“Don't read any further, book somewhere else!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Divi Heritage

Divi Heritage
Ranked #24 of 26 Hotels in Saint James Parish
Toronto, Canada
“Don't read any further, book somewhere else!”
Reviewed 6 February 2012

I'm in Barbados a few times a year on business and frankly, all I expect is somewhere clean to sleep with a view of the ocean - I love getting into 'island time' while I'm here. I was only here two days and if I hadn't pre-paid I would have left after one night. My complaints list is so long I won't bore the poor people of Trip Advisor with all of them, but I'll give you the highlights.

First, lets go over the positives of this resort, because there certainly were a few.

Overall the room was quite clean, although with some noticeable issues (see below). The security staff who are always on duty and seem to be the only staff on site before 8 AM and after 4 PM were extremely friendly, welcoming, and helpful. All of them went out of their way to assist me with my requests from checking in, to restaurant suggestions (that grill was exactly what I wanted!) and good directions for driving - they were a definite highlight of this 'resort'. Rooms are spacious with a bed, full couch and somewhat separate kitchen space. My room was also directly facing the ocean (many are not) which was great. Oh, and the AC works, although it could barely keep up and was pretty loud. That's where the highlights of this property stop dead.

Now lets go through some negatives of this place...

Front desk staff only seemed to be around between 8-4 so if you left early or returned late it wasn't possible to do anything such as make requests - security staff were extremely helpful in this regard but weren't able to deal with issues effectively.

Wireless internet was available but never worked for me - I tried on 3 different devices all over the property. A show stopper for someone on business.

My room didn't have a single window so it had a cave like feel - this was mostly because my jacuzzi was between my room and the ocean - of course the jacuzzi was empty so I couldn't even use it.

As others have mentioned, the front of the hotel is a bit of a thoroughfare and room security is low at best which meant I couldn't leave my door and 'windows' open at the front when I wasn't standing right there - anyone with basic intelligence could gain access to my room with a minimum amount of effort because of wide louvre slats and a terrible locking mechanism. I thought the in-room safe would alleviate my fears, but sadly the door had been totally removed so I couldn't even secure basic items. If you open the louvres, then anyone under 400 lbs can reach their arm in and unlock your door. This dooms you to 24/7 AC... boo.

There are only 7 parking spaces and three were taken up by staff. Pray there aren't many guests with cars....

The washroom, oh the washroom. There were... hairs of a certain type.... on/around the sink and tub. The shower curtain was... err... of questionable condition and the shower didn't work. I washed for two days using the sink and a pot. When I complained about this, they said someone would be over during the day to repair it. This never happened. When I reminded them when I checked out so that someone else didn't have to suffer as well I was told they weren't aware of the issue.

This place is definitely old and it shows. I'm ok with that but it was to a point where all of the sheets had many holes in them - the comforter looked like it had had a village of mice living in it at one point. Towels were like sandpaper. There was blood on the headboard which I asked them kindly to clean - this was also never done.

Half the closet doors wouldn't open because they're too warped so I just worked out of my bag for the trip - there was an ironing board but no iron. I was told that there should be one and that an iron would be brought to my room, which never happened.

When I checked out, the front desk staffer seemed fairly annoyed that I had interrupted her reading - I said I was checking out, she asked me for the key and said ok and went right back to her book. I sort of awkwardly stared at her but she never looked up again so I just left.

Overall, I had low expectations going in based on the other reviews but I didn't expect they would have to be set even lower. I obviously had a remarkably terrible experience, but if you're coming here for your hard earned vacation, why risk it? Do yourself a favour a book at a different hotel for the same price.

Room Tip: Don't even consider booking a room here. Run far, far away.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
7 Thank hughbertYYZ

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 November 2011

We've been here. 3 times and know Barbados pretty well. OK, so the place isn't great, it's owned by a bunch of idiot Americans who don't really care or cannot afford to invest in it, but the staff are very friendly and the rooms are passable. Agreed, the standard of the rooms and the level of maintenance could be better and yes, although you are by the sea, access to the beach means either walking a few hundred feet around to the Sandy Lane beach (passed the squashed-in, over-charged fools at Almond Beach Resort) or going the other way towards Holetown, in each case you will have plenty of space and great places to sunbathe and swim. And yes, there is no restaurant, but there are loads of decent places to eat in the area and sometimg for every budget for instance you can eat at the Beachhouse in Holetown for about £50 per head or you can eat very well opposite at Just Grillin for £10 a head. We come here because it is cheap. We do various other holidays thought the year, but we love Barbados and the Divi is an OK base. As is the norm here, the people are pretty relaxed and nothing happens in a hurry. Don't expect luxury, but there is plenty of space around the resort (unlike at the Almond Beach where you are jammed in like sardines with lots of fat old Brits). If you are that worried then stick to Benidorm or the Algarve. The buses are fun, but we would advise hiring a small car.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Farrunner
California
Reviewed 9 September 2011

