason.

FOOD/DINING
The upstairs restaurant was the only place we found staff to be a little too laid back and not as attentive, starting from the time we walk in, waiting for a host/hostess to appear while staff talk amongst themselves.

ROOM
This is a large resort with a variety of rooms. Ours was one of the rooms right above the beach, so there was nothing obstructing our view. I wasn't crazy about the room decor, but that's obviously a matter of personal preference; I'm not a fan of typical Florida-style Golden Girls rattan furniture and fabric print, island or not! Still, our room felt spacious, breezy, and vacation-like (maybe b/c of the island decor!), with huge windows overlooking the ocean. We also had a balcony.

BOTTOM LINE
Overall, service is the most important thing to me, and this place delivers. I might try out other restaurants to see how they are, although eating there is definitely most convenient. We were both impressed with how incredibly hard Tom worked, and how hands-on he was as an owner. It's nice that such a big resort is still family-run.

This is how hands-on they are, even months after my stay...I broke the souvenir mug I bought there, so I contacted the resort to order more (It's nice to remember our stay as I drink my morning coffee). Larry Lamb, one of the other owners, personally took my order and had them sent to me. I remember contacting the top-ranked "Inn at Little Washington" in Virginia after going there, and my email was never even acknowledged--Ha, too good for their customers, I guess! Here, the owner personally takes care of a mug order. It's the seemingly little things like this that tell you a lot. You know that any issues you might have won't disappear into the corporate abyss, so you can stay here with confidence. We hope to stay there again, in the same room.

Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank CalJackJD
Westwood, Massachusetts
Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

Excellent location with reciprocal rights for dining at two very nice hotels.
The front desk is extremely helpful with arranging extra curricular activities.
Excellent snorkeling about 300 yards off the beach and water that is just over just.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank pf18955
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 20 December 2013

We were looking for a destination that didn't require a lot of travel time or a drastic time change, but would still take us out of the U.S. Bermuda was a quick flight from Pittsburgh and even though the weather for this trip was high 60s/low 70s we still felt we escaped the cold. My husband, myself and our three boys ages 8, 6 and 3 each found something enjoyable about Pompano Beach. First, the staff were incredible. The rooms were very nice. The grounds were lovely. The private beach was just right for our young children. We fished off the dock, used the game room, loved our meals, used the workout room, hiked on the railway trail, watched soccer, swam in the pool, soaked in the hot tubs, and had a wonderful family-focused getaway. We didn't go to a large amount of touristy places, but if we wanted to I know the staff would have helped us arrange things. Thanksgiving Dinner was a true celebration. Our children also enjoyed the live piano player one night and steel drum band another night. This was a perfect family vacation for us (even with 2 of us getting a stomach bug!!)
The hotel had all the sand toys we would need, but the property is spread out and we did have to walk down several flights of stairs to eat, go to the beach, get to the main building, etc. We don't have any physical limitations that made this too difficult, but when kids rush they will get a skinned knee! Also, the staff do have golf carts to help you get around the property.

Room Tip: We stayed in a townhouse room way up on the hill. It was quite a long walk down several flights of s...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Elizabeth P
North Carolina
Reviewed 16 December 2013

The thing which makes Pompano Beach Club the gold standard for Bermuda hotels is service and the personal commitment of the owners. I met Tom Lamb several years ago when he gave me a tour of the property. I loved the views and the setup and booked my first stay. This year I returned with two friends. Larry Lamb was at the front desk when we arrived and welcomed us graciously. It just kept getting better. We had a wonderful one bedroon suite with sunset views. They set up the bedroom with two twin beds for my friends and I had the pullout sofa in the living room. While sofas are not generally comfortable, this one was fine. Our meals were very good and we found plenty of choices in the menus ( two of us are pescatarians, vegetarians who eat fish and that presented no challenge in finding very good choices for our meals). We wanted to go to the St. George Walkabout and Larry and his family drove us over. The next night we wanted to go to the Holiday Boat parade and Archer arranged a shuttle service for us. Everyone on the team has personal service as their top priority. It was a terrific stay and Larry and Tom Lamb deserve the praise they get. I would also like to note that Joyce in their reservations office is a great asset. She knows the property well and has a real talent for making sure the client gets the best arrangement for their needs.
We all had services in the Three Graces spa. They were very well done, fairly priced and professional.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank cmcfong
KY
Reviewed 15 December 2013

From the first call to make the reservation I was hooked! Kevin was on the other end of the call and answered all of my silly questions for a first timer to the island. For example, I wanted to know if there was a place to run and if it was safe to head out early, alone. The answer was YES!! I booked a deluxe room with the meal plan and it was wonderful. The resort and location are perfect. Catch a cab from the airport, enjoy the ride and the history of the island. The food was fabulous and the menu was always changing. Light snacks were available early in the morning to grab if you're and early riser and lunch was always by the pool. The staff here is simply amazing. There is a very warm, friendly atmosphere here. Tom and Larry, the owners, lead by example. Nightly entertainment is low key and fun. The interns are young and energetic. The important things: always plenty of towels, chairs, and umbrellas available. The resort is clean and well maintained. Calling to book 2014 now.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Weezie9
New Hope, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 5 December 2013

The Lamb Family owns the resort. I have never stayed anywhere where there is such "hands on" care by an owner. (I apologize, I think it was Larry who was on site.) Nothing is too much trouble, he will do everything in his power to ensure you have a great time. He is at the resort morning, noon and night. His enthusiasm is shared by everyone else who works at the resort. As noted in the title of my review, Mr. Lamb drove the free shuttle that took me to Blue Water Divers. (Also excellent) Moreover, he genuinely seemed very happy to talk and give me a ride. Food was excellent. We had the honor of sharing Thanksgiving with other guests and the Lamb Family. Thank you again and I encourage all to stay at Pompano.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Cambridge Beaches
Cambridge Beaches
#1 of 3 in Sandys Parish
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,054 reviews

Been to Pompano Beach Club? Share your experiences!