“The Club Barbados is Nice”

The Club, Barbados Resort & Spa
Ranked #11 of 26 Hotels in Saint James Parish
Reviewed 21 May 2014

A friend and I spent four nights here after spending three nights at another Elite Island Resorts property in Antigua (St. James's Club) and we found the staff here to be a bit more animated and friendly than at St. James's. Although the staff in Barbados was friendlier the service was still perfunctory. Questions about menu items were frequently met with a blank stare and an "I don't know" response. I had to ask the servers if they would go find out because it was obvious they were not going to go to the kitchen on their own. On our first day I ordered a hamburger at the grill on the beach. When I asked if they could put a piece of bacon on it -- which was pre-cooked and stacked on a dish next to the lettuce-- the reply was a firm "no, that's for the wraps." When I started to put mayo and lettuce on my bun the same cook stated "that's for the wraps."

We had a one-bedroom suite that overlooked the pool that was spacious and comfortable. The bathroom did not have any ventilation and the lighting was not great. The towels were a little thin and I had to ask housekeeping for a new one on the first day because the first one I picked up had a hole in it the size of a fist. The housekeeper was embarrassed when I showed it to her. They leave pool towels in the room for you but you only get one and they don't change it out while you are there. Maybe I was supposed to leave it on the bathroom floor with the bath towels in order to get a fresh one. Having an in-room safe and free WiFi came in handy. Sometimes we had to go to the lobby or restaurant to pick-up the signal. This was a small thing for us because we were trying to disconnect but if you need Internet access be aware you may not always get a signal in your room.

The food is ok. It is mainly buffet at lunch and some of the items seemed heavy for a tropical climate (Chicken a La King and other similar dishes). A saving grace at breakfast was the daily omelette bar and the station that made pancakes and french toast to order. There was always a tomato salad offered at lunch, and by "salad" I mean chunks of fresh tomato in a bowl without any dressing. They did have a good pasta salad and the scalloped potatoes were also very good. They change the hot entrees daily. Dinner was served and in addition to the regular menu they offered items that could be purchased for an additional cost. One night we sprang for the $35 (U.S.) surf and turf special. The meat was good but I think the lobster was a large shrimp (Langastino?) given its small size. Still, I don't regret ordering it. The upstairs restaurant, Enid's, is also good. It's a smaller dining room with a totally different menu and we enjoyed eating there. We decided we would laugh at having to ask the waiter to kill the cockroach-looking insect that was running around the table next to ours. It is a tropical island so we accepted the fact that bugs exist where there's a lot of vegetation.

The beach at this resort is small. I would say it is about 40 feet deep at the widest point and then tapers off. There are plenty of beach chairs but folks do grab them early and keep them all day. Because the widest part of the beach is right outside of the dining room, be prepared to look at sunbathers while eating breakfast. That could be good, but odds are it will not be.

To access the water there is one short flight of steps. It's a bit rocky but not too difficult to find some sandy areas where you can stand. They do offer paddle boarding, kayaks and snorkeling and the water is clear and warm so you should take advantage of it. There is also a nice walkway to the north of the resort that is open to the public and goes at least a half a mile or more north of the resort. There are some gaps in the walkway and a few rocky areas that are easily maneuverable even in bare feet and the walk is worth it. It's a very beautiful area.

Finally, if you tire of the resort, Lime Grove, a new shopping complex with high end shops (Louis Vitton, Gucci, etc) is about a half-mile up the road. If you walk to Lime Grove you can also stop in the Chattel House village. Since one day of our stay was overcast, we took a taxi into Bridgetown ($20 U.S. each way and a 20 minute ride). Per the visitors map, Broad street looked like a shopping street but aside from one block of duty free shops the remainder of the stores appeared geared to locals: markets, hardware, etc. The Parliament Museum is nearby, as is the statue of General (?) Nelson. Being a bit parched we asked directions to "Lobster Alive" a restaurant that everyone was talking about. It was about a five minute walk from Broad St. Since it was 3 p.m. the restaurant was almost empty. This is mainly a dinner place so we weren't surprised it was empty. We sat on the patio and ordered their Rum Punch. It certainly packed one. It was so good we ordered a second one before taking a walk on Carlisle Beach. This is a gorgeous spot to enjoy a drink. At night the restaurant has a jazz trio so I imagine it could be a lot of fun. We didn't have any food but can highly recommend the punch.

