First - a little background. We're 55 year old Americans and married 28 years. Usually in bed by 11 pm. Not there for the nightlife.
The Bougainvillea was terrific. The grounds are beautiful. Big clean rooms with kitchenettes and a wonderful staff. Supermarkets are a long walk/short taxi ride away. Minor drawbacks were the water pressure for the showers and a hard bed but that's just us being used to things back home. The beach is fantastic and the big surf was a lot of fun. The staff is the best! Wireless internet was essential to email family and friends back home and also to research island attractions.
The onsite Italian restaraunt was pretty good but make sure to go over to the St Lawrence Gap for dinner. We enjoyed the Cafe del Sol (best BBQ Chicken) but stay away from GiGi's (terrible). One of our best nights out was at the Bajan Roots and Rhythms Show!
The Bajans are friendly and always ready to help with directions, which is good because it's easy to get lost. Rent a car and drive up through the middle of the island to the east coast to Barclay(?) Park, the Soup Bowl then down to Crane Beach. We had lunch at the Round House overlooking the surf at Bathsheba, it was fantastic. Welch's Gulley and Harrison's cave were also good attractions. Fill up the gas tank beforehand because stations are few and far between once you get over to the east. We also drove the west side, the so called "Platinum Coast" but all you can see is the entrance gates to the expensive resorts. They all have big walls and/or hedgerows and there's really nothing to see from the road.
Good beaches away from the resort included the Boat Yard in Bridgetown. The kids love the rope swing off the dock and the trampoline rafts. The water is calm and they provide chairs and umbrellas for $35 BBD but you get $30 BBD credit at the restaraunt - Good deal all around! Another good place was Folkstone beach on the west coast. It's a public park (not all dressed up for tourists) with a marine reserve, good for snorkeling but the sandy part of the beach is pretty limited - not enough room for sunbathing.
All Barbados beaches are public with small access roads and limited parking, however, there are no facilities. If you're the kind that just needs a towel and sunscreen you can go anywhere you want.
Anyway - we had a great time on island. Weather was good - some clouds and spot showers but mostly sunny. The Bougainvillea was terrific. You'd better start saving your coins now because everything on Barbados is $$$$.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Bougainvillea is the one that offers it all. Edged by two beautiful beaches, the resort, well known for its personal-touch and service, has 138 spacious suites which are just footsteps from the sand. Mediterranean style architecture surrounded by tropical gardens and the namesake Bougainvillea flowers create a tranquil setting, yet the location is merely minutes from south coast hotspots, making it an ideal base for exploring Barbados. Recommended for couples or families, the roomy suites all have ocean-facing balconies with breathtaking views. As a full service leisure resort, Bougainvillea has three swimming pools, a swim-up bar with daily happy hour, two beachfront restaurants, well-equipped fitness centre, luxurious Spa services, watersports, tennis court, Kids Club, Teen games room and outdoor play park. Entertainment is also offered several nights per week. Bougainvillea is a green hotel and has been awarded the Travelife GOLD award and the EarthCheck PLATINUM award for its commitment to the environment. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Alpha Holidays Limited, Holiday Gems, LoveHolidays, Travelbag, Southall Travel, Expedia, West Indies, Travel Republic (UK), TravelUp, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Bougainvillea Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bougainvillea Beach Hotel Christ Church
- Bougainvillea Barbados
- Hotel Bougainvillea Beach
- Bougainvillea Hotel Barbados
- Beach Bougainvillea Resort
- Bougainvillea Resort
- Bougainvillea Beach Resort Barbados/Christ Church Parish