“Fabulous Staff and Gorgeous Views”

Accra Beach Hotel & Spa
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Fabulous Staff and Gorgeous Views”
Reviewed 12 June 2012

I spent a week at the Accra Beach Hotel in February 2012 and was very impressed with the friendly hotel staff, their endless efforts to meet your every need, and the beautiful oceanfront view and beach. The hotel has a wonderful 'local' feel with nearby shops and restaurants. THe upgraded suites are worth the extra for both the views and the expansive 2 floor layout that has the feel of a private villa. I forgot my Kindle and the hotel staff went out of their way to locate it and mail it to me in the US- amazing service!
JB-

Room Tip: Ask for an upgraded , ocean front room. It is worth the extra as the views are magnificent.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank frequentflyerguest

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (484)
Barbados
Reviewed 7 June 2012

Let me start by saying I've always loved Accra and despite the experience I still think it's a great resort and perfect location. I've stayed at the resort twice in the past and both times in the penthouse rooms (as it was an extended stay).

This time we were staying for just one night as part of our honeymoon (the remainder to be continued elsewhere). Having stayed at other hotels and knowing how most make the extra effort on special occasions (birthdays, anniversaries.... honeymoons etc) I decided to mention that fact when I was booking the room and that it's not my first visit to Accra. On arrival at the check-in everything went normal and we were given the card to our room and the standard voucher for welcome drinks. Got to the room and it was the standard room, partial sea view and nothing extra was done... a bit disappointing but my wife was happy (as she wasn't expecting anything extra) so I was happy.... somewhat.

We went for a reception dinner off the property and came back just about 9:00 PM, went to the bar to finally have our welcome drink and proceeded to our room. Card won't work in the door ! My wife stayed and I went back down to reception to have it re-swiped as I know this problem sometimes happens. Came back up ... still not working !! Went downstairs again ... this time he gave me a new card.... still not working !!! He then said he'll have to call security with the "master card" to see if it'll work.... about 15 min later of standing outside the room, security finally came.... still can't get into the room !!!! Security said it may be that the battery for the system in the door is dead. There is a "standard non-electric" key slot for the door as well but I was eventually told that the manager has that and he's already left for the evening. So while we wait for them to track down the manager and for the manager to come to the hotel they thoughtfully gave us another room to relax in until that happens. It's a very nice gesture however I wonder what would have happened if the hotel was fully booked ??

We finally got into our room just after midnight !!!... not quite the night we were expecting. I called back the front desk just being courteous to tell him thanks and we were finally in and he said he'll change our included continental breakfast to a full breakfast because of our troubles. I found that to be nice of him but by that time my whole view of Accra was ruined. So the next day we left way before check-out time and had breakfast elsewhere.

As I said in the beginning, Accra isn't a bad place however I still expected more (or at least something). Things for them to improve on. 1.Guest comments in reservations 2. Making sure at least some senior person is there at all times with an "old fashioned master key"

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank bajan300
Montreal QC
Reviewed 31 May 2012

I stayed at Accra from May 15th until May 22nd, it was a birthday holiday. My fiancee and I are in our late 20s. We were looking for good value but not at the cost of quality, easier said than done but we both felt Accra would be difficult if not impossible to beat.

Service - The service at Accra is very good, most of the time we were served promptly and with a smile. Every now and then when it would get busy it would take a bit more time but there was always plenty of staff to handle it. It seems the management knows what they're doing. On our last day it wasn't as busy and there were less staff. All in all the service was great.

Value - I don't think Accra can be beat in the value department. It isn't all inclusive but the location is in close proximity to tons of bars, restaurants, stores, etc. Two RBC banks in walking distance, just take the boardwalk. 1 CIBC machine right across the street, a Scotia Bank in easy walking distance as well. The hotel also exchanges money but not at the same rate, I would go to the scotia bank if you can. For what we paid during May which is still a nice sunny time to go, we're extremely happy with the value and will likely be returning to Accra. (We have never returned anywhere in the past)

Drinks were typical prices you would pay at a Canadian bar, food prices on the resort varied depending on what you ate but generally speaking it was typical restaurant prices in Canada, maybe the folks who felt it was expensive are lucky to be living in the US where things are cheaper, or even different parts of Canada. I felt the prices in most places and the resort itself to be on par with what I would have paid anywhere else at home, but the quality of the drinks and food were far superior to what you would get at home. Try the club sandwich, best I've had period. The daquiris were great, we were told a local bar did them better but the resort and Just Grillin' make a great daquiri, strawberry was our favorite.

