“Great place”

Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Kralendijk
Woodstock, Georgia
“Great place”
Reviewed 25 March 2014

we have never been to Bonaire before. We are relatively new divers,30 dives and have been to Cozumel and the Bahamas. I can only say that they were good but this place was GREAT.. Our dive masters, Ruud and Rufino were incredible. Knowledgeable, friendly and very helpful .Divi Flamingo is an older property and needs some maintenance but we knew that from other reviews on this site. We had room 207, an upstairs oceanfront with king bed. very comfortable, not big but sufficient. Coffee pot and fridge stored some snacks ( great before bed). Food on the property was excellent. Chibi Chibi restaurant served a killer blackened Dorado.. We were able to walk to downtown, ten minutes, found some great restaurants and the highlight was Gio's geleto after dinner. We rented a truck and did shore diving and explored the town.. The ONLY complaint was that we only got to stay a week,,,need two weeks to really get acclaimated. Everyone at the resort and in town were very friendly and we always felt safe. We will go back agin. Thank you Ruud,Rufino and Divi Flamingo for a wonderful and memorable experience

Room Tip: 207 0r any 2nd floor ocean front,,spectacular.. but there are no screens on sliding door
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jjcounselor
Melissa T, Manager at Divi Flamingo Beach Resort and Casino, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Dear jjcounselor,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay so much and delighted that you had such a great experience with our Dive Shop, Hotel, and Island!

We are so happy that you enjoyed our restaurant and (as we mentioned in some other responses) we are rolling out our new Menus for Lunch, Dinner and our Beach Bar. Don't worry, we are keeping our most commonly ordered and loved dishes!

We hope to welcome you back for your longer stay in the future!! We agree that 1 week just isn't enough time.

We hope to see you again soon.

Divi Flamingo Beach Resort and Casino

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
Denver
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Our group of divers had a great time and enjoyed their dives and, as the only snorkeler, I enjoyed the ability to snorkel right off the dock. While my friends were off on their dives I snorkeled and read books on the pier. Beware the sand fleas, however! Those buggers are nasty and I wound up having to get some lotion from the pharmacist. Evidently, encounters with sand fleas are not uncommon.

Our room was ok; nothing special and it overlooked the roof of the restaurant, so the view wasn't much. Of course, we weren't there for the view. It was clean and well maintained and our maid was very nice, as were the other employees (dive shop, reception, wait staff).

Divi's right near town and you can walk in to town and eat and shop. When the cruise ships come in (they are there for the day only, or at least they were when we were there) the town gets crazy busy and when they leave, it returns to normal. The Divi dive shop was very good and you didn't need to shop in town for some items, which was a good thing on cruise ship days.

My group liked the availability of shore diving and my friends also did some shore night dives and met a school of tarpin, one night. They still talk about it!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Wendy B
Dear WendyB,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. We truly appreciate your comments and are so happy that you enjoyed our employee service, cleanliness, and location.

It is always great when a group leaves happy and with a great diving story like the school of Tarpin, we hope for the opportunity to welcome you back again for a new story.

Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

Ok let me start with the bad. I made the reservations with the US office including a truck rental. When I arrived at the island after a long trip Hertz at the airport have never heard about me or my car reservation. The lady was very helpful and said that the code I had was a Budget code so there we went. Surprise! Although we were told we had a Hertz car, here was Budget with all our details. We got the car but we were told that we would have to pay for it as the resort doesn't have an agreement with Budget.

When we arrived at the hotel we talked with the staff that didn't seem to have a clue of what they were doing. We sent an email to the USA office and we were told that Ms. Radella at the Resort was going to take care of it. Here we go again to talk with the staff but now with Ms. Radella. Ms. Radella assured us that everything was taken care of and that we would not have to pay for the car at Budget when returning the car. How naïve I was!!!! When we returned the car not only we had to pay but the lady from Budget told us that nobody from the resort even called to address our case. 3 weeks of emails, complaints and calls and finally I got my money back. What a hassle... Be aware of your car reservations with these guys and what Ms. Radella tells you.

Now to the resort. Food... Breakfast very basic.. same thing over and over again. When we were there they ran out of gas and there was no egg station for several days. As it was included in the package we were stuck with it. Food... takes FOREVER!!!! As somebody else already wrote in their review go to the restaurant when you are not hungry and just wait. One day the manager was so embarrassed that he told the waitress not to charge my drinks.

Rooms.. very basic. We are a family of divers so we are not fancy at all. We were at the opposite side of the dive shop so we had our logistics challenges. Our room was made at 4PM every day. Thanks God we are not there to stay at the hotel room.

Dive staff.. Not very friendly. In the end we decided that it was just better to do shore diving to avoid the boats. One day the staff got me out of the boat I wanted to go to without letting me know and after their own cut over time. I got moved to a later boat. 30 mins lost of my vacation sleep. Talking about shore diving... The lockers are in one place and the parking is somewhat far from there. For you to pick your stuff and tanks it is a drive here, drive there so you are able to get your stuff and tanks. Be prepared. This is why most people in this resort go out on the boats. If you have to shore diving you will get some muscles!

For those with kids... There are no kids!!! Not sure if it was the time of the year but this looks like a Dutch retirement community with average age on the low 50s so have this in mind. Also if you are sensitive to European topless be aware that you will see it there. Not that my family cares but some American families may.

The good things as other already said: The price if you are willing to live we what I described above, the sunset views are amazing and the proximity to downtown that leaves you free to explore the restaurants without having to drive.

Would I go back?Probably not. The service and the staff problems were probably too much for me.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank acbor
Dear acbor,

Please let me begin by offering my sincerest apologies for the inconveniences and poor experiences you had during your visit with us. It is never our intention to have a guest leave our hotel feeling the way you did, and I hope to speak with you directly to personally discuss and apologize for the issues you encountered.

I would like to address some of your experiences with an explanation, so you can rest assured that we have taken the issue you experienced with your car along with your dissatisfaction with our Dive Staff and food very seriously. Please understand that when you booked with our shore and explore package, the car rental with Hertz should have been seamless as the Hertz car rental is on our property and we have a long standing relationship together. Unfortunately on your day of arrival Hertz ran out of cars and that is why we booked your car with Budget. We understand and accept that we as well as the car company did not communicate the issue, cause, and reasoning with you properly. Our hotel voucher states Hertz and therefore Budget rental would not accept it as payment. We of course, failed to resolve this issue immediately which should have been the case and it took several attempts for the billing to be understood and corrected. Please know this is not an excuse only an explanation to what occurred. Radella, our Reservations Manager, should have personally spoke to you to explain or asked another manager to do it so you could have rested easy that it was our mistake and we were working to fix it. I promise you we have since contacted the correct personnel so this issue would not take place again if we were ever in the situation where Hertz ran out of cars.

Please also know that our Dive Shop was informed of your comments and we are very sorry you felt they were not accommodating to you. We do have a tank pick up and drop off at our lobby entrance for shore diving, and I am truly sorry this was not communicated with you as well. We value all of our guests and divers and as you can read from other reviews, it is normal that our dive shop receive high praise for their service standard.

I wanted to also inform you that we are updating our restaurant menus with new presentations and beginning the new program within the next few weeks. We of course apologize for the situation with the gas shortage at our hotel and on the island of Bonaire. We are working on a better contingency plan if the deliveries do not make it to the island.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel on Trip Advisor. We appreciate all feedback as it helps us to do better in the future, and I promise you we are working to make sure the issues experienced do not happen again. Please feel free to contact me directly to further discuss your stay or hopefully to discuss a future stay where we have the opportunity to make the issues you encountered up to you.

Truckee, California
Reviewed 10 March 2014

The Divi is a resort geared to divers. We get up, dive all day, go out for dinner and sleep. That's what we do, and what we want. Divi has an advantage on Bonaire, in that they are right downtown, and great experiences can be found right outside the grounds.
The good: The dive shop was good. Emergent repairs, lost equipment, organization, helpfulness= excellent. prices in dive shop= very good. Dive staff good, friendly, but not great in critter finding, and not amenable to site suggestions by customers. They go where they want to go. Must ask for any help with equipment, even if it's obvious you are struggling. Most of my fills were light. In the shop however, Poppy has a mind like a steel trap. She remembers everything, in detail, no matter how complicated.
The resort has all the services needed for divers.
The average: Food. Had a great burger the night we arrived, some decent ribs on bbq night, the rest was meh. GREAT food in town
Room: first night was not good. Despite requesting a second story room, we landed in a first. Asked about it, "none available". However, multiple members of our group assigned second floor that they had not requested as a preference. I asked for an explanation. Finally moved next day. No apology, no explanation, had to ask for help to move. Phone charger left behind during move was never recovered by staff despite multiple requests. Blown off. Second story room better, vaulted ceiling, nice view.
The bad: housekeeping. My roommate and I had light brown and red hair. any time I set anything down on the floor, it came up with jet black hair. Not appropriate numbers of towels. On our second to last day, an entire block of rooms came down with a gastrointestinal illness. Housekeeping needs to learn the value of thoroughness, and bleach.
The surprises: Cruise ships did not seem to impact our enjoyment, despite their proximity.
The food in town was unbelievably good--

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank snowgoddess402
DiviResorts, General Manager at Divi Flamingo Beach Resort and Casino, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
We apologize for the inconvenience and frustration that you experienced while with us and despite not being pleased with our resort on some levels, we do hope that the remainder of your stay on island was pleasant enough and that you were able to return home with favorable dive memories of your stay on Bonaire.

Hetty
San Diego, California
Reviewed 5 March 2014

We stayed at Divi in Bonaire as members of a package tour for 23 persons.

First off, the diving was excellent, and the dive shop competent. The package allowed for unlimited shore dives - just pick up tanks, or daily boat dives. Some of our members complained there was a lack of variety, but the two of us had a great time.

I found the resort a nice romantic get away, and the price was really very good for ocean front accommodations. For this price, you can't expect the best of rooms or service, and we got what we paid for - which was fine by me.

Our hotel room had a ocean front room. None of the ocean front rooms let out directly on the beach, but the beach is just steps away. I was very disappointed that we could not sleep with the door open to listen to the waves, which I love. But there were mosquitos and no screen on the sliding door to the patio overlooking the ocean. So, we were cooped up with the AC on while we slept, and the room was a little moldy from that.

The food on the island was, by and large - so-so. Divi Resort was no exception. Wait time for service was often very long, but then it is island time. Just go to the restaurant before you get really hungry and enjoy the fabulous view. Sometimes it took 30 minutes to order, and another 30 or 40 minutes to get food.

Resort staff were friendly, but the front desk forgetful. We asked for an extra pillow on arrival and they said it would be "right there" but three hours latter - near midnight - we walked over to the front desk and picked one up.

Nobody in our group had anything stolen, despite the report problems on this site and others about break-ins.

Room Tip: Ocean Front is worth it.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Melissa T, Manager at Divi Flamingo Beach Resort and Casino, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Dear GayCouple-San Diego,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay here at Divi. We truly appreciate your comments and are very happy that you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay. We take the comments we receive from our guests both good and bad very seriously and promise you we are taking the necessary steps to improve on our Front Desk Service and Service speed in our Restaurant. We are in the upcoming months going to be rolling out new menus, plate presentations and procedures for our restaurants and hope that we have the opportunity to show you our progress in the future. Thank you for your suggestion about the screen doors on the balconys, it makes alot of sense and is something we will look into.

Thank you again for your comments, we hope for the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

The time-share apartments (#717 - 720) are big and convenient with everything you need; kitchen & appliances, fridge, micro wave etc. perfect for a stay with kids. The kids loved the pool, the big chess board, fitness area and Kralendijk at walking distance.
Do not expect a luxury resort, just a cozy friendly place.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Meesterkunst
Dear Meesterkunst,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of our hotel on Trip Advisor. We are so happy you and your family enjoyed your stay! We hope to welcome you back to our hotel again very soon.

Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

Went into the hotel on a day package for sunbathing and using the pool. For us it was a fabulous day, good beds, nice pool etc but I can understand the reviews about the place being tired and the staff were not exactly friendly.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank gribjul
Dear gribjul,

Thank you for taking the time to review your day experience at our hotel. We are very happy you enjoyed so many aspects of your time on our property and apologize for any issue you may have had with our staff. We promise you we are constantly working to improve and motivate our staff's commitment to guest service.

We hope to welcome you back to our beach and piers again in the future!