“Perfect spot for a Honeymoon!”

Little Arches Boutique Hotel
Boston, Massachusetts
“Perfect spot for a Honeymoon!”
Reviewed 25 September 2011

My husband and I recently got back from the Little Arches in early September and we cannot even wait to go back! Our honeymoon was delayed a day due to Hurricane Irene, but as soon as we checked into the hotel, the staff immediately informed us that they had already extended our stay an extra day! I am sure that this may not always be the case due to availability but it was a huge relief for us and we were so happy that our vacation was not going to be cut short! We really cannot say enough great things about Little Arches and the island of Barbados, we cant stop talking about it to our friends and family. We stayed in the suite with the plunge pool and it was perfect, so much room, very clean and nightly turn down service was a perfect touch. The staff are so friendly and cannot do enough for you during your stay. Whether it is arranging for transportation, dinner reservations, restaurant recommendations, or to bring you chilled towels while you are tanning on the pool deck, they honestly helped make our stay so relaxing and enjoyable. Enterprise (Miami) Beach is a very short walk and is a gorgeous. Friday night at Oistins is a must! Lots of vendors, cheap beer, and great food made for an entertaining Friday night. Oistins is a very short walk from the hotel and we found it safe to walk back and forth late at night. We also took advantage of using the bicycles that are available at Little Arches. We explored lots of neighborhoods (again very safe) on the South Coast. My only suggestion would be to add cup holders on the bikes for water bottles! Cafe Luna is as good as everyone says it is, we ate there 4 nights and had breakfast every day. Portions are big, the food reasonably priced, and there is plenty of alcohol in your drinks. The owners cocktail hour is where we met most of the staff, the owners, and met some great friends that we spent some time with while we were on our vacation. A day trip on the Silver Moon Catamaran is a must, we had the best time. Lots of food, rum punch, and snorkeling with the turtles, made for lots of memories. Little arches is small, charming, and peaceful, and we cannot even wait to go back! We cannot thank the staff at both the hotel and the restaurant enough for making our honeymoon so memorable.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
London
Reviewed 22 September 2011

This hotel is fully deserving of its star rating, coming in at a good three or maybe 4 star. The staff are superb and couldn't do enough to help us, service that was repeated every day and by all, not just a good staff member that was the exception. The room, which was around the pool was very nice, well appointed and all you would want for a stay. There are a couple of things that let it down and will need to be addressed if they want to increase their rating, which will be possible; the towels are slightly greyish, the roof to the pool seating area needs covering to hide the what looks like chip board, and the hotel walls need painting. The restaurant is fantastic and we agree with the review that it must be amongst the best on the island. The other thing that lets it down is that the beach is a short walk away and is crowded, not empty as the promotion pictures suggest. Its location on the south western tip also leaves it open to swell that isn't the ideal that you want from a caribbean sea. In order to get to a beach you have to go to the west or north west coast and this is the other problem. The traffic here is horrendous. Getting to restaurants only 6 km away took up to 40 mins in the early evening rush hour, mainly because of the queue for the Kentucky Fried Chicken in Oistins. This manages to spoil the potential. If you want beaches and peace (although even these beaches are being washed away), go to the west coast near Holetown. If you want access to a bit of life in Oistins or nearby pub/restaurant centres and like the pool, this could be for you. In summary, great hotel, superb restaurant and fabulous service, but with downsides you should be aware of.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank David B
Twinmomma, Owner at Little Arches Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 23 September 2011
Thank you very much for your positive comments about Little Arches, we're very happy that it seems you enjoyed your stay in spite of the few problems you encountered. I'd like to address a some of those problems and hope to assure you that some of what you experienced is most unusual for the area and Little Arches.
Firstly, I think, from the date of your stay that you were visiting us during a very stormy time, when Katia was moving through the area I believe. Unfortunately this storm did have quite an effect on Miami beach in that storm surges were moving through the Caribbean and made the waves a lot rougher than usual, causing the impression that the beach near Little Arches is rough all the times. This really isn't the case for most of the year. Usually, if the "main" part of the beach is rough, the area to the north of the lifeguard station is flat as a swimming pool. This may not have been the case due to the active storms in the tropics while you were here. The beach here was somewhat washed away, but it has already recovered and is now back to it's usual condition. Miami beach recovers quickly when these conditions roll through. It's unfortunate that the timing of your visit left you with a less than positive experience of what many would consider one of the most unspoiled, quiet beaches on the island.
I do apologise of your towels were not as fluffy and white as they may have been and I have brought this review to the attention of our management and housekeeping staff. Additionally, I have also suggested that we alert the guests who have rental cars, and the taxi drivers that may be taking our guests out on a Friday night (I think you had the misfortune of trying to get through Oisitns on a busy Friday night from the sound of things) to avoid going through Oistins as the traffic can be terrible that night as so many people go there for the fish fry. That KFC drive-thru arrangement is ridiculous! All of us local agree with you on that point. It is possible to avoid Oisitins and go to any other areas via a road running parallel to Oistins, it takes no additional time at all. This will now be our recommendation thanks to your review.
Mildew tends to gather during the rainy season and we had already scheduled a deep power wash of our walls for this coming week. The roof of the seating area on the pooldeck is canvas, not chipboard. Chipboard wouldn't withstand the elements here.
Thanks again for your comments, your feedback will enable to improve and hopefully we'll see you again on another trip!
Naples, Florida
Reviewed 20 September 2011

We love this place and talk about this trip more than any place that we have been and we have traveled the Carribean quite a bit! The people of Barbados are really nice and friendly. The staff of Little Arches always greeted us by name and with a huge smile. We actually felt like we knew the staff by the time we left! The people of Barbados are the friendliest in the Carribean.

The resort is quite close to the airport which is very nice after a long day of travel. This is a big plus in my opinion!

Room: We had a private plunge pool on the first floor and a small kitchenette, which was nice. We spent so much time in that pool. We loved it! The nice thing about this hotel is that Enterprise beach is a short walk away. We went to the beach every day. Beautiful clear water with big waves that you can swim in. My boyfriend talks about this beach all the time! He compares every beach we go to, to this one! The room was nothing fancy, but it was clean and nice sized.

Breakfast was so amazing! We ate on the roof top deck every morning. What a beautiful and peaceful way to start your day. The food was REALLY good! I love the Eartworks pottery that they use at the restaurant.

The only bad thing I can say about this place is dinner. You must make reservations in advance or you will have to eat elsewhere (and there is not much around here so you will need to take a cab to another restaurant). The dinner menu is really expensive and we didn't really like the dinner options that they offered. We opted for a $300 Christmas dinner and also did the same for New Year's eve. It was soo expensive. I don't mind an expensive dinner if the food is good, but it really wasn't great. However, eating dinner on the rooftop deck under the stars is sooo romantic. They light it up with lanterns and star lamps - it just magical. Such a romantic little place to have dinner. I just wish they had a better menu.

Overall, we LOVE this place and cannot wait to go back!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Thanks for your lovely comments, it always makes our day to read that we've met our guest's expectations and you've had a memorable vacation with us.
I'd just like to quickly let you know that we've been paying attention to guest comments on this site, in person and on our guest questionnaires. So in response to the many suggestions, Cafe Luna has added, in the last few months, two additional 3 course special menus- "Back to Bajan" which features only local fresh produce and our 3 course pasta menu, both which are very popular and very affordable each coming in at less than $80 BDS for 3 courses. We feel that, along with our regular menu and our two sushi nights, Cafe Luna now offers great quality food to suit most any budget.
Pittsboro, North Carolina
Reviewed 26 August 2011

We stayed at Little Arches 8/17 - 8/20 in Room#1 with private plunge pool. It was outstanding. Exactly as shown on their website, so there were no surprises. The entire staff was exceptional and were always available for questions, help, or just chat. The food at Cafe Luna was fabulous too. Absolutely nothing to complain about. I would never stay anywhere else in Barbados. You won't be dissapointed.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TheCarribeanQueen
New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 August 2011

I just returned from a week at Little Arches, and could not wait to write a review (even though, as some have said, I wish I could keep this gem a secret so I can have it all to myself the next time I am in Barbados!).

I chose Little Arches because I wanted to really rest and relax in a beautiful, quiet setting near the beach.  I could not have chosen a more perfect place.  In addition to the comfortable and wonderfully decorated accommodations, the location is situated across from the ocean that can be seen from the roof-top restaurant/bar (Café Luna—more on that later).  I selected an ocean-facing room and woke up every morning to glorious views of beautiful turquoise water that seemed close enough to reach out and touch.

While the accommodations themselves are enough to warrant five SUPER stars in my book, the real unexpected treat at Little Arches is the staff.  I was welcomed with hugs and smiles by Cherise, with whom I had had many phone and email exchanges prior to my arrival.  The hotel manager, Sandra (who bent over backwards to make sure my every need was met), Luce, Soma, Emma, Cherise and Miss Rose (the fabulous housekeeper who remembered exactly how I liked things in my room) were all so friendly and so helpful—I can’t think of anything that they were unable to address right away – from arranging taxi service to making dinner reservations, to giving good advice on shopping and beach hopping.  They were all just lovely and made me feel like they were as happy to have me around as I was to be there. Just lovely.

Even though Barbados has many, many great restaurants (and the food is to DIE for!), I found myself at Café Luna on five of my seven nights there.  Again, the views, the food  (I must have had the swordfish on the prix fixe menu three times!) and the décor warrant five stars on their own, but the staff was the real draw for me.  Every afternoon I found my way up to the café to lounge around at the bar and chew the fat with Jason (“JP), Phil, Tito, Steve, Karalee, Wayde and Bodie.  Most days I had plans to check out a restaurant somewhere else, but in the end found myself slipping off my sandals and staying at Café Luna for the night.   I never felt so at home and so well taken care of at a restaurant (in fact, I felt just like I was at my neighborhood hangout spot after a few days!).  I will make it a point to return to get some of the signature drinks (each bartender has one, my favorite being “From Parris with Love” which is JP’s) and to just lime with the crew every time I am in Barbados.

