The House is unlike any other hotel we have had the fortune of staying at. It is not on the scale of say a Shangri La, nor does it boast ultra modern busy feeling, no, what it does do is it provides you with a sense of homeliness and utter relaxation.
Upon arrival at the airport it is a 35 min drive to the hotel, skirting across the top of Bridgetown.
The hotel has manned 24 hour security so there is no chance of any un welcome guests.
You are greeted in the “lobby” yet there is no reception desk, the rooms, particularly the Ocean Suites are spot on, we had a ground floor room, 4 steps and you are in the pool. The ground floor rooms do not lack privacy by any means, and the terraces are slightly larger than the 1st and 2nd floor. Irrespective all the rooms face west so fantastic sun sets are guaranteed.
The rooms are what you would expect, we could not find fault, and I’m sure other folks have covered this subject in other reviews.
Things which may be of use.
If you want to dine in Daphnies, the adjoining restaurant, you are advised to book, especially if you want a beach table, happy hour is 5 till 7. Food and service are excellent, although you pay for what you get, like most things in life. Breakfast is served at the side of the restaurant complete with Champagne and proper pork sausages if that is your want !
If you want to dine out, in your room you will find the priced menus from all the islands top eating houses, and any of the staff will happily make any bookings for you. It’s best to let them do this as they most certainly know who they need to speak to.
We ate at several of the recommended spots including the “WORLD” famous Cliff Restaurant, take our word for it and just do it at least once, you will not be disappointed. The Cliff is within walking distance, come out of the House turn right and its 500yds on the right, it’s that easy.
Other eating houses not on the list can be found in Hole town, don’t be apprehensive, get on the Yellow Ragge busses $2 Barbadian gets you as far or as short as you want to go. Depending on the traffic its about 7 to 10 mins. Best place to get off is when to see the next Petrol station on your right, stand up and they will stop at the next stop, there are only say 200yds apart max.
Lots of places in Hole town. Go to Lime Grove shopping mall, on your right just past the filling station where all the “beautiful” people go. Some of the designer shops offer exceptional deals compared to prices here in England, up to 50% off, and you can haggle! There is a bar in Lime grove where the staff are very helpful, very well skilled and good entertainment, Tom Cruise, eat your heart out!
Just across from Lime Grove you will find some local bars and eating places on 1st and 2nd Street, don’t be afraid, get in there with the locals. The drinks vary in price, the more you drink and turn up, the cheaper they become. Eating, the busy places are the best places, if you walk back towards the hotel, on the left is a huge supermarket, source of cheap beer in the little mall, keep going 200yds and you will come to Just Grillin, it does what it says and is full of locals, food is fine, steaks are very good. If you hire a car, go for a soft top jeep type, you can drive all the way around the island in about 4 hours, but having a jeep allows you to explore down tracks a normal car would struggle with. We did this and found some fantastic deserted spots of rugged coast line particularly to the north.
Back to The House. It’s the staff that once again make the difference, they all cover each other’s jobs and nothing is too much of a ask, they really do make the effort.
So if you want peace and relaxation, with no screaming kids, in great surroundings this is the place. We will be going back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The House experience begins when guests enter along an enchanting private driveway, with lily ponds and walls of blossoming bougainvillea, which capture the essence of tranquillity and the promise of pure indulgence ahead. Through the hotel's wooden doors guests are treated to a stunning and unobstructed view of its white sandy beach and the ocean ahead. The open plan lobby is designed to capture the relaxed and inviting charm of the island - one that is sophisticated, yet informal. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LoveHolidays, Holiday Gems, Odigeo, Expedia, Travelbag, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Ebookers, Cancelon, HotelsClick, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Evoline ltd so you can book your The House by Elegant Hotels reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The House Hotel Saint James
- The House Saint James
- The House Barbados
- Saint James The House
- House Barbados
- The House By Elegant Hotels Barbados/Saint James Parish