“Return visit - even better!!!”
Review of Sandy Lane Hotel

and 1 more site!
Sandy Lane Hotel
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I was lucky enough to return to Sandy Lane in May this year and i think it was better than the time before if that is possible!
From the moment i stepped out of the car from the airport and was greeted with "Welcome Home" we were treated to the most fabulous experience.
Understated elegance - I love it.

Room Tip: Dolphin Suite - great space, big terrace
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 30 June 2014

This is definitely the most beautiful spa property I have visited .
Open marble vistas and sprawling manicured grounds .
The manager was very knowledgeable and had such a nice disposition .
Loved the little tiny touches , and you must visit the room with the amethyst crystals .
Simply beautiful .......

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank JosephinaSwims
Reviewed 26 June 2014

This was are fourth visit to Sandylane but first time with the children. We stayed for 10 nights and it was fantastic from start to finish. First time in The orchid wing and rooms were beautiful. We had connecting rooms and tons of space. My boys loved the treehouse club and cannot wait to go back. We had most of the day to ourselves while the kids were kept happy and busy.
Gym and spa are fantastic. Food is good they just need to change there menu and add more variety. I think there menu is still the same one from five years ago. Also there Internet connection is terrible. One minute it works and the next it doesn't or it works in your room but not at the gym.
Staff was great and we will be back next year.

Room Tip: Any room is great but orchid suites are a bit of a walk
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank TorontoSpagirl
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Having read the other reviews, I anticipated the arrival experience but didn't expect how grateful I would be for the fast track immigration. Looking at queues hundreds deep it was wonderful to go straight through after a long flight with the Sandy Lane representatives at Grantley Adams airport. We were warmly greeted at the hotel with welcome drinks and promptly shown to our room, an Orchid Suite. It was beautiful, spacious and spotless, and we still had an ocean view albeit through the trees. It is our first time to the Barbados as we usually frequent The UAE and the Maldives. I was half expecting to be disappointed as the service we find and the standard of properties here is very high. However, we were not disappointed. The hotel itself is so beautiful and the photos do not do it justice, nor could I take any, which captured the lighting and ambience. The service was exceptional, which leads me to the main reason for writing this review, which was to advice the ever increasing number of people who have a nut allergy, as having 2 children who suffer from this I could not find much information before I came. Yes, the hotel as most 5 star hotels, reassured me that the could cater, but usually even in Dubai it can still be a nightmare especially with buffets. The head chef welcomed us on our first day at breakfast, and explained that because of the nut allergy problems they deliberately leave it out as hidden ingredient so whilst they offered nuts on the table in the bar, or a in a bowl at breakfast, most of the bakery items were labeled clearly as containing nuts which you could physically see aswell, or which I loved 'nut free'. We went to the Asian buffet and although we do not particularly care for buffets, it was the best buffet we had ever eaten. From sushi, to Thai salads, to all manner of Chinese ribs, steamed dumplings, it rated with even the best al la carte meals Asian meals we have had and to add to this as most nut allergy sufferers will know Asian food with the peanuts and cashews is usually a big no go, even just from cross contamination issues. But almost everything was labeled 'nut free' from teriyaki to almost all the deserts like, 'nut free' carrot cake and cookies. My son was in heaven, as he is usually so restricted. In many hotels, it is only the chefs who are aware of the implications of this nasty allergy but even the waiting staff, and room service order takers where aware of all menu items and detail such as the fact that the chocolate chips that were used in cookies did not contain nuts but were made in a factory were nuts were used. This was impressive and really did reduced the stress that comes with eating out with children who suffer from this. I brought all prepackaged baby food for my 1 year old with the allergy and brought it all back with me as they had a wonderful and complimentary in room baby menu, which I felt confident to give her. The Tree House club and staff also deserve a mention. My 9 year old daughter had a fantastic time there and would often want to go from 10am when it opened, right until 8pm when it closed (they also close between (5-6pm). The spa was excellent and I had one of the best massages I have ever had. And the staff really did stand out, many of whom have worked there for a very long time. Strangely, I remember so many names, so thankyou, Jackie, Rehanna, Alpha, Sheree Ann, and Emmanuel to name but a few for a wonderful holiday in a very special place.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank maz170
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

This is one of the world's great hotels, but not in the sense of the Savoy or George V... The location on its own bay with enough land for three golf courses stretching back behind the hotel is wonderful. You are, however, removed from any but the most general sense of being on Barbados. And most of the guests are money or media.

The staff are low key and friendly, apart from a slight tendency to whip away your plate before you've quite finished the last mouthful. Obviously enough, the food is mostly amazing and if you don't want to eat at the hotel then Carib and The Cliff near by are both world class in their way.

Our vast balcony looked out at the sea and the horizon, and watching the sun set each day across the water was something I'll remember forever.

An experience (probably to be repeated).

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank StamfordRaffles
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I am surprised Sandy Lane has not made the list for Trip Advisors best hotels. The service and amenities are fabulous! The food is incredible. The ease to pretty much do anything on or off the property is refreshing as the concierge and the staff treat you like royalty whether you are a first time visitor or a returning guest. Every detail seems to have been considered. My husband and I travelled to Sandy Lane for our honeymoon and then went back for our 20th Anniversary...I am still dreaming about our experience almost 1 year later. If you can afford to get to Sandy Lane it is well worth it!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Dorothy K
Reviewed 5 June 2014

A truly top class property for Barbados. Have visited before but not stayed until this year.
The manager, Randy, is ex Cobblers Cove (when it was good) and before that he was Sandals. He understands what wealth wants and he makes sure the wealthy are happy.
It was clear to me that they were running on a skeleton kitchen crew or at least were lacking a senior chef.
Overall, I think the hotel is very good. I don't think it compares well to say a 5* Dubai such as Ritz or One & Only, but it is certainly the best hotel we have stayed at on Barbados.
Sandals is coming soon, so maybe they will need to do a refurb to put the upstart in it's place - no doubt the rates will go up, but that might be a good thing and necessary if they want to keep their badge of exclusivity.
The private jet service looks good, particularly since the First Class BA offering on this route is poor.
Will I go back? Maybe. But if it does go to a higher price level the Maldives looks like a better option.

Room Tip: I only saw two rooms, both in Orchid on 3rd floor facing the Ocean. They were excellent, spacious, p...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple