Ok let me start with the bad. I made the reservations with the US office including a truck rental. When I arrived at the island after a long trip Hertz at the airport have never heard about me or my car reservation. The lady was very helpful and said that the code I had was a Budget code so there we went. Surprise! Although we were told we had a Hertz car, here was Budget with all our details. We got the car but we were told that we would have to pay for it as the resort doesn't have an agreement with Budget.
When we arrived at the hotel we talked with the staff that didn't seem to have a clue of what they were doing. We sent an email to the USA office and we were told that Ms. Radella at the Resort was going to take care of it. Here we go again to talk with the staff but now with Ms. Radella. Ms. Radella assured us that everything was taken care of and that we would not have to pay for the car at Budget when returning the car. How naïve I was!!!! When we returned the car not only we had to pay but the lady from Budget told us that nobody from the resort even called to address our case. 3 weeks of emails, complaints and calls and finally I got my money back. What a hassle... Be aware of your car reservations with these guys and what Ms. Radella tells you.
Now to the resort. Food... Breakfast very basic.. same thing over and over again. When we were there they ran out of gas and there was no egg station for several days. As it was included in the package we were stuck with it. Food... takes FOREVER!!!! As somebody else already wrote in their review go to the restaurant when you are not hungry and just wait. One day the manager was so embarrassed that he told the waitress not to charge my drinks.
Rooms.. very basic. We are a family of divers so we are not fancy at all. We were at the opposite side of the dive shop so we had our logistics challenges. Our room was made at 4PM every day. Thanks God we are not there to stay at the hotel room.
Dive staff.. Not very friendly. In the end we decided that it was just better to do shore diving to avoid the boats. One day the staff got me out of the boat I wanted to go to without letting me know and after their own cut over time. I got moved to a later boat. 30 mins lost of my vacation sleep. Talking about shore diving... The lockers are in one place and the parking is somewhat far from there. For you to pick your stuff and tanks it is a drive here, drive there so you are able to get your stuff and tanks. Be prepared. This is why most people in this resort go out on the boats. If you have to shore diving you will get some muscles!
For those with kids... There are no kids!!! Not sure if it was the time of the year but this looks like a Dutch retirement community with average age on the low 50s so have this in mind. Also if you are sensitive to European topless be aware that you will see it there. Not that my family cares but some American families may.
The good things as other already said: The price if you are willing to live we what I described above, the sunset views are amazing and the proximity to downtown that leaves you free to explore the restaurants without having to drive.
Would I go back?Probably not. The service and the staff problems were probably too much for me.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Divi Flamingo Beach Resort & Casino allows you to experience the simple pleasure of tropical life. Whether you want to lounge around all day by one of our two freshwater pools, test your luck in our on-site casino at night, relax with a massage in the on-site spa, or scuba dive and snorkel through the beautiful Caribbean ocean, our Bonaire resort offers a truly memorable experience for all ages. Divi Flamingo is colorful, laidback, and fun; our resort and casino serves as the perfect home base for divers and vacationers drawn to explore the unpretentious island and stunning waters surrounding Bonaire. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, Expedia, Hotels.com, Cancelon, getaroom.com, Ebookers and HotelQuickly so you can book your Divi Flamingo Beach Resort and Casino reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Divi Flamingo Beach Hotel Kralendijk
- Divi Flamingo Beach Resort And Casino Bonaire/Kralendijk