“Nightmear on Elm Street”
Review of Divi Heritage

Divi Heritage
Ranked #24 of 26 Hotels in Saint James Parish
Burlington, Canada
“Nightmear on Elm Street”
Reviewed 27 January 2013

Completely unacceptable service at the front desk. They screwed up our reservations resulting in us having to move to a sister resort half way through our vacation and if that wasn't bad enough they kept us waiting all day to confirm whether they had another room at the Divi Heritage or whether we would be moved to a sister property. Filthy drapes in the bedroom. Faucet fell off in the shower. Side of refrigerator on the outside completely covered in rust. No coffee maker in unit. No room safe available. Floors were swept but clearly had not been washed. Entrance to unit unsightly. The resort next door (The Club) would not allow us to purchase meal passes to eat there. I had called The Club before I went to confirm that we would be able to purchase meal passes there as guests of the Divi Heritage have always been able to. They said yes and confirmed the prices. However when we were there they abruptly told us...."NO PASSES" ... Apparently all the time share owner's contracts are up this year so I suspect that something is up...minimal upkeep just to satisfy the owners who are still coming and then who knows. Stay away for now!!!!!!

Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Sparkykittycat

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
McKinney, Texas
Reviewed 25 October 2012

My family and I stayed at Divi Heritage Resort in Barbados for five days in October of this year (2012). We made the reservations via their website which looked like a great place to stay. We had lived in Barbados when I was a child, and my parents knew that St. James Parish was known for great beaches and beautiful hotels, so we thought we had hit the jackpot getting this resort for such a great price. Boy were we WRONG.

We were arriving in Barbados late at night, so we asked the manager to arrange for transportation pick us up at airport which they assured us they would. We arrived - no transportation. We also asked - since we could not use their website to order groceries for our room because the website didn't work - if they would have breakfast items in our room since again, we would arrive late. As before, they assured us they would - but upon arrival no food items there. We were greeted at reception by their security guard instead of someone at their front desk as most hotels do even if you arrive late. My husband thought the security guard was drunk - who knows. During our visit, we experienced a delapidated and deteroriating hotel - on the grounds and inside the rooms. My brother/sister-in-law had to change rooms the next day because they had no AC - and in October it was very hot/humid weather. They also had no hot water. Neither did my parents room - no hot water and the AC barely cooled the suite. The toilets didn't work and/or were falling apart, the ceilings were cracked and paint coming off, the rooms were dirty, cracked and dirty windows. We had paid up front in full for our suites in advance, which we have never had to do before. And the fact we NEVER saw the General Manager so we could talk to her about getting our money back to go somewhere else, we had to suffer at this horrible hotel. It really ruined our vacation that we had planned long in advance and were so looking forward to.

Take your chances if you want to pay low prices but remember you get what you pay for. And as far as being able to walk out your room to the beach - forget it. There was a wall separating the hotel from the beach, and there was no sandy beach to walk on. It was always high tide and lots of rocks so you really could not walk down to the beach and sit/relax. You had to go next door to other hotel - which they share some amenities - and just sit on their chaise lounges but again, no walking down to the beach. My brother and his wife did walk down to another hotel and tried to sit on their chaise lounges and relax but they were chased away because they were not guests.

Room Tip: Do not go to this hotel - it is old, dilapidated and in horrible shape.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank KJFMcKinney_Texas
DiviResorts, General Manager at Divi Heritage, responded to this review, 29 October 2012
Having reviewed your commentary on your recent stay with us, we’d like to take this opportunity to thank you for notifying us of your observations. As a resort dedicated to providing superior customer service, we continually strive to best serve our customers during their stay with us. When our efforts fail to meet expectations, it is important that the matter to be brought to our attention so that it can be corrected as soon as possible.

I'm not sure who at our resort told you that we would provide transportation as that is not one of the services we offer at the resort. We're sorry for the mini grocery store being down online as it's under construction. However, our website has clearly reported that it was down for the last few months. And it is our policy for the security guard to greet anyone upon their late night arrivals for security reasons as we like to look after our guests.

Despite not being pleased with our resort and the way it treated you, we do hope that the remainder of your stay on island was pleasant enough that you will want to visit Barbados again.

Valcia Wade

Travellers are raving about these Saint James Parish hotels

Artesia, New Mexico
Reviewed 11 June 2012

The staff was VERY helpful, if you could find them. We have stayed at their sister property on Cayman Brac before they closed from hurricane damage. They should have closed Divi Heritage at the same time...We checked in and were shown to our room on the beach. We had been at the Barbados Rally car race all day and simply wanted a shower and a nap. Absolutely ZERO hot water in the place. Thankfully the A/C unit was functioning, but probably has broken down by the time you are reading this review. After our nap, we were able to find the very helpful security lady, who actually loaned us the keys to another unit to shower in. I'm still waiting to be charged for a second room....We booked an "upgraded" room with a supposed in-room jacuzzi with an open-air arch overlooking the beach....it was completely drained empty, full of leaves, dirty, and probably hasn't held water since 1988. Checked the unit next door over the balcony....same state of in-room jacuzzi. Also checked the jacuzzi in the room we were given to shower in....same dirty and empty jacuzzi. At this point, I'm not sure why the place is still open. Until the owners raize the entire property and rebuild, I would recommend literally sleeping on the beach down the road (only pounding surf and rocks line the Divi Heritage "waterfront") before booking a room at Divi Heritage.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank brandon l
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 31 May 2012

The Divi Heritage has an odd way of offering everything that you would expect in a pleasant holiday resort (wi-fi, air conditioning, pool, nice room, courteous staff), while also being amazingly disappointing in the execution of each of these things. The entire resort has a decaying-in-the-tropical-heat quality to it, based on an array of not-quite-functional amenities. For example, the wi-fi only worked outside. The pool was actually at the resort next door. The a/c only worked in one room. The staff was hard to find. The microwave was broken, there was no hot water, the bathroom was in a sad, moldering state, while the room (and the entire facility, really) had a downcast, beaten air to it. Never mind the disintegrating thatched roof over the hot tub, because the hot tub hasn't worked in years anyway! We were fortunate in that we had read all of the worst reviews and taken them to heart before arrival. So we weren't shocked by the decrepit Miss-Haversham-like feel to the place. It looked like everything had been done up for a swell opening sometime in the late 80s and had been running down and falling apart ever since.

My sense is that if you are (a) extremely adventurous (b) get an incredibly low price on a room and (c) really lower your expectations, the Divi Heritage would be a not-too-horrible place to spend a little time. My spouse, for example, fit the bill on all three counts and felt the place was just great. Me?

I would have rather stayed home.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jonathan S
Osprey, Florida
Reviewed 9 May 2012

Not for kids. Owned a lovely room as a timeshare here before they sold off the resort next door to Almond Resorts. No pool on this property, and the beach is badly eroded. In theory you have access to the pool at Almond, which is lovely, but since that property is an all-inclusive, it is prohibitive to eat there. Full kitchens make staying there comfortable, and you can take the local buses to get around. The grocery store is about a 1 mile walk north just below Holetown, with a fruit stand, convenience store and bank about half way there. Haggling with the fruit vendors is quite a hoot! Walking south on the beach is lovely, with Sandy Lane being just remarkable. If you keep walking south you'll come to some affordable restaurants and bars, but, then again, it's a long walk back! Walking north on the beach at low tide will get you to Holetown's neat assortment of restaurants. Watch for high tide, though, because you can be stranded due to beach erosion. As others mentioned, avoid, avoid, AVOID the worn out waterfront rooms. Yes, they have jaccuzzi tubs on the waterfront, BUT they're musty, buggy, and not much fun. The second and third row units are quite nice! If you are looking for a sweet and private escape for a week, you could do worse than asking for a 2nd or 3rd floor unit and just relax there.

Room Tip: As others mentioned, avoid, avoid, AVOID the worn out waterfront rooms. Yes, they have jaccuzzi tubs...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AnAceBuyer_007
manitoba,canada
Reviewed 13 February 2012

This place seemed to get some bad reviews. The first night was a shock as we stayed beachfront.It was really run down,But the next day we spoke to the manager and we were moved to a larger much nicer room.Then the second week to another nice room.
We were taken care of and the staff was some of the best i have encountered.
They are doing a great job.
The USA owners must do some renovating of the two units.
Nothing is the same as home and these countries are limited .
People are fantastic and the sights if some tourists ever leave their rooms are great.
Rent a car and spend time out and about.
We had a great time.

Room Tip: Garden view rooms nicer.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank buchberg
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 6 February 2012

I'm in Barbados a few times a year on business and frankly, all I expect is somewhere clean to sleep with a view of the ocean - I love getting into 'island time' while I'm here. I was only here two days and if I hadn't pre-paid I would have left after one night. My complaints list is so long I won't bore the poor people of Trip Advisor with all of them, but I'll give you the highlights.

First, lets go over the positives of this resort, because there certainly were a few.

Overall the room was quite clean, although with some noticeable issues (see below). The security staff who are always on duty and seem to be the only staff on site before 8 AM and after 4 PM were extremely friendly, welcoming, and helpful. All of them went out of their way to assist me with my requests from checking in, to restaurant suggestions (that grill was exactly what I wanted!) and good directions for driving - they were a definite highlight of this 'resort'. Rooms are spacious with a bed, full couch and somewhat separate kitchen space. My room was also directly facing the ocean (many are not) which was great. Oh, and the AC works, although it could barely keep up and was pretty loud. That's where the highlights of this property stop dead.

Now lets go through some negatives of this place...

Front desk staff only seemed to be around between 8-4 so if you left early or returned late it wasn't possible to do anything such as make requests - security staff were extremely helpful in this regard but weren't able to deal with issues effectively.

Wireless internet was available but never worked for me - I tried on 3 different devices all over the property. A show stopper for someone on business.

My room didn't have a single window so it had a cave like feel - this was mostly because my jacuzzi was between my room and the ocean - of course the jacuzzi was empty so I couldn't even use it.

As others have mentioned, the front of the hotel is a bit of a thoroughfare and room security is low at best which meant I couldn't leave my door and 'windows' open at the front when I wasn't standing right there - anyone with basic intelligence could gain access to my room with a minimum amount of effort because of wide louvre slats and a terrible locking mechanism. I thought the in-room safe would alleviate my fears, but sadly the door had been totally removed so I couldn't even secure basic items. If you open the louvres, then anyone under 400 lbs can reach their arm in and unlock your door. This dooms you to 24/7 AC... boo.

There are only 7 parking spaces and three were taken up by staff. Pray there aren't many guests with cars....

The washroom, oh the washroom. There were... hairs of a certain type.... on/around the sink and tub. The shower curtain was... err... of questionable condition and the shower didn't work. I washed for two days using the sink and a pot. When I complained about this, they said someone would be over during the day to repair it. This never happened. When I reminded them when I checked out so that someone else didn't have to suffer as well I was told they weren't aware of the issue.

This place is definitely old and it shows. I'm ok with that but it was to a point where all of the sheets had many holes in them - the comforter looked like it had had a village of mice living in it at one point. Towels were like sandpaper. There was blood on the headboard which I asked them kindly to clean - this was also never done.

Half the closet doors wouldn't open because they're too warped so I just worked out of my bag for the trip - there was an ironing board but no iron. I was told that there should be one and that an iron would be brought to my room, which never happened.

When I checked out, the front desk staffer seemed fairly annoyed that I had interrupted her reading - I said I was checking out, she asked me for the key and said ok and went right back to her book. I sort of awkwardly stared at her but she never looked up again so I just left.

Overall, I had low expectations going in based on the other reviews but I didn't expect they would have to be set even lower. I obviously had a remarkably terrible experience, but if you're coming here for your hard earned vacation, why risk it? Do yourself a favour a book at a different hotel for the same price.

Room Tip: Don't even consider booking a room here. Run far, far away.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
#29 of 51 in Christ Church Parish
No photo provided
Homar Villas
#13 of 25 in Saint James Parish

Been to Divi Heritage? Share your experiences!