“Paradise hotel, wonderful setting”

Bougainvillea Beach Resort
Southend
“Paradise hotel, wonderful setting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

Coming back for the last 20 years should evidence how wonderful this resort is.
The Staff actually remember us each year and we have made some great international 'same time, next year' friendships.
Hotel management superb and interactive with guests, one always feels welcome and special and the service is superb.
Looking forward to many more visits!

Stayed June 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (480)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

I was very disappointed on my first visit to Barbados. I travelled solo for my birthday. This is a very old building. The room that I was given was really warm and the air conditioning was not working properly. Windows were wood made and did not seal completely so bugs could easily enter the room. Food was very poor at the only restaurant at the resort. Staff seemed not to care I was there. At checkin I was charged 200$ for incidentals and I only had my debit card with me. It took like almost 2 months to get my money back from the bank. I would have given them the deposit in cash instead. The zone was very sketchy, on my way back from the supermarket I was walking and I was approached by 2 locals who were bugging me, and had to run back to the hotel. On the other hand I have to say beach was gorgeous! That "saved" my trip. I do not recommend this hotel. Go somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
6 Thank Newman21890
BougainvilleaResort, Manager at Bougainvillea Beach Resort, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
We are sorry if you were disappointed with aspects of your visit. As it has been quite some time since your stay, we cannot verify or respond specifically to all of your comments.

However, we would like to advise that it is customary at hotels around the world to have a credit card authorisation or (if a credit card cannot be provided) a cash security deposit taken at check-in. For Bougainvillea, it is in the amount of $400 Barbados dollars (US$200). No charges are applied to the credit card and cash deposits are fully refunded as long as equivalent charges are not incurred. We regret if there was a delay in your card being cleared but this would have been an issue with your bank. Had we been aware of your challenge, we would have been happy to contact your bank to try to assist in expediting the process for you.
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

We enjoyed an 8 day stay here in late April 2014. After the short 15 minute cab ride from the airport we were treated to first class service despite our 10 p.m. check-in. From the front desk people right down to the food service staff everyone is very knowledgeable and friendly. The level of service and housekeeping is of high quality. The hotel maintains two restaurants and the food is very good and reasonably priced for the island. The property has a small beach with waves and you can walk a couple of hundred yards farther west if you traverse a small set of stones. It is a 10-15 minute walk along the beach to an access path that leads to the famous St. Lawrence Gap. The "Gap" is the location of many restaurants and nightlife spots. If you choose to rent a small car for a day or so the agencies deliver the car to the hotel for you. English is the predominant language and the guest population is an even mix of British, American, South American, European, etc. which makes for interesting happy hour chat at the swim up bar.

Room Tip: The closer to the beach the better the breeze through your suite. We never used the air conditioning...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank azdesert1
Swindon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

Like many people before us we researched the hotels thoroughly on tripadvisor and ended up with Bougainvillea meeting our budget. We selected a superior studio suite on a breakfast only basis.
We were given a room on the third floor on the eastern side of the resort with a balcony overlooking the Waterfront Restaurant roof, and onto the quieter (and more windy) beach.
Transfer from the airport was short and at check in we were warmly greeted and quickly taken to our room. Mathew carried our bags and familiarised us with the functional aspects of the room very well.
Overall the hotel facilities and our room were in very good decorative order and like the gardens, well maintained. The hotel does provide guest facilities if you have to check out early which are simple, but very useful and effective.
Being on the third floor gave us a great view and we felt we would have been disappointed if we had been allocated the room on the ground floor or the floor below us which only had a view of the kitchen entrance to the restaurant. The kitchen extractor was audible on the balcony until the restaurant closed around 11pm but this is mostly drowned out by the noise of the waves crashing on the beach.
The room was very spacious, the bed extremely comfortable, with a large L shaped seating area, TV, IPod docking station, a quiet fan and air conditioning unit. The bathroom has a shower big enough for two, with a good supply of hot water. There is also a built in mirrored wardrobe and a safe, which easy to use. A fresh supply of towels were delivered daily.
The kitchenette was well equipped, with a large fridge, microwave, kettle, old style coffee percolator, utensils and plenty of crockery. As previous reviewers have stated, the water is safe to drink but it needs to be stored in the fridge if you ever want it cold!
The front door to our room (3315) wasn't particularly sturdy and you needed to make sure it was shut when you left. However we did not mention it as we felt very safe in and the around the hotel, with very vigilant security staff making rounds day and night. Room was kept spotlessly clean by Judy on a daily basis.
There are two beaches you can use, one more windy than the main Maxwell Beach which is directly in front of the Lanterns restaurant. There were always plenty of sunbeds, so no reservations were required. The Watersports boys were always available to erect a parasol, with an ample supply of beach towels.
The main Maxwell Beach was narrow which meant it felt rather busy at times and the sea conditions were rough, with red flags, as described by other reviewers. The hotel pools were clean, family friendly with one having a lovely swim up bar.
The second beach is the other side of wedding point and is a lot quieter. It is more exposed and windy however.
Breakfast is served at the Lanterns and was somewhat more frugal than we are used to in other Caribbean hotels we have stayed at, however there were a variety of options available and menu choices at an additional cost. We ate at both restaurants and had meals outside the hotel, all very nice and reasonably priced.
There is a small shop selling the basics, 200 yards along the road. A larger supermarket is a 5 minute taxi ride away.
On the whole, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay here and would certainly recommend it. All the staff were extremely helpful, polite and friendly. A credit to the hotel and made us feel they went the extra mile.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Bart45
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

Bougainvillea Beach Resort exceeded our expectations… in every way!! Having traveled extensively throughout the Caribbean & abroad both leisure & business I was extremely impressed with the quality of staff & hospitality we received during our 10 day stay. They treated us like royalty!!

OVERVIEW:

RESORT - grounds are surrounded by lush greenery & colourful flowers, trickling water falls into small pools that meander through out. There is a swim up bar centrally located… just a skip & a jump from the beach. Beautiful beach, well located and very safe & secure.

ROOMS - essentially apartments, include full kitchen which gave us the option & flexibility to make our own meals whenever we wanted. Beds were very comfortable & large veranda had table & chairs so you could eat outside. Air conditioning + fans were quiet as a mouse. Bathrooms were large & no shortage of towels. Maids left our place spotless every day.

BEACH - refreshing breezes, soft sand, turquoise waters, good waves for boogie boarding & sailing, long beach that extends well beyond the hotel if you want to take a stroll along the shoreline. Always plenty of lounge chairs, beach towels & umbrellas at your disposal including beach bar service. Suggest taking a catamaran sail with Kori.

BAR - service was excellent!! Both daytime bartenders, Josee & Roxy will take good care of you and always greet you with a big smile.

FYI - Josee makes a mean Mojito & delicious banana smoothie & Roxy's mocha ice coffee is to die for. Their rum punch will knock your sandals off!!

RESTAURANTS - Water's Edge & Lanterns Restaurants both overlook the beach & provide delicious food & excellent service. Water's Edge is very intimate & quiet, serving smaller portions but big on taste… great way to cap off your day. Lanterns has a variety of dishes, serving morning, noon & night & offers BBQs on select evenings along with local entertainment & dancing.

QUICK TIPS

1) Lawrence Gap is just a 5 minute walk down the beach from resort (go up the alley off Dover Beach Hotel). Plenty of shops, restaurants & grocery marts.

2) Water is well filtered & very safe to drink.

3) Oistens Fish Fry on Friday nights worth while try ($10 USD tax ride from hotel)

4) Beautiful sunsets off beach in Worthing ($10 USD tax ride from hotel)

5) You can buy home cooked lunch from "meal on wheels" for $10 USD ($20 BRD) from local cooks parked outside in front of resort between 12 & 1 pm. Must try!

6) Public transit (blue bus) available throughout most of island… inexpensive way to get around & only $2.

