Blue Orchids Beach Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
Blue Horizon(Christ Church Parish)
View Hotel
Southern Surf Beach Apartments(Christ Church Parish)
View Hotel
Accra Beach Hotel & Spa(Christ Church Parish)
View Hotel
Southern Escape(Christ Church Parish)
View Hotel
Abbeville Hotel & Bert's Bar(Christ Church Parish)
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
Hotel PomMarine(Christ Church Parish)
View Hotel
All reviewswithin walking distancec blockst lawrence gapsister hotelberts sports barthe security guardthe gaproad noisefridge freezeronsite restaurantone bedroom apartmentfully equipped kitchendish soapself cateringair conditioningsouth coastclean hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 March 2014

We stayed in the Blue Orchids for 2 weeks and loved every minute of our holiday.
The hotel is spotless,the rooms are cleaned every day and you can have fresh towels every day if you wish.The rooms have everything you need for a self catering holiday,great fridge,great cooker,all the kitchen utensils you require.
The balconys for the rooms all face the ocean and all have great views.
Reggie is an absolute must to speak to as he is a fantastic help for anything you need,if he recommends it do it !!!
The beach from the hotel is beautiful and the water is crystal clear.
There was never a shortage of sunbeds and the beach is kept very clean.It is also a very safe place to relax.
I only have one complaint,some of the reception staff could at least try and be pleasant or helpful.
When we left on Sunday not even one of them could at least say goodbye and we had sat for over an hour in reception while we waited on our transfer to the airport.
At least Joseph the security man and the guy from the beach said good bye to us,so I think some (not all of them)could benefit from some man management skills.Some times when you asked for access to your safe,beach towels or a general question it seemed like a problem,but I have to stress it was only a couple of them and the rest off the staff in the hotel are super helpful and very very friendly as are the people in Barbados,I don't think I have ever met nicer people on holiday.
So to anyone thinking of going to the Blue Orchids I would fully recommend it as it was one of our best holidays and we are going to go back next year for 3 weeks.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Well located. Very comfortable .very good value for price. Staff were always courteous .and helpful. Management welcome party very minimal. Beef it up or don't bother.

Overall very satisfied. Returning next year.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank sheilass106
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Our previous visit was great, C 2 a studio on second floor, loved it there. This visit I tried E 108, a one bedroom studio on bottom floor facing the pool. My major complaint was that the only A/C unit located in the bedroom was just above the head board, therefore the down draft was in arctic proportions. If the temperature was adjusted higher it was a steam bath. So we covered our heads to avoid frost bite and tried to sleep. Don't ask me why we heard chairs scrapping the floor overhead at midnight, it was mystery. That was annoying, like adding petrol to the fire. The kitchen had a stand up fan to add to the ambience, it was sultry hot in there all the time. Hey, just telling it like it is. And last just to put the icing on the cake, the bed was a granite mattress, at least my shoulders said it was. After two nights without sleep it was great to be home in my bed.
The hotel staff was great as usual, great to talk to Reggie again…they treat you like family. The hotel grounds are still immaculate and picture perfect. Loved the pool and hearing the waves while dozing...

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank underwayatlast
margaret c, Manager at Blue Orchids Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

Dear Guests,

Thank you for staying with us, yet again at Blue Orchids.

We are very concerned that you did not enjoy your stay this time with us. However, if we were told about the Airconditioner situation, we could have relocated your bed and you would not have to experience the uncomfortable temperatures.

With regards to the bed being hard, that could also have been reported to us and we would have changed the mattress for you. Some persons like a soft bed and some persons like a firm bed, and we are aware of this.

Please also be advised that the first Room you were in was a Deluxe Studio Apartment, which is one large Room. E108 is a One Bedroom Apartment, with a separate bedroom and Living area, and not a Studio.

We hope that your experience would not deter you from returning to Blue Orchids Beach Hotel and with the knowledge that you have been given, you will be able to make a comfortable decision when booking in the future.

Thanking you once again for staying with us and also for the compliments made to the Staff.

