“Unimpressed”

Predator Sportfishing Charters
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We offer all inclusive fishing charters on our new Blackfin. We have competitive rates,and we only do private charters with up to six anglers so that we can provide service on a personal level. We primarily do fishing charters but can also customize any trip to suit your interest- we can do snorkeling, swimming with the sea turtles, a fishing/swim/ BBQ lunch stop cruise, or combine any of these with a fishing trip. If you can do it on water you can do it with us. Everything (pickup, tackle, bait, drinks, snacks) is included in the price of the charter.The boat has all the necessary coast guard approved safety gear and plenty of shade.We offer four,five,six and eight hour trips for all charters.
Reviewed 15 April 2013

Let me start by saying that we do a lot of fishing, both at home and on vacation. Also, I rarely write negative reviews. I waited a long time to write this one, to make sure I gave a fair review.

The captain was not overly friendly to me and my family, but the mate was pretty nice and chatty. We were offered drinks, which was a nice amenity. We were out for a 1/2 day of fishing and caught nothing for hours. It was disappointing because the captain did not change tactics at all, like most charters do when Plan A isn't working. The only fun part of the trip was watching the flying fish go by. Finally, at the end of the day, we caught a single barricuda. Yeah! Now, I had done my research and knew that the catch normally went to the boat. However, I had specifically found a charter that would allow us to keep some of our catch. Chris had confirmed that we would get 10# worth of the catch (enough for dinner; perfect) and that he would fillet them for us.

Now, here's the part that gets Predator a poor review from me. When we got back to the dock, there was another couple waiting. He had double booked the day (which is his right) but had not allowed time in between to properly take care of us. He basically just kicked us off the boat and took the other couple on. We did not get one single bit of our promised fish! We were very disappointed.

So, overall, I was unimpressed with Predator Sportfishing.

4  Thank KimJ_in_Oregon
Predator246, Owner at Predator Sportfishing Charters, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2013

It is strange how some clients rave about the captain and enjoy chatting and some don't anyway....
The captain will always go with the tactics that work best for our waters, sure he could have changed it up but the results would have been the same or worse. Also, the captains job is to drive the boat and try hard to find you fish, he does not just blindly drive around the ocean, he is fishing ledges, contours, shoals etc. This takes concentration. Since you say that you fish often on vacation as well you will know that on most charter the boats the captain is almost inaccessible anyway as he is on the flybridge. It is not so with us however.
Please Note: There are over 10 daylight hours everyday in Barbados and we routinely run two 4 hr trips a day , 8 - 12 and 12:15- 4:15 That is Not double booking.
I asked the captain about the fish not being filleted and given to you to take and we are very sorry but it was really as simple as he forgot about the 'Cuda. We are truly sorry about that, we would like to offer you $100 off any trip as compensation , if you would like to fish with us in the future.
Kind regards,
PSC Barbados

Reviewed 5 April 2013

Capt Chris and mate Chris were the "BOMB". Good conversation and great personallity mixed in with some great weather made this experiance one we will never forget. Oh ya the 150 lb YELLOW FIN TUNA was good too! WOW! We have done some deep sea fishing in the past and this was the absolute best ever.

If your not fishing with these guys...your not fishing with THE BEST!!!!!!

Thanks Chris and Chris. We did a lot of great things on this trip but you topped it off with a 5 diamond performance. Can't wait to see you again next year!

Ken, Melanie, Kennedy and Sam Buchanan
Sk, Canada

7  Thank KenB973
Reviewed 18 March 2013

Totally awesome trip with Chris and Adam. Have fished with dozens of charters around the world and its all about choosing the right skipper and the right boat - some will just drag you around for the day in a circle to save fuel. Others will make the extra effort needed to do better than the next boat. That is Predator Sport fishing, who got as much of a kick out of the day as me. Told em I wanted quality not quantity and so they steamed miles off Barbados to give me the chance of getting what I was really targeting. Real dream to reality stuff with a 40lb Sailfish successfully caught and released. This is a billfish C&R boat. Be warned some others are not! The other fish of the day were just a bonus. Lessons of chartering over the years are (1) communicate what you want to achieve and (2) spend a bit extra to get a proper charter. This is so important. A good crew can do so much more for you in six or eight hours than they can do in four hours. Great day, great crew. Don't let the fact that they cost less than the rest put you off. This is a serious boat with serious crew.

7  Thank MiloB532
Reviewed 18 March 2013

My brother and I went out deep sea fishing for a full day with Chris and Adam on the Predator at the beginning of our trip to Barbados, and then again later in the trip for another half-day with only Chris. We caught one Barracuda on our first day, so we decided to give it another go later in the week with hope that the fish were hungrier.

Chris and Adam are very professional, friendly and truly enjoy fishing. They are also very knowledgeable of the Island. On our second outing we managed to catch a nice sized Wahoo and a big Barracuda. Chris can't gaurantee that you'll catch fish while you're out with him, but he'll do everything in his power to make it happen. We had a great time talking about fishing, enjoying the view of the island and the occassional beverage.

If you like fishing, or have never deep sea fished before I would highly recommend going out for at least a half day if not a full day with Chris. His prices are very reasonable compared to any other charter we've been on. We had a great time and will definitely be giving him a call to book another charter next time we are back on the island.

Thanks a lot for the good times Chris and Adam!

4  Thank Alex M
Reviewed 26 February 2013

Let me first state that I know they call it fishing, not catching, for a reason. I read ALL the reviews of Predator Sportfishing before we booked our trip, and even the people who did not experience great fishing still raved about how great their fishing trip was. Unfortunately, our experience was nothing like theirs. When we arrived to the boat Chris said that his first mate did not show up that day. I'm not sure if he was just having a bad day or what his problem was but he said very little to us over the 4 hour excursion unless we asked him a question. Even then his answers were limited to 3-4 words. The light refreshments advertised consisted of 4 beers, a two liter of Coke and a two liter of flat Sprite. After 4 hours on the boat Chris reeled in the lines and said "sorry the fishing sucked, you owe me the balance of the $400.00". Of our seven days in the Carribean, this is the only excursion I regret booking!

3  Thank Joseph D
Christopher B, Owner at Predator Sportfishing Charters, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2013

We are very sorry that you did not enjoy your trip with us. However you must keep in mind that because the mate(who has since been fired) did not show up for work that the Captain had to do two jobs, and not just the one. It is not easy to run a boat, set out all the lines and rig gear and also try to find fish for the clients, and also entertain the clients with chat. Running the boat and finding fish takes concentration, we do not just blindly drive around the ocean, we are fishing ridges, ledges, banks etc. Also keep in mind that on almost all charter boats the captain is on the flybridge and is unavailable to the clients anyhow. Normally the captain is more available to the clients with our trips.
The captain has assured me that the boat was fully stocked before your trip, there were a lot more than 4 beers, and there was also lots of coke and sprite below deck. You should have mentioned the flat sprite to the Captain.
Kind Regards,