“Great location and nice place”

Divi Southwinds Beach Resort
Langhorne, Pennsylvania
“Great location and nice place”
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Divi is in a great location in St. Lawrence Gap.
The hotel staff is very nice.
We stayed at the ocean from suite. We were lucky that we were on the third floor, so we had a view of the ocean. Our one bedroom suite, 728, was nice. It has a nice living room, bathroom, kitchen and balcony. I like it, but it could use an up grade.
The ocean side is under renovation. They are completing a new restaurant and clubhouse for the ocean side pool. The restaurant looks like it could be a real winner. The beach in front of the property is great.
The property is not a high end resort. We are used to Marriott timeshares...
But the location is perfect. It is within walking distance of many restaurants in the St. Lawrence Gap.
It is still worth the stay.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank BAHuston3

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Mayaguez, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 5 February 2014

I stayed a on a week job in the island. Always enjoy the place, 'cause their huge complete furnished rooms, where you can save a lot if you like to cook and want to save money from the restaurants. The hotel is clean, the rooms smell good, clean and well serviced. The staff is very friendly and the hotel amenities are good. The bed mattress, could use a flip from time to time .

Room Tip: try to get a room away from the elevator, is less crowded
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank William G
manchester
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Stayed here for two nights before going on a cruise out of Barbados. Room only and given room at front of hotel on fourth floor. Very spacious accommodation with large bedroom and separate living room/ kitchenette with breakfast bar with rout stools. Fully equipped with fridge freezer, microwave,cooker with four rings and all the crockery, pans and cutlery which you might need. Small mini market on site to purchase basic needs. Well tended grounds and gardens and nice pool area. Backs on to great beach. Suited our needs but would not want to have an extended stay here.

2 Thank dwilk
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 January 2014

We stayed here for one day, the staff on reception were very very ignorant were not very helpful at all, the service and staff at resturant were the same, my husband asked the chef to make a omelette for him at breakfast and he was told no, we were given sea view rooms, as we were walking to room there was big holes in the ground, we had to pull our suitcases over boards when we got to the room it was like a building site, the rooms smelt really bad, and the decor was from the 1980's, iam really glad it was only one day I definitely would not go back there if someone paid for me to go there.

Room Tip: Don't have a ocean view room it's like a building site
4 Thank Julie S

Travellers are raving about these Christ Church Parish hotels

new york
Reviewed 28 January 2014

I stayed here for 4 nights and was quite disappointed by the facilities and lack of a response from management. Pros: walkable to everything in saint Lawrence gap, nice pool activities.

I am writing to let you know that I checked into room 122 on Thu Jan 2. Before checking in, I asked the receptionist at the front desk if we could have a "newer" room since I had read several reviews on Trip Advisor about some of the rooms being older. She assured me that most of the rooms had been refurbished, so thought we would be okay. Upon entering the room, I found it to be slightly dated in the following areas: kitchen floor has spots, white refrigerator has dirt marks on the side, and bath tub did not look cleaned.

Today, Fri Jan 3, we left our room at about 12p to do some sightseeing, and returned at 4.45p to find that our room had not been cleaned. I was under the impression that house cleaning is scheduled to come every day. I called the front desk to let them know, and about an hour later, a young lady came to clean. She asked if we wanted towels, and I said yes. She brought the towels in, and was about to leave when I asked her if she could also make up the bed, which she did. She did not however clean the bathroom, which as mentioned above, looked dirty to begin with.

I wanted to pass on these comments as I have 2.5 more days here, and would like to see some improvement in the cleanliness standards. Since we did pay for full service, we would like a partial refund. Alternatively, we would like to request a late checkout on Mon Jan 6, as we will be taking a catamaran cruise and would like to use the shower upon return at 3p.

2 Thank izadnam
Kingstown, St. Vincent
Reviewed 25 January 2014

So the entire beachfront area is a construction zone. They are re-building what I presume will be the beach restaurant/bar and the surrounding area. My room was in the block of rooms nearest the beach and so I got to look at piles of cement, lumber and pipes, dug up holes and other assorted construction zone paraphernalia. And let's not forget the construction noises of various power tools. And last but not least, the wonderful smells of paint and other solvents. Just dandy. I am sure the area will be lovely once finished, but not now.

The beachfront rooms need reno's as well....badly. I am sure in its heydey these rooms were fabulous; they are certainly very spacious. Now they have chipped floor tiles, faded dirty walls, a fridge with a broken handle, broken cupboard hardware, a bathtub that is beyond disgusting, doors that don't close properly and bed linens that are way past their prime. I didn't bother complaining and getting another room simply because I was here only for two nights. Amazing how little you get for 180 dollars (cdn) a night.

I didn't bother eating at the hotel restaurant since I've heard it is expensive and not that great. There are so many places to eat nearby that there is no reason to stick around the hotel.

On the positive side.....
The hotel does have a superb location. You are within the St.Lawrence Gap area which means you can walk to nearby restaurants, bars and cafés.

The beach is quite lovely with soft pinkish white sand, clear water and sufficient shade from its coconut palms, casuarina and almond trees. The water is quite rough directly in front of the rooms, but if you walk a bit down the beach you can find spots where the surf is a bit more gentle. I found the sea quite cold at this time of year, but that's just me since I'm spoiled from St.Vincent. The hotel provides lounge chairs at the beach (which are also rather old and worn). Please note that if you wish to use a chair with a beach umbrella, you will have to pay for it. Obviously the hotel thinks that allowing a surcharge for the use of an umbrella is a wonderful business opportunity for their staff.

Free wifi is available and works very well even from the room, balcony included.
The room had a free safe which was very easy to use.

The pool area is quite nice and the pool,while not huge is decent. The water is also cold this time of year.

To sum up, I am sure this property will be much better once the renovations are done. In the meantime, I would not return. I'd try the next door hotel, the Southern Palms, it looked quite nice and no construction mess at the moment.

Room Tip: Unless a messy construction zone doesn't bother you, don't stay at the beachfront rooms
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Ivona B
Ontario
Reviewed 17 January 2014

The hotel has a great pool and pastimes area (mini-golf and tennis) and is a short walk to a fabulous beach. The walk is in the hotel's own grounds, which are nicely kept, but you do have to cross a narrow road -- St. Lawrence Gap. Their restaurant at the beach is being renovated and wasn't in use when we were there.

St. Lawrence Gap is lined with great restaurants both side of the hotel grounds and consequently is also a plus for the hotel, which is somewhat old and tired. It is being renovated but not near completion.

With the proviso it is old, I would certainly recommend a stay here for the beach alone. As I, and others, swam off the beach, sea turtles popped their heads up to watch us. As well, there 's snorkelling just offshore in relatively shallow water. The beach has a rental shop for catamaran, diving, snorkelling, and swim with the turtles trips. You can also rent the usual beach toys of body, surf and paddle boards etc.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pools have better view and could be quieter. Road and restaurant noise can be...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends