“Excellent Value for Money”

Coral Lane Beach Apartments
Ottawa, Canada
“Excellent Value for Money”
Reviewed 22 January 2013

We spent 14 thoroughly enjoyable days at the Coral Lane Apartments during January 2013. The beach view studio apartments are just the other side of the main road and only about 200 yards from the sea. It is within easy walking distance of other hotels and restaurants in the area. It was wonderful to watch the sunsets and have the benefit of a kitchenette at a fraction of the prices of the nearby beach hotels.
Lounge chairs and umbrellas are available to rent nearby, from fascinating characters on the beach.
The owners of Coral Lane, Dawn and Jeoffrey Thompson are a delight. They were very friendly and quite helpful throughout our stay.
We found the studio room basic but clean and comfortable, which was exactly what we wanted. Because the building is on the opposite side of the beach road, there are residential neighbors, with a couple of roosters and a few goats, which frankly adds some character to the place.
We intend to come back to this excellent ‘value for money’ apartment.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andrew H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
London
Reviewed 11 December 2012

My husband and I stayed at Coral Lane Beach Apartments over a three month period and thoroughly enjoyed our experience there.

The apartments are located on the expensive West Coast of Barbados. They are across the street from a beautiful beach and afford easy access to public buses.

Our apartment was a little gem. Simply and tastefully decorated and very comfortable. Other reviewers have said the bathrooms were too small, well ours was small but certainly no smaller than comparable accommodations around the world and definitely not so small that my 6'3" husband couldn't use it comfortably.

Finally, the owners Jeff and Dawn are the loveliest people you could ever meet. Warm, welcoming, and kind. They were always available by phone whenever we needed something. What they offer is not luxury accommodation, but it's ideal for people who want a comfortable, affordable place near the beach for a fraction of the price of nearby hotels.

We are really looking forward to returning to Barbados and will definitely be staying at Coral Lane when we do.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Orlando, Florida, United States
Reviewed 23 September 2012

The "hotel"... if you want to call it that, is a waste of money. IT IS NOT WORTH THE $75/ A NIGHT! I live in the tourist capital and you can find a way better hotel for less. As soon as I step foot in my room I was terribly disappointed. I stayed downstairs. To begin with, as soon as you walked in there was a horrible smell that traveled down the hall way. The horrible smell was there for the entire week that I stayed there. Second, I was told when I arrived that there was an extra $6 a night for AC. (Never heard of such thing). The bathrooms were smaller than a coat closet. The toilets required multiple flushes to go down. WORST PART OF THE HOTEL: THE BEDS.The pillows were flatter than a pancake and there were only two on the bed. The pillows had THE MOST AWFUL SMELL. Those pillows were probably there for years. Not to mention the linen. Every hotel Ive stayed in provided WHITE linen. Theres were mismatched, dark colored, and, dingy. TRUELY THE WORST HOTEL VISIT OF MY LIFE!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Dolly G
Texas, USA
Reviewed 10 July 2012

My husband and I recently stayed in the Studio Apartment at Coral Lane Beach Apartments in Barbados (Thirteen Nights). This was my husband's first visit to my birthplace and I wanted him to have the beach at his doorstep. Coral Lane sits right across the road from Paynes Bay Beach. My husband was able to enjoy many morning & evening swims. The studio apartment was exactly want we wanted with a view of the ocean and a balcony to sit and relax after a day in the sun. We enjoyed the easy access to public transportation. It was also nice to have a local fish market across the street from the Apartments. We were able to purchase freshly caught fish and prepared it in our kitchenette. We also rented a car which was delivered to the Apartments. Coral Lane Apartment location is ideal to reach many places on the island. Barbados is a beautiful Island with it's wonderful array of flowers, picturesque beaches and the friendly hellos from the islanders. But what spoke to me more on my visit home was the kindness of Dawn and Jeoffrey. Dawn and Jeoffrey you blessed my husband and I. Words cannot expressed our gratitude . Thank you so much. You made our visit unbelievable and you have made a lasting impression on our hearts. God bless you both. Carl and Yvette

Room Tip: Our room on the 2nd floor gave us a great view of the ocean and the sunsets.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Chaguanas, Trinidad
Reviewed 10 June 2012

This was my first visit to the island. Although it was a business trip, I used it is a vacation as well "don't tell my boss".. I stayed for 8days in room #2A. What can I say? The view from this room was breathtaking. The room was well equipped with everything I needed microwave,toaster oven,electric stove, AC, a small sink. The bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was a little small but after the first day that wasn't an issue at all.
In the mornings I used to whipped up some sandwiches and just relax on the balcony watching the local go about their routine before I went to work. The evening sunset and the beach which was located nearby was very beautiful.
The apartment is close to the gas station and grocery store so no need to worry about that. To put words to my experience here is doing this place an unjust. I can't stress on how clean my room was, on how friendly the owners Geoffrey and Dawn was to me.
The cell phone which they gave to me upon arrival wasn't working, I contacted them and they immediately gave me a new one with credit on it. The small tap which was located down stairs was broken and Geoffrey fixed it the next day. I used it to wash my feet after I came back form the beach.
I would definitely stay here on all my visits to Barbados in the future. Weather it be business or pleasure.
Remember it isn't any expensive hotel or resort and the other reviewers sums up the whole experience very well. You have to experience this place to believe it. I am from Trinidad so the roosters didn't pose any problems for me as I am accustomed to it. It made me feel at home away from home.
The only wish I have right now is to still be at Coral Lane Apartment writing this review.

Rajesh Byron

Room Tip: The room I stayed in #2A. The view from this room of the beach is breathtaking both on mornings and...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank RajeshRB
connecticut
Reviewed 11 March 2012

I spent 6 nights at Coral Lane Apartments and had a wonderful time. My ocean view studio (# 2A) was clean and well-equipped. The view from my room was truly breathtaking and the little balcony was very nice to sit on in the morning or at sunset. I opted for the AC as the sun heated up the room quite a bit, but then again, I had the gorgeous view with beautiful sunsets! The neighborhood "noise" was not an issue for me. Yes, you can hear the road noise during the day, but at night the AC drowned out whatever noise there may have been. The rooster wake up call also didn't bother me. I wanted to have a "local" experience and enjoyed not being in a touristy hotel.
Owner Geoffrey and housekeeper Natasha were there to greet me and were very helpful in answering all my questions. Geoffrey also supplied me with a toaster oven and would have had a coffee maker had I needed it. Only "wish" would maybe be a reading light close to the bed as the overhead lights are a little "stark". Not a big deal for a short stay tough...The apartment building sits across from one of the most beautiful beaches on the West Cost of Barbados. I swam in the ocean right down the hill every day and the little beach is perfect for sun bathing as well. Many guest from the more expensive hotels along the beach come here to swim. I walked all the way to fancy Sandy Lane Hotel every day which took about an hour roundtrip. As mentioned, local transportation to anywhere on the island is available right outside the door. There is a grocery store in Holetown which had everything I needed for my stay. This a wonderful place to stay if you are looking for a more authentic Barbadian experience. This was my fifth time in Barbados and I enjoy the friendliness of Barbadians and ease with which I can move a round on the island as a solo traveler. This place is a great find! I look forward to coming back!!

Room Tip: Definitely an ocean view room for short stays.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank eastcosttraveler
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2011

Coral Lane Beach Apartments
A great way to experience Barbados if you are on a budget. The rooms are clean, basic yes, but it had all we needed. Definitely get a sea view room!!! I cannot stress that enough, the sea view rooms have small balconies (table & two chairs), with a fabulous view, being at the back wouldn't have been the same at all. We had a great stay and would recommend the apartments - but be clear about what you want from your holiday first. This is not a 5-star hotel, there is no pool, but the caribbean sea is right across the road, literally a stone's throw! Jeoffrey and Dawn are really helpful and will do their level best to make your stay a good one. For example there was a coffee maker in our room, but we prefer tea, so Dawn gave us a kettle. The beds looked as though they would be hard (and as I suffer with a bad back it worried me) but it turned out to be one of the most comfortable beds I'd ever slept on and I didn't have back trouble all holiday! There is a yard next door, which is just below the balconies with chickens and roosters (a natural alarm clock!), plus from the balcony we enjoyed seeing the bats at dusk, and feeding a few of the local birds who visited daily. We also saw the occasional monkey, as they come to get the mangoes off the tree in the Coral Lane car park.
There are a couple of convenience stores not far, and you can get essentials from the 24-hour garage just up the road. There are also a few friendly, relaxed bars within a couple of minutes walk.
Wi-fi connection was good the whole time. Definitely pay the extra for Air-Con, it's worth it as it can get very hot at night.

Barbados is a great island, friendly people, plus they drive on the left (great for us brits) and you can safely drink the water from the tap. The money we saved by staying at Coral Lane instead of a resort saved us enough to hire a jeep for most of the holiday - this is a great way to see the island. If you don't want to drive, the buses are only $2 Barbados dollars a ride ($1 US dollar, or about 65p sterling), regardless of how far you go. The buses are frequent and can be a great experience too!
A few highlights that we'd recommend are Harrisons Cave, Stiletto catamaran cruise (with snorkelling with turtles), Atlantis submarine, Concorde experience by the airport. Great beaches are too numerous to mention, but if you want spectacular go over to Bathsheba and the East Coast, if you want tranquil swimming, West is best (Worthing beach and Miami beach were our favourites).
Must give a mention to the Scarlet restaurant just a minutes walk from Coral Lane, the food and place are fantastic! (not cheap, but worth splashing out at least once). The Roundhouse at Bathsheba is great too, (turn up early to get a table overlooking the sea and watch the surfers!). Oistins is great for cheap fish meals, plus entertainment on a Friday.

All in all Coral Lane was a great base for us, it's brilliant value, and Barbados is a great place to be!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple