“Better than I Expected.”
Review of Sunbay Hotel

Sunbay Hotel
Brooklyn
“Better than I Expected.”
Reviewed 5 March 2012

My stay at sunbay Hotel this past weekend (2 night stay) was really nice! Reading other reviews made me very skeptical, but I will say, I was not disappointed. Great for couples who just want to get away for a little time. It's close to the beach and you can pay 15-20 dollars for a taxi to drop you by st. Lawrence Gap. Sunbay is not an all-inclusive, its a nice hotel, that accomodates its guest, they have wifi, that really works which is a big plus. Would stay there again for sure.

I had the best steak ever from Pisces Restaurant, St. Lawrence Gap, Christ Church, Great Margaritas at cafe Sol, thumbs up, they stay open till 1 am.

After that you can grap a burger from the lady in St Lawrence Gap located in front of Sugar night club. Thanks Sunbay your restaurant staff was nice as well, I only had breakfast there but you can also have a full brakfast if you wish. not only the continental.

Room Tip: Every room has a balcony...pool view is nice to wake up to.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Polish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2012

My boyfriend & I have just spent a week at Sunbay and honestly couldn't have asked for a better hotel. The room, bathroom & balcony were really big; there was loads of storage; the bed was absolutely enormous; there was a fridge, freezer & aircon; we had free wifi in our room; the bed was made, room cleaned & fresh towels provided daily. We had everything we needed.There's plenty of sunloungers by the pool if that's your thing, or use of the sunloungers on the beach in front of the sister hotel. We used the sister hotel's tennis court several times for free. The staff at Sunbay were friendly and approachable, & could answer all of our questions. Breakfast was nice - exactly what they say it is - 2 slices of toast, a croissant or 2, a pastry, jam & marmalade, juice, unlimited tea & coffee. I looked forward to it!

Naturally we were a little concerned having read some of the negative reviews. But reading in more detail, people are complaining about the lack of TV channels and the quality of food in the hotel restaurant!! I certainly didn't go to Barbados to sit in my room watching TV or dine at a budget hotel. Sunbay is in the perfect location to walk to or get a $2 bus to St Lawrence Gap, Oistins & Bridgetown so there's a vast choice of really good restaurants! There was a directory in the hotel room of resturants, nightclubs etc. but they tended to be the more expensive ones.

My only negative comment is that our safe jammed shut on the first day and thereafter didn't work. A maintenance man came to drill it open for us the same day so we could retrieve our belongings and we just had to keep them in a drawer for the rest of the week.

I would definitely recommend Sunbay!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lucy S
North Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 9 February 2012

We read some reviews but still decided to go to sunbay hotel and judge for ourselves. We really cant understand what the problem is. Check in was speedy and friendly, the room was basic but clean and the pool and garden was a beautiful setting to wake up to. The bartender really made our stay great. He always made us laugh when my wife and I were watching footy at the bar. We will be back to Barbados soon and we will definitely be staying at this lovely little place.

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking the pool
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Ryan F
Reviewed 8 February 2012

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in my life
My bed and room was swarming with ants. I had to change rooms at 3 am. The room the security guard (no night front desk) gave me was equally bad with more ants on sheets and pillows. I changed rooms again. No apologies the next morning no manager present or would take calls. Avoid at all costs. And never. Ever stay here

• Stayed February 2012
5 Thank Richcomedy
BBCpropertymanager, Manager at Sunbay Hotel, responded to this review, 9 February 2012
Dear readers,

As I dealt with this situation personally, I am very disappointed to see it appear on TripAdvisor in such a distasteful and one sided manner. I spoke with this guest twice on the morning of this incident, so allow me to provide the facts of the matter as well as what the reviewer conveniently failed to mention:

• Upon our Executive Housekeepers inspection of this guest room, a sandwich wrapper was found in the bed with the ants… a wrapper which the guest admitted was his. Sunbay Hotel is a tropical oasis featuring lush animal and plant life… if you lie down with food wrappers you will get up with ants.

• Many properties of our size and rating do not have a 24 hour front desk.

• The review speaks about the security guard but I see no mention of the front desk person who the guest himself stated was excellent in dealing with the situation. However, this is what we have come to expect from certain TripAdvisor reviews.

• The review claims that no manager was on hand that morning to deal with his issue. I suspect this review was written in anger before the guest spoke to me… The General Manager. I apologized for the inconvenience, offered explanation and even provided the compensation that he demanded. Two conversations, one in person and one over the phone, spanning over 30 minutes and yet, we must again go over it for the entire world to read… Why?

In summary, this is a totally unnecessary and angry review.

Adam Broome

Travellers are raving about these Christ Church Parish hotels

Crossville, Tennessee
Reviewed 21 January 2012

Stayed at the Sunbay overnight in January. From 1st inquiry via internet to check out found people to be friendly and efficient. Staff at check in friendly and bell boy helpful. Room pretty standard, but found the king bed very comfortable. Nice balcony overlooking garden & pool. Didn't look beyond the hotel since we were tired from 2 days travel, so had dinner in hotel. Food ok - nothing special, but not too bad.Quick check out in the morning. Will probably stay again for an overnight.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bequiabum
England
Reviewed 13 January 2012

A friend and I stayed at this hotel Dec 2011 to Jan 2012. Our room was an 'apartment' room which had an adjoining double room. The problem with this room is that it shared a wall with the corridor and the window in this was a slatted window with glass slats meaning that the corridor light shone into the room which made it difficult to sleep without my eye-mask (thank-you Virgin!)
The 'continental' breakfast consisted of a basket full of carbohydrates (2 slices of toast, a small croissant and a Danish or muffin) a very small glass of orange or pineapple juice, tea and coffee everyday. The food in the on site cafe was not very nice so we ate out every night (I would recommend the New China Garden on the main road to Oistins and any Cheffette!) Our chamber maid was very good and friendly and so was one of the receptionists but that was the limit of the staff hospitality.
The hotel is very close to the beach and it is possible to use the beach utilities at the Barbados Beach Club for free as it is a sister hotel. However, if you want a bit more excitement then you will need to take a bus to places like Oistins, St. Lawrence Gap and Worthing.
This hotel is good to use as a base but I would not stay here again nor would I recommend it.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool are quieter. Also, if your room has glass slatted windows then ask to be...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Emma_Frost
Philipsburg, St. Maarten-St. Martin
Reviewed 26 December 2011

Check-in:
The ladies at the front desk all seemed friendly enough. They were very helpful and accommodating and always had a smile on their faces.

Rooms:
The rooms are OK. Just OK. They seemed pretty outdated but I spent most of my time on the balcony which had a beautiful view overlooking the gardens and pool.
T.V had about 25 channels of which only 12 were working so I do suggest you bring your laptop. They have Free WiFi which is a plus.

Food:
Breakfast was simple. You got one tiny tiny croissant with two slices of bread, butter a muffin and orange juice. That's it. If you want a bigger breakfast you have to pay extra.
Lunch and dinner they were not serving so we had to go over too their sister hotel Barbados Beach Club to eat. Very annoying.

Location:
Besides the beach that's 30 seconds away from the hotel, the location was terrible. Nothing to do at night. If you wanted entertainment you had to go too their sister hotel. No supermarkets around except for a very tiny one next to the sister hotel.

I guess the greatness of this hotel all depends on if it's High season or Low-Season because they did advertise on their site that they had dinner, entertainment etc etc. All of which wasn't present when I stayed there...

Room Tip: Ask for a room that's not by the road side, which also happens to be located right above the lob...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business