They include the VAT (tax, service charge etc) in the price, so there aren't any surprises. A lot of other places seem to do this as well. We still tipped anyways, not sure how service would be if we didn't, but we did see a lot of folks charging it to their room without tipping and they seemed to get equivalent service regardless.

Sleep Quality - I was in a room facing the road, it never bothered us and I heard a car horn only now and then, not the way some folks made it out to be saying that at all hours of the night they constantly heard it. This is simply false, we heard it some nights, other nights never, but it was never very loud and it never woke me up, I only ever heard it when I was awake.

Once or twice an ambulance (or something) drove by, but that can happen anywhere and it didn't affect my sleep. The beds were definitely a little bit hard, but it was still more comfortable than my softer bed at home. The pillows were also of a good quality, keep in mind I was in an island view room, if you know what you're getting it's great value. You're getting a basic room with a king size bed of average quality, coffee maker, TV with about 20 channels, some have a balcony while others do not. If you don't want to be facing the old building, WestJet allows you to make requests when you book, ask to be facing the road.

Cleanliness - Everything was clean and people were constantly working(not loud, just painters), whether it was maintenance, cleaning, etc. There were a ton of staff and almost all of them would smile or say hi or make conversation with you. Very impressed with the people of Barbados in general as well as the people at this hotel. The way they helped make this into a magical vacation has not gone unnoticed. We will be back.

Location - Location can't be beat, some folks might prefer to be in the gap and that's fine, but at this spot there are tons of bars, restaurants, fast food, a beautiful beach, banks, we never once took a cab where as last time I was in Barbados we took cabs everywhere, it can save you a lot of cash especially if you aren't renting a car. The boardwalk starts at this hotel too, and is definitely worth checking out. There's the Quayside center across the road and also down the road there's another strip mall in Hastings that includes an RBC, Haegan-Daz, etc.

Rooms - The rooms weren't anything special, but again keep in mind we booked the cheapest room, we were on a budget. I would have gladly paid to upgrade upon arrival but nothing was available, when we got to our room we were facing the old building, obviously we didn't like it, the main concern was actually the lack of balcony. My fiancee loves to have a balcony to sit on in the morning, have a coffee etc. For us, this room was nice but it lacked that balcony and had a pretty bad view, not going to lie, the view is worse than the even pictures lead on.

I hate to say it because this hotel is so great but I have to be honest in my review. If there's one complaint I can agree with it's the rooms facing that building. Accra should buy that land and expand in my opinion, not only would it help their hotel in terms of the view but it would add more rooms, just my 2 cents. I'm not the type to let it ruin my holiday and neither is my fiancee, but it definitely wouldn't have made it better.

The thing about situations like this is how the hotel handles them. I would have lived with this room as the hotel was great, but I didn't want to. We went back down to the front desk and asked if we could be moved or upgraded to an ocean view/pool view. Unfortunately nothing was available, but the guy at the front desk offered to move us to a room with a balcony and better view. I wasn't charged for this, nor was it ever made into an issue, he simply took care of it and within 10 minutes we were off to the better room. Thanks to the Accra staff for being so professional and doing what it takes to make people happy.

Our new room was slightly bigger, had a balcony, better layout etc. It was facing the Quayside center and had a nice view, no ocean but you can't really complain when you're the one booking the cheapest room in the first place. The only nitpick I have about both rooms is that the bathrooms weren't the best. It isn't that they were ugly, they looked fine and were clean, but with the first room it was the layout, it was very small but they made the best of it, and it had a very nice looking shower and counter tops. The next bathroom was bigger, a much better layout and same nice counter tops. However the shower in this room appeared to have not been completed. What I mean is the first room had glass all around the shower, the second room had a curtain, and that curtain was not big enough for the size of the shower. We were in room 248. That's the only nitpick I can think of.

When I think of Accra I think of a resort that has 5 star management, 5 star employees, 5 star beach, 5 star pool/pool bar, 4 star service and 3 star rooms, but having seen photos of the ocean front/views I can tell those rooms are more up to the 4-5 star quality. I can't blame them for making the best with what they have, their location is small and only so many rooms have that pool or ocean view. Considering this, they make it a very good value for the folks who can't afford to upgrade. As long as you know what you're getting, which is a 3 star room, 4-5 star everything else, great people, drinks and food, you'll have a blast in the island view rooms. If you're expecting a beautiful room and view on top of all of that, pay the extra and get ocean view, and in your booking request to be put in one of the newer rooms.

At Accra they seem to be on the ball when it comes to service. You just can't expect 5 star everything at a 4 star resort. The value and location are a 5 star easily. Barbados is a great country and the people do make the difference. It's a safe country and you don't have to feel scared walking around late at night here, we paid about the same as we would have paid going to a 4 star all inclusive in Barbados in the end, with all expenses including food, drink, going out every day, etc. The difference is we had more variety, we left the resort often. For us due to our budget all inclusive would have meant never leaving the resort.

I don't go to such a beautiful country like Barbados with such great people to just stay on the resort all day. This country deserves all the credit they can get for their tourism and for how friendly all the people are. You don't feel like you're in a 3rd world country at all, you feel like you're on an island still, but a very safe island with great people. Going all inclusive would have meant sticking to the resort for food and drinks in our case. I didn't like the trade off.

Food/Drinks - Were always good, except I wasn't a fan of any of the Italian food offered on the menu, but I come from an Italian family so that's likely why. Drinks were good and strong, the welcome rum punch was ridiculously strong and yes, we got it promptly without having to ask. Also this is the first trip abroad I've had where I didn't in one way or another get sick, either from the ice, water, food, etc. Everything appeared to be handled in a very clean way. Food at the bar came covered, same with room service which was also prompt and good. I never had a cold meal like folks said in other reviews, all my meals were tasty and fresh. Also I drank a lot of the tap water as I had heard it was clean and decided to test the theory, I never once felt ill from it. The water tasted like typical water too.

A lot of the bad reviews I've read on here, I'm chalking them up to folks who had unreasonable expectations and people who didn't do enough research. If you use this website and Accra sounds like the right choice for you, it likely is the right choice. Don't be afraid, just go ahead and book you won't regret it. Just don't expect a 5 star from a place that doesn't claim to be. And don't expect a beautiful room if you're on a budget booking the cheapest room type. If you're expecting a nice room without the great views of an ocean view, you'll be fine. Know what to expect, if you're going during a busy period and you book island view you may not get as lucky as we did, if the view and potential lack of balcony are enough to ruin your holiday, pay the extra and just get the ocean view, you won't regret Accra in either case.

Accra is the kind of hotel that is trying to appeal to people on budgets as well as the wealthier travelers, and they do a great job of it.

If you keep all of that in mind and have the right attitude and expectations, you will not be disappointed. If you're the type to nitpick any little minute detail like a chipped tile, then you won't be happy even if you go to Sandy Lane.

Barbados like a lot of islands sometimes runs on Island time, you need to be a bit more patient than in Canada or the US, however the people of this great island make it more than worthwhile to be more patient. The food is almost always of a much better quality as are the drinks, I can wait a few extra minutes to be served with a smile and enjoy my meal or drink that much more.

I'd also like to mention that we flew WestJet and all 4 flights in total were the best flights I've ever been on. Comfortable seats, comfortable leg room, amazing staff who go above and beyond, and even some of them used Accra as their base, you know it's probably good if they choose to go there themselves. In two of our flights we had 3 seats to ourselves so tons of space, one was the flight from Toronto to Barbados, the other was the flight back from Toronto to Montreal, however the one flight from Barbados to Toronto where we didn't have that luxury, it was still very comfortable. I'm a big guy so leg room and comfort is really important. The entertainment didn't work properly on the way back but I'm the type to bring a ton with me. All in all, the 5.5~ hour flight felt shorter than the ones I took to Cuba that were around 3~ hours, I won't fly with another Canadian/American airline again until WestJet gives me a reason not to.

