“First Time At The Reefs”
Review of The Reefs

The Reefs
Staten Island, New York
“First Time At The Reefs”
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

This was our first trip back to Bermuda since our Honeymoon 40 years ago and our first stay at The Reefs. On the positive side, the view is spectacular. Our room was on the Cliffside and was clean and renovated. Since this is a small boutique resort, there was never a problem getting a lounge at the private beach or at the pool. We found most of the staff to be friendly and tried to accommodate our needs. There are two restaurants on the grounds and the hotel offers a meal plan as an add-on. If you plan to eat at the hotel, it's worth the $50.00 per person per day. The plan is flexible in the sense that you only need to take a minimum of 3 days. The menus do not change with the exception of a special. We did that, and ate at other resorts the remainder of our stay.
Entertainment is limited and seems to repeat weekly.
On the negative side, there were several issues. We pre-ordered a taxi from the airport and it was not there (note: the manager gave us a $50 credit for the inconvenience). When we checked in, we were given the wrong keys (yes, they still use actual keys). It took three tries to get the correct ones. The facility boasts "free wi-if" but service is spotty at best. It seemed to be a common complaint from guests. They have a computer available, but it too had log on issues. The front desk actually allowed us to use their computer to print our boarding passes.
Recommendations: fix your wi-fi; provide more frequent bar and food service at the pool; change your menu items throughout the week to offer more variety.
Overall, we were pleased with our stay at The Reefs, but can't say for sure if we would go back.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Nsl1952

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We stayed here for 9 nights in April for my birthday treat. The hotel was lovely though only one of the three restaurants was open in the evening, I think we were just outside the main holiday period. It did not matter though as the main restaurant was very good (though it was the same menu throughout the week there was plenty of choices). Luckily there was a restaurant up the road (Henry VIII) which we alternated with. I recommend the Sunday brunch at the hotel which is extensive and very popular with the tourists and locals alike. The puds are amazing! The beach restaurant opened for lunch the second day we were there and we had a couple of lovely meals overlooking the beautiful private beach.
The room was very spacious, clean and had a beautiful view of the beach (we paid for a Cliffside room and it was worth the extra cost).
The staff were very friendly and helpful. Bermuda is a stunning place from top to bottom with extremely friendly people, beautiful beaches and walks (recommend the rail trail) we truly felt we were in paradise.

Room Tip: Cliffside rooms have amazing views of the private beach
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I recently got married at the Reefs on Caso's Point in June 2014. The venue is absolutely stunning and better in person than in the photos online. It is the perfect place to get married "on the beach" without actually standing in the sand. The reception was held in Coconut's and every last detail was great. The entire staff at the Reefs from the event planner to the waitstaff and bartenders were extremely friendly and went out of their way to please our guests. The food was outstanding (we had filet and Bermuda rockfish as main entrees). Coconuts is a perfect venue for a smaller to mid-size wedding (we had 60 guests). The setup is great to host the cocktail reception on one side and then move into the sit down dinner. There is also ample space for a dance floor and the views are unbeatable. The only downside is accessibility if you have older family members...it can be a hike up and down the hill to Coconuts. Overall, we were highly pleased with the level of service at the Reefs and they really made our day special.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lauren W
Glendale, Arizona
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We were married at The Reefs in 2004 and returned this year for our anniversary. We were thrilled to be able to return to this beautiful place, Bermuda is so special. We were, however, a bit disappointed with the changes at The Reefs from when we visited before. We arrived on a Friday night, there was very loud DJ music on the main terrace that continued until after 11 pm. The next evening, there was loud music again...not just atmosphere music, loud, bass thumping dance music. The resort activities sheet said this music is every Saturday night and goes until 11 pm. So, at about 11:15, when there was no sign of it stopping, we went to talk to the manager on duty. We were basically told it was part of a wedding party (???) and there was nothing to do about it. Our room was very close to this area so it was unbearable. It continued well after midnight. The next morning, we talked to the manager (different one on duty) that at least understood our frustration and moved us to a different room farther away from the main terrace. The rest of our stay was pleasant and they gave us a $200 credit for the nuisance. There was no music of this sort when we went in 2004, we think they are trying to cater to a younger demo, don't know, but Bermuda is known for the peace, quiet and serene beauty, if we had wanted a loud party, we would have gone to a different place all together. We strongly recommend calling ahead to see what nights they have music and request a room as far away as possible, do not choose a room anywhere around the pool area. The bottom line, at over $500 per night, we did not expect to have to deal with these issues.

We did the beach dinner for our anniversary night and it was amazing, highly recommend this. There are many wonderful places to eat on the island if you are willing to get away from the resort. We ate at The Reefs for the beach dinner, breakfast and a couple of lunches on the beach, all very good. There is a bus stop right at the resort that takes you anywhere you want to go, for the most part the drivers were very friendly and helpful and you can get around by ferry as well, this was very fun. We found some amazing food for half the cost of what the resorts charge. Our favorite find was "Buzz" coffee, awesome iced coffee and take out food, we got a chilled tuna/coucous entree for a beach picnic that was to die for and it was only $10. We also enjoyed the Frog and Onion Pub and the Bonefish Grill at the Dockyards. There is a place called "Ice Queen" that is our fast food equivalent and it was so great...wahoo bites to die for!

For activities, don't miss Horseshoe Bay, it is beautiful. The history at St Georges is very interesting, the church is amazing and there is a lovely garden area. The arts and crafts at The Dockyards are wonderful, especially the glass blowing studio.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank AZtravelers0607
TheReefs-Management, Manager at The Reefs, responded to this review, 13 July 2014
Dear AZtravelers0607,

Thank you very much for your recent review and we were happy to welcome you back for your 10th wedding anniversary. I am glad that overall, you seemed to have a good trip with us.

I am sorry for the inconvenience that our entertainment caused during your stay with us for the that first night or two. We are always trying to find entertainment options that will appeal to a broad mix of our guests and our performers will often customize the music each night based on the crowd they have participating, but still in an appropriate manner for a resort so I apologize if perhaps that night, it might have strayed from our more normal choices of music. On Friday and Saturday nights in the summer, we do have the entertainment outside on our terrace to take advantage of the great weather, and is typically very well received - just on this last Friday, we had a large group of guests dancing right up until 11pm out under the full moon. Typically, the entertainment is scheduled to finish around 11pm and we do sometimes have weddings where the music may go to 11:30 but this is normally the latest, so I am sorry if in your case, the music went longer than it should have. I am glad that our team did address your concerns and find a more preferable location for the rest of your stay.

Every guest has different preferences and so we try to find as best a balance as possible in terms of both room locations and musical choices so I am sorry if this was not a perfect fit for the beginning of your stay. We want our guests to be able to enjoy the peace and serenity of our property as well have options for entertainment, as that is one our most heavily requested amenities. But we value your feedback as we are always striving to find the right balance for all of our guests.

We hope to see you again on another anniversary and thank you again for your review.

David Dodwell Jr
Resort Manager
Stamford, Connecticut
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Personalized service, lovely staff, delicious food, and a view to die for. The Reefs has been a second home to our family for over 20 years. The snorkeling in the reefs out in front of the hotel is magnificent, and just lounging on the beach is pretty fantastic too. Even if the beach isn't your favorite place, you can easily travel to other parts of the island on bus, moped or taxi, all three of which are readily accessible from the hotel.

Room Tip: there is no bad room at the Reefs!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Kate M
New Jersey
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We just returned from a long weekend at The Reefs. This was our fourth time visiting Bermuda and we opted for this boutique property based mostly on Trip Advisor reviews. To sum up our stay, I am going to default to the beachfront restaurant called Coconuts. At this restaurant they offer a typical limited beach menu but only two kinds of ice cream, chocolate or vanilla, and absolutely nothing at all made with or using coconuts. This describes the entire property! The beachfront is private and spectacular and the areas of the hotel that have been renovated, have been renovated nicely. That said, The Reefs, in my opinion lacked personality across the board, and fell down completely in the area of customer service.

From the moment we arrived, the service was lacking. No bellman to greet our taxi, no one at the front reception area ( I had to go in the back and call someone to come out). We had requested a roll away bed for our 20 year old daughter to be set up before arrival. They told us it was and all they had done is pull out the convertible sofa with the 1/2 inch thick mattress. Several phone calls later and after being told there were no roll aways and that it would not fit, one miraculously appeared and fit in the room. Welcome to The Reefs. When we woke up the next morning, there were ants swarming all over our floors. When I called the front desk and spoke to the maid I was told, oh, we always have ants this time of year. In my opinion, for $800 a night with service charges, The Reefs can have all the ants they want.....but it is their job to make sure that I, their valuable guest, does not see them, or the other creatures I killed on the floor of my room. Also, I could do without the mold on the curtains or the broken weather stripping on the front door. That said, the view from the room was really beautiful. We overlooked the water and sitting out on the balcony was lovely.

Used the health club and it is one of the areas that was NOT renovated. This room was dirty and disgusting in every possible way. No towels, rusty machines and weights and filthy dirty carpet and stains all over the mirrors. Honestly, I don't know how they can charge these rates and have a work out room that has not been cleaned or even looked at in years.

The food was ok, limited menu at Coconuts, need more fish options and hummus or guacamole and chips or salsa. The breakfast was the same exact thing every day, and each day, the waiters and waitresses seemed confused when you asked for water or ketchup. Echo's dinner was fine the first night and the concierge managed to book us into a great restaurant nearby called Blu which was beyond fabulous in every way. We were given three bottles of water on our arrival that were never replenished and if you wanted water, you needed to go to the bar and purchase it for $8-9 dollars. If you asked at the front desk, they could not find any. For over $60 in service fees per day it would be grand if we were given water bottles in our room with turn down every night. Oh, did I mention that we did not get turn down every night? If you do not get turn down, you do not get the resort newsletter, and so we had no idea that there was a Sunday brunch being offered. Conversely, I received an email at home alerting me to a special chefs table cooking lunch on the second day of our stay. My daughter and I signed up only to be told it was cancelled because we were the only two to sign up. There were no signs for this event anywhere at the property. How was anyone to know it was being offered? To their credit, tea time was very nice and offered for "free" each day.

The pool area was really pretty with a small infinity pool and hot tub and a dozen chairs. Management needs to order cushions and terry fitted covers because the chairs at the pool had no slats and there was nothing for a towel to grab onto and so they kept sliding down. The spa looked nice, we showered there when we were told we could not have a later check out than 11 am.

The real beauty of a boutique hotel is that it should offer something special, an experience with character. Management should be front and center ( never saw anyone until check out when I asked to speak to a manager and even he did not offer me his card ). As is usually the case, no management present, no consistent customer service offered. It often seemed like the right hand did not know what the left hand was doing in regard to servicing clientele. Everyone was in autopilot and no one really cared. Done right, everyone should have known our names, we should have felt like we were staying with friends, not like the hotel was doing us a favor by letting us spend upwards of $800 a night. Please be aware of the $65 per day service fees.

I cannot rate this property as more than average, and I feel like there is no value for the price paid. I know that there are many repeat guests, not sure I get it. In my opinion, go to Antigua to Sugar Ridge or to St Croix to the Buccaneer or to The Crane Beach in Barbados. For these prices, I expect a lot more than chocolate and vanilla.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank travelingmom526
Dear travelingmom526,

Thank you very much for your recent stay with us and for letting us know of your concerns during your stay. I am of course very surprised and sorry to hear of your experience with us, as it is definitely not indicative of a typical experience at The Reefs, as evidenced by many of the reviews on this site. I believe our general manager, Nagma Walker, has left a phone message for you earlier in the week to personally discuss your observations.

I am of course very surprised by the perception of lack of personal service as that is what we pride ourselves on and is the number one thing that our guests remark as the most memorable part of their stay with us, is getting to know our staff and the desire on our staff's part to give them a great and very personalized experience.

I am sorry that either myself or Ms. Walker did not happen to meet you during your stay, as we aim to try to meet as many of our guests as possible, whether at events like our swizzle party or afternoon tea, etc., as we would have been happy to address any and all of your concerns while on property.

I have passed along your feedback to all of our department heads so that they can investigate the items personally. We greatly value feedback from our guests and have already implemented some of things you mentioned, such as having significantly less expensive additional bottles of water available right at the front desk for our guests ease of access. We also have a very extensive pest control program, as all island properties typically do, and the property and rooms are sprayed regularly, so it is very rare to have ants in the room but on the rare occasion, we aim to quickly address them. We also have our gym scheduled to be cleaned on a daily basis so I will follow up with our housekeeping department as to why it was not at it's normal level of cleanliness.

Once again, we are very sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations for your stay with us and we hope to have the future opportunity to provide you with a typical experience at The Reefs. As mentioned, Ms. Walker has left you a message to address your questions and either of us would be happy to discuss your stay personally.

David Dodwell Jr
Resort Manager
Reviewed 2 July 2014

The Reefs is an incredible Resort on the beautiful Island of Bermuda! The staff on all levels, from the Beach hut, Coconut waiters/bartenders; our breakfast waiters and staff were so amazing!!! We will be back! Stayed in Room 347 which had an incredible view of the Ocean! The food at each meal was tasty! We arrived on a Saturday so there was a live band playing, which was fun and some dancing going on! It is definitely a resort to relax and unwind! A great destination for couples or families...

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
#1 of 3 in Sandys Parish
Grotto Bay Beach Resort & Spa
Grotto Bay Beach Resort & Spa
#2 of 2 in Hamilton Parish

Been to The Reefs? Share your experiences!