I post this review with mixed feelings…I want to make sure folks understand just how wonderful Little Arches and Café Luna are, but I also wish I could keep this as my own little secret.  It certainly was the best choice I could have made for a week in Barbados, and I cannot wait to return!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank harlemdre
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 8 August 2011

We could not have chosen a more perfect hotel on a more perfect Island. When we first arrived at Little Arches, we were greeted by the most professional, informative, and kind staff,that ensured that our trip was everything we could have dreamed of and LITERALLY more. We stayed at Little Arches for eight amazing days and evenings. Miami or Enterprise Beach is across the way and was simply the most amazing beach that we could have pictured. Every morning, Johnny or one of the other dedicated staff members would bring Little Arches very own comfy beach chairs to wherever we choose to sit on the beach. We truly enjoyed this beach because of the little tourist traffic, and more local feel. It was not crowded and at times we felt like we were the only ones there. We followed a relaxing honeymoon routine of waking up, eating breakfast in the beautiful Luna Cafe, (which was included with our 8 night stay) and then made our when to the beach, then back to the hotel pool, which was way beyond charming, with a beautiful chandlier hanging over making night swims even more romantic. The patio also included restaurant service, and I must say that the virgin fruit punch was just what we needed at the end of our refreshing day.

In the evenings, Luz, Soma, or one of the women working at the front desk would help us to make reservations, and arrange for Andrew, our favorite tour guide/driver to drive us to whatever restaurant we chose. In the end, we felt cafe Luna was the best restaurant, and we dined at the hotel for 3 evenings.

While we went back and forth regarding which room to stay in, we were very very pleased with our final choice of the more economical garden suite. It was absolutely charming and had an amazing bathroom! When we go back, we will definitely stay in this room again.

I cannot say enough about how beautiful this boutique hotel is, and how wonderful, kind and professional the staff is as well. We truly felt the pressures of life were taken off of us, as they all made sure we enjoyed every minute of our trip with out ever having to pick up the phone!

I must also note, that we missed our flight from Miami to Barbados, and were forced to spend the night in Miami. Sandra, the General Manager did not blink twice when we phoned and allowed us to extend the trip one day with out asking us to pay for the night we were caught in a layover.

I can 100 percent say that we would stay at Little Arches in the future. It is truly the gem of Barbados!

Room Tip: All the rooms are amazing!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Dumfries, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2011

Before we arrived I was a little concerned about how far the hotel was from the beach as it is not clear in the pictures, no distance at all in fact and it is a fabulous beach. They will take a beach chair down for you and there is plenty of shade under the palm trees.

When we arrived I wondered if we had made a big mistake as the property seemed really small and I wondered what I would do as, if you like swimming, there is no pool big enough. We went in April and I wish I had gotten in the sea the minute we arrived. It was the best sea swimming I have ever known, perfect temperature and I even heard whales one day. There are plenty of quiet spots around the property to sit and read and we had our own private area in front of the ocean view rooms. I was a bit disappointed that the free Wifi did not stretch to our room (you need to be near the reception area) but it was not a major issue and I guess it avoids it being abused. There is a computer for guests to use but I was glad I took my laptop.

What I did not understand until I arrived was the reason this place (deservedly) gets excellent reviews is not the good rooms or great food but the staff. Anyone who turns up to have a nose around without staying will just not get it. I have never stayed anywhere - and I have stayed in plenty of 5 star properties - where I have felt more welcome and cared about than here. To a Brit it seems a little odd to be on first name terms with everyone from the manager through the reception staff to the pool guy but it was like that from day 1.

All the locals are polite and helpful. After a day or two using expensive taxis we used the 'minibuses' that blare reggae and seem to cram in as many people as possible, to get around. Great fun - but probably not as crashworthy as the service busses - and every trip is 2 Barbados dollars (1 US) in either.

The hotel is a converted house and is not in a very 'touristy' part of the island. There are comments about the oil tanker that moors offshore every few days, it is a bit ugly, and some aircraft approaching to land but we were there two weeks and neither was a major issue. I never heard any aircraft at night as the aircon covers just about everything. Just about everything except the sound of the waves coming in and an extremely loud (and annoying to my other half) frog.

The tours are worthwhile, I particularly enjoyed the Coolrunnings catamaran, the scuba diving was inexpensive and the seafood universally excellent.

Oh yes and we got married... I thought that the 'free wedding' may involve some dubious 'champagne', ropey bouquet and mini cake but it all exceeded our expectations. Emma the wedding co-ordinator was fantastic, we got Steve Cumberbatch to take the photos - and they were superb. We got married on the shore in front of the hotel and the premium champagne and sushi at Cafe Luna was a great, and romantic, end to a perfect day.

I have not been many places I would like to go back to but Barbados is one and I would definitely like to go back to Little Arches one day too.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
The SoCo Hotel-Adults Only All Inclusive
The Crane Resort
The Crane Resort
#1 of 4 in Saint Philip Parish

Been to Little Arches Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!