Thank you Accra for a wonderful holiday, I hope to see you all again and soon if I can make it happen! I used to think Barbados was a really expensive island but I now realize if you do your research it really isn't. It's a great island for travelers of all types. I will be going back for sure and I've already got my family on the Barbados bandwagon again, once you go to Barbados there simply is no turning back, you will be hooked. It has the benefit of still having that island feel, but also having a city feel too, if that makes any sense. The people give it that extra edge on other places. Even if Accra isn't for you, going to Barbados is an experience of a life time, one which I hope to have many times in my life.

Room Tip: If you book an island view ask for one facing the main road, otherwise book ocean view.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
13 Thank Steve P
tineau, General Manager at Accra Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 6 June 2012
Dear Steve,
Thank you for the feedback. I can honestly say that this has been one of the most comprehensive reviews that we have received to date. You covered everything in detail. I am very pleased to note that you enjoyed your week with us, and , as stated , we look forward to hosting you and your wife on your return.

Jon Martineau
Whitby, Canada
Reviewed 31 May 2012

We stayed here for a week in May.

The rooms are very nice, and the views spectacular.

the continental breakfast is way overpriced -- go across the street to the convenience store and buy your own for about a quarter of the price.

The pool area is beautiful, and wasn't at all busy when we were there.

My only complaint about my stay was Karaoke nights -- there were multiple of them in a week, and they ran for 4 hours at a time at the poolside bar. Unfortunately, since many wannabe singers take part that shouldn't, and they had the volume up way too loud, we couldn't help but hear it inside our room, even with the doors closed. They either need to move this indoors, turn the volume down a lot and shorten the duration. By the end of the week, we were leaving the resort when it started -- just to avoid it.

Room Tip: We upgraded to avoid the island view, and recommend doing so to avoid either the traffic noise or th...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank trapperjohn111
Cardiff
Reviewed 20 May 2012

We stayed here from 2nd to 9th May 2012 for a week following a week's cruise around the Caribbean. The hotel was everything we could have wanted following a disappointing week on our cruise.
The room was lovely albeit a little noisy facing the road but after 2 nights, my husband upgraded us to a pool/ sea view room.
After mentioning we were on honeymoon, we were given a bottle of peach fizz which was very nice.
We had a couple of room service breakfasts in the hotel, but staying on a room only basis, we regularly had breakfast across the road in Picasso's because at least you only pay for what you want to eat.
We ate a couple of times in the Polynesian restaurant at the hotel which was fabulous.
The pool was well maintained, as were the grounds and it was lovely to be able to just step from the hotel grounds onto the beach.
We couldn't fault the hotel at all, it was an amazing way to end our honeymoon.

Room Tip: If you pay extra for a pool/ sea view room, they're quieter as not facing the road.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sarah J
Guernsey
Reviewed 16 May 2012 via mobile

I have stayed at Accra 5 times now and have never been disappointed. The location is wonderful, staff are friendly but due to Accra having an increased star the beer and food prices have risen in the past year or so.

One thing that really annoys me is that at the managers cocktail party on Monday May 14th 2012 the manager was not there, which is very poor. There may be a good reason for this but no notice/info was forthcoming. Jon?

All in all I'd recommend this hotel in spite of the negative comments above.

Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed 14 May 2012

Spent six wonderful days in March at the Beautiful Accra Beach Hotel, & was very satisfied with the cleanliness, professionalism, and quality of the resort and staff. Before booking, I spent over a month reading countless reviews on the site and feel we made a terrific decision. We arrived at noon, and were warmly received and given free drink coupons while waiting for the room that was promptly ready at 3 pm. Our third floor oceanview room was in fine shape & kept spotless by the friendly housekeeping staff. The pool & beach areas were well kept and service was always available. We will recommend this hotel to anyone. Only disappointment was no hot tub on site to enjoy; (unless you had one in your room).

Room Tip: Oceanview room is positively the way to go.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
#23 of 50 in Christ Church Parish
Yellow Bird Hotel
Yellow Bird Hotel
#1 of 8 in St. Lawrence Gap

Been to Accra Beach Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!