“Lovely staff .... Apartments a little dated!”

Nautilus Beach Apartments
London
“Lovely staff .... Apartments a little dated!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

It's very hard to write this review, when we first were shown into our apartment we were a little shocked! It was very dated - think 1950's to 1970's!
Very old furniture & fittings we had to laugh really, it was funny! But and it is a big but ... The apartment was very clean & had everything we needed, a hot shower, loads of clean towels, a fridge/freezer, aircon in the bedroom, a safe, a balcony overlooking the beautiful beach (over the car park) with comfy beds & sofa.
The staff were lovely, they all went out of their way to make us welcome & were very helpful.
At first we thought we would look for another place to stay but then decided as we were there only a few nights we would stick it out, I'm glad we did, for the price it was well situated - right on the beach, it was safe (security guard at night) and it was very clean.
If only the owners would spruce it up with a lick of paint and update the furniture & fittings it would be a cracking place but then I suppose the price would be higher.
We had a lovely holiday, I'm not sure we would come back to the Nautilus Beach Apartments but that is only because we like to try other places but its one place I will always remember ...... For the right reasons!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Hermangerman

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Gloucester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2013

Hi, we stayed at the nautilus in May 2013 as a family of 6,hiring out three apartments. What can I say apart from the service,amenities,cleanliness and friendliness of staff would make me want to stay here again.
The apartments are fully furnished and adequate enough to compliment the beautiful scenery of Carlisle bay. It is a little haven tucked away from the city centre but within reach if you need to take a stroll daily.
Betty,Erin and Tony made sure we had a lovely carribean experience and even the children,15,14 and 10 agreed we had a top time.
Give it a go ................................

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Zahrah R
Fredericksburg, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2013

This is a very good place to stay on the beautiful Island of Barbados. But it is not ideal for everyone. If you are looking to save a few bucks and still be on the beach and close to a lot of interesting places then this could work out well.

My girlfriend and I stayed here in April of this year and at first we were a little turned off. The place is old but relatively clean and the people are friendly and helpful. It also rained more than we expected at first, but no days were ever rained out completely. We were on a tight budget so we walked quite a bit and took advantage of the bus system (public and private - and only a buck each way...that's 2 bucks Barbados). We were expecting a little less of the 3rd world impression the infrastructure gives you, but we never felt threatened or fearful in any way. Walking along Barbados' dark streets at night with run down shacks that serve as bars or even restaurants and the shabby streets seems intimidating at first. But we always felt safe and had no incidents to take away from our memorable stay.

After a couple of days, my girlfriend was saying she definitely wanted to come back to the island and also to Nautilus. We did have a problem with the refrigerator as it did not work and the freezer was only cold (not quite able to make ice). We reported it and the staff got a repairman there in short order. Unfortunately, he did not fix the problem even after replacing a part and de-icing the evaporator. But, we just kept perishables in the freezer and made do. We are not your typical complainers. As we checked out, we let them know the repairman owes them a completed job.

The location, again is excellent. You could go to other beaches on Barbados but you don't need to. Carlisle Bay has a super beach and you can snorkel right from your room. The walk to Bridgetown is long but doable and if you like to exercise, recommended. And the Oistins Fish Fry is a short bus ride down the road. You can't miss this event on Friday nights!

I would also make sure you take the tours of the Agapey Chocolate Factory (small but impressive) and the Mount Gay Rum bottling plant. These help you get a feel for the Barbados experience and are loads of fun.

We definitely want to return to Barbados and would seriously consider staying at Nautilus again.

Room Tip: Not sure of the room numbers, but ask for a room that faces the ocean. If it's too expensive or...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Mark W
St. Maarten-St. Martin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2013

I had the most wonderful time at this apartment. The beach was amazing and the service excellent. I definitely would recommend Nautilus to anyone looking for a quiet place to relax and unwind thats close enough to all the shopping and nightlife areas in Barbados!!!! Looking forward to my next trip already!!!! Only thing missing was a pool which the beach more than made up for. Big ups to Angie my housekeeper and all rounder Tony. Ms. Betty runs the place very well

Room Tip: Stayed in room 208, best view!!!!!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kerisha W
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2013

I will be honest, it is old but clean. Being in Barbados, my favorite Caribbean island and feeling like being in paradise, I don't mind as long as it is clean (but my daughter who is 15 prefers more modern facilities). First room was very old having not much renovation since the 70', three days later, we changed room and this one was much better. You can not beat the price and the location. All the staff were very friendly.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank LyseMontreal
Smithers, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2012

Arrived Jan 2/2012 Love,love, love the view of the sea as we got out of the Taxi and there to meet us was Wanda, it was like comming home. This year we had a upstairs Apt. and the view was breathtaking. I would sit on the deck for hours and thought ," how luckley we are to be able to visit this wonderful place" The rooms have been here for almost 40 years and are on the beach, they are very clean and have everything you need to do your own cooking. The office staff is the best, they always have time for a chat and a smile. The room maids and Louis get a 10 plus. they all do a great job. Our room was spotless ( I checked and I was in this business for 26 years, so I know a clean room ) Some say the rooms are dated but so am I so for us ( 70 - 72 ) they are perfect. We are going back in Dec. for a month and if our health holds out we will be going back to ,The Nautilus for many more years to come. We can't improve on " Perfect "

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank mgmz2016
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

This accomodation has the best location on the island in my opinion, Carlisle (Brown) Beach. It is dated but everything is in working condition. Excellent staff. Place is very clean. This time, I was by myself (husband and daughter had to stay home) and the only unit available was the room 201. It is not the best room, the patio is almost in the parking lot and it is very dark. But I was there only to wash and sleep. Another room would be better but there is a lot of repeated guests booking year after year so it is difficult to have availability. I loved it so much that I am returning with my family in December but I book another room.

Room Tip: You can walk to Bridgetown. Avoid room 201 if possible.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank LyseMontreal
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bridgetown
Hilton Barbados Resort
Ocean Two Resort & Residences
Ocean Two Resort & Residences
#2 of 8 in St. Lawrence Gap
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,959 reviews

Been to Nautilus Beach Apartments? Share your experiences!