This was our first visit to Barbados, and in Sept. we found it extremely hot and humid. Walking was uncomfortable. This complex is about 10 minutes from the nearest shopping center, some of which is NOT air conditioned. Many of the restaurants nearby were closed. The A/C in our unit was not proficient, and there was no internet in the room. Very small beach & no pool. It would be better to stay closer to Oisins or St. Lawrence Gap.
We reserved a beach front room, but were given one with an ocean view. The shuttle service into town was very vague, so we never managed to do that.

Room Tip: Insist on a beach front room, which would be cooler.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Travellers230
Management_DSW, Administrative Assistant at Divi Heritage, responded to this review, 27 September 2011
Dear Guest,

We want to thank you sincerely for your comments. However, we are extremely sorry that your trip to Barbados and Divi Heritage did not meet your expectations.

During the period of July - November, this is known as the Hurricane season. It is also seen as the Summer and therefore, the weather, which is beyond our control Worldwide, will reflect such.

We are also sorry that Divi Heritage did not meet your expectations where you stated that there was no pool. However, on visiting the website, you may have recognized that the Resort does not have a pool, but, yes, a small beach for our valuable guest to enjoy.

If you were looking for lots of nightlife and a vast number of restaurants, the South Coast would have been the ideal place. But, if you are looking for tranquility with tourist attractions, the West Coast is the key.

Once again, we are sorry that both Divi Heritage and Barbados did not live up to your expectations but we hope that you give us the opportunity to show why we are truly deserving of your return.

Please feel free to visit www.barbados.org for details about Barbados.

Yours sincerely,

Nicole Byer
Old Saybrook, Connecticut
Reviewed 29 July 2011

We stayed at Divi Heritage for our Honeymoom.. We had a great time..The staff was wonderful..they gave us great ideas for destination points on the island from where to visit and eat , we would be happy to go back sooner than later

Room Tip: water front cottages
  • Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank painter1234
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2011

I've been to Divi Heritage 6 times. Each visit starts with a bad tase sorry to say. We make reservations and then we arrive, are told that our room is not ready yet (as in not cleaned) and we are therefore placed in another suite until they can get us into our room. We usualy stay in "Run of the House" suites. These suites are out dated and need a little renovation. There is only one bedroom and then the couch that has a pull out bed. Further the television gives little channels so it is not all that entertaining. For the kitchen, if you are someone that wants to cook on your holiday one or few times then you have to travel with pots and pans if you are willing. All they have is a microwave and they offer plates. But no amenities for the stove if you wish to cook a little meal. There is no pool and for you to get to a pool you can use the adjacent hotel's own. There also is no restaurant so you have to go to outside restaurants. A convenience is that there is a supermarket a few minutes away. But be warned that although they state on the site that they can shop for your goods you requested, it never happens because it always goes back to the problem of them never having your room ready and therefore no goods that you ordered would have been bought.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank barberann
Dear Barberann,

Thank you for your review posted on June 22, 2011.

Apologies are offered on behalf of the Management and Staff of Divi Heritage if we did not meet your expectations.

I just want to confirm that check-in time at the Resort is 3:00 p.m. However, we try very hard to accommodate persons who arrive before the scheduled time. On this occassion, we were unable to deliver such.

On investigating the issues outlined in your review, most of them proved to be untrue and we have taken the time to address the other issues outlined. We thank you sincerely for bringing all these issues to our attention via TripAdvisor.

Again, we sincerely apologize and we do look forward to welcoming you to Divi Heritage in the near future.

Best wishes,

Nicole Byer
Bay Shore, New York
Reviewed 19 February 2011

We arrived at the hotel at 3:15 pm fo check-in and were told that our oom was not ready and wouldn't be ready for at last two hours. The check-in woman stated that there was nothing she could do about that and we would just have to come back in two hours!

We came back at 5:30 pm, and our room was still being cleaned. Check-in was advertised at 3 pm. We finally get in our room, and we noticed a strong foul odor outside of our room and inside of our room. We went back up to the reception area and spoke to the same woman and expressed concern regarding the foul odor. She stated, "We have had numerous complaints about that, but it is coming from next door and it is not from us." I stated that I understood that, but that the smell was making us feel sick. She stated that she did not have another room, but that we could talk to a manager tomorrow to see if their other resort had any vacancies. The bathroom was filthy, shower did not work properly and the drain on the tub was broken and it was filthy. The pots were old and rusted. The toilet continued to run when you flushed it. AC was broken. Back door did not lock properly. Unsafe. Walls in closet were mildewed. No silverware. It rained often and large muddy puddles prevented safe access to room. Never saw any security. If you left your back door open to view ocean, strangers that continually walked by and were able to access your room, as lock was broken. The safe in the closet was broken and had no door on it. It was disgusting, and it was not worth $159.00 per night plus VAT taxs of $33.00 per night.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank ldemetres

Travellers are raving about these Saint James Parish hotels

Winnipeg
Reviewed 10 February 2011

We met my parents here and stayed for three nights. We basically just wanted to experience being on the West Coast without having to spend $600+/night on accommodations for the 4 of us.

There was people to greet us right away when we arrived and they helped us with our bags to our room, we had a ground floor.

We had ordered from the grocery list so that we would have some stuff in our room and not have to worry about finding a store or anything right away. Unless you have a problem with walking a short distance with a bag in your hand don't do this! Firstly, they weren't in the room when we got there and we had to ask and they took a few hours to get them to us, obviously they forgot and had to send someone to the store that we ended up going to anyways. They then charge you a huge amount for the items that you could have just gotten yourself for 1/3 the price. They charged about $25 (US) for a 6 pack of beer when it's only about $2.25 (US) per beer at the grocery store across the street. We easily walked to the store and got some snacks and beer just across the street near the little mall parking lot. And the cab driver that drove us from the airport to the hotel was happy to make a quick stop for us at the gas station or grocery store on our way as well, just offer them a little more money than you agreed to for the convenience.

It definitely stunk a bit on the side door access as it was right next to the gutters. But every hotel along the beach had these sewer gutters in between, I just think that the entrance doors are unfortunately placed too close at this place. We had the two french doors to go in and out of when we weren't going far from the hotel and the smell wasn't on that side.

The room was very clean, nicely arranged for the 4 of us. Definitely outdated. This place seems like it would have been really nice about 25 years ago. I heard they put all their money into the Southwinds and if they just updated a few of the appliances like the refrigerator and the beds/bedspreads etc. it would be a much cozier environment to live in.

My husband and I slept on the fold out couch and it wasn't comfortable at all and they didn't leave any pillows and when I asked for one they brought me this really huge puffed out pillow that was clearly old and the inside cotton was all balled up. It was unusable. My parents had about 4 pillows on their bed though but they like their pillows and were unwilling to share so, we didn't have pillows unfortunately and I used my airplane pillow. We're young and easy to please though and we weren't paying so I didn't really have a place to complain about that sort of thing. We come from -30 weather and were just happy to be there.

The internet was definitely in and out and seemed to work better when you sat on the front porch outside and worked a little better during the day than at night.

The showers didn't seem to have hot water, not even necessarily warm. But we didn't say anything and were only there for 3 nights and it was hot outside. I think if we would have said something then they might have done something about it?

Also, be warned! They claim that you can use the amenities of the Far more posh resort next door, The Almond. Well, you CAN use them... but for the amount they charge you to use them, you might as well just stay there.

The Almond Beach Club looked like a really nice place to stay, and it's way more expensive and I think an all inclusive. If you want to use their bar you have to buy a pass for $40 US and that doesn't include the drink prices. That's just to use it. There's a fee to USE the restaurant, a fee to USE the pool, etc. A day pass just to USE everything is $100 US. It's not worth in my opinion, if you're gonna pay that you might as well pay just a little bit more and actually stay at their nicer hotel. If you want all that, from what I saw, it was a nice looking place.

But we're not picky and it was an affordable place in a really good location and for three nights we were totally happy with it. It seems like a lot of time share holders stayed there for long periods and they're satisfied with what they've got. it's true, you get what you pay for, it IS right next door to one of the most expensive hotels on the entire island (Sandy Lane) so I mean.... really, what are you expecting?

The staff was always really pleasant, although whenever we asked for something it would take a few hours, maybe the next morning, to get it. Our coffee maker didn't work and I'm a fiend for my coffee and when they brought us a new one the next day it didn't work a whole lot better. I asked for an in-room safe and they kept saying they'd get on it and never did. I was a little annoyed with that but then again I didn't do much about it except ask twice. I should have complained if I really wanted it and made a bigger deal about it and I would have gotten it.

They had a little welcoming party for everyone on Monday with rum punch which was nice.

The hot tub didn't have any water in it and was not in use, but hey... who wants a hot tub in 28 degree weather right! No one seemed to mind and it at night if it rains it was a nice table to congregate around with lights and shelter if there's a "Passing SHower".

The Sandy Lane beach is RIGHT there, except when the tide is in it's a little more difficult to access from the beach line as there is a wall that the waves crash up against. You have to walk out a bit where they are just passing over you and not crashing you against the wall. My parents walked over there the next day though with total ease when the tide went out. And I thought Sandy Lane and the little cove beyond it was one of the most beautiful beaches I've ever seen.

The Catamaran cruise we took later that week would take us actually to the Sandy Lane Beach for lunch and in the other direction (North) of Divi there is a little beach area where the Turtle information sign is. That is where the catamaran actually took us to swim with the turtles and snorkle around the shipwreck.

You can walk along the beachline to reach Holetown shopping area and there is many restaurants and shops. It's easier to get to from the beach I think, and more pleasant of a walk. But the busses can take you on the road very easily or you can walk the road as well.

We ate at a little place on the beach called Surf Side and it had your basic Flying Fish Sandwiches and rum punch with a great ocean front seating. Casual and low key, inexpensive place for lunch.

Overall the Divi is a very pleasant place to stay and in a fantastic location, not on, but very close to the beach. You can see the ocean from your room and some of the rooms are actually ocean front. It's not as far from the beach as I thought, I didn't even think we could see the ocean from our room before we went from what I looked up online.

Sunset is a big event every night with everyone gathering along the wall for pictures and then everyone sort of mingled around for while until it got dark.

A note on drivers. If you call a cab to take you anywhere, definitely bargain with them. We took a cab to the Harrisons Caves and he charged us $60 Barbados. When we found a cab for our ride home in the Caves parking lot we asked how much and when he said $60 my husband said "$60! (looked over at us and said) Didn't we pay $50 for our ride here?!" and then the driver quickly said "yes, that's fine, $50 is good". Then, the next day when we got a cab to the Aerial Zip line adventures which was about the same distance away the driver initially said it would be $45 Barbados.

We hired a driver to take us to our next hotel that day for $40 an hour. He was a great driver and guide and took us to places we didn't know about, scenic overlooks and stuff and restaurants for lunch. His name is Danny and a girl at the front desk recommended him. When she recommended him she had said $30 Barbados an hour and when I talked to him on the phone to reserve him for the next day he said $40. I should have said "$40, the woman who recommended you said $30". But I'm not as smooth as my husband when it comes to that. But just to give you an example of how you can bargain with them. I can give you his number if you message me.

If you want to stay on the West Coast, on the beach - or at least where the beach is accessible in a 5 minute walk and a view from your room; you don's care about frills like a pool, swim up bar, gym, spa etc; you want a clean and relaxed environment; don't expect any more than a clean, pleasant room to stay in and a great location, then this is a very good place to stay for the price.

You have to be a very easy going traveler and get yourself on Island Time as soon as possible. The Bajan people I think can come across as inattentive to a lot of visitors and I think it's a misunderstanding. Every time I talked to anyone from there they were respectful and very helpful and informative. They just don't do the small talk and cater to you in a fake way. They're on a frequency I think that most vacationers take about 3 or 4 days to get on.

If you find this is a good price and you want a great location and aren't to picky, don't hesitate to stay here and give it a try.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
#12 of 26 in Saint James Parish
Divi Southwinds Beach Resort
Divi Southwinds Beach Resort
#28 of 49 in Christ Church Parish

Been to Divi Heritage? Share your experiences!