“WOW! I haven't even stayed there yet!”

The Club, Barbados Resort and Spa
Ranked #10 of 26 Hotels in Saint James Parish
Madrid, Spain
“WOW! I haven't even stayed there yet!”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I had a problem with my booking at The Club. My fault 100%. I thought I had booked 6 nights but now, 4 weeks after booking, while checking my confirmation I see I'd booked for just 5!!! This meant I had checked us out 1 whole day before our flights were booked home to the UK. I promptly contacted the booking office for The Club and explained. Within minutes they were back at me saying that yes I had made a mistake BUT no problem they would book me the extra last night and not to worry. An extremely helpful lady called 'Hayley' took me through all of this and I can say that within a short time I was totally relaxed and looking forward more than never to getting to Barbados than I was already! Thank you Hayley and The Club. Ian. See you Friday.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank BeenAroundTheWord1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (796)
Longwood, Florida
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Great staff, nice evening entertainment, excellent food! But if you want to swim, jump in the pools.
The piano bar was excellent. Ask for the Rum Doctor to give overview of all the rums. Lots of fun! Chefs were great, took cooking class.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank slykab
Essex uk
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We got married at The Club Barbados resort and spa on 20th June 2014. The hotel is small and very friendly, the staff are very attentive and can't do enough for you. The food is 1st class with plenty of choice, including vegetarian dishes. Buffet style for breakfast and lunch, in the evening you will have a lovely menu to choose from and be waited on by the lovely staff! Beach bbq was great, and its lovely to watch the turtles swimming around and be so close. Our three children (all in there 20`s) made the most of the local nightlife and felt very safe doing so! Beach party's etc, Harbour lights was one they strongly recommend. The hotel has entertainment every evening, singers, djs etc.
Paulette our wedding coordinator was a star! She organized every last detail so we were able to walk along the beach on our wedding morning! The photos and DVD were amazing which we received before we went home - bonus! Our Wedding was magical and we would recommend this hotel to anyone thinking of going for a holiday or to get married.
All in all a great time, nice and chilled out and we will definitely be going back!

Room Tip: Some rooms need updating which I thick is happening at the moment. All clean and tidy, no complaints...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

4 Thank Tracey F
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Nightmare in paradise
My wife and I arrived at this hotel on entering to check in we were asked for access our credit card account to take $300 as we had paid in full I refused to allow that . the girl called for the manager a rather large man stood over us and told us if you don’t give us your credit card you can’t stay here we told him that you are holding us to ransom he said he was not doing that if we didn’t want to give it to them we could leave he then shrugged and wandered off.
We reluctantly allowed it to be taken there was no rep there so we could not do anything we were taken to a room in one of the blocks via a rubble strewn car park at the rear of the hotel up some exterior very rickety stairs with a loose hand rail and rotting treads.
Once in the room we found stained / marked walls a battered dirty and rusty mini fridge on the floor at about 8pm we went to get something to eat to be told your time is booked for 730 pm I asked what are you talking about and was told you have to book a time for you dinner when you come for breakfast
Never come across this ever at any other all-inclusive place dining room staff telling customers when they can eat.
The following morning we went to see the rep what a waste of time that was we told her what had gone on and about the room she said that all of the all-inclusive hotels everywhere now take 300 dollars off guests when I told her we have travelled all over the world for 0ver 30 years and stopped at 4 and 5 star hotels and never come across this ever and told her that she was talking rubbish she asked shall I get the manager for you to talk to we told her it was the manager who told us if we don’t give him our credit card we can’t stay here she walked away then she spoke to one of the staff and then came back and asked is there anything she can do to make our stay better I asked if she had a magic wand she said no so I asked for a complaints form she wandered off and we didn’t see her again until our second week .
We never did get the complaint form and never saw her again but we had come to the conclusion that she worked for the best interests of the hotel not the guests. We found by chatting to other guests that they felt the same about the place one couple had their passports confiscated until the end of their stay as they didn’t bring a credit card
About the food well it was not to our taste is the kindest thing to say about it on 5 nights we didn’t bother going to eat because we saw the menu my wife in the main survived off corn flakes for breakfast and salad for lunch and nothing for dinner
I survived off beans and toast and a little burned bacon at breakfast and burger and fries at lunch for dinner I managed to get fries with every meal so at least I had something it was like this for most of our stay.
The only meal that was decent was on our wedding anniversary but that was at a restaurant three miles away
The Jacuzzi was a plunge pool with a ledge to sit on no bubbles or anything unless you count the one water jet; you get to the pool and dining area over a rotting bridge over a drainage gully with no hand rails
The only saving grace was the staff in the dining room they were so nice it seemed like they were trying to make up for the substandard food and the dump of a hotel and poor management I can actually say I have stayed in 3 star hotels on Greek islands that are far better than this place .
The best advice I can give to users of this site is to avoid this place I have to also say in both my wife’s and my personal opinion this is not a 4 star hotel and never has been strange rules kept appearing like if you are on your own and you wish to dine with someone you have met there you have to tell them at breakfast or you can’t sit with them.
As for the beach there is not one there is a sort of area where lots of rocks have been dumped at some point and then topped up with some sort of grit substance there is steps that go down some 6 to 7 foot to the sea and you can swim from there or paddle in the sea but that’s it there are beaches either side of the property some 2 to 300 yds. Away.
I had a meeting on the second week of our stay with the operations manager to discuss our concerns she sat there listened and I soon came to the conclusion that speaking to her was a waste of time she asked me to send her a copy of what we were going to submit but as she did nothing for us I see no reason to do anything for her You may think this a little over the top but if asked to sum the place up in as few words as possible
Those words would be” what a dump”
We have photographs if any one wishes to see them

