“Fantastic Hotel. I don't get what people are moaning about!”

The Club, Barbados Resort and Spa
Ranked #10 of 26 Hotels in Saint James Parish
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Hotel. I don't get what people are moaning about!”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Our party of 6 adults stayed at the Club for 12 nights in the middle of June. From start to finish we all had an excellent time. The staff were all friendly, the rooms spotlessly clean and the food to a good standard for an all inclusive. We particularly liked Enids and ate there about 5 times.

As most reviewers are aware this resort does not have a beach as such. However, this does not stop people from swimming at the hotel. There are some ladders leading down into the water where you can swim in clear blue water. What a lot of people do not realise is that this hotel is a lot cheaper than many of a similar standard as it does not have a beach. As well as this, over the years the beaches on the west coast have eroded away. Friends of mine had stayed here several years ago and there was a beach here then. Unless you are elderly or have walking difficulties, its quite easy to walk over a few rocks to get to the beach at Sandy Lane next door or the currently deserted beach to the right of The Club (they are building a villa there at the moment). This deserted beach is absolutely gorgeous and if a strong swimmer you could even swim out to the local turtles who live close by.

With regards to some of the negative reviews I just do not understand what they are complaining about? I have worked in the luxury travel market for 10 years and know some people have stupidly high expectations. If you want Sandy Lane then you have to pay £700 a night for the privilege. We heard one person say they could get a better deal in Dominican Republic. I am sure you can, but the Dom Rep is not Barbados. I have been to the Dom Rep and its like a third world country, that’s why its cheap. The Club is an excellent value 4 star all inclusive in Barbados, which is one of the more exclusive islands.

I have stayed in many hotels over the years and it is quite common for hotels to take a deposit from your card as some of the other reviewers have negatively pointed out. We got it refunded so whats the issue? Some people have complained about being told what time to ate. Please remember that The Club offer al la carte dining most nights so have to book people in for dinner. They cant have everybody turning up at the same time. There are not many all inclusive that have al la carte dining most nights, so you have to sacrifice some things. The person who gave this hotel 1 star is having a laugh. I would like to put them into a 1 star and see their review, HA!

We also booked through BA Holidays who seemed to be by far the cheapest operator. They were about £500pp cheaper than Virgin. We noticed that the 4 star Club with BA was cheaper than some of the 3 star hotels with other tour operators.

I would definitely come back to this hotel; how many places can you go and get free water sports, have turtles swim up to your beach at night and see celebrities at the hotel next door? Plus we made some great friends on this trip.

Room Tip: Book the free speed boat ride with the water sports boys. Also book the half day island tour on a Sa...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
15 Thank CB-London2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (800)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2014

great location, no beach as such but has a great beach less than 2 minutes walk round the coast.
Staff were fantastic couldn't do enough for you and so friendly they really made our stay!
will definately be heading back and shoon hopefully

Room Tip: the rooms in the sea facing block are a little more expensive but the views and being lulled to slee...
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

7 Thank pedrigo7
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We headed down to Barbados for a wedding and decided to make a vacation of it. The Club Barbados was recommended and we booked for a week. We found our visit wonderful. The staff goes out of their way to make you comfortable and remembers your names. The food for an all inclusive was above average, the service absolutely wonderful - a full class of water, wine or replenishment of drinks at any time. We had an ocean front room on the first floor which gave us almost our own little beach.
The water sports are great too the guys are friendly and helpful. Make sure to book the 20 minute tour on the power boat which is included in your all inclusive as are the beach kayaks, and sunfish sail boat. They have snorkeling equipment too and if you want you can swim out to the sunken boat to do some snorkeling.
There really isn't a beach, but access to the water. At high tide it is a tad tricky but not too bad. Enids restaurant was a one and done for us. Not that the food was bad, it just wasn't as good as we wanted it to be and we found the sunset to be more worth it.
The best part is that no kids under 16 can go. Not that I don't like kids, but I thoroughly enjoyed the all adult atmosphere. It was completely relaxing. We also had a couple massage for an hour which was totally worth it. Staff was excellent and very accommodating.

