“Wonderful”

Coral Lane Beach Apartments
Texas, USA
“Wonderful”
Reviewed 10 July 2012

My husband and I recently stayed in the Studio Apartment at Coral Lane Beach Apartments in Barbados (Thirteen Nights). This was my husband's first visit to my birthplace and I wanted him to have the beach at his doorstep. Coral Lane sits right across the road from Paynes Bay Beach. My husband was able to enjoy many morning & evening swims. The studio apartment was exactly want we wanted with a view of the ocean and a balcony to sit and relax after a day in the sun. We enjoyed the easy access to public transportation. It was also nice to have a local fish market across the street from the Apartments. We were able to purchase freshly caught fish and prepared it in our kitchenette. We also rented a car which was delivered to the Apartments. Coral Lane Apartment location is ideal to reach many places on the island. Barbados is a beautiful Island with it's wonderful array of flowers, picturesque beaches and the friendly hellos from the islanders. But what spoke to me more on my visit home was the kindness of Dawn and Jeoffrey. Dawn and Jeoffrey you blessed my husband and I. Words cannot expressed our gratitude . Thank you so much. You made our visit unbelievable and you have made a lasting impression on our hearts. God bless you both. Carl and Yvette

Room Tip: Our room on the 2nd floor gave us a great view of the ocean and the sunsets.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Chaguanas, Trinidad
Reviewed 10 June 2012

This was my first visit to the island. Although it was a business trip, I used it is a vacation as well "don't tell my boss".. I stayed for 8days in room #2A. What can I say? The view from this room was breathtaking. The room was well equipped with everything I needed microwave,toaster oven,electric stove, AC, a small sink. The bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was a little small but after the first day that wasn't an issue at all.
In the mornings I used to whipped up some sandwiches and just relax on the balcony watching the local go about their routine before I went to work. The evening sunset and the beach which was located nearby was very beautiful.
The apartment is close to the gas station and grocery store so no need to worry about that. To put words to my experience here is doing this place an unjust. I can't stress on how clean my room was, on how friendly the owners Geoffrey and Dawn was to me.
The cell phone which they gave to me upon arrival wasn't working, I contacted them and they immediately gave me a new one with credit on it. The small tap which was located down stairs was broken and Geoffrey fixed it the next day. I used it to wash my feet after I came back form the beach.
I would definitely stay here on all my visits to Barbados in the future. Weather it be business or pleasure.
Remember it isn't any expensive hotel or resort and the other reviewers sums up the whole experience very well. You have to experience this place to believe it. I am from Trinidad so the roosters didn't pose any problems for me as I am accustomed to it. It made me feel at home away from home.
The only wish I have right now is to still be at Coral Lane Apartment writing this review.

Rajesh Byron

Room Tip: The room I stayed in #2A. The view from this room of the beach is breathtaking both on mornings and...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank RajeshRB
connecticut
Reviewed 11 March 2012

I spent 6 nights at Coral Lane Apartments and had a wonderful time. My ocean view studio (# 2A) was clean and well-equipped. The view from my room was truly breathtaking and the little balcony was very nice to sit on in the morning or at sunset. I opted for the AC as the sun heated up the room quite a bit, but then again, I had the gorgeous view with beautiful sunsets! The neighborhood "noise" was not an issue for me. Yes, you can hear the road noise during the day, but at night the AC drowned out whatever noise there may have been. The rooster wake up call also didn't bother me. I wanted to have a "local" experience and enjoyed not being in a touristy hotel.
Owner Geoffrey and housekeeper Natasha were there to greet me and were very helpful in answering all my questions. Geoffrey also supplied me with a toaster oven and would have had a coffee maker had I needed it. Only "wish" would maybe be a reading light close to the bed as the overhead lights are a little "stark". Not a big deal for a short stay tough...The apartment building sits across from one of the most beautiful beaches on the West Cost of Barbados. I swam in the ocean right down the hill every day and the little beach is perfect for sun bathing as well. Many guest from the more expensive hotels along the beach come here to swim. I walked all the way to fancy Sandy Lane Hotel every day which took about an hour roundtrip. As mentioned, local transportation to anywhere on the island is available right outside the door. There is a grocery store in Holetown which had everything I needed for my stay. This a wonderful place to stay if you are looking for a more authentic Barbadian experience. This was my fifth time in Barbados and I enjoy the friendliness of Barbadians and ease with which I can move a round on the island as a solo traveler. This place is a great find! I look forward to coming back!!

Room Tip: Definitely an ocean view room for short stays.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank eastcosttraveler
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2011

Coral Lane Beach Apartments
A great way to experience Barbados if you are on a budget. The rooms are clean, basic yes, but it had all we needed. Definitely get a sea view room!!! I cannot stress that enough, the sea view rooms have small balconies (table & two chairs), with a fabulous view, being at the back wouldn't have been the same at all. We had a great stay and would recommend the apartments - but be clear about what you want from your holiday first. This is not a 5-star hotel, there is no pool, but the caribbean sea is right across the road, literally a stone's throw! Jeoffrey and Dawn are really helpful and will do their level best to make your stay a good one. For example there was a coffee maker in our room, but we prefer tea, so Dawn gave us a kettle. The beds looked as though they would be hard (and as I suffer with a bad back it worried me) but it turned out to be one of the most comfortable beds I'd ever slept on and I didn't have back trouble all holiday! There is a yard next door, which is just below the balconies with chickens and roosters (a natural alarm clock!), plus from the balcony we enjoyed seeing the bats at dusk, and feeding a few of the local birds who visited daily. We also saw the occasional monkey, as they come to get the mangoes off the tree in the Coral Lane car park.
There are a couple of convenience stores not far, and you can get essentials from the 24-hour garage just up the road. There are also a few friendly, relaxed bars within a couple of minutes walk.
Wi-fi connection was good the whole time. Definitely pay the extra for Air-Con, it's worth it as it can get very hot at night.

Barbados is a great island, friendly people, plus they drive on the left (great for us brits) and you can safely drink the water from the tap. The money we saved by staying at Coral Lane instead of a resort saved us enough to hire a jeep for most of the holiday - this is a great way to see the island. If you don't want to drive, the buses are only $2 Barbados dollars a ride ($1 US dollar, or about 65p sterling), regardless of how far you go. The buses are frequent and can be a great experience too!
A few highlights that we'd recommend are Harrisons Cave, Stiletto catamaran cruise (with snorkelling with turtles), Atlantis submarine, Concorde experience by the airport. Great beaches are too numerous to mention, but if you want spectacular go over to Bathsheba and the East Coast, if you want tranquil swimming, West is best (Worthing beach and Miami beach were our favourites).
Must give a mention to the Scarlet restaurant just a minutes walk from Coral Lane, the food and place are fantastic! (not cheap, but worth splashing out at least once). The Roundhouse at Bathsheba is great too, (turn up early to get a table overlooking the sea and watch the surfers!). Oistins is great for cheap fish meals, plus entertainment on a Friday.

All in all Coral Lane was a great base for us, it's brilliant value, and Barbados is a great place to be!

6 Thank MandyMooBag
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 23 March 2011

We had a wonderful Barbados vacation in February and were very pleased with our choice of accommodations. After reading several of the reviews from other travellers before choosing Coral Lane, I noticed most were favourable. The West Coast of Barbados is the Platinum Coast and the prices of the hotels/condos/apts. are way over the top. That is why we decided on Coral Lane because it fit our budget. We were not disappointed. It is clean, comfortable and right across the street from the wonderful strip of West Coast beaches. We had an oceanview studio on the top floor. These studios have a small balcony, which is a new addition, rather than the window seat as shown on the web site. This proved to be a wonderful addition. We loved sitting out in the early morning and evening and watch the goings on of local folk going about their business and children heading to school. We could hear the ocean and, of course, see the magnificent sunsets. The review written on Feb. 14/11 by "ruppbenn from New York" is 100 percent accurate and detailed. The only difference is we had the small balcony which is definitely a bonus. The reviews from people who minded the small bathroom, the steel drums, the roosters etc. are from people who should not have been looking to stay at a place and expect more than is advertised. We loved the steel drums and roosters. They added to the appeal of this beautiful island paradise. The small bathroom, well....it did not prove to be a problem.

