Captain Don's Habitat
  • Breakfast included
GOOOD Resort(Kralendijk)
Sonrisa(Kralendijk)
View Hotel
All reviewsrum runnersdiving freedomdive staffdive operationbedroom bungalowshore divegreat diveboat dives a daydive lockersklein bonairenight divefront office staffair tanksmarine parkonsite restaurantfishthe cottages
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I have been to Bonaire twice and both times we have stayed at Captain Don's Habitat. overall clean resort, good staff and good food. They have continued to upgrade the property over the years! Breakfast is included in packages and is good. Excellent dives from the property and always iguanas to keep you company as you dine; looking out over the beautiful blue waters to Kline Island.

Dive shop is basic, but has everything you need and is clean. For the self sustained, it is a great well priced property and is centrally located for diving all over the island!

Room Tip: The rooms with a view to the ocean are limited, so if that is important be sure to list that in your wants!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I continue to love staying at captain Don's Habitat. the hotel and staff are always pleasant. the buffet breakfast is enough to tide you over till dinner, which is good at the onsite restaurant Rum Runners. what brings me back for my fifteenth visit to hotel is the Outstanding diving facilities. you will not find another diver operation as good anywhere. the dive guides are wonderful and helpful. they want you to love Bonaire as much as possible. the operation is efficient and makes for their slogan of "easy diving", I have never been disappointed and will return again,

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pat c
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I've been visiting Bonaire for over 25 years (off and on, as I am a professional diver) & been blessed to have traveled/worked all over the world as a Master Scuba Diver Instructor/Trainer. When in Bonaire, I have nearly always stayed at Habitat, and although sad that most of the ocean view deluxe villas are no longer available, The beds in my cottage could use mattress toppers for more comfort, and updated soft treatments (drapes & bedspreads). I continue to love the total dive freedom they offer, and enjoy the cottages off the lagoon over Ocean view Jr. Suites... During my recent visit at Habitat, I found a lot of work being done under the supervision of the new management team, and visible honest efforts were being made to upgrade and improve all areas of the resort, which thanks to Captain Don Stewart, was one of the original dive resorts on the beautiful island. The restaurant food and service was superb, although the drinks are a little pricey... The maintenance department was 'there in a heartbeat' for the very few items that needed attention, and the housekeeping department (Meechi) was wonderful and respected my desire for minimal attention during my stay. I booked for one week, but quickly realized that I needed at least two weeks. My request was met without much hassle, and I would have stayed a third had it not been Easter week and the resort booked full. If you are a diver that loves freedom, has a level head, and is not wanting a "Hyatt experience" this is your place!, The spa services are reasonable and exceptional! The photo shop is great! The food and service was superior. I made no boat dives, as I prefer not to be in a group when diving for personal pleasure, so I cannot comment on the divemasters, but some have been there a long time....... That being said, I highly recommend Habitat!! The new management is making this place fabulous once again!! Congratulations!

Room Tip: Be sure to understand what your room is equipped with (kitchen, microwave, mini-fridge, etc.) before booking to avoid confusion or disappointment. I prefer accommodations with kitchens, (one or two bedroom). Ocean view is nice, but Junior Suites don't have some ammenities that other rooms do. Website has complete details.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Wendy C
Reviewed 27 April 2014

The diving all over Bonaire is superb, so praising the diving is almost overkill. However, the unique conditions set up by the resorts on the coast like Captain Don's makes Bonaire diving even better: short boat rides (hooray!), no nutty guides telling you what you must do on every dive (diving freedom yay!) and the choice of boat, dock, or shore diving 24 hours a day. (although you do have to PLAN (not dive, just plan) your nitrox dives before 5PM as all tanks have to be pulled for that evening's diving before they lock up the Nitrox in the evening).
The hotel is of variable quality. We have always stayed in the multi-couple condos and bungalows and been very happy. We were in #7, for the second time. A little tired over the years, but honestly it works fine and the large common room and kitchen downstairs and the lovely patio made a great complement to our stay. The single couple rooms in the 'hotel' area may not be as nice, but they have a good variety of options. Add this to a very well-run dive shop with a maximum of help and a minimum of hassle, and you've got a great diving vacation and a very fair price.

Room Tip: Definitely investigate the different room types! There is a huge difference and it's worth your time to understand the differences and pick what works best for you and your family!!!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank jms-on-the-road
Reviewed 26 April 2014

This was our first dive resort experience, and we enjoyed it. While I have great things to say about the dive operation, the hotel has a lot that can be improved.

First, almost all the flights arrive to the island at the same time. Rather than having extra help at the counter, roughly a dozen people showed up in each wave of taxis from the airport. The one gal on staff could not keep up and guests were getting irritated. There should have been at least one other staff member on hand to assist.

The rooms offer great views, but need to be updated. There was no clock in the room, the toilet handle needed to be jiggled to stop it from running, and it was impossible to get clean cups or more coffee packets after check in. The one ice machine was half way across he compound. And if you don't want to eat one expensive meal after another there are no refrigerators or cooking appliances to rent/use.

All that aside, the diving setup was very nice. Lockers were located buy the pier, air tanks filled and at the ready. If doing multiple boat dives you may leave your gear on the boat during your surface intervals.

The reef begins about 30 feet offshore. With unlimited shore diving available you can jump in any time, day or night. The variety of corals is staggering, hosting a wide variety of animal life. Over five days we did 16 dives. It was only due to exhaustion that we slowed our pace a day before our deco day.

The dive team is knowledgable, friendly, and helpful. They will help you book dives in the east side of the island as Captain Dons doesn't sail to that side. The guides offer a very free diving experience; so long as you go in the same direction they do you can pick your own pace and depth. They do not abide people ignoring safety, nor do they tolerate people harassing the wildlife. They will also point out rarities you might otherwise miss, such as seahorse, squids, or lobster.

Though we bought the unlimited nitrox package we only got nitrox about 70% of he time. They also lock up the nitrox tanks at 1700, so you need to plan ahead if you want some for night diving or an early swim the next morning.

The dive shop is equipped with decent gear for rental if you should need it. Consider a package if available as rental prices per piece of equipment can be steep.

As a new couple we enjoyed the freedom to set our own pace. There are several options for additional activities (kayaking, spelunking, distillery tour, fluorescent night dives) but book several days ahead. The island of Bonaire can be very romantic, especially for active couples. We look forward to coming back, but we are not committed to Captain Dons. We will certainly be price shopping and reading reviews.

Room Tip: The deluxe ocean view does indeed offer what the name implies. However our room (72) mostly offered a view of the pool and message hut. Consider booking a room on the second floor for better sunsets.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple