“Zed is outstanding” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Zed's Surfing Adventures

Zed's Surfing Adventures
More attraction details
Owner description: Ranked 7th best surf school in the world by National Geographic in 2012, Zed's Surfing Adventures offers lessons with two classes each day. We have the widest selection of surfboard rentals here in Barbados. Located right on the surf break at Surfer's Point, there are lounge chairs, rest room facilities for surfers and families watching, and plenty of drinks and food from the Surfers Point cafe! Pick up service complimentary from South Coast hotels.
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Zed is outstanding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

I am a core surfer (well past my prime) who has travelled throughout the world. I stay in five star hotels for work. My colleagues use Zed often and I started tagging along 3 years ago when the East coast and everywhere else is flat. Quite happy to watch them improving or to join in with a longboard myself. A construction that doesn't interfere with the topography, local architecture, front lawn communal area joins with water and the waves. Eden. Run by the real surf culture people, so try to absorb and understand instead of judging. Absolutely top respectful and safe place from 1 to 100 year olds.
Mahalo

Visited June 2014
4 Thank Raul_Messias

Barbados
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Its an Island ting man”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

I just read a review at Zed's and was taken back as to the experience that Lynda M had, it was surprising that this was the case as I have been on several occasions and the guys have been great - the girls at the little canteen are always smiling and the atmosphere always peaceful.

It seems that your trip out to Zed's caused the frustration that you continued to experience, bus rides in Barbados can be long and tedious and it seems as though this was the start of the day to come.

We have bad days and good days, the surf school has always tried its best to accommodate everyone and we all know that someone will always be unhappy at sometime it is unfortunate it had to be you Lynda M but be assured that you must try again once in Barbados and Zed himself will be more than accommodating as he always is so chin up and say my day was not a total loss and ill be back

Visited May 2014
3 Thank caribdude58
Dublin, Ireland
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Great location, pretentious people.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

We made the mistake of taking the bus from the platinum coast to Bridgetown and changing buses ( and depots) to travel on to Oistin and on to Zeds which is remote as to be expected. They don't collect from hotels outside of the south coast so by the time we arrived we were hot and bovvered and looking forward to facilities aka changing rooms and showers. It was not to be the case. They offered us nothing except to pay for drinks and to use a staff shower which was crummy and had no privacy. I had two teenage girls with me, one a more experienced surfer than the other and although they got stuck in, they had minimal instruction but enjoyed it nonetheless. I didnt surf and observing the staff I got the impression that they think they are the *hit but really they're just washed up pseudo hippies that expect everybody to roll up in a 4X4 or drop out of the sky to amuse them. Zed was not there.

Visited July 2013
ZedBarbados, Owner at Zed's Surfing Adventures, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear Lynda M,
Thank for your review, i am sorry you did not have fun but i do hope your girls had fun. I know the bus ride from the platinum coast could be a hard one and i apologise on behalf of our staff for your frustration.... i am happy to read your observations and wished you had actually surfed... it may have made a difference.
We hope you will one day try surfing yourself.

Best Regards

Zed
Seattle, Washington
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Tips (& a glowing review) from a regular at Zed's”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

I love Zed's. When I leave, everyone asks when I'm coming back. My answer? When I can. I make time to work remotely in Barbados and surf as much as possible, which have found to be great for my health, productivity, and surfing ability. So, here's some tips from a regular at Zed's.

1) Surfing? Excellent. Junior & the team are phenomenal at getting you up on the board, even if you don't feel strong. Trust their process---it's the best way to successfully get on the board and enjoy a surf--don't worry about popping up, that'll come with time. If you've surfed before, their process is a good one to have in your pocket, because it provides a lot of balance on the board.

2) A couple things to pack if you're surfing:
-A set of surf shoes, which protect your feet (but you should still avoid walking long distances in the water).
-SPF 50 in waterproof/sweat proof--Barbados' sun is STRONG. Bring at least 2 bottles per week. Really. And put SPF on the back of your hands.
-SPF 30 Chapstick.
-Maybe a tube of Biafine in case you get a bit pink.
-A rash guard, perferably light weight, SPF 50, and long-sleeved.
-A pack-light towel for beaches and post surf works nice.
All that said, there are people who surf with none of that and seem fine...but the sun can be harsh for many.

3) Garner a sense of community--some of my best friends were met at Zed's. Both on Zed's staff an amongst the guests. This place attracts smart, amazing people who like to chill out and chat while enjoying the surf. People go here because they want something pricey hotels can't give: authenticity. So, strike up a conversation, buy the new guest a Banks beer, and ask Sherald what places to check out on the South Coast.

4) Try the Wednesday BBQ. It's seriously good, and if you're vegan, vegetarian, gluten free, or craving local fish or ribs, Sherald at the cafe has you covered. It's super-tasty and one of my favorite evenings on the island.

5) Barbados is highly seasonal. You might arrive when Freights is too small and Surfer's Point is fantastic. Or, the other way around. You might feel the high-energy and liveliness around Christmas high season. Or, get there in May when it's Caribbean slow. Talk to Maurizio and Sammy about your goals and needs for the trip and what you'd like to get out of it, they'll point you to both best surfing and tourist options for you. Their local knowledge is priceless

Enjoy Barbados. You're in for a treat at Zed's.

Visited May 2014
4 Thank PaigeLeeds
Chester, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Surf trip and stay (Aug 2013)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

A bit late! Stayed here last August for the second week of our 'summermoon'. Everyone was very friendly and me and my husband enjoyed our lessons. Our instructor did well teaching us both as we were at different standards. Saw sea turtles whilst surfing in the sunset. Unforgettable! Don't want to surf in cold England now. The accommodation was clean, pleasant but basic, which we liked. The porch and hammock were great for chilling and reading. The price was fair. Loved the surfboard I had for the week and enjoyed our breakfasts at the little cafe. Great place to learn and progress. We also hired a car and this was a great base for exploring the island (we visited the Crane hotel on a day pass a couple of times). Everyone was very helpful in sorting out taxis and car hire for us. Saving to go back (with kids hopefully)! Can't wait.

Visited August 2013