3 Thank peascarrots
New Providence Island
Reviewed 20 March 2011

(WARNING: Do not click "preview" submission, unless you want to risk losing your review. I had to rewrite this. )

This review was a long time coming!
I had/have been really busy, so when i was invited to my friend's wedding, I was excited at the prospect of a pseudo-vacation, and my first trip to Barbados.

As I was working within a preset budget, I was floored when I saw the prices for some of Barbados' ritzier hotels. I just wanted someplace clean, safe and reasonably priced. My friend suggested that I look at guest houses on the Barbados travel website (barbados.org), and that is how I found Coral Lane Beach Apartments.

The reviews on TripAdvisor were overwhelmingly positive, and after viewing the hotel's website, I started liaising online with the owners (Dawn and Jeffrey Thompson). They were eager to answer my questions, and provide booking information; which made me feel even more confident that I had made the right choice. Also, at US$85 per night for a standard room with ocean view and A/c (a must have for anyone living south of Canada), I considered it a steal!

On arrival to Coral Lane, Dawn came out to meet me. They were finishing some renovations, and told me to give them a few hours, and I would be in for a surprise when I got back. Sure enough, I discovered that they had constructed private balconies for each of the rooms, so instead of staring out the window, I could now sit outside and enjoy the view. I was ecstatic - it was indeed welcome!

The room itself was what i expected; clean and cozy with the basics of home (electric range, fridge, microwave and an iron - no ironing board though, and a flat screen cable TV). Did I mention the FREE prepaid local cell phone loaned to me during my stay?! A great money-saver and you could get minutes (phone card) from most shops including any gas station.
There was also a hand-held jet shower head that I was not used to, but it quickly became a really good friend of mine.
(I will note though, that the room i stayed in is suitable sized for a couple or solo traveler only. If you have kids, I recommend you opt for one of the larger suites.)

My first morning in Barbados I awoke to... virtual silence. Ahhhhh...
The view was great! To the left was a small church facing the ocean. Below me was a rustic house undergoing its own renovations, and... chickens!!! It reminded me of my early childhood, and gave the place an even more earthy, laid-back feel. Ahead were lush trees, and then the pale blue ocean sparkling in the morning sunlight as sloops and ferries bobbed up and down. My cup of cocoa never tasted so good.
If you plan to laze about for a few days, you are guaranteed to appreciate the serenity.
(Fortunately or unfortunately, my itinerary was packed.)

Dawn (the more vocal one) and Jeffrey (the "strong silent type") were outstanding hosts!
From troubleshooting the TV remote, to adjusting light bulbs, to complimentary housekeeping, they were definitely service-oriented people who catered to their guests and cared about the impression they and their hotel left on us tourists.

So, if you are looking for reasonably priced, quiet accommodations with the basic necessities of home, then Coral lane is the place for you!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank CBean_Life
Parry Sound, Canada
Reviewed 11 March 2011

This is not a good option, even though it is inexpensive. On the plus side, the location is good, with a lovely, very quiet sand beach directly across the highway. And the place is clean -- although the linens are a bit sketchy (we had a used band-aid stuck to the bedspread on our bed!) But when we arrived, the following did not work in our unit: the phone, the coffee machine, the internet connection (impossibly slow -- server times out before it connects), the hot water in the kitchen, the fridge freezer, and sundry other little things. The bathroom is ridiculously small -- a man has to stand in the shower to pee in teh toilet (seriously!) and when you sit, your feet are in the shower again. The owners were not especially gracious or helpful, and because their mother stays on the ground floor, (where we stayed) the outside door is kept locked all the time. There is no way to get out without a key -- violating every safety standard in the world. Finally, there is a steel drum band that practiced regularly in the church hall right under our balcony; if you like steel drums you'll enjoy it -- but don't say I didn't warn you.

3 Thank Ken181742