7 Thank Washburn7ed
Surrey, England
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Can't believe the two recent reviews that only rate this property as 1 star....it's as though they are talking about a completely different place to where I stayed!!!
My husband, 18 year old son and 21 year old daughter had a lovely holiday here. We have been fortunate enough to have travelled extensively and found the food at the Club to be some of the best we have ever had, in both Sunset and Enid's restaurants. Our rooms were pleasant, clean and larger than average and the pools were kept beautifully by Nigel. Above all the staff were amazing.... very friendly indeed, efficient and professional. The Club obviously has a large repeat guest list and I think that says a lot about the type of place this is. At least half of the people we met had been before; some four or five times. Most of the others were there on recommendations and happy with everything... ( a special hi to Naz and Sarah; two of the lovely people we met there). We would certainly go back if we were to visit Barbados again.
Regarding some of the points made by dissatisfied reviews: We have always had to give a credit card as a deposit at other resorts in the Caribbean and have always been aware there is a dress code in the evening ( which is appreciated by most guests ). To be fair I believe there are some room improvements happening as the property has recently changed ownership and the beach is not a highlight but there are good public beaches either side. Beautiful sunsets are plentiful as this is the west coast of the island. Many of the watersports are complimentary including speed boat trips with the knowledgeable Sylvester.

Having worked in Customer Service for around 30 years, I know that it is not possible to please everyone all of the time, However, having witnessed the attitude of one of the 1 star reviewers and his willingness to broadcast his displeasure to anyone and everyone who would listen I am reminded that there are, occasionally, certain individuals that it is almost impossible to please.

Room Tip: We had a partial sea view but sea view rooms look amazing
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
10 Thank scoobyrix
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I had a problem with my booking at The Club. My fault 100%. I thought I had booked 6 nights but now, 4 weeks after booking, while checking my confirmation I see I'd booked for just 5!!! This meant I had checked us out 1 whole day before our flights were booked home to the UK. I promptly contacted the booking office for The Club and explained. Within minutes they were back at me saying that yes I had made a mistake BUT no problem they would book me the extra last night and not to worry. An extremely helpful lady called 'Hayley' took me through all of this and I can say that within a short time I was totally relaxed and looking forward more than never to getting to Barbados than I was already! Thank you Hayley and The Club. Ian. See you Friday.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank BeenAroundTheWord1
Longwood, Florida
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Great staff, nice evening entertainment, excellent food! But if you want to swim, jump in the pools.
The piano bar was excellent. Ask for the Rum Doctor to give overview of all the rums. Lots of fun! Chefs were great, took cooking class.

2 Thank slykab
Essex uk
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We got married at The Club Barbados resort and spa on 20th June 2014. The hotel is small and very friendly, the staff are very attentive and can't do enough for you. The food is 1st class with plenty of choice, including vegetarian dishes. Buffet style for breakfast and lunch, in the evening you will have a lovely menu to choose from and be waited on by the lovely staff! Beach bbq was great, and its lovely to watch the turtles swimming around and be so close. Our three children (all in there 20`s) made the most of the local nightlife and felt very safe doing so! Beach party's etc, Harbour lights was one they strongly recommend. The hotel has entertainment every evening, singers, djs etc.
Paulette our wedding coordinator was a star! She organized every last detail so we were able to walk along the beach on our wedding morning! The photos and DVD were amazing which we received before we went home - bonus! Our Wedding was magical and we would recommend this hotel to anyone thinking of going for a holiday or to get married.
All in all a great time, nice and chilled out and we will definitely be going back!

Room Tip: Some rooms need updating which I thick is happening at the moment. All clean and tidy, no complaints...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

The Crane Resort
The Crane Resort
#1 of 4 in Saint Philip Parish
Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels

Been to The Club, Barbados Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!