“Wonderful surf”

Ocean Spray Beach Apartments
Reviewed 5 June 2013

Ocean Spray was my second lodging place for my first trip to Barbados. I chose it because it is near enough to the airport to save time on departure day and because it had good reviews and the price was right. The seaside location is outstanding but it is away from the action of the city or the other activities of the west coast. It is on Surfer's Point and there is access to the water for wading, swimming or surfing but the beach is rocky not so much sandy. You either need a auto rental or depend on taxis or shuttles to get around. The restaurant serves good food in an open air facility nearby. My room location was perfect as it was on the end second floor next to the surf. The furnishings are a bit sparse and dated but clean. The windows and stove need attention with some cleaning products. I loved the private balcony with table and chairs for relaxing outside.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank lnois

Reviewed 1 May 2013

My family and I stayed here as a last minute deal, through hotels.com and we loved it! Spacious rooms, wonderful views, friendly helpful staff, great breakfast. Well worth the money. It's a bit off the beaten path to ger to though... keep that in mind before booking. With that said, do yourself a favor and stay here.

1  Thank Dablings
Reviewed 6 April 2013

I went to Barbados with my friend, as our first experience of the Carribbean islands and Ocean Spray was absolutely perfect! The best thing about it is it's location. Its a nice escape from the usual tourist traps, that makes it feel like your apartment in your own private part of the island. You can come out of your room and immediately be looking at the beautiful blue surf waves and can walk 3 minutes down the coast to a perfect beachy area. If you love surfing or want to try surfing for the first time it's also a great location, being next to one of the famous surf schools of the island. The rooms are like little apartments with a kitchen, basic cooking equipment and a kitchen counter. They were basic and clean. Right in front of the rooms is a sweet little wooden gazebo that overlooks the beautiful waves where you eat breakfast. Breakfast is lovely with homemade pancakes, cupcakes and fresh fruit and orange juice. The hotel staff were absolutely amazing, and the most friendly that I have ever met. We often asked questions and they were extremely informative, attentive and genuinely cared for all the tourists. We even bumped into one of the hotel staff members whilst out at Oystins on a Friday night, and she came over specifically to ask if our holiday was going well. The hotel manager, was also extremely helpful and friendly. He offered reasonably priced, flexible island tours which I thoroughly recommend. As the weekly (Tuesday) tour was already booked, he took myself and my friend round on a tour on the Thursday, which was absolutely perfect because he was extremely flexible in where we could go and how much time we could spend touring. All in all Ocean Spray was a perfect stay, made so much better by the lovely staff and people that we met there, to make our stay so hospitable. I would definitely recommend this hotel to everyone staying in Barbados!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Nikki_927
Reviewed 5 April 2013

I had such a great time at Ocean Spray and its definitely somewhere I want to return to for a variety of reasons.

- The location is absolutely fantastic

- The staff and the owner are really lovely

- The hotel is very well maintained

- Price is really good for Barbados

I can only recommend that you give Ocean Spray a try if you come to Barbados...Was such a relaxing and nice time I had there

Room Tip: ask for a room close to the ocean
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 April 2013

My wife and I stopped here for 2 weeks at the end of March 2013. The place is very small and located on a rocky shore. Within 100 metres are two small sandy beaches, but beware the sea is generally rough (why this part of the coast is loved by surfers) and the hotel does not have a pool. The room we stopped in had a separate bedroom (with air con THAT WORKED) as well as a full kitchen and large fridge (ideal to keep the Banks beer cold). Although the room would benefit from refurbishing, it was always kept spotlessly clean by or room maid Joan. Towels and bedding were changed on a daily basis and beach towels were also provided. The breakfast included in our package was basic continental, with an extra charge if you wanted eggs (BB$ 8 - US$ 4 - UK£ 2.60) for two. All the staff were very good and friendly. Free WiFi is available in all rooms, but it can be flakey and depend upon how close your room is to the repeater, but within Reception it was always good.

Although the hotel offers lunch and dinner, not many people used it, preferring to eat elsewhere except one evening every week they have a curry night and show a film on the outside screen. On another night they have a barbeque, again with a film.

Overall the hotel is great for surfers and those without children who want a really quiet laid back atmosphere. Be warned though, there are no facilities within walking distance so you will need a car to get about, and these can be a bit pricey (we paid US$ 600 for a basic mini moke for two weeks), so you need to factor this in. The airport is 10 minutes away and the nearest town, Oistins, about the distance - this is where you will find a decent sized supermarket and some of the best fish I have ever eaten.

Would I go there again - ABSOLUTELY!!!!

Room Tip: Rooms that face the sea get the sun in the morning. Ground floor rooms near the restaurant have the...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Man-on-the-bus
Reviewed 5 April 2013

The rooms were not really as we thought they looked online.
nevertheless, it was ok. This is not our usual type of accommodation.
we only stayed 3 nights.
if you are in to surfing and just need a good place to stay then you are at the right place.
if you need a bit of luxury then keep looking.

Friendly staff, and a very good cook!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AlexanderB16
Reviewed 17 March 2013

Very nice location if you want to escape the tourist crowds, but close enough to restaurants of the south shore area and the airport. Beautiful grounds right on the rocky shoreline, but a short path leads to a small sheltered swimmable beach. Hotel staff quite lovely, as is just about everyone in beautiful Barbados. All that said, the kitchenette and room furnishings were a little tired. Could've lived with that, but the portable cot I slept on was substandard - old, lumpy and uncomfortable. Appears most studio rooms are furnished with only a double bed, so I'd assume there must be a lot of requests for an extra bed for non-couple guests such as my daughter and me. Knowing that, was disappointed that the cot was so shabby.

We rented a car. It does take a while to figure out navigation around the island (don't expect well-marked roads - get a good map and learn how to navigate by landmarks, and ask the always friendly locals for directions!!). Do not miss a trip up the eastern Atlantic coast to the Bathsheba area. It was awesome. Have lunch or dinner on the deck at the Atlantis in Bathsheba!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family