The resort appears to attract a lot of long term (1 week to 1 month) visitors from the U,K. and that contributes to a friendly community feeling in the restaurant bar area in the evenings. The resort also had some good entertainers on Friday and Saturday night.

The resort is about a 40 minute and $40 (U.S.) taxi ride from the airport. My friend had to leave for the airport at 5:30 a.m. and the the taxi rate was $50 at that early hour.

All in all, the resort is nice. I had purchased the package in a silent auction so I paid one-half of the daily rate (regularly $250/person/day, we paid $125/person/day). At the rate we paid I feel it was a good value.

Room Tip: You pay extra for a one bedroom suite. The bathrooms are not ventilated (no window and a small exha...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank OnlyJoe
Write a ReviewReviews (1,899)

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Super friendly and customer caring staff! Awesome a la carte and great drinks (I warmly recommend their spicy Bloody Mary). The pool area is perfect and it's a very calm hotel (perhaps due to their 16+ age minimum requirement). Try it, I guarantee you'll like it and that you'll have a fantastic and relaxing holiday!!! The west coast is also a lot nicer than the south coast...

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Fretel
Reviewed 19 May 2014

A perfect choice for our second chill out week following a week's cruise. We had a seaview room - definately worth paying for - it was just beautiful. The restaurant fabulous, we loved the table service for evening meals. Book for Enids too as it's too good to miss. Loved the beach bar. Didn't really mind not having a sunbed on the narrow beach - they were so close on the manmade terrace and adjacent to the beach bar that we actually preferred it! We also really enjoyed the live entertainment each night and a visit to the piano bar to enjoy the talents of Dale should be compulsory! The staff at The Club Barbados were all very friendly and helpful. This was our honeymoon and - as we have both also passed 50- we found the adult only rule very welcome. It lead to calm restful days and fun banter around the bars with other couples. We met friends we have kept in touch with. Can't wait to return one day!

Room Tip: Pay for a beach view - but only if you can sleep with the sound of the sea. We loved it.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
5  Thank debnpaul2014
Reviewed 16 May 2014

This is quite simply the best resort we have been to. The Staff, accommodation and food were excellent. That really is all I need to say. I need to continue for 200 characters, so if you want a great holiday, go to the Club Barbados resort & spa. You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: We had a superior garden view, it was great.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Kathray
Reviewed 15 May 2014