Reviewed 21 February 2014

I stayed here at the property for 10 days in February and wondered why nobody was eating at the little restaurant, particularly as it has great view of the beach and water. I read a previous review on Trip Advisor that stated "the restaurant is a problem"…which I found intriguing…so I went for breakfast to check it out myself. Enjoyed scrambled eggs, potatoes, and fried plantain - totally acceptable. So then I went for dinner with my Dad. Grilled mahi mahi fish with steamed veggies and good presentation - which we both enjoyed and felt was very good value. So where is everyone? Our server was a lovely guy and very professional is his service of our table. I should mention I also dined and lunched at top-rated restaurants "Champers" (next door) and "The Fish Pot" (west coast) several times on this trip. Both excellent.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Boutiquer
Reviewed 7 February 2014

This was our first trip to Barbados, and in all honesty despite being a firm believer in local hotels and restaurants, I had contemplated a number of the resort AI hotels. The reason was that I was lead to believe that Barbados was mega expensive - so I was glad that we stuck to our instinct NOT to go AI. This hotel and location enabled us to enjoy much more of the local flavour without breaking the bank.

The location is perfect - on one side is a more lively fun beach (Accra, a very short walk away), and on the other is an almost deserted beach - straight from the hotel with beach loungers supplied. Admittedly the sea is quite choppy and isn't suitable for small children or those uncomfortable in less than calm waters, but for us was fun.

The hotel is modest and simple, but the rooms are comfortable and clean, and spacious enough (we had a studio - D block 4th level). We did experience some road noise but nothing which really bothered or disturbed us. We booked with Virgin and requested this hotel in preference to the CM sister hotel, as was a high level room. We had maid service daily (fresh sheets mid week / fresh towels as needed), the gardens are kept very tidy and the pool serviced daily, although with the sea as inviting as it was, we never used the pool. All rooms get a view of the sea and or the beach - I don't think there's a bad view from any room! The aircon worked nicely, as did the shower.

There are kitchen facilities with pretty much everything you might need. We tended to eat breakfast on the balcony, and ate out at lunch and in the evening.

We used the café twice for late afternoon drinks - but it's bit hit and miss, though friendly.

Champers is almost next door, best to book ahead, and we went there for a birthday dinner treat - service and food couldn't have been better and the price was more than acceptable. We also ate at the Tiki Bar (Accra), Tapas, which we felt was nice but service a little cool given how friendly the islanders are, and the Chopping Board at Mojo's - again best to book, and of course Oistins for the Friday fish fry (get the bus to be there for about 6.30). There are 2 good supermarkets a short walk (turn right outside the hotel).

The bus stops are right outside the hotel (turn right) and are a fantastic way to get around the island. We followed a previous TA's suggestion and got the bus to The Crane for the beach and a nice lunch, and got a taxi from there to Bathsheba (about $35US) before getting the bus into Bridgetown, where we changed at the depot for the bus back (Oistins/Sam Lord).

We happened upon Nicholas Agard who does trips out on his 3/4 man Hobie Cat, at Accra Beach (he also hangs out near the Carib bar - a bit before St.LG). He took us out for about 3 - 4 hours all-in, for a trip to swim with the turtles, and an impromptu lunch at Oistins. A fabulous experience but not for the faint hearted or those with mobility issues - my hubbie doesn't swim but he loved it, and of course Nicholas had life jackets and snorkel gear. We had a fabulous time and it was just the three of us, so it felt really relaxed and a more 'natural' swim with the turtles.

We can't fault this hotel - it really is good value for money. On our travels we chatted to people who were staying on the west coast who really hadn't much good to say, and it confirmed that we'd made the right choice.

If staying for longer, we'd probably have hired a car for the day to see the northern coast. We did an evening sunset cruise (Tiami through Virgin), and were advised that at this time of the year (Jan) we'd probably not see turtles. The snorkelling to see the shipwrecks was interesting and the drinks and food were a nice addition.

We will be back, and we'll stay at the Blue Orchids without a doubt.

Room Tip: All have a good view - face beach/sea. D block has higher level - great sunsets. E block probably quieter - more morning sun.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple