“Cheap and comfy”
Review of Sunbay Hotel

Sunbay Hotel
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We spented two relaxing weeks in barbados and enjoyed every moment!!
Thanx for all the locals it was easy to travel around the island and enjoy caribbean life style.
Hotel sun bay was great for us; optimal pricelevel and AIRCONDITION in all rooms!! If you are from skandinavian I recommend to pick a hotel with aircondition, because nights can be quite warm.
Location of hotel is good in many ways, and staff is great.*****

juha

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I saved to attend a destination wedding for a close friend, but spending more than $300 per night for a room was well beyond my budget; thus I opted to reserve a room at the Sunbay for about 1/3 the cost and it was a really good decision.

The front desk staff couldn't be more friendly; they ensured we traded for clean beach towels each time we crossed the street to the private beach hotel guest have access to down the road.

Breakfast is served hot and there is one fresh fruit choice each day.

As for the a/c, our room was as cold as we wanted -- and that was not an option at the Crane. This location is clean, friendly and efficient. While it's not a luxury hotel, it's safe and an excellent alternative for those travelers on a budget,

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Doug N
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Recently, i stayed at Sunbay Hotel, Barbados- it was the perfect hotel. Great staff, accommodating rooms and facilities, great prices and lovely atmosphere. My 12 year old nephew enjoyed himself and we both had a ball.

I recommend this place to families, couples, groups, etc.

Thank you Leeanne for everything...

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Dave S
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Let's start with the staff, in a word WONDERFUL very friendly group of folks who did a good job at making us feel at home. The hotel is within walking distance from Oistins a great place to hang out and eat some awesome seafood. Now back to the hotel, from the front it is blah, not much fanfare. Our room which was to the front of the building had an awesome view of the beach which sounded very peaceful at nights.
The room was not US standard but very clean and a very spacious bathroom. The hotel size was in line with a Days Inn and those sort of hotels, but it is affiliated with the Barbados beach club which is a 2 min walk down the block. The hotel's location was close to the bus route from which we were able to go to St. Nicholas Abby (2.5 hr bus ride), Harrison cave (2 hrs bus ride) and the Atlantic submarine ride experience( 1 hr bus ride). All of which were within 1 to 2.5 hrs travel distance by bus which was a little long because we stop and ate and we took one bus the long way around the Island which is 21 L X 14 W miles. Everybody on the bus was friendly and the drivers told us where we had to get off. Back to the beach across from the hotel, we went in the afternoon, the ocean floor was bare foot walkable to about 30 yards out and I cannot swim, the waves were rough but that had a lot to do with the moon and windy conditions. The water color, PRICELESS.
Oh while you are there you must go to Casablanca down the block about 5 min walk from the hotel, great food and a Cheers like group of people, you will know everybody's name if you go there every day like we did from the first day. It is a bar / pool hall with a nice out front patio where you can watch your game of choice on a 50 inch screen munching of one of their delicious dishes.
Oh I forgot the hotel food,we had the continental breakfast package, not much at all just tea, toast with jam and juice. The dining area is by the pool which is surrounded by a beautiful tropical garden where birds greet you early in the morning.
Did I forget anything, let me think, hmmmmmm, if you are the type of person that has a chip on their shoulder and expect 5 star treatment, leave it on the plane because you are going to be with family and you know how family stay.
p.s. I ate everything from every street vendor I saw, never came close to an upset stomach, loved the Marlin sandwich and fish cake which just about every vendor sells and drink 4 Banks Beer for me. Also Government buses are blue and cost $2 Bajan exact fair only, the Yellow buses and white vans also cost $2 Bajan and all the buses go everywhere. OK I think that cover it after writing this I'm missing Barbados, I think I am going to have the last of my 4 Banks beers that I bought back from Barbados

Room Tip: Our room was 306, nice balcony and view of the beach
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank RunWithBulls
Reviewed 25 March 2014

rooms had air conditioning, a roomy balcony, big bathroom and the place was nice and clean. pool area was ok, eventhough we preferred the beach just opposite of the hotel (just watch out for the coconuts dropping from dem trees). location was good, a short walk to supercenter (groceries & stuff), lots of beaches also nearby so you wont get bored.

food was ok, but nothing to get too excited about. the sandwiches were a nice snack if you were a bit hungry but werent ready for a full meal yet.

the bar was ok too, cold banks and a very punchy rum punch.

overall a very positive experience!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tide666
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

Obviously people have nothing better to do with there time other than moan, had a great stay here staff friendly Deonne on reception went out of her way to help me lovely lady, restaurant staff were great always had time to chat an housekeeping staff were thorough and very pleasant. Pool cleaned daily pool area kept tidy. Lived this hotel n hope to go back soon :-)

• Stayed: February 2014
3  Thank l00psy
Reviewed 28 February 2014

I stayed at this hotel for a few days. My room was very clean, and my balcony was one of a few that looked over the road to the small beach, and I could hear the sea.
The bathroom was a decent size, with a bath and shower, plenty of hot water. There was a hair dryer, although I was only provided with a couple of bars of soap. Nice fluffy towels.
The room has a TV with numerous channels, in English ( American channels). A safe was provided, ( US $2 a day) A small fridge was also in the room. I asked for a kettle and that was provided. There was also an iron and ironing board. The room was of a good size too, with air con if required.
The pool area was pleasant, although some of the sun loungers had seen better days, and the plastic slats underneath were broken. It was a clean area.
The restaurant was basic. The hotel was all inclusive for some, and continental breakfast for others. The hotel's sister hotel was just over the road, where all inclusive could also use. Continental Breakfast was 2 slices of toast, a pastry, a cup of tea or coffee and a (small) glass of fruit juice. Other breakfast items had to be paid for (other that the AI guests).
The evening meal was a set menu. This cost $60 (Barbados) which was a soup, salad, main with a choice of 2 meats, and fish, and then dessert, and included a drink, ie glass of wine.
If you were all inclusive then the lack of choice might get boring.
There was also a "lunch time" menu that was used in the evening, wraps, burgers and sandwiches.
The bar next to the restaurant provided a variety of drinks, and also cocktails.
The was also free wi-fi in the hotel, in the public areas by reception, and the pool. It could also be picked up in some of the guests rooms.
The staff were helpful, and friendly.
A small beach was over the road, and Dover Beach could be accessed just further down the road, to which you could walk to the end, and go through an alley to the lower end of The Gap. The main road was just a couple of minutes walk away, where you can catch a "van" in either direction, Oistins one way Bridgetown the other. You could also get a bus to the airport. Cost of any trip to anywhere is just $2 (Barbados)
In all a well situated, quite hotel to which I would return to in the future.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo