“Unfriendly staff in an isolated hotel”
Review of Sunbay Hotel

Sunbay Hotel
Reviewed 21 July 2011

We stayed at Sunbay for 5 days in late July and we fully agree with the two reviews below which describe the reception staff as mostly unhelpful and unfriendly. They were civil at best in a few cases but generally made us feel unwelcome and uncomfortable, as they would barely respond to friendly greetings and the male night clerk snapped at us when we asked a question about nearby restaurants.
We would not stay here again, not only because of the lack of courtesy on the part of the reception staff, but also because of the location. Sunbay is neither on the main road nor on the beach, and is on a street which gets very deserted especially at night. We visited a few other hotels during our stay and Sunbay was the only one which didn't have a lively feel or much activity. It was definitely a mistake to book this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank lennie01

Reviewed 19 July 2011

First impressions are ever lasting and the bad impressionof Sunbay will resonate in my memory for a long time. I booked this hotel through AA.com because of all the amenities it claims to have but when we got there the old male receptionist didn't seem to have a clue about the amenities and also asked us to pay more than we had already paid to AA.com. He also said there was no free wifi which was critical to my stay because I'm doing a doctorate and need to study online. I was very disappointed with the reception and cancelled my reservation immediately and left. The Barbados Tourism Authority must really looking into the quality of service given to visitors especially blacks.

• Stayed: July 2011
2  Thank aajean32
Reviewed 18 July 2011

I stayed at the sunbay hotel with my family for a period of 7 days. Overall i found the hotel and accomidation to satisfactory but my overwhelming memories of the stay at the hotel is the ignorant nature of every member of staff at the reception desk. On many occasions i greeted these members of staff with hello, good morning, good evening etc and was met with no response and just blank stares, I have travelled extensively through the years and never came across such ignorance. If staff were friendlier i would say this hotel was fair value.

• Stayed: June 2011
2  Thank Stephen163
Reviewed 9 July 2011

we have just returned from a week at sunbay hotel, it was a lovely hotel very clean and friendly staff, however the hotel advertised is the sister hotel the beach club, on arrival after a long flight there was no bar or even drinks machine to purchase water, there was no shop on the hotel site, we booked the hotel as i have asthma and needed to be on the beach however it was only a short walk to the beach through the beach club hotel but this still proved difficult with the hot weather , when asked to re locate to the beach club we was told it was another 90 dollers per night which we couldnt afford ,given that the sister hotel only had 30 per cent occupancy and we had paid for our room at sunbay i cannot see the problem with a straight swap , had sunbay more ammeneties e.g. a bar or shop it wpould have been much better , if we wanted to relax round the pool, we still had to visit the beach club to purchase even a bottle off water , i find thisis false advertsing when u type in the name of the hotel , it gives you the impression you are staying at the beach club with all there facilities , there was not one night of entertainment at sunbay and we even had to change travellers cheques at the beach club, i enjoyed barbados but would not stay at sunbay again

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank lukesnanna
Reviewed 27 June 2011

I booked my holiday to Barbados through Expedia. I'll start off with the not so good.

When I arrived my hotel booking could not be found. This had nothing to do with the hotel...the front desk staff was excellent . Fortunately I had my paid receipt for my trip on me so I was given a room despite the fact the couldn't find my booking electronically. It was all sorted out the next day which was good.

My main issue is with what was advertised when I purchased my trip. I don't think this is the hotel's fault, just bad marketing. I was told by Expedia that the trip would include breakfast, lunch and dinner and that there was a fitness center. These were 2 major reasons I stayed there. As a side note I have visited Barbados numerous times, and don't consider myself a high maintenance traveler but I do expect the basics.

I was told that only breakfast was served at the hotel and that my lunches and dinners would be at the sister hotel down the road a little...this was NOT what was advertised..yes the walk is short but when you go to a place that says all meals included their is the normal expectation that the meals will all be at the same place. Travelling alone I found this annoying but I adapted. The same thing with the fitness center...Sunbay DOES NOT have a fitness center as advertised by Expedia...there is a sign for one but it's a big storage room. The fitness center consisted of 1 treadmill, 1 bike and some weights and was again at the other sister hotel called the Barbados Beach Club. It just irked me that it wasn't what was advertised.

The rooms were decent, basic but VERY clean, hot water, towels, fridge. No coffee maker or kettle but not a big issue. Air Conditioning worked great. Wifi is throughout hotel which is great but it cut out my 4 thday there and came back on the 5th..not a huge concern but go there knowing that it can happen.

The pool area was nice and clean. There were lots of chairs available, but they very warn out but at the end of the day who cares...sitting my the pool is nice regardless.

The Staff
Amazing staff....I can't say enough nice things about them. Sharon who managed the breakfast area in the mornings was fantastic...always with a smile. Katrina at the front desk was super nice and friendly and Gwen helped me out a lot with my booking issues and when the shuttle bus driver came almost an hour late she made me feel like she cared which made a world of difference...a truly lovely lady.

All in all the staff made my stay enjoyable. I don't think I would return because I didn't like having to go to the other hotel to eat and use the gym but that's just my opion. For someone else it may not bother them. I wouldn't deter anyone from going there but I don't think I would recommend it as a great place to stay either...I think it's an ok place but I can't give it a higher recommendation.

Hope this helps.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank Evamaroo
Reviewed 7 April 2011

We were pleasantly surprised how close to the beach Sunbay is. Literally across the street from a small beach or across the beach and through the Barbados Beach Club lobby to a larger beach.

Although our room did not have an ocean view when we stepped outside the front door we could see & hear the ocean.
The location of the hotel was very convenient 15 minutes from the airport - we were a party of 9 and a taxi was 31 US for all of us each way.
For transportation to Oistins, Bridgetown The Gap & everywhere in between shuttle buses are available a block from the hotel for 2 Bajan or 1 US dollar(s). And there was always a few taxi's waiting outside for those who did not want to take the bus

The staff at Sunbay was friendly & helpful
Rooms were clean and housekeeping did a wonderful job
Palm view resturaunt is affordable, the food was tasty and we loved the homemade rum punch !!
The pool area is quiet & peaceful with plenty of lounge chairs in the shade to break from the heat

Sunbay hotel helped to make our carribean vacation a memorable & affordable one, we would definitely stay at Sunbay again

Room Tip: 3rd floor facing front of the building
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank RachaelG05
Reviewed 2 April 2011

Key facts, large rooms, balcony, free wifi, breakfast included in the rate and good power showers..!! Add to this for Barbados high season room rate through Expedia $100 US a night.

If you want a nice quiet hotel, with very friendly and helpful staff then this is a very good choice, wifi connection fast and continuous, taxi rank just across the road.

Okay it is not in the Gap area, but that means that it is quiet, it is less than five minutes drive to Oistins and the entertainment area, it does not back onto the sea but it is just across the road at the front of the hotel but what it does have is a decent pool.

If you want to experience a Caribbean hotel, and Caribbean hospitality then this is a good choice, have travelled extensively in Barbados for 10 years and this ranks high on the hotels available.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
Tropical Winds Apartment Hotel
Tropical Winds Apartment Hotel
#3 of 4 in Saint Philip Parish
Butterfly Beach Hotel

Been to Sunbay Hotel? Share your experiences!