This was mine and my wife's first spring break trip, our first trip to the Caribbean and our first all-inclusive experience. Like many of the travelers, we too, had looked at the reviews and were a bit apprehensive before our arrival. Once we arrived we could not have been more pleased. I had called to see about the possibility of a first floor room as my wife had injured her knee on a field trip with her 5th grade class just two weeks before our trip, but was told that the resort could not guarantee our request, but would see what could be done, as the bookings were set. (She is scheduled for knee replacement surgery in June.) We were given a room not 10 steps from the pool on the ground floor with a nice shaded patio for reading, relaxing, and enjoying our neighbors. The ocean patio-an area only 25 steps from our room to the west was delightful, this is a sunny/shaded area for sunbathing, reading, watching watercraft or just listening to the waves hit the rocks. 25 steps from our room to the north-northwest was the restaurant/bar/lounge. It was an almost a perfect set up for us. We learned about the yellow buses($1 American per ride) that were great fun to travel in as we able to enjoy a bit of the local flavor and Rhianna music as we visiited Bridgetown and Holetown on different days. We also took a trip by taxi to St. Nicholas Abbey one day to see an original sugar cane plantation and enjoy their rum, which is now produced on site. Our taxi driver gave us an unexpected thrill when he took us to an overlook of the Atlantic and we enjoyed a spectacular view of the east coast of Barbados. The reviews, we read, said the resort is a bit dated, but we found it quite pleasing. The grounds crew was out working everyday to tidy things and were also painting, cutting, polishing, etc. We thought the meals were great. I am half Canadian, so the baked beans on the breakfast buffet brought back memories of many a big breakfast from my youth. The lunch buffets were excellent, as well with a great variety through the week. We ate at both restaurants for dinner and were not disappointed in either. Service was friendly, attentive, and efficient.The food was good, hearty and plentiful. Drinks flowed freely throughout the day and night and we were hosted by great entertainment each evening. Everything was not 100 % rosy, though. One drawback was that we had to pay for our arrival day even though we did not arrive until midnight. Yes, we should have paid for the room even with late arrival, but we also had to pay the all inclusive fees for the day for two of us and only received a sandwich and fruit in our room upon arrival. Yes, the piano bar was still open but after traveling more than 18 hours, the bed was far more inviting. Another concern was the dinner upgrade that were made available when we had "menu" dinners. We could purchase an upgrade to steak or lobster for $25 American or the surf and turf for $50. I had an uneasy feeling that I was already paying for a dinner in my all-inclusive fees and now was asked to pay more for a luxury dinner when I thought I was staying at a luxury resort. These prices were the same as other local restaurants were charging for the same meals in the area. We saw several during our excursions, and they did not have my all-inclusive fees. Those items aside, our room was wonderful, the staff was wonderful, the other guests were friendly, the food and drink was great. I even met a young lady from England who was, in my mind"s eye, the exact image of Emma Barrington-Clifton from Jeffrey Archer's The Clifton Chronicles, which I was reading at the time. (Think of the American actress-Amy Adams in a most sophisticated role). Although, this was a first for us in many ways, it will not be the last to Club Barbados as we can not wait to get back there for the first week of April in 2015, when we can do all the same things we did this year plus a trip to Ostins Fish Fry and maybe a little dancing at St Lawrence Gap, new knee and all.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank jackstarling
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I and 3 friends (all single ladies) have just returned from this resort. Like many others we had seen some negative comments on trip adviser... 'We should not have worried'... We had the most wonderful holiday we've had for a while... The location is fantastic and although not on a long sandy beach we all loved the waves crashing against the rocks... plus eating out on the small sandy area on most nights was great. We asked to eat outside on our last evening, but were told it was sadly full, and then on arrival being ushered outside (they wanted to surprise us) which was so nice. The staff are so friendly, you only had to ask!! both the restaurant and bar staff could not be faltered, the food was really good, although we preferred the lunch to dinner as we all loved the wonderful fish and salads. The hairdryer and the air con broke down and both were mended with the hour... very impressed.,
We travelled all over the island on the Reggae buses... a real laugh... and met some great people on our travels..2 BB dollars for a trip... We also went to the fish/reggae nights and loved every minute... plus Karaoke in Holetown was an experience!! The west coast is amazing, although quiet... which we loved.. The only place open was the run/beer bar so we sat down only to be approached by a man and his wheelbarrow who cut up the coconuts and served us coconut milk, then slices of coconut and then sugar cane to try... we ended up with run in the coconut milk!!
We really enjoyed some of the evening entertainment and especially the Piano bar... open till the early hours.....
So a BIG thank you to the Club Barbados we all had a GREAT time.
Sue Coggins - Chiswick London

Room Tip: We loved being on the top floor over looking the pool which had a balcony...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Sue C
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Our room was decent. The food was good, we stayed 7 days and if we had stayed longer it would have been tiresome. Jade is the man! Ask for double shots in your drinks at the bar! You can walk to town by the beach. The walk to Sandy Lane was a lot of effort, esp after a few drinks. Enid's was nice. We went twice and had everything we wanted to try. Don't let the bad reviews scare you away.

• Stayed: April 2014
The Crane Resort
The Crane Resort
#1 of 4 in Saint Philip Parish
Mango Bay All Inclusive

Been to The Club, Barbados Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!