7) Highly recommend personalized private taxi tour around island for $175 USD (5 hours) with Paul Payne. He is an excellent tour guide & took us to some amazing places. East coast (Atlantic) will leave you breathless. Local contact info: 419-0216 / 251-1771

Thank you Bougainvillea & local Barbadians for being such wonderful hosts & for making our vacation unforgettable!!! Needless to say… we will be coming back next year!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
10 Thank Southern_Sunseeker66
Acton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

I stayed here for ten days with my husband and ten year old twin boys. I chose it after many months of poring over Trip Advisor reviews, with the goal of picking a hotel that would be a perfect fit for my family. Happily, Bougainvillea lived up to my expectations.

The staff here is very friendly and helpful. When we checked in we were upgraded to a deluxe suite from a regular one bedroom suite, which has never happened to me before, so I was thrilled! The suite was large (lots of storage space -- what a change from Disney last year!), pretty, and had a nice view of the main pool area and the ocean. The balcony had a large two tier drying rack for the towels and bathing suits which was a great, always in use touch.

I absolutely loved the beach and pool areas. One of the things that I avoid like the plague are resorts that have limited loungers and umbrellas at the beach and pool. I DO NOT want to line up to reserve a palapa for the next day, or get up early to put my belongings on lounge chairs to reserve them, etc. when I'm on vacation. This place actually has signs saying that you can't reserve chairs like that! Whenever you arrive at the beach, you can grab your lounge chairs, drag them over to wherever you want them, and then the nice guy at the watersports desk will come over and set up large umbrellas for you (one umbrella for every two lounge chairs, which was fine -- the umbrellas are huge). Perfect -- we can relax in the mornings and take our time getting to the beach, because we know that they'll have plenty of spots for us.

We had a rental car to explore the island, so ate most of our dinners out. We had breakfast at Lanterns and lunch at the pool bar frequently, though. The food was good, reasonably priced and with very friendly service. They are a bit on "island time," but that's what you're here for, to slow down a bit.

The ocean was perfect for my boys when there were no flags -- waves to play in, but not overpowering at all. We did have four red flag days (no swimming in the ocean -- just dip your feet in the edge) and one yellow flag day (don't go out too far). So, definitely take advantage of the ocean when there's no flags. That includes jet ski rentals; my husband and boys had a great time on the jet ski. Thankfully they took advantage early, because later on in the week the flags were up and so jet ski rentals were off limits to anyone who didn't have a lot of experience, or were taking kids, etc.

Overall, we had a wonderful time in Barbados. Beautiful, friendly island with lots to do and good restaurants a five minute drive away from Bougainvillea in the St. Lawrence Gap. Bougainvillea had everything I was looking for in a family resort.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Elaine32404
Austin, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

My husband and I stayed at Bougainvillea for 7 nights in April of 2013. It was our honeymoon (we're in our late 20's) and after doing a little research we decided to stay at Bougainvillea. We booked our trip through American Airlines Vacations and I can honestly say the entire experience was wonderful. We arrived late Sunday night and were greeted with smiling faces and friendly accents (oh, those beautiful accents!). We were shown to our room (a Junior Suite) and were pleasantly surprised at the size and cleanliness. It was a perfect mix of modern amenities and the beach vibe that we were looking for. The kitchen was an added plus as we loved being able to self cater a bit. That night (and every night in Barbados) we fell asleep to the relaxing noise of frogs and waves. It was just divine.

The next morning we had the buffet breakfast, which we loved. It was a great way to start out our trip. What a way to wake up...sitting right next to the beach and enjoying a beautiful breeze with great food. We had breakfast there at least 2 more times. We also really enjoyed the beach and in particular, the boogie boards. We spent at least a few hours every day swimming and playing in Maxwell Beach and it was definitely one of our favorite beaches we visited during our stay. The pools were great as well and I can still hear the beautiful noise of the happy hour bell...So much fun! Oh, the rum punch! The bartenders were so friendly and we honestly felt sad when we had to leave them. They became friends by the end of our trip.

All in all, I can't say enough about this place. We aren't big travelers, but Bougainvillea and Barbados had such an impact on us, we've booked an anniversary trip for the second week of July. We're counting down the days until we're back (59!). Go here.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
The Crane Resort
#1 of 4 in Saint Philip Parish
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,382 reviews
Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels

Been to Bougainvillea Beach Resort? Share your experiences!