“fantastic value”

Southern Surf Beach Apartments
Reviewed 2 February 2010

I booked Southern Surf apartments after reading the rave reviews here on TA. At first there was no availability at all, but then the goodluck fairy waved her wand and someone cancelled and the lovely people in the office contacted me to offer me apartment 12 in mid January; I changed my plans and booked in for 2 weeks starting January 18, at rate of $135 US a night including taxes. I am so glad that I did so.

The apartments are fantastically located - absolutely everything you need (laundromat, second hand bookstore, supermarket, restaurants, fast food place Chefettes...) is within a 5 minute (10 if the heat gets to you as it did me at times) walk from the front gate AND there is that incredible beach calling you directly opposite the front gate. No wonder everyone I met (a VERY friendly bunch) had been coming here for years (decades in some cases!) and book “their” apartment for next year as soon as they get here: I have to admit that I did exactly the same thing mid trip - I’ll be back next year.

I was in studio 12 - top of the building, far corner and it was perfect - private, view of both the pool and the beach, incredible breezes blowing through when you open the door. Funnily enough, I didn't even mind all the stairs - it made me feel better about the lying around all day doing nothing... The apartments are small studios; the main room has 2 singles made up into a king bed, a small table and two chairs, two bedside tables, a chest of drawers and a double wardrobe and a matching cupboard with a digital safe. The floor is tile. The kitchen is truly the tinest kitchen I had ever seen but in it is a small fall-sized fridge/freezer, an electric stove/oven, a microwave, toaster, kettle (and coffee maker). It is fully equipped with plates and cutlery, pots and pan, kitchen utensils, and some tupperware storage containers, mixing bowls etc. You wouldn’t want to be cooking for a dinner party but its absolutely fine for basic holiday cooking. The bathroom is likewise small with a shower over bath, lavatory and sink. I couldn’t get the light over mirror (the only light in the bathroom) to work, but I managed without a light ok.

The balcony is a really nice big size with 3 chairs and a table, and I spent many hours in the shade reading, and drying my togs and towels in the sunny half in the afternoons - and the view was a delight. It IS noisy - the cars never stop going up and down that road, and a couple of times we got big noisy motorcycles and boy louts with their stereos: I took to sleeping in my foam earplugs and it was fine after that: each morning at 5am I would turn off the air con and open the doors wide and then lie in bed in the delicious cool breeze watching the sun come up: paradise.

There is wireless internet - it was definitely patchy and kept cutting out, but again, I managed to check my email every day and download some of the TV shows I was missing from the itunes store - it took a few days but i got there. One day the server was down and the office staff gave me money to go to the internet cafe down the road so I could check in.

Which brings me to the other fantastic thing about Southern Surf: the staff. They are just wonderful, friendly, professional, willing to help you in any way they can. They were all fantastic, and a big part of the experience. They really go make you feel like a part of the family and I could tell that this was a huge part of the reason that their guests keep coming back year after year. I’m already looking forward to my next visit!

Just a couple of other tips: I went out with Calabaza for a catamaran snorkle trip and they were fabulous - the turtles were so friendly, it was amazing. to be honest the snorkling was pretty so-so: we went to Folkstone Marine Park, where they have sunk a couple of vessels for the tourists to look at, but the coral is dull and not that plentiful and while there were lots of a couple of types of fish, it really wasn’t all that impressive. The snorkling at Accra (man made reef off the beach) was better. But I would go out with Calabaza again just for the experience. I also went out with Ted for his famous Ted’s Tour and it was INCREDIBLE - he is just hilarious. The bad jokes start rolling the minute you get on the bus and they just don’t stop until you get off again at the end of the day; they’re so bad they’re funny. We went all the way around the island, with 4 stops (Speightstown, Cherry Tree Hill, Bathsheba (lunch stop), and St Johns) which doesn’t sound like much but it was a full day with tons of great photo opps. Loved it - if you have a day, definitely don’t miss it.

other highlights - Bridgetown is a small and interesting city - make sure you have a hat and sunscreen (I ended up using my umbrella as a parasol - its HOT) and a walking-tour already planned out before you go; it would be easy to give up in the heat and that would be a shame, the church, the synagogue, the museum at Parliament, Queen's Park - they are all worth checking out. The buses are cheap and well organised and will take you anywhere you need to go...

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled solo
6  Thank emah

Reviewed 28 January 2010

Well, I can just echo all other reviews! We have stayed in the apartments for two weeks last December / January and would come back and can wholeheartedly recommend the place.

1. The rooms are super clean, kitchenettes well equipped and balconies spacious. Yes, the road is noisy, there's no denying it but who spends all day in the room with the balcony door open?

2. Great Rockley beach is just across the road. Apart from enjoying the great surf etc. you can walk (or jog) along it, following the Boardwalk and some more beach all away to the Hilton Hotel. We often walked thru the hotel, then back onto Carlisle bay, past the Grand Barbados Hotel and all away to Bridgetown! It is a looong walk tho but worth it! If it is too much coming back, the local buses are super cheap (have a correct change ) and aplenty. For BD $ 1,50 you can get anywhere on the island. We visited the most remote places on the island by bus!

3. The apartments are close to the supermarkets and well priced food places. Just Grilling and Burt's Place next door is great for no-fuss dining. And Chefette! Their salad bar is great if you prefer healthy options and for 14 BD$ (7US$) you get a BIG box to load with stuff and take back to your apartment!

4. A little tip! For drinks, go to the little bar (looks very low key) by Allamanda hotel (along the Boardwalk). They have the cheapest drinks around and it is a great spot for sunset and people watching... And do not miss the Oistin's Fish Fry on Friday! It's like a big (fishy) BBQ with music and a great vibe!

It not our first stay in Barbados but first one in Southern Surf and I'm sure we'll make this lovely hotel to be our "regular" in the future.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank adaman
Reviewed 24 January 2010

Just returned from Southern Surf - love it. Apartments were great - everything you need for your holiday. Location is perfect - opposite an idyllic beach and walking distance from shops and restaurants, both reasonably-priced and expensive. Okay, so the traffic is a little noisy, but sleeping is fine, no problem. It's good if you like to people-watch from your balcony. What makes the place really memorable, though, is the welcome from the staff, and the fact that they make it their business to look after your every need with the utmost care and attention. On the second day, we booked for next year.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank uzespournous
Reviewed 10 January 2010

Just back from a fabulous 11 night stay in Barbados. The Southern Surf is in the perfect location, you have Rockely Beach just across the road, there are some great restaurants/bars in walking distance and if you wanted to go into the city (Bridgetown) there is a bus stop just a minute walk. The busy main road in front of the apartments didn't bother me at all, maybe because I'd sleep through any noise!!!
The staff are first class, they came out of the office to greet us as we arrived. They all are extremely nice and friendly and will help you with whatever you need.
You are able to access free wireless internet in your room, this was essential for us near the end of our trip and due to weather conditions we were able to keep up-to-date with airport information.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank SnoopSligo
Reviewed 9 January 2010

We stayed for 4 nights in 3rd floor deluxe suite, 2 adults and 1 teenager and had 2 double beds. The hotel is the cleanest place I have ever stayed at. The kitchen had everything we needed. We borrowed boogie boards everyday and enjoyed the beach acrross the street. We rented chairs and umbrella at the beach for $15.00 US when needed. They also supply beach towels at the hotel. There is a busy road in front of hotel and cars stop to let you across the road. Only downfall is the noise of the road which you get use to after a while but is a pain in the you know what. The balcony is great and private due to the angle and enjoyed sitting out for coffee and drinks daily. You could see the oceon from our room but there is some tree blockage. If 4th floor available and you do not mind stairs would book that for better view. We brought peanut butter and cereral with us and walked 10minutes to grocery store for other breakfast stuff. We ate out for lunch and dinner and found many restaruants near by. Just Grillin our fav and also Chefette was good food low price, we also ate at Bert's next door. If you are looking for high value close to beach with kitchen and balcony and an extremely clean place without paying an extra $100.00 per night to be right on the beach this is the place to be. I am a light sleeper and was concerned about the road noise and brought ear plugs but never used them as I think the mix of out all day and the rum and the air conditioner I slept well. The air conditioner is very good and quiet.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank lynz001
Reviewed 1 January 2010

We could tell from the moment we arrived that this is a happy hotel. We were received as if we were family members of the staff, and it only got better from there. The hotel is small so you get to know other guests and staff if you want to (which we did). And the whole atmosphere is that of intelligent care. (Which is a rather rare combination!) Audrey and the others fixed us up with excellent taxi drivers, tours guides and ideas for what to do and how to do it in a fun and economical way. (Tip: the bus system is fun, cheap and runs everywhere almost all the time. Try it out instead of taxis for once.)
The location: Well - it's 50 meters from Accra Beach which is one of the best on the island. We jogged on the newly built boardwalk every morning. Stores and restaurants are within walking distance. But yes - you do have to cross a road in order to get to the beach. And if you wouldn't have to do that you'd probably have to pay 2x the rates. We had no problems with it, but would not let the kids (age 7 and 10) cross the street on their own. All in all: It's very easy to understand why this hotel keeps on winning awards.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank harrall
Reviewed 15 November 2009

My wife and I headed to the Southern Surf on recommendations of some friends (who would be joining us a few days after we arrived). The Southern Surf lived up to, and beyond, everything we were told about it.
As our taxi pulled up, Lara and Audra came out of the office, not just to welcome us, but to introduce themselves and to make us feel welcome. Those two ladies had us more confident that we had made the right decision on staying at the Southern Surf.
LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION: As others have said, straight across the street (and the traffic will stop to let you cross if you just wait one minute) from the best beach in Barbados.
Rooms: A great size and fully equipped.
The support staff were very pleasant people and always had time to chat with you.
Hopefully we'll be back in July 2010.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
#6 of 8 in St. Lawrence Gap
Beach View
Beach View
#1 of 26 in Saint James Parish

Been to Southern Surf Beach Apartments? Share your experiences!