“Lovely food and amazing setting”
Review of The Cliff

The Cliff
Price range: US$0 - US$300
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Open 6 days a week from December to May and June to November, Monday to Saturday. Office Hours 9 am to 5 pm.
Reviewed 25 June 2018

A unique restaurant with incredible food and service. As others have said, it was rather a lukewarm initial greeting and as we were only married a few hours before (we did let them know it was our wedding day) it was a bit disappointing that they did not acknowledge this at all. Unlike Champers Restaurant who make a fuss of people on their special occasions which is a more personal touch. However, it was a lovely setting and great service once we were at our table.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,054)

Reviewed 25 June 2018

I loved this restaurant when I visited ten years ago with my dad and hoped it was as wonderful as I remembered to take my husband for his birthday. I needednt have worried it was still as sublime. My most favourite restaurant in the World and that is saying something. The food is amazing but it is the setting that sets it apart from other restaurants. It is amazing and the bar and cigar room which I dint visit last time were also incredible. Lovely ambience and a dream setting. Highly recommended for a special occasion. It is definitely a dinner my husband will remember for a long time. Excellent.

Reviewed 25 June 2018

this is a restaurant not to be sniffed at. Sure its top end dining but you're on holiday for gods sake and if you can't treat yourself to a bit of the high life then stay away. The service was impressive and the food was excellent. The open air setting with open waves lapping below with an array of shark looking fish swimming around a bit like the villains lair á la James Bond and you can order some fabulous cocktails too. the whole experience is decadent and a real treat. Theres always an A-Lister around too and this time Danny Boyle might have been looking at locations for his debut Bond escapade or looking at Bond girls judging by his company! All in all wonderful experience and not as expensive as dining can be in Dubai though. Word of advice, don't wander around the restaurant gawping at the fish next to other diners. Slightly frowned upon wouldn't you know

Reviewed 21 June 2018

Friends booked this venue and certainly the setting on the waters edge with fish swimming in the sea is impressive. The same cannot be said for our initial service which was slowly and without interest in the customer; the big guy who served was not a good intro to a restaurant with a quality reputation. I guess it took him 20 minutes to serve us and in fact 3 other waiters were asking if we were being served.

We had a great table and the service was much improved in the dining area. The starter of fois gras and chicken liver parfait was good but not really anything to shout about. However the 10oz veal chop with gratin potatoes, grilled tomatoes with a tasty mustard and tarragon sauce was to die for. Well done to the chef.
Overall impressed with setting and some of the food but we tried manyof the top restaurants on the island and to me the Cliff was living on a reputation that was not always met.

Reviewed 20 June 2018 via mobile

I have to confess I am used to any kind of restaurants, from the little stand of local food to the Michelin type of restaurant. I don't mind paying an extra value to a good restaurant if this is really worth. I have visited many "high-level" restaurants in the world and the Cliff is really disappointing. I had to make this introduction cause I think a review is really depending on your food culture and experience you had. I am not just picky I have some experience on this world.
My rating would be as following.
8 for the location, nice and well presented
6 for the staff, they didn't care much if you enjoyed the food or not and they just didn't greet us when leaving as they were too keen to carry on with their conversations.
6 for the food. Raw materials are good but to be positioned at this level of 285 BDL for two meals I would expect more than good raw materials. I expect some innovation, good pairing and a food experience worth the price.
What really disappointed me is that Staters were served after 8 mins from ordering. My impression is those were ready-meals warmed up in the oven and not made at the order (the pasta sticking on the dish and some cold pieces of my pasta confirmed my impression). As we were between the first to dine there I thought they may been able to be really quick, however 8 mins for two pasta is really record time. Thus I decided to stopwatch the table next to us when the restaurant was half full already...8 mins for 3 first course again.
Creativity in the plate was missing but not Cream. There was cream in the linguine, in the curry and in the Mahi Mahi. could pass for the thai curry (?! Never had creamed curry in Thailand but I am not a super expert of thai food so will leave as not satisfactory for just myself) but definitely not in the Lobster pasta.
Parmesan was all over the places, too much. Seafood and cheese had never been a good pairing but here it was definitely over used.
Dessert: as I am familiar with French and Italian patisserie, I have asked to the waiter if the Babà was made there. After confirmation I decided to give it a try. Probably better than other courses however the chantilly cream was really a little, Babà was half dry (if you are an expert of the traditional Italian desserts you know how to properly make it) and it was most a wholegrain brioche (never seen wholegrain flour used for the babà but can understand the variation ) rather than a proper Sponge as a Babà should be.

I am afraid I could not comment this at the restaurant as they were not commenting on my insatisfation comments. I hope this review will push the chef to really do more in order to be classified to such a restaurant and not to settle in for being mainly a touristic restaurant in a Island.
I would have expected to bring the local raw materials on the dishes and to experiment and valorize those materials this restaurant is well positioned in the food scene to do it, rather than using some ready to use pesto from Italy.

All the best,