“Beautiful Location, Fantastic Staff”

Southern Surf Beach Apartments
“Beautiful Location, Fantastic Staff”
Reviewed 7 April 2009

My mate and I stayed at Southern Surf for a week whilst in Barbados to watch the cricket and had a fantastic time assisted in no small part by the friendliness and helpfulness of the Southern Surf staff.

The appartments are in a perfect location - 2 mins walk from your room to a superb beach and very close to good resturants and bars. St Lawrence Gap is about a 10 - 15 minute walk so it's far enough away not to be in your face but near enough to be in the middle of the action as soon as you want it.

The appartments are simple but clean and well cared for - All have a sea view but the higher up you are the better, rooms 10,11,12 are all on the top floor.

If your after a luxury hotel type of holiday - look elsewhere. If your after good quality self catering in a fantastic location - then this is for you.

What really makes it special are the staff - they really do seem to care about their guests and if you want any help/assistance they can't do enough for you.

I've stayed at Magic Isle and Coral Mist on this same stretch of coast in the past and both are nice, with the advantage of being on the beach side of the road (You cross the road to get to the beach from Southern Surf) - but they are not in the same league for customer service as Southern Surf.

Really, really a lovely place to stay

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
3 Thank BrummieGaV

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Washington, DC
Reviewed 2 February 2009

This was the third year in a row that we went to Barbados. We love Rockley Beach, so always stay nearby. This year we decided to try Southern Surf Beach Apartments because of the reviews here. It also was more affordable than where we had been staying.

We were not disappointed. Southern Surf is a small apartment development and directly across the street from the beach. We stayed in a deluxe studio right next to the road. Others have commented on the road noise, but it didn't bother us because we live in the city anyway. Still, the road noise isn't that bad and most people can probably get used to it quickly.

The room was clean and had everything we needed: small kitchen, coffee maker (I recommend that you bring your own ground coffee), TV, wireless Internet access, TV, couch and balcony. What else do you need?

If you prefer more privacy with whom you're staying, a studio apartment is not the place to stay. You might prefer a suite at another hotel. But if you're comfortable with your companion in a small space (including sharing the bathroom/loo, which has a louvered door), Southern Surf is for you.

Besides the beach, there is a grocery store and convenience store nearly, where you can buy food, drink, snacks, liquor and more. There are many restaurants nearby (including two great sports bars, fast food, etc.), not to mention St. Lawrence Gap. There's a taxi stand a couple of blocks away, as well as the buses, which will take you anywhere.

Finally, I want to comment on the management at Southern Surf. From the day I started inquiring about a room to the day we arrived, and all through our stay, we were treated like royalty. The comfort and safety of their guests is their utmost concern. We will be back; Southern Surf Beach Apartments is our new home in Barbados.

• Liked — Outstanding management and staff
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Cozmot
scotland
Reviewed 1 February 2009

We found Southern Surf through tripadvisor, we joined tripadvisor just to leave a review for Southern Surf as we feel the Hotel & Staff deserve the credit!
The location is perfect, 2 seconds from a beautiful sandy beach, all the hotel rooms have a fantastic view but the higher you go, the better the view!! The pool is great but being so close to the beach, we never got the chance to use it. The staff make your stay very welcome, any question you have, they have the answer. We would go back in a heart-beat.

• Liked — Location & Price
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank clakenScotland
Montreal
Reviewed 11 January 2009

We stayed for ten days with our two boys (1 and 3) and the staff was exceptional, from Lara at reception who went out of her way to get us a booking for the buffet at another hotel, all the way through to the lovely women who cleaned the rooms (and with two boys we certainly kept them busy!) The rooms are clean, the kitchen adequately equipped for simple meals, the pool is beautiful and the picnic area is great if you have small kids as there is lots of shade, but its outside, so no feeling trapped in the room. Also, Accra is the best beach and Cheffettes (Mcdonalds has nothing on this institution in my books) is within walking distance. There are also a 99 store and a Big Bs you can walk to for groceries. Southern surf's location is truly ideal. We wouldn't go anywhere else anymore...unless we finally decide to move to the island!

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Having to leave it
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
6 Thank SunMum68
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 November 2008

We spent two weeks at Southern Surf and cannot fault anything about our stay.

It may be a bit repetitive of me, considering the previous reviews but it's true, the staff are friendly and helpful, apartment clean and well maintained in an excellent location! I can't think of anything i can add apart from i would recommend staying at Southern Surf to anyone.

We ate out every night. Our favourite places were Coast which is at the entrance to St Lawrence Gap (on the left as you face into the gap), Just Grillin and the Chinese (don't know what it's called) which are both about a 5min walk turning right out of Southern Surf, both are welcome inexpensive options compared to restaurants at The Gap and we enjoyed our food at both of them just as much as the more expensive places.

We went diving with Eco Dive which was excellent and hired a taxi through Southern Surf for about 3 hrs for an island tour, which we felt was good value and worthwhile.

We would love to return to Barbados and Southern Surf!

• Liked — Can't decide on just one- Location, Staff, Clean apartment
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Joliday
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 23 November 2008

I just came back from Barbados yesterday (11/22/08).

I booked my reservation with Southern Surf Apartments after reading all of the wonderful reviews on Trip Advisor and I can happilly say that everything mentioned was true!!

Audra, Tony, and Rachael were pleasant and made me feel very comfortable during my stay. I was vacatioing alone in Barbados and Audra was particularly helpful with recommending tours, safe travel areas, and she even showed me how to take the bus to Bridgetown.

Tony provided me with a free cell phone during my stay and I only had to pay for the phone cards!

The room was perfectly clean thanks to Sandra the housekeeper!

The kitchen contained every pot or utensil you would need to prepare meals.

I always drink bottled water in the States, but I drank tap water in Barbados and it was delicious.

If you like to read, Southern Surf has a small library where you can check out books.

All of the rooms have a view of the beach which is separated by a busy road. There is some noise from the road during the day, but in the evenings, it is very quiet and you can hear the crickets and frogs, which I found to be soothing.

The location was great! The hotel is within walking distance to a variety of restaurants, bars and a grocery store. The grocery store is rather expensive, so I just purchased fruit, breakfast food, coffee, and snacks. I had lunch or dinner in Christ Church. One of my favorite restaurants is Just Grillin. The food was delicious and affordable.

My only complaint is that the shower did not have a hand rail and if you are not careful, you can easily slip and hurt yourself. I had to hold on to the shower curtain often when getting in and out to balance myself. An easy solution is to buy tub rubbers that are applied to the tub basin and will prevent slipage.

My tour recommendations are: Cool Runnings Catamaran Cruise and the Island Safari

I will definitely stay at Southern Surf during my next trip to Barbados and I highly recommend them to anyone looking for a nice and affordable hotel!!!

Rachel B.
Los Angeles, CA

• Liked — It was clean, fully furnished, and affordable
  • Disliked — The tub did not have a hand rail
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled solo
5 Thank rburr
wokingham
Reviewed 18 October 2008

My husband and I stayed in Southern Surf Apartments in October 2008. The location was great as it was opposite a gorgeous beach and within walking distance to shops, bars and restaurants.

The apartment itself was fully equiped with all the essentials including beach towels, iron, iron board, hair dryer etc. In the kitchen along with the essentials, we found a toaster, kettle, microwave, coffee maker, wine glasses and everything else you normally keep in your own kitchen.

Our apartment was very clean and tidy. There's a cleaning service provided every day. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful when it came to organizing trips and other activities available on the island.

As we visited Barbados during the rainy season, we happened to have a few rainy days, the staff were doing their best to assist us with all our needs.

Fantastic apartment, great location, gorgeous beach and friendly & very helpful staff.

We truly enjoyed our holiday and would recommend to visit Barbados to everybody and stay in Southern Surf Apartments.

Maggie, Wokingham