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
16 Thank Dave W
GuestAmbassador01, Guest Relations Manager at The Club, Barbados Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
Dear Valued Guests,

We do sincerely appreciate our guests’ feedback, even when pointing out ways in which we can improve; but we feel this review is inaccurate and unfair.

As you can see from our TripAdvisor reviews, the vast majority of our guests provide very positive comments, and we work very hard to ensure that all our guests enjoy a wonderful Caribbean holiday.

It is standard industry practice to register credit card information as a way to capture incidental charges during the course of a vacation. This is an every day occurrence among hotels throughout the world.

The Club is known for its excellent dining service, and its wide array of dining options. Whether it’s made to order omelets, fresh fruit, and tropical juices for breakfast…a relaxing seaside lunch…or a romantic dinner featuring both local and international favorites, we consistently receive very high marks for our dining and bar service including the choice of wines.

Throughout the day, there are many more snack options between meals than simply sandwiches. Our afternoon snack menu includes fresh wraps, club sandwiches with crispy fries, soups, salads and of course any beverage you could wish for—everything from coffee and tea, to your favorite ice cold beer, wine, and cocktails.

Since Elite Island Resorts took over management almost two years ago the Club has enjoyed myriad upgrades ranging from lobby, restaurant and lounge renovations, new gift shop, all new sports equipment, new sun loungers, new awnings and patios on courtyard ground floor rooms for further enjoyment of the outside environment as well as fresh paint on all exteriors and inside guest rooms. We are also in the process installing new soft furnishings and bedding in all guest rooms for a fresh bright new look.

The Club, Barbados provides a terrific all-inclusive Caribbean holiday, which hosts hundreds of very happy guests each week. We consistently earn excellent reviews among our guests for great dining, activities, and a wonderfully hospitable and gracious staff.
Bexhill-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I went to this hotel as part of the prize won with virgin holidays. The hotel is small but that added to the charm as we do not like large resorts. We were put in a seaview suit which was lovely. The room was clean and comfortable. We had a lounge area which was an open balcony. This was lovely to sit on in the evening but too hot in the daytime as you do not get a lot of circulating air from the fan. We had daily visitors on our balcony in the form of birds, tip: don't leave towels out to dry as the birds tend to peck at them or poo on them.
The pool area looked very clean and with plenty of loungers however we did not use this area we preferred the view on the "beach" area at the back. The trees at the back provided some shade which was good. The resort does not have its own beach but as the beaches are public this meant we could walk on others if we wished. The only problem with this was that some of the beach vendors would walk through frequently and if the security weren't at hand could be a bit pushy. Generally the vendors were very nice and with a no thanks from you would leave you alone.
The food was quite nice although as fully inclusive we found it a little strange that you had to pay extra for things like a lobster tail which in Barbados would be seen more available.
All the waiting staff were very good and would keep you topped up with drinks and water.
We did a trip into Bridgetown which was really easy on the bus, buses are very cheap and run every 5mins or so.
All in all a lovely weeks holiday.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Emma B
GuestAmbassador01, Guest Relations Manager at The Club, Barbados Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you very much for your very positive comments about your recents stay at The Club Barbados. We are very pleased that we could create a memorable and fun vacation for your.

The Club is known for it's very friendly and hospitable staff, great dining and relaxed atmosphere. We do hope that when considering another sun-filled Caribbean vacation that we may once again host you.
london
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

This is the first time im writing a review whilst still on location. Its my first time to the Caribbean and Barbados and let me tell you its everything and more I anticipated. The journey from the airport to the hotel was short and scenic. The bajians are just the loveliest, warmest most accommodating people iv ever met. Granted the rooms could do with a refurb but the view of the sea is breathtaking, the pool area although small is stunning, clean and so sunny in every spot. Even Nigel the pool guy is just so friendly and lovely. I would recommend all inc as the food is simply incredible. So much choice and everything taste as good as the last thing. The bar staff are adorable Cheryl and Sophia have been just amazing there is no other words. You are a stone throw away from the beach - albeit its not much of a beac bit a short walk to the left is sandy lane the most expensive hotel and beach on the island and to the right a charming glorious deserted piece of beach. We also did a day trip on the tiami catamaran cruise and swam with the turtles and snorkeled in the coral reef. Its was mind blowing how beautiful the whole experience and the day was. I literally can not recommend to you enough coming to Barbados, coming to this hotel and soaking this incredible experience for yourself. I would have paid double and still been happy. Don't want to go home x

• Stayed July 2014
5 Thank naz h
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

Warnings for anyone about to book:

I have just arrived 02 July 2014 with my 18 year old son. Holiday booked with British Airways-

02 July 2014 - 12 July 2014

1- there is no beach; we were advised we can use the lovely beaches either side of the Club Barbados...but we would have to 'time our walk' as the sea breaks against a high wall. BA you have a couple of pictures with sun loungers on the beach but from the other angle you will show the high wall and wooden steps to enter the water.

To confirm this as an observation the Hobbie Sailing boat is launched down a steep wooden slip like a Life Boat...

Now I understand why there are no children under 16 welcome...

2- on check in they needed to put US300 on my VISA card as a deposit. -BA you need to mention this in your brochure.

3- Safety deposit box requires a deposit of US117.50 incase the key is lost or 'the box goes missing'.

4- We booked a twin room but on arrival there was one nice bed and the other was a temporary bed popped in by the door having removed all the furniture from the room to make space... Not acceptable position.

5- the room is next to the busy main road so not much chance of too much sleep. Room 250!

6- Flip flops- on out first night in the main restaurant, my son and I were refused. We looked well dressed in line with their policies but my smart leather flip flops were not acceptable. Shoes only policy. We sat in reception trying to negotiate. British Airways checked their own brochure and agreed that it didn't state no flip flops in main restaurant and were trying to assist us. To make matters worse four other women were wearing flip flops in the dining room... NOT HAPPY... Club Barbados and BA you need to make it clear before allowing customers to travel..

In summary, one imagines Barbados as a place with amazing beaches.... Club Barbados failed our dream...

Stayed July 2014
10 Thank Ian C
GuestAmbassador01, Guest Relations Manager at The Club, Barbados Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you very much for your comments about your recent stay at The Club Barbados. We appreciate the time you took to share your observations with us as we are always striving for 100% guest satisfaction.

As is comon practice around the world (including all-inclusives) guests are required to submit their credit card as a way for the resort to charge for incidentals, tours and excursions. In addition, we do have a policy that requires a deposit for the safe deposit box.

We do have a dress code which is stated on our webiste. Men our allowed to wear tailored shorts to dinner on Friday evenings. The rest of the week, and by popular demand, we have an elegantly casual dress code, which includes slacks and collared shirts for gentlemen, and slacks or dresses for ladies. Our guests, and visiting travel professionals, overwhelming report that they love the fact that we work hard to create a relaxed, yet slightly upscale atmosphere in the evening. This provides a lovely break from the less formal island-style restaurants and bars where you might find visitors wearing jean shorts, flip-flps and t-shirts to dinner. There is definitely a time and place for that, and we also love to let our hair down and have a great time. But we also try to provide a bit of elegance and island charm in the evenings, which again, our guests greatly enjoy.

We are certainly disappointed when guests are not happy and address all concerns in a very timely fashion.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint James Parish
The Crane Resort
The Crane Resort
#1 of 4 in Saint Philip Parish
Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels

Been to The Club, Barbados Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!