The Reefs
US$651
Cambridge Beaches(Sandys Parish)
US$983
HotelsClick
Elbow Beach, Bermuda(Paget Parish)
US$974
US$474
US$452
  • Pool
1,158 results
All reviewsocean echocliffside roominfinity poolaqua terrapoolside roomla serena spapoint suiteromance packageprivate beachcliff sidecoconuts restaurantafternoon teahot tubjunior suitedinner on the beachour honeymoonsnorkel equipment
Reviewed 8 April 2014

My wife and I stayed here for a single night as a staycation (we live in Bermuda). We didn't have time to fully experience the resort, but we did make extensive use of the spa and had a couple of meals at Ocean Echo. Overall, the experience was positive and I would gladly return.

The spa is small but gorgeous. The views from the spa lounge are wonderful and I could have stayed there and napped for days. The treatments were luxurious and relaxing, assisted by a glass of wine and a great cheese plate. I had what was perhaps the most relaxing massage I have had anywhere. Very happy with the spa and a nice change from the larger spas on the island. Much more romantic and intimate.

We caught the resort in the off-season, so the restaurant choices were limited. Ocean Echo was the only restaurant open and it was unremarkable. It is beautiful with great views but otherwise uninspiring. Perhaps we should have stayed for the Sunday brunch with has a reputation for being the best on the island. We've dined at Coconuts previously and the restaurants have always proved a good choice in season.

Our room was spacious and updated to have a modern feel. The views were wonderful and we slept with the windows open to be lulled by the sound of the ocean waves breaking on the beach.

Room Tip: We had room 330, which the bellman said was his favourite. It is large, on a corner, has great views, and is quite private.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andrew W
Reviewed 6 April 2014

My wife and I just got back from a six night stay at The Reefs. At the time of booking, I did not realize that it was Bermuda's off season, so while we missed out on some things for sure, there were also several pros. With The Reefs - we missed out on the Coconuts restaurant (opening Monday the 7th, I believe). I had read many good things about it. We enjoyed eating at Ocean Echo - breakfast was included every morning (you could literally order anything you wanted, no limits) and we ate dinner there a couple of nights (delicious). Royston's appears to be in the process of being merged with Ocean Echo into one large restaurant. I believe they're using the dining room space as overflow for Ocean Echo. The amount of people at the hotel was perfect - not crowded in the least bit and also not "dead." The weather could have been better - mid 60s to 70s all week (and of course 74 the day we left - just kept getting better each day). Below is a summary of the good stuff and some room for improvement (why I rated 4 of out 5) -

Good Stuff -

Room 312 - Poolside upper level - we booked this room specifically because it was mentioned by someone else here on TripAdvisor. The view was amazing. The room was newly renovated - new bathroom, tile, bedding, etc. Not too much to complain about. We didn't sit out on the balcony much due to lack of privacy (sits right over the hot tub and pool) and we had to be mindful of when the curtains were open and closed! The curtains were also somewhat difficult to open and close (not replaced with renovation). We'd request this room again in the future.

Ussef (sp?) - waiter. If you have dinner at the Ocean Echo, ask for this guy by name. He was one of the friendliest people we encountered on our vacation. Very helpful, friendly, funny - outstanding service and a true gentleman.

Bermuda is full of friendly people. I couldn't believe how friendly everyone was. It was rare to walk by someone without a "good morning," "good afternoon" or "good evening." The taxi drivers were always friendly and informative. So many people knew each other on a first name basis. You'd always see everyone waving at each other or giving a friendly toot of the horn to friends passing by.

The location. Several reasons - Southampton is a quieter part of Bermuda. If you're looking to be within close proximity of nightlife, I'd suggest staying in or near Hamilton. Beautiful beaches are very close by to the hotel (30 minute walk - take the bus). You could walk beach to beach and just keep on going. Likely due to the off season - we encountered very few people during our exploration adventures (outside of Horseshoe Bay on a nice day but it still wasn't "crowded" in the least). There is a bus stop right across the street. Bermuda's bus system is awesome. $15 for an all day pass (can get on and off as much as you want) or you can purchase tokens if you're only making a stop or two ($2.50 for short distance rides one way). If you want to rent a scooter, their shop is right across the street. Best time to ride is 10 AM - 4 PM while everyone is at work. There were a couple of great restaurants right up the road (Henry VIII and Gulfstream - both very good).

The ocean. Almost crystal clear in some places. We saw a lot of beautiful fish (blue parrotfish, etc.). Horseshoe Bay is one of the Top 10 most beautiful beaches in the world. You can walk pretty far out without the depth changing much. So many smaller inlets, coves and beaches and so much to explore.

THE SPA. Amazing experience and service. The girls there are so friendly. My wife is an esthetician and she was blown away by the service, techniques, etc. Be sure to check the specials on the website - the March special was still listed in April and they still honored the discount.

NO TAX - apparently there is no sales tax in Bermuda. Something costs $20 - you pay $20!

Convenience everywhere you go - public bathrooms stocked with soaps, lotions, etc... showers for the pool / beach... complimentary free to use beach gear - ocean kayaks, snorkeling gear, paddle boards, etc... towels at the beach and pool... water and LEMON WATER at the pool (self-serve), both beach and pool drink and food waiter service... The concierge was always helpful with restaurant reservations, held our luggage after checkout so we could go to the beach, etc...

Room For Improvement -

The service in Ocean Echo (for breakfast). On more than one occasion we asked the waiter for something that never made it's way to the table (and were still "billed" for it - didn't make a fuss because it was free anyways (part of breakfast meal plan) - you have to sign a receipt, list room number, etc.). Also on more than one occasion we were left waiting for a very long time before our bill would be brought to us. On the last day, we had to leave our table and find another waiter just so we could get our bill (not our bill, really - just rang up two continental breakfasts to get us out of there) and leave.

On windy days, the tables / umbrellas outside of Ocean Echo are terribly annoying. There is this metal thing dangling from the top of each umbrella that would continuously clang against the metal pole. They need to fit those with some kind of plastic cover. Easy fix!

The front desk. While friendly most of the time, we felt like we were given a hard time for arranging our own transportation to and from the hotel (saved $20 by doing so thru Beeline booked thru Expedia). Upon exiting the airport seeking out our transportation, we came upon a man holding a sign with our names listed and "The Reefs." How convenient! What I soon realized is that this was not the transportation I had arranged! The man explained that the hotel had arranged our transportation, sent him out to pick us up, $100 charge, etc... I explained to him I had already arranged transportation on my own and would be more comfortable going back with the company I had booked. He got on the phone... started explaining things to the hotel... made a fuss about whether or not he'd still get paid... and then came back to say that the transportation would be free because of the mix-up. Seemed odd - how am I to trust this man I only just met? And I had already booked transportation... so, I again re-iterated that I'd be going back with the service I booked and that was that. We had a FABULOUS experience heading to the hotel - our taxi driver was so friendly and gave us lots of good tips on things to do, places to eat, etc. Of course, when we got to the hotel, there was the guy who was sent to pick us up from the hotel (reassuring at least). The next part is what really seemed odd - while we were being checked in, we had another manager come up to us questioning us about the transportation mix-up. I explained to her that while someone at the hotel had offered me the transportation (thru email), I had kindly declined the offer and explained to them I had already made arrangements. Why they booked the transportation after that email (and reply confirmation) is beyond me. So, that was a little unnerving and not a good initial impression about the service and management.

The "eco friendliness" of the hotel room. There is a note card in the bathroom explaining Bermuda's water situation. All of their water seems to be collected from rainwater. The roofs on every building are the same and are designed to collect this water! Awesome. Anyways, the card explains that if you want the towels replaced - throw them on the floor, etc. We were OK re-using towels for the most part to do "our part." However, all of towels appeared to be replaced every single day regardless of whether or not they were on the floor. So, if this is a big deal to you - I'd suggest watching for it and mentioning something to your maid.

Our maid. There was one day where we returned to our room and the door was still cracked open (hours after they normally are done cleaning and maid nowhere in sight). I seriously doubt our possessions were in any sort of jeopardy (The Reefs is VERY SAFE) but still - it was left open. Turn down service - more of something funny we noticed, but some days we'd get TWO mints... other days... FOUR (BONUS!) - not consistent at all. On the last day, we had someone outside our door yelling to someone else "Is 312 out yet?!" - "No, I think they're still in there!" - why not wait until after 11 AM to do the room when we HAVE to be out of the room? Little things = service improvement. Only other comment - for the K Cups (coffee) - it'd be nice to have equal amounts of coffee accessories (cream, sugar, etc.) for the amount of coffee placed in the room. We'd have up to 6 K Cups but would only have 1 or 2 accessory packs.

There appears to be only one hotel side entrance to the beach thru Coconuts. There is one other entrance for residents only who live in the condos which is on the condos side of the beach. There should be something leading to the beach from the hotel to make it feel more a part of the resort.

It always seemed more windy at The Reefs than anywhere else we went. The water was always rougher and there was always noticeable wind. We'd go to other beaches and places and not notice the wind nearly as much (or at all).

It'd be nice if the pool was heated (for us off season folk).

All in all - 4 out of 5 stars. My comments are by no means any indication that I did not enjoy my stay at The Reefs. We had a blast and would likely go back. Bermuda is beautiful. I read many good things before booking this trip and there are many good things to be had at The Reefs. I have a critical mindset and believe simple improvements can be made from my comments to better obtain a 5 star rating upon our return visit in 20__ ??? If you're still reading this - please, book it now! OR - consider going next year before the season starts to enjoy Bermuda without all of the cruise ship crowds! I can only imagine the chaos!

Room Tip: Ask for Room 312 - top level in front of the pool. Best view in the place.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank acdandyd
Reviewed 3 April 2014

This is my favorite Resort on Bermuda - it has one of the best locations on a stone bluff overlooking the private pink sand cove beach and rock outcroppings. The beach is excellent. The design, landscaping and common areas are all terrific. The feeling is understated elegance that is both approachable and inviting. The food and service are very good and Glenville a great barman who is knowledgeable ambassador for the property. Golf is 15 minutes to the stunning outstanding Port Royal Golf Course, and close by to Gibbs Hill Lighthouse - and 20 minutes to Hamilton.

Room Tip: Room 338 has dramatic views that place you looking right on the water from an elevated height. This room is direct water front and quite private.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank BlueShabumi8888
Reviewed 2 April 2014

My husband and I went for a quick three night stay at the end of March to celebrate the end of my chemotherapy. Bermuda had always been high on my list of places to visit and I my husband begrudgingly agreed because it was where I wanted to go. He was quickly converted into an unwavering fan of the island and the Reefs. For myself, I had high hopes to say the least and it did not disappoint! The resort is situated on probably one of the most beautiful private beaches I have ever seen. It is intimate and provides a real sense of community. People return here year after year and it is easy to see why. I'll quickly go through some of the items that I found helpful to know before picking the Reefs...

Rooms: We booked the cheaper poolside rooms. Yes, privacy on your balcony could be an issue but the views were still incredible. Since we were there in March, the resort was relatively quiet so it wasn't much of an issue. The room had recently been updated with new tile floor, new bedding, and new bathroom. It was odd that so much was invested in the room but then things like the dresser, the ceiling fan, and the window curtains were obviously pre-renovation. Easy fixes which did not bother us a bit. The bed was comfortable, towels were huge and of nice quality, nice quality toiletries, Keurig with an assortment of coffee, safe, complimentary water bottles/ginger beer/ and rum, fridge, ironing board/iron, bath robes, umbrella, ipod dock, and flat screen TV.

Staff: Staff was incredibly friendly and accommodating - and it did not feel put on. I have to say Bermudians are some of the friendliest people I have ever met. Bermuda is an expensive island and we were worried people would be snobbish. Not the case in the least.

Food: Our room rate included afternoon tea (assortment of tea, sandwiches, and sweets) and full breakfast. Both were wonderful. We ate at the resort two nights and both meals were good. I think I was expecting the best food ever with what we paid but needless to say they were still nice meals and service was exceptional. We were able to save a few dollars by purchasing wine/beer and snacks to keep in our room at Henry VIII's Pantry just up the street. Check out the dining room at Gibbs Hill Lighthouse. Easy walk and very good.

Hotel: Hotel was gorgeous with incredible views of the Atlantic. Some people might think it is dated b/c it was built in the 1940s. This was actually a draw for me. It was a taste of old Bermuda and it was fun to think of so many people before us enjoying such as fabulous place! Absolutely gorgeous beach and pool. Chairs/umbrellas/towels provided. All additional water sports are included in the price which I hear are extra at many other resorts. Beautiful terrace to enjoy the sunset with a drink. We also enjoyed the spa - easily best massage I have ever had.

We would not hesitate to recommend The Reefs to anyone!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank MB6td
TheReefs-Management, Manager at The Reefs, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Dear MB6td,

We are thrilled to hear you had a great time with us during your very special trip. We pride ourselves on providing a great experience to our guests and are very happy that you really enjoyed your time with us. We look forward to seeing you again soon and hope to welcome you back as one of our repeat guests!

David Dodwell Jr
Resort Manager

Reviewed 31 March 2014

Went for girls long weekend. Loved the food. The staff was super friendly and helpful. Gorgeous beach , infinity pool and hot tub overlooking ocean, Only negative thing was housekeeping washes the room glasses by hand in the bathroom sink. I'd prefer they go through a dishwasher. But all in all a fun time and would definitely return.

Stayed: March 2014