“I give it 3 stars”

Barbados Beach Club
Reviewed 22 May 2014

I use to work in the hotel industry for over 10 years (5 yrs at a 5 Diamond). One thing I have learned from reading reviews is: Everyone's review is THEIR TRUTH. BBC is just a 3 star resort. I went with a group of friends, 45+ in age. Some in the group had an issue with their rooms but the matter was quickly resolved.
My room (honeymoon suite) was just right. My balcony overlooked the pool, but partially blocked by a tree, but still able to see the ocean...which made it more secluded and romantic. My only issue was the bathroom air vent...a person could look into the bathroom from the hall if they flipped the vent...it was creepy. I opened it and said hello and scared my bf...too funny. From the other reviews and my experience, they do have a water issue. For whatever reason, I had no problem with the water. You had to pump the toilet to get it to completely flush. It became a running joke, as we would compare it to other toilets on the island.

The food was ok, what I expected. Breakfast was fine, just what I expected. Lunch/Dinner - some dishes were better than others. The selection was good. If I didn't like something, I went and got something else...the beauty of the all-inclusive. Of course, the alcohol is not top shelf, expected for the price of your stay. The exterior was what I expected it to be for a 3 star. We had the luxury of not having to deal with a crowd, no issues with beach/pool chairs. The staff made our stay great.

Overall, it needs to be updated but otherwise all is good. The price fits the facility. FYI this is not the Ritz nor the Hilton...this is not a hotel in the USA. I don't understand why some reviewers would expect to get champagne accommodations for beer prices.

This is a resort on a Caribbean island, they are more laid back...so expect that. If you want to lounge, be pampered at a resort and stay primarily on the resort, this may not be for you, but if you truly want to enjoy the island, this resort will be fine for you.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
9  Thank eventfuls
There are newer reviews for Barbados Beach Club

Reviewed 9 May 2014

We have stayed here every February for last ten years. Don't be put off by negative reviews. BBC Is a friendly three star Bajan delight with wonderful staff, good food, great location and we can't wait to return. The beach is small but run efficiently by Steve. Sandra in the restaurant is a wonder and her staff are friendly and smiley. The bar is great for the days and evenings - Maurice, Dale and boys are friendly and nothing is too much trouble. Gin & tonics wonderful. The reception girls are lovely and go out of their way to ensure a great stay. Again, can't wait to return.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank THEGIRLSBristol
Reviewed 6 May 2014

The hotel is located on the coastline which gives visitors staying in most rooms sea view. It is a very calm and relaxing atmosphere, typically for a mature crowd. The staff is very friendly, with Juliet being outstanding and most welcoming. The service and food is on par with the three star ratings of the hotel. Many persons come this place and because it is so lovely do an injustice and compare the BBC to a five star hotel. You get your money’s worth. Most people pay for three star hotel ratings and expect five star treatment. One negative feedback is that the place is in some need of repairs and refurbishing in which from time to time, there may be an interruption in basic service. This must be a top priority with Management. For instance the Hot water might not work for a few hours etc. and the failure to promptly correct these issues are giving the hotel a pretty much negative review. However in general I like this place…

Room Tip: Sea View or Pool front
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ronald_Mootoo
Reviewed 5 May 2014

This is a simple hotel yet has everything you need for great holiday in Barbados. If you want five star quality and service with people running after you then this is not for you. The staff are wonderful and are real Bajan human beings - no corporate clones here. This is a traditional Barbados hotel staffed by traditional Barbadians. Nothing is a problem but nothing is rushed - just chill out! The menu is simple but of a good quality and standard. You could say it's food you would have at home with a Bajan twist at times. The pool area is clean and well maintained. It also has access to a small fantastic beach. Beach towels are available to hire. Room safes are also available to hire. Wifi is free throughout the property. Late check outs are available - short term may be free but longer terms can be chargeable at a reasonable rate.
Just lying back listening to the waves crash off the sea wall was amazing.
I was not expecting great things from this hotel and we were so surprised by what we got. We would come back here again without any worries!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank intipusscat
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Having arrived late due to no airport transfer we were given an unsatisfactory room number 221. The door lock was very difficult to shut and open, the toilet seat would not stay up but worse of all there was no hot water. I went to reception to speak to Angela and asked for a room change. She made enquiries and there were no other rooms available. I therefore asked to be upgraded at no extra cost. Again that was not possible. Despite remonstrating that the room was unacceptable I was told that I had to put up with it until another room became available. The next day we were on an early tour so was unable to ask. However, Angela (true to her word) got back to me on the third day to offer the room across the hall number 222. We accepted and moved across. However, although the lock and toilet seat were acceptable there was still no hot water. The next day we complained again and a lady came to our room and acknowledged there was no hot water and would rectify it. We waited for a day or two and nothing happened. By this time we had three days to go and so fed up that we didn’t want the disruption of another move for three days.
We booked for an All Inclusive Holiday and the Barbados Beach Club was simply not up to standard. I did write down my complaints to them on leaving.
I subsequently asked by email compensation for nine days of cold water showers, shaving etc. Having spoken to other guests the water was not a problem. We asked for £20 each a night, which is not unreasonable for a room without hot water. Given we were there for nine nights it equates to £180 each, £360 total. I sent three emails without reply. Consequently, this review.

Room Tip: Not 221 or 222
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
13  Thank 306timt
Reviewed 7 April 2014

The Barbados Beach Club was our overnight stay before embarking a cruise round the islands. On a positive note, the staff were very welcoming, friendly and helpful - always taking the trouble to check that we had everything we needed. Given that this is a three star hotel the food was ok - edible and plentiful - but pretty basic so I would not want to eat there for any length of time. The position right on the beach is good but the Maxwell Beach area is not as pleasant as St Lawrence Gap for example and I don't think I'd walk out at night. The hotel, in general, is in need of refurbishing - both rooms and public areas - and we had a very noisy fridge which was annoying at night. Reasonable value for money but obviously not the higher end of the market - you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool area have better views but if the hotel is full then these will be noisie...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Adrienne S
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Just returned from holiday in Barbados and found the - all inclusive - Barbados Beach Club met all our needs. We were celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary and confused by some of the bad reports we have read. We were given an immediate room upgrade on arrival without asking. Great room on top floor with views over the sea, swimming pool and gardens. It was very spacious with aircon on already for us. We had help with our cases to our room and given general information. Service was excellent everywhere from pool bar and restaurant to all the cleaning staff. We found all the staff very friendly and helpful. In the main restaurant there was a great selection from salads, meats, fish and pasta dishes, vegetables and chips were delicious. The choice and standard of food was brilliant whether for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Some days we had BBQ steak or beefburgers as an option also. We also tried the a la carte restaurant which again we couldn't fault. Even afternoon tea had a choice of sandwiches and cake. We rate this hotel very highly for value for money. Although the hotel is > 40 years old it is still maintained to a good standard needing a little TLC. Recommend a visit to the Flower Forest near the centre of the island. The flora is stunning. Also did a tour with Glory Tours and our guide Lisa Goddard was not only very informative but a lovely, funny lady who made the trip special. Only one disappointment we were unable to swim that day with the turtles as the sea was too choppy - Hey you can't have it all even in paradise!!!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Accra Beach Hotel & Spa
#24 of 51 in Christ Church Parish
Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels
The Club, Barbados Resort and Spa
The Club, Barbados Resort and Sp...
#10 of 26 in Saint James Parish

Been to Barbados Beach